PDA

View Full Version : what systems are out there for space based exploration?

drewdp
2014-08-05, 02:28 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for a space based system.
I've wanted to do this game for a while but Guardians of the Galaxy really made me decide to do it.
I've considered the Star Wars D20 system and just avoiding the force aspect, but what other systems are out there as a decent option? The plan is to give them a ship and let them fly around the galaxies exploring derelict ships, research facilities, ancient ruins, and stuff like that.

Looking forward to your thoughts and recommendations.

I'll be drawing from:
Guardians of the galaxy
Firefly
mass effect
Star Wars
Star Trek
Enders Game

LibraryOgre
2014-08-05, 03:08 PM
My default is to say "Savage Worlds", but there's also the free (and no longer supported) d6 Space (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/20447/D6-Space?it=1). It's an improvement of the system used in some of the older editions of Star Wars.

Arbane
2014-08-05, 03:23 PM
There is a Serenity RPG.

Cosmic Patrol is a fun-looking rules-lite RPG. I've seen rule books handed out on Free RPG Day.

WitchSlayer
2014-08-05, 03:25 PM
How big of a deal do you want them to be? If it's a huge deal then you could do Rogue Trader.

Arbane
2014-08-05, 05:06 PM
Mutants and Masterminds is a superhero game, so having a psychic swordsman with an energy blade, a gun-toting raccoon, a Krogan, and a 8-foot-tall catgirl on the same team would be pretty easy.

Premier
2014-08-05, 05:47 PM
Stars Without Number. It's extremely easy to learn and run, especially if you're familiar with D&D (since it's essentially D&D in space). It has a free version which is only missing two chapters that you don't actually NEED as such unless you want to get into some specific niches. And, best of all, it's chock-full of DM's tools for creating new planets and societies and then running their conflicts and schemes in the background (if that's what you want to do).

Mutazoia
2014-08-06, 02:46 AM
As well as those already mentioned:

GUPRS
Aliens
Star Frontiers (defunct but now fan supported)
The Ring World RPG (copies still floating around so easy enough to find)
The Buck Rodgers RPG (Well that's more Solar System based but easily to expand)

There are also several versions of the Dr. Who RPG and a few other games that I can't think of off the top of my head but will take a peak at my game library when I get home in a few hours...

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-08-06, 02:56 AM
I've heard only good things about GURPS Traveller, though I have heard it ca eat characters faster than anything other than Call of Cthulhu.

The Star Trek RPG is ok.

Mutazoia
2014-08-06, 04:56 AM
As well as those already mentioned:

GUPRS
Aliens
Star Frontiers (defunct but now fan supported)
The Ring World RPG (copies still floating around so easy enough to find)
The Buck Rodgers RPG (Well that's more Solar System based but easily to expand)

There are also several versions of the Dr. Who RPG and a few other games that I can't think of off the top of my head but will take a peak at my game library when I get home in a few hours...

Ok...to expand my list:

Albedo (Furries in space)
Cthonian Stars (Cthulhu in space)
Robotech (If you can stomach Palladium)
Spelljammer (D&D in space)

Volthawk
2014-08-06, 11:16 AM
GURPS Space might be worth a look even if you don't run the system, just because it's a GURPS book, so there's a ton of general systemless information there that might come in handy. I know at the least it has a generator that lets you make in systems in waaaay more detail than you probably need.

Adhar
2014-08-07, 03:25 AM
Theres a d20 modern that could be adjusted to space exploration espically if you use ships from the star wars system

Cikomyr
2014-08-07, 08:31 AM
I think there was a Schlock Mercenary supplement published recently.

Supplement for what? No idea ;)

hamlet
2014-08-07, 08:48 AM
I'll just breeze in and say what I always to these questions: Alternity will work.

It's not a supported system any longer, but in the end, that's kind of a good thing since there's not TOO MUCH kludge to slog through. Plus, even the pre-made StarDrive setting will actually give you a lot of material to work with even if you don't use it whole cloth. Lots of good ideas in it.

The only issue is:

1) There's a pretty strong learning curve. You kind of have to get over a couple of hangups that have been ingrained in folks for the last 15 years. The rolling system needs you to think about it for a few moments until you get the hang of it.

2) It will require work on the part of the DM to set up the world including lots of things that, otherwise, he would not. Like monsters. There are a couple of "monster manuals," but really, not many monsters all told. There are templates in the GMG (game master guide) that you can use to build anything you can imagine, really, but you have to put in the work in advance to make it go.

The whole system rests on the shoulders of the DM. You have to be strong. <bad Russian accent>Strong like bull!</bad Russian Accent> in order to not break under it.

But it's rewarding in that you can do virtually anything you want with it. Even time travel with relative ease. There's a supplement devoted to it along with interdimensional (think Sliders) travel.

Unseenmal
2014-08-07, 08:50 AM
I've heard only good things about GURPS Traveller, though I have heard it ca eat characters faster than anything other than Call of Cthulhu.

The Star Trek RPG is ok.

I second GURPS Traveller. It's easy learn, use and play.

I've been playing in a 2 person campaign for many months now. So far only 1 PC death (the other player) and it was because of a catastrophic failure while trying to use an experimental weapon technology. It blew up in his face doing over 700 points of damage. Our plan was sound until that happened. Then it degraded into me running for my life and stealing a ship to get the hell out of there. But that's another story :smallsmile:

LibraryOgre
2014-08-07, 11:01 AM
I think there was a Schlock Mercenary supplement published recently.

Supplement for what? No idea ;)

They're working on it...

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/announce-smrpg-website