PDA

View Full Version : Character concepts you are excited to play

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 09:18 AM
5e opens up a lot of imaginative concepts thanks to the background / class dynamic, which gives each character the opportunity to have a dual competency. Additionally, compared to 2e and 3e, most classes seem to have been given either a boost in the form of interesting class features, a wrinkle that makes them more interesting to play, or both.

So this thread is about characters that you are excited to play in the new edition!

My first idea is a dwarven strongman, a rogue with the performer background, who takes expertise in perform and athletics so he can bend horse shoes, pull trains of fully loaded cars with his beard, and smash though barriers, bench press oxen and so on.

What classes / combinations / features have grabbed your imagination?

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-07, 09:38 AM
I'm excited to play Wizards who aren't expected to be scholars.

Especially Acolyte Wizards, just to turn the idea of arcane magic being godless on its head.

PracticalM
2014-08-07, 10:09 AM
I have a player who mostly played 2e before and is playing a halfling Wizard just because halflings never used to have much magic. His character is devoted to the God of Magic and heaps praises for the divine gift of magic.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-08-07, 10:33 AM
Question: What character concepts can you make in 5E that you can't do in 3.X or 4E?

Or, alternatively: What character concepts can you make in 5E more easily than you can in 3.X or 4E?

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 10:40 AM
Well, in the playtest I played a wizard with the spy background. You could always just say your wizard was a spy and pick good spells for that effect (in 3.5 - I have little experience with 4), but to actually get the skills needed to be a good spy you had to jump through hoops. 5 makes it easy.

It could also be a matter of a concept that was really suboptimal or difficult to do (but flavorful) in previous editions, but is now easy, like an armored dwarf wizard.

There's also this guy (http://www.actsofgeek.com/2014/08/game-the-game-5th-edition-players-handbook-preview-part-1/), who made an extremely flavorful and exciting character (basically recreated a character from 2e, which he says he couldn't do well in 3 or 4) just by following the basic chargen rules.

hawklost
2014-08-07, 10:47 AM
Question: What character concepts can you make in 5E that you can't do in 3.X or 4E?

Or, alternatively: What character concepts can you make in 5E more easily than you can in 3.X or 4E?

First answer - nothing. You could play Any character concept in 3e/4e and you can do the same in 5e. You might not have the mechanics from the game to allow it, but that never stopped roleplayers from playing a concept. Wizard who couldn't cast magic? Yup. Fighter who lost his nerve? Yep. Cleric who thinks he is a God and gets his magic from himself? Yup, seen this one too.

Second answer, in 5e it is mostly you can get part of your abilities (Skills, Proficiency and some minor benefit) from a Background. You want to play a Noble? you actually get some in game privileges without needing DM Fiat to do it. Want to say your Cleric of Palor used to be a criminal and still understands the underworld (gets contacts), yup, minor mechanical benefit for it as well as roleplay aspects.

It mostly seems to give the DM and player a quick idea of What minor bonuses you get as well as of course the RP options that every edition gives you.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 10:49 AM
Mostly I am interested in hearing about how the new system has inspired people's imaginations.

hawklost
2014-08-07, 10:57 AM
Mostly I am interested in hearing about how the new system has inspired people's imaginations.

I am looking forward to playing a Paladin who enjoys life to the fullest and is not a stuck up ***** myself. Possibly give him something like the Entertainer background where he was called to the service due to his love of life and always attempting to bring happiness to people.

I also see a Rogue as a Noble background who steals because he is bored. Probably an Arcane Trickster for this one because I love Rogue Magic.

A Cleric who was an Acolyte in a monastery that pretended to follow their gods strictures but really didn't. Kicked out (although he believes sent on a pilgrimage) to 'spread the word' when he suddenly gained his Clerical powers, least he realize the depths of corruption the Monastery has fallen to.

There are just so many ideas I get while looking at everything. The backgrounds have really helped more in the sense of throwing out ideas (and giving a basic layout) I might not come up with myself.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 11:01 AM
Ideas

Those all sound awesome. The rogue noble sounds particularly excellent, and is a fun departure from the downtrodden thief trying to stay away from the booted heel of the law and eek out a humble living or strike it rich.

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 11:09 AM
Human Criminal (with folk hero bonds ideas and flaws) Warlock (Patron: Old One, Pact: Fey or Chain )

He saved some villagers from being sacrificed and needed help so he made a dwal with the old one. However the central government branded him a criminal against the state. He snuck people out of the country and have been on the run ever since.

May change the race if I find something nice but... I'll take the feat at first level and probably nab up Resilient or War Caster.

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 11:28 AM

All of them. Right now, I'm too focused on the mechanics. But now Fighters, Monks, and Rogues don't suck (And actually play as fighters and rogues.), so they can be all sorts of cool things that actually work. And, no more bull**** "2-INT Penalty skill points/level" garbage.
And traits. Traits are incredibly valuable.

Tholomyes
2014-08-07, 11:32 AM
The notion of a spymaster druid, who uses her druidic abilities to gather information and such has always been a concept I'd liked to play, but never found the ability to do to my satisfaction, outside certain point buy systems. I've got a couple other concepts milling around, like a Oath of the Ancients Paladin, who borrows a lot conceptually from the mythological fey, but nothing quite so unique (or at least as distinct from the base fluff) as the druid concept.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 11:35 AM
Spymaster druid

Like turning into an animal to eavesdrop? That could be cool. Would he be a spy for the druid organization, or just some free agent?

Graustein
2014-08-07, 11:40 AM
I want to play a refluffed Barbarian inspired in part by Elsa from Frozen, Waterbenders from Avatar and The Incredible Hulk.

Basically, I want to refluff the whole "equipment and weaponry" thing to short-range Icebending. She has a reserve of magical energy which she uses to create and shape frozen armour (simulating the Barbarian's unarmoured toughness ability) and weapons. As she takes HP damage, the dynamic frost armour is chipped away until her vulnerable self is exposed at low HPs - cure wounds spells gives her vigour which helps her repair the "armour". Raging and such can be easily explained as her putting more of her energy into a short-term boost, which ends up mentally exhausting her. The reckless attack stuff can be explained as her channeling her focus from her defensive armour into her offense.

A lot of the explanation will have to be "because magic". Why is it only short-range? The magic only extends that far. Why does it not interact with fire/ice attacks or extreme temperatures differently? Magic ice (or maybe she does in the latter case; it's pretty minor). Why is it not suppressed by an AMF? It's a special kind of personal magic. Why doesn't she do other cool stuff with the ice? I dunno, why can't a mage "turn down" a Burning Hands to usefully light a campfire? It would definitely need DM approval but I really like the fluff aspect of this, and it's mechanically identical to a Barbarian in every way. Except we'd have to work out how disarming/sundering would work on her. What if she finds a magic axe? I dunno, maybe she takes the powered jewel from it and sets it into her glove and bam presto, the +1 and sundry other benefits are transferred to her attacks. Why not?

This is of course not "only" doable in 5e but there being less magic items around to refluff just for her benefit is helpful in this regard. As for background? Probably noble (she IS inspired mostly by Elsa). Hell, I might even make her a trans guy while I'm at it, existing in a full-body suit of frosty armour and using the resonance given by the ice to distort his voice. Strength score? That's his Iron Man-esque magic ice suit doing the lifting. Et cetera et cetera.

ImperiousLeader
2014-08-07, 11:41 AM
I'm thinking an Urchin either Warlock or Sorcerer ... the streetkid that survived on cunning and a little mysterious help from one of his parents.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-07, 11:44 AM
I want to play a refluffed Barbarian inspired in part by Elsa from Frozen, Waterbenders from Avatar and The Incredible Hulk.

You could just do this as a Monk - they have a subclass explicitly based on using elemental powers like in Avatar. Monk/Barbarian multiclass, maybe.

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 11:45 AM
I just want to say, taking the stuff from the Folk Hero background (feature, idea, trait, flaws) and apply it to the Criminal (skill, tool, and specialty) works out so damn well!

Mixing and matching background will be fun.

Graustein
2014-08-07, 11:46 AM
You could just do this as a Monk - they have a subclass explicitly based on using elemental powers like in Avatar. Monk/Barbarian multiclass, maybe.

Yeah this is true, but for some reason the refluffed Barbarian stats part of it appeals to me more, especially given my love for the Incredible Hulk and how much I think he would love singing Let It Go while Smashing. It takes a bit more stretching, but I like that there's more than one way to do a specific character concept.

Tholomyes
2014-08-07, 12:02 PM
Like turning into an animal to eavesdrop? That could be cool. Would he be a spy for the druid organization, or just some free agent?Somewhat like that. Also potentially using some druid spells (Speak with Animals, for example, would let the city rats be her eyes and ears), but I can't say for sure how much, without seeing the spell lists. As for being a spy for an organization or a free agent, it'd probably depend on the campaign. I'd lean towards for an organization, but if it didn't fit with the campaign, being a free agent would be cool too.

Joe the Rat
2014-08-07, 12:55 PM
I'm tempted to do something with Hermit Fighter, probably Battlemaster or Champion. Dude basically retreated from the world and focused on improving his sword technique. Acting as guardian over some person/object/site which has been stolen/destroyed/kidnapped optional.

eastmabl
2014-08-07, 01:47 PM
These are either characters or NPCs -

1. Warlock seems like a boatload of fun to play. I think any of the three pacts would be a good time.

2. Shirtless stout halfling barbarian, maybe with some rogue factored in.

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 01:51 PM
2. Shirtless stout halfling barbarian, maybe with some rogue factored in.Why only shirtless? :smalltongue:

eastmabl
2014-08-07, 01:55 PM
Why only shirtless? :smalltongue:

Shame. Halfling probably refers to all of their parts, even the ones they cover.

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 02:03 PM
Criminal Monk (Soldier feature, idea, trait, flaws) using either monastic tradition.

Yakuza bodyguard.

Elemental fist will have tattoos that shoot the magic...

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 02:16 PM
Criminal Monk (Soldier feature, idea, trait, flaws) using either monastic tradition.

Yakuza bodyguard.

Elemental fist will have tattoos that shoot the magic...

Awesome.

How about a Scholar Barbarian samurai? The ultimate educated warrior poet, who knows that knowledge is power. Then use feats to grab more skill proficiencies (or multiclass into rogue).

VeliciaL
2014-08-07, 02:24 PM
Soon as I saw the class preview, I got it in my mind to play an Elsa-inspired wild magic sorceress. Essentially the ice fluff removed, but the general personality the same with the same complications regarding power loss when afraid/panicking. Wild magic seemed to fit that nicely.

Graustein
2014-08-07, 02:28 PM
Soon as I saw the class preview, I got it in my mind to play an Elsa-inspired wild magic sorceress. Essentially the ice fluff removed, but the general personality the same with the same complications regarding power loss when afraid/panicking. Wild magic seemed to fit that nicely.

I thought similarly! But since I already have Elsa-inspired Plans I figured Elphaba would fit just as neatly. They're different characters, but still magical women portrayed by Idina Menzel :smallbiggrin:

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 02:52 PM
Awesome.

How about a Scholar Barbarian samurai? The ultimate educated warrior poet, who knows that knowledge is power. Then use feats to grab more skill proficiencies (or multiclass into rogue).

I kinda like the idea of a Barbarian/Bard for your warrior poet. Or maybe Bard/Barbarian depending on MC rules work.

You start off as a lover of knowledge but due to your life you had to get extreme martial training, however poetry and knowledge will always be your first love.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 02:58 PM
I kinda like the idea of a Barbarian/Bard for your warrior poet. Or maybe Bard/Barbarian depending on MC rules work.

You start off as a lover of knowledge but due to your life you had to get extreme martial training, however poetry and knowledge will always be your first love.

I was thinking more of a born warrior who strives for self-perfection in every aspect.

Knaight
2014-08-07, 03:01 PM

I'd consider a huge amount of the more archetypical stuff easier to pull off. Then there are some 5e base classes - Blade Pact Warlock looks like it basically covers the Soulknife niche, and there are way fewer hoops to jump through to not suck with it.

Prophet_of_Io
2014-08-07, 03:02 PM
Human Noble, paladin of VENGENCE.

Basically a refluffed Batman. Ill still play him LG cause I kind of just want to. Heir to a dark and brooding noble family (that supposedly rose to power when their ancestor slew the vampire sovereign that used to rule their lands) he watched his parents killed in front of him and now travels the world in search of justice. He travels with his childhood friend Alfred (son of his milk maid, making them milk brothers in his eyes) who acts as his non-combatant squire (already talked to my gm about letting me have him as a retainer from my background like the earlier playtests),

Self imposed rule, since he lost his parents at a young age he believes no child should live without parents and will adopt any young orphan he see's on the spot on a d20 roll of 8 or less. If he sees the child loose his parents in front if him, he rolls with disadvantage.

My biggest problem is where I want my dump stat to be. Batman is great at everything but paladin inspired by batman has flaws. Ill have to wait until I get my hands on a book to find out.

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 03:13 PM
I was thinking more of a born warrior who strives for self-perfection in every aspect.

Sounds like hermit features... Maybe mixed with soldier proficiencies.

Warrior looking for perfection...

Barbarian / Rogue with battle master and sentinel feats? You would be one scary dude.

Mix the hermit/scholar (sage?) backgrounds together for a fun time?

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 03:15 PM
Human Noble, paladin of VENGENCE.

Basically a refluffed Batman. Ill still play him LG cause I kind of just want to. Heir to a dark and brooding noble family (that supposedly rose to power when their ancestor slew the vampire sovereign that used to rule their lands) he watched his parents killed in front of him and now travels the world in search of justice. He travels with his childhood friend Alfred (son of his milk maid, making them milk brothers in his eyes) who acts as his non-combatant squire (already talked to my gm about letting me have him as a retainer from my background like the earlier playtests),

Self imposed rule, since he lost his parents at a young age he believes no child should live without parents and will adopt any young orphan he see's on the spot on a d20 roll of 8 or less. If he sees the child loose his parents in front if him, he rolls with disadvantage.

My biggest problem is where I want my dump stat to be. Batman is great at everything but paladin inspired by batman has flaws. Ill have to wait until I get my hands on a book to find out.

If you are LG you should watch the Adam West batman series/movies in order to get a good grasp on LG :p

Lord Raziere
2014-08-07, 03:37 PM
Ahem.

Criminal background
Wild Mage Sorcerer
Kender

LET THE CHAOS BEGIN. :smallbiggrin:

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 03:43 PM
Ahem.

Criminal background
Wild Mage Sorcerer
Kender

I just read the assassin subclass for rogue, and it looks AMAZING. I will almost definitely roll one of these up at some point, maybe with the Acolyte background for a Faceless Man from Song of Fire and Ice.

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 03:46 PM
I just read the assassin subclass for rogue, and it looks AMAZING. I will almost definitely roll one of these up at some point, maybe with the Acolyte background for a Faceless Man from Song of Fire and Ice.

Really? The assassin looked very... Lackluster to the point it shouldn't have been an archetype and should have just be alternate rules.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 03:49 PM
Really? The assassin looked very... Lackluster to the point it shouldn't have been an archetype and should have just be alternate rules.

Really. You can assume identities and appear to be people you aren't without chance of failure, you can perfectly mimic anyone's speech, you get free crits and advantage on all attacks during the surprise round (and they double your sneak attack dice, so your ambushes will be enormous) and at level 17 you get a power that doubles your damage on a failed save that can deal 150 damage a shot.

It's an assassin that can actually assassinate people in the best way possible: hit point damage.

At level 3 (when you get the ability) your surprise attack will deal 6d6+4 damage.

EDIT: Also you get free proficiencies with the disguise and poison kit, and poison is actually good in this edition.

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 03:52 PM
Really. You can assume identities and appear to be people you aren't without chance of failure, you can perfectly mimic anyone's speech, you get free crits and advantage on all attacks during the surprise round (and they double your sneak attack dice, so your ambushes will be enormous) and at level 17 you get a power that doubles your damage on a failed save that can deal 150 damage a shot.

But can you leap from the spires of cathedrals into haystacks without taking damage? :smalltongue:

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 03:53 PM

Assuming identities should just be part of the stealth rules, put no chance of failure in a feat as a small add on.

Surprise rounds don't happen all that often for most parties, they happen against the party.

Level 17 is way to high a level for 150 damage to really matter. Why? Most people won't get to level 17.

Overall the Assassin is Meh.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 03:55 PM
Assuming identities should just be part of the stealth rules, put no chance of failure in a feat as a small add on.

Surprise rounds don't happen all that often on most parties.

Level 17 is way to high a level for 150 damage to really matter. Why? Most people won't get to level 17.

Overall the Assassin is Meh.

Surprise rounds happen all the time if you try to make them happen. Set up an ambush. We got a surprise round in almost every combat of the starter set. You just have to notice your enemies before they notice you - trivial for a sneaking rogue.

But hey, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. It looks sweet to me.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-07, 03:58 PM
How do you set up an ambush against an enemy you have no idea of? Do you think you're going to have perfect knowledge of every dungeon you enter?

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-07, 04:01 PM
How do you set up an ambush against an enemy you have no idea of? Do you think you're going to have perfect knowledge of every dungeon you enter?

You can scout ahead using stealth, and notice the enemies you see. You won't get a surprise round literally every combat, but they happen frequently enough. I frequently get the drop on people in D&D sessions, like inattentive guards, goblins drinking and splitting their take, bad guys discussing their next move in a dark room when they think no one is watching, or just cresting a hill and seeing an orc war tribe marching -- and they haven't noticed you yet.

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 04:05 PM
Surprise rounds don't happen all that often for most parties, they happen against the party.

Not against a party with a rogue that knows how to do its damn job right!

hawklost
2014-08-07, 04:07 PM
Not against a party with a rogue that knows how to do its damn job right!

As long as the party knows to let the rogue do it. Had times where for some reason the Wizard felt he was a good scout. Poor guy didn't last a session.

HorridElemental
2014-08-07, 04:09 PM
As long as the party knows to let the rogue do it. Had times where for some reason the Wizard felt he was a good scout. Poor guy didn't last a session.

They never do.

But hey, you can just rely on the magic users to use divination spells all the time! :/

Jeivar
2014-08-07, 04:33 PM
So the Commoner has been removed? Because I really wanted to do Joan of Arc: A young female human commoner turned Paladin, who was betrayed into enemy hands and ALMOST burned at the stake.

Knaight
2014-08-07, 04:35 PM

In the context of assassination, you know that they are there, and setting up an ambush is doable. It's not usable in every fight, but there are plenty of cases where ambushes are workable. Heck, I can say that this would be pretty useful in my games, as somebody getting ambushed is pretty much the default state of combat (outside of duels), with cases of two forces just bumping into each other being much rarer.

hawklost
2014-08-07, 04:36 PM
So the Commoner has been removed? Because I really wanted to do Joan of Arc: A young female human commoner turned Paladin, who was betrayed into enemy hands and ALMOST burned at the stake.

Think Folk Hero could work for that, not exactly but close. You could use it as a base and modify it (as the rules encourage) if it doesn't perfectly fit your background.

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-08-07, 04:47 PM
A disgraced soldier turned outlaw turned adventurer, probably a fighter with the Folk Hero background. Like halfwhere between Robin Hood and Aeryn from Farscape.

Tholomyes
2014-08-07, 04:50 PM

Overall the Assassin is Meh.I wouldn't go stealth but instead deception. Without a Forgery or Disguise check, most things like that fall on Deception now. There even was a leaked feat that seems to indicate that Deception or Performance may be used.

I agree with the rest, however.

eastmabl
2014-08-07, 04:59 PM
Ahem.

Criminal background
Wild Mage Sorcerer
Kender

Are kender going to be allowed a background that isn't Criminal?

I guess maybe they could get the mopey "a dragon ate our town" kender background. But what fun is that?

EternalHobbyist
2014-08-07, 06:54 PM
I would really like to create a LE Monk/Warlock hybrid, a whirling dervish of death. I'm imagining Monklock will have several debuff/stuns used at close range and followed up with FoB.

Lord Raziere
2014-08-07, 06:59 PM

There ain't no rule against it. who knows? I might just pick NOBLE Background Kender instead! :smallamused:

lianightdemon
2014-08-07, 06:59 PM
Noble Kender, He's so rich from his family that he doesn't need to steal as much
ninjaed

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-07, 07:07 PM

Kender are compulsive thieves - they don't consider themselves criminals, so they can have whatever background they want. :P

They probably get Sleight of Hand for free, like elves get Perception for free.

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 07:10 PM
I know I'm eager to play naked barbarians, wood elf and human until cat-people and gnolls are available as a race.

Lord Raziere
2014-08-07, 07:43 PM
Kender are compulsive thieves - they don't consider themselves criminals, so they can have whatever background they want. :P

They probably get Sleight of Hand for free, like elves get Perception for free.

Or how about Soldier Kender?

He kept getting sent on suicide missions....and failed spectacularly each time, while still giving his side the advantage. the more sure his doom seemed, the more improbable things would happen to make sure everything worked out fine.

hawklost
2014-08-07, 08:28 PM
Or how about Soldier Kender?

He kept getting sent on suicide missions....and failed spectacularly each time, while still giving his side the advantage. the more sure his doom seemed, the more improbable things would happen to make sure everything worked out fine.

Sounds like a fun concept, I am guessing though that the dice will kill you within the first session because of your back-story though :smallbiggrin:

akaddk
2014-08-07, 09:45 PM
I genuinely want to play a mountain dwarf wizard who wears scale mail and hits things with a warhammer (two handed since he can't wield a shield anyway). I'm thinking of giving him the Hermit background because he was exiled from his clan for wanting to learn the arcane arts. He acts like a warrior because he believes that this is how a dwarf should act. In fact, he gets offended if you infer that he should act any other way because that would just be undwarven.

Statting him up, he's actually pretty decent. 16 Str, 14 Con, 15 Int at 1st-level. AC 15. 1d10+3 damage and a +5 to hit. Better than a Fire Bolt cantrip :D

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 09:48 PM
I genuinely want to play a mountain dwarf wizard who wears scale mail and hits things with a warhammer (two handed since he can't wield a shield anyway). I'm thinking of giving him the Hermit background because he was exiled from his clan for wanting to learn the arcane arts. He acts like a warrior because he believes that this is how a dwarf should act. In fact, he gets offended if you infer that he should act any other way because that would just be undwarven.

Statting him up, he's actually pretty decent. 16 Str, 14 Con, 15 Int at 1st-level. AC 15. 1d10+3 damage and a +5 to hit. Better than a Fire Bolt cantrip :D

Lokaire hates you because "You make a fighter irrelevant!"

VeliciaL
2014-08-07, 10:20 PM

Then focus on close blast type spells... dang, now I wanna try it. :smallbiggrin:

Zeuel
2014-08-07, 10:31 PM
I want to play a Warlock(with the Old Ones pact) that constantly straddles that line between anti-hero and villain. My Warlock would be the type to generally have interests that align with the rest of the party but is definitely willing to Create Thrall on the person foolish enough to cross her.

Edit: I told one of my friend's that one of the coolest things about Create Thrall is that you can cast it on another PC in your party who you think might betray you at some point in the future. Then they are forced to be your friend and you are an ever present voice in their head. He looked at me like I just kicked his dog and said if he was a DM he would ban using Create Thrall on other PCs. I said that it shouldn't be a problem because only PKers have anything to fear from being perma-charmed.

Sartharina
2014-08-07, 10:56 PM
Then focus on close blast type spells... dang, now I wanna try it. :smallbiggrin:

Nah, you want to focus on long-range blasts - Heavy artillery from a distance, hammer-smashing up close. Be the M1!

TripleD
2014-08-07, 11:31 PM
Rogue with Acolyte background.

I like the idea of a divine or holy thief. Someone who doesn't defeat evil so much as embarrass it so as to diminish it in the eyes of the common-folk.

tadkins
2014-08-08, 02:42 AM
If there a place to see what kind of options there are for characters? A bunch of these look interesting.

I'd be interested in playing an old character of mine; a wizard who works as an interplanar trader and smuggler. Bit of a scoundrel, and a break from the typical "I seek knowledge" wizard mold.

Inevitability
2014-08-08, 03:30 AM
But can you leap from the spires of cathedrals into haystacks without taking damage? :smalltongue:

Yes, by dipping wizard. Feather Fall FTW. :smallbiggrin:

akaddk
2014-08-08, 04:08 AM
Yes, by dipping wizard. Feather Fall FTW. :smallbiggrin:

Pfft, Arcane Trickster.

1of3
2014-08-08, 06:34 AM
Let's see...

Half-Orc Hermit Hunter fighting with a double sword
Half-Elf Fighter née Lyrandar who works as a police detective
Dragonborn Noble Wolf Barbarian MC Valor Bard
Human Folk Hero Diviner MC Paladin

So many possibilities.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-08, 07:54 AM
If there a place to see what kind of options there are for characters? A bunch of these look interesting.

I'd be interested in playing an old character of mine; a wizard who works as an interplanar trader and smuggler. Bit of a scoundrel, and a break from the typical "I seek knowledge" wizard mold.

You could be a wizard with the criminal background, then specialize in conjuration, illusion, or enchantment depending on which direction you want to take the smuggling.

You'd get, I believe, deception and thievery, plus a criminal contact. You can say your contact is extraplanar! You won't get the ability to planeshift for a while (but you knew that).

A tiefling might be a good choice, for that extra-planar feel. Not sure about feats. I think there's one that gives you advantage on persuasion checks to pretend to be someone your not. Could be useful for bluffing your way past guards or inspectors.

Charlatan background might be a good choice, too. It gives you a false identity and he ability to forge papers that perfectly mimic another person's handwriting as long as you've seen a sample.

HorridElemental
2014-08-08, 08:13 AM
Criminal (mixed with... Not sure, entertainer?) Nonmagical Monk.

Personality? Archer.

His trait is that whenever a volly of shots are fired (bows/crossbows/dart trap) he can as a free action count how many were fired in that round.

Or DC 10 perception/investigation check.

Slightly mechanical but mostly useless.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-08, 10:04 AM
Got a great idea in the car this morning.

It's a paladin with the charlatan background. He's a confidence man who created a paladin alter ego in order to rob a church of its valuables, but as he played the role of a paladin he slowly started realizing that he LIKED helping people and doing good. He liked the way people looked at him, how he was treated, the way he felt when he did something good instead of something selfish. So he just kept doing it, and eventually, the power of good manifested itself - he had become a real paladin.

His flaw is that he lives in constant fear that his order will discover the truth - that he's been lying for years about his past, including details of where he trained and served, where he's from, and who he is - not to mention all the evil acts he committed as a con artist and thief.

Even he himself is not sure whether the acts of good he does are because he has become a better person, or so he can continue living this lie, or prove to himself that he is a paladin, not a charlatan.

Xefas
2014-08-08, 11:02 AM
Warlock seems cool, being a spiritual intermediary between your patron and the mortal world.

I'm thinking maybe a Halfling Warlock with the Criminal background.

He'll be the 'small Medium at large'.

tadkins
2014-08-08, 02:36 PM
You could be a wizard with the criminal background, then specialize in conjuration, illusion, or enchantment depending on which direction you want to take the smuggling.

You'd get, I believe, deception and thievery, plus a criminal contact. You can say your contact is extraplanar! You won't get the ability to planeshift for a while (but you knew that).

A tiefling might be a good choice, for that extra-planar feel. Not sure about feats. I think there's one that gives you advantage on persuasion checks to pretend to be someone your not. Could be useful for bluffing your way past guards or inspectors.

Charlatan background might be a good choice, too. It gives you a false identity and he ability to forge papers that perfectly mimic another person's handwriting as long as you've seen a sample.

Would definitely go with the Conjuration; he's less about the subtlety and more about moving goods. Conjuration would help him move across planes and keep a few summoned bodyguards at his side.

Thanks for the info. xD

*snicker*

DiBastet
2014-08-08, 03:38 PM
An inquisitor paladin. All or nothing, deity of justice like Helm or Tyr or Heironeous, or god of love like Sune. Long cloak, hood and all. The 4e-avenger-like and pf-inquisitor-like paladin of vengeance has all the right abilities for a high inquisitor.

Weed out corruption in and out of the church in the name of the hero god while in my hooded cloak and full plate; or destroy the seeds of uglyness and despair in the streets of the city while in my hood cloak and not much more.

Annos
2014-08-10, 09:51 PM
One of the optional Ties in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen has me exited to play either a Gold Dragonborn Paladin of Bahumat, or a Gold Dragonborn Sorcerer. I am also really hoping that either the Dungeon Masters guide or, more likely, the Monster Manual has rules for monstrous PC's.

Fable Wright
2014-08-11, 03:50 AM
The one thing I want to run is a Warlock who made a pact with the Daughters of Sora Kell in Eberron. He starts out as a university student majoring in political science, especially Droaamish culture, and correspondingly has the Sage background and no social skills whatsoever. After being picked on one too many times at Morgrave University for being a PolSci major instead of becoming a Wizard, Artificer, or at least an adventuresome rogue, he found a way to make a Warlock pact with the rulers of Droaam to get his haughty comrades off his back. He learns to channel Sora Maenya's strength through Eldritch Blasts, Sora Katra's legendary diplomacy with the Fey Pact abilities, and Sora Teraza's prescience and magic with a Book of Shadows. The spellcasting allegedly comes from the sisters' bond with Sora Kell herself—which quickly takes a turn for the weird, as it seems the spells come from the Great Old One pact rather than something Fae as one might expect. His ultimate goal? To get Droaam recognized as a nation, so he can retire and get himself a cushy job as an ambassador.

Along the way, he's going to record descriptions of all the strange, fantastical monsters of Droaamish wilds, spare rituals, the locations of magic items, a few spell scrolls, and various prophesies and facts gleamed from divinations in a series of three journals, which he's going to eventually secret away in a small Brelish-Droaam border town for the next generation of PCs to discover.

One of the optional Ties in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen has me excited to play either a Gold Dragonborn Paladin of Bahumat, or a Gold Dragonborn Sorcerer. I am also really hoping that either the Dungeon Masters guide or, more likely, the Monster Manual has rules for monstrous PC's.

It's confirmed that the DMG will have rules for monstrous PCs.

Arzanyos
2014-08-13, 09:14 PM
Now that it's the exception and not the rule, I want to play the WBL-mancer. Straight Thief Rogue, high Dex, Cha, and Int, a charmer who pretends he's a wizard. Really he just carries around a staff and a bunch of wands and scrolls.

Sartharina
2014-08-13, 09:22 PM
Fortunately, Dragonborn are PHB, not DMG.

Garresh
2014-08-13, 09:47 PM

Registered just to reply, but Arcane Tricksters definitely. Back in 3.5 I remember jumping through massive hurdles to make the class work. Now it's been a couple years so my math is a bit fuzzy, but generally speaking arcane tricksters were garbage between level 4 and level 12, due to the fact that you had no armor, bad spellcasting progression, and no sneak attack damage. You eventually caught up around level 11 or 12 and became useful again, but not before spending half the campaign just barely above Fighter levels of bad unless you cheesed or abused very specific spells that were broken. I eventually DID manage to find a way to make it work, but I can't remember exactly what I did. What I do recall was I used some combination of spellthief, wizard, and some feats to boost spellthieving so it kept working, alongside Spellwarp Sniper as a pre-arcane trickster progression to keep my spellcasting and sudden strike damage from falling behind, and I would cap out by going pure Arcane Trickster. It actually made for an excellent character, but the *massive* demands in both bookkeeping, many different splatbooks, and the fact that if you somehow screwed up your progression even slightly you would turn to utter crap made it a huge hassle. It was worth it in the end because it was a very fun character, and not super overpowered. It varied anywhere between tier 3 and tier 2 depending on rolls and how you played.

Now I can just write "Arcane Trickster" on my character sheet, and that's that.

I damn near converted to 5e on the basis of that fact alone, but a lot of the other rules changes look great.

Twelvetrees
2014-08-13, 09:53 PM
Battle Master Fighter with a trident in one hand, net in the other. Only use the net with Riposte. I've got myself a gladiator!

And a very good gladiator at that. The net is now my favorite 5e weapon. Restrains and requires an action to escape? Yeah, that works.

Ivellius
2014-08-14, 01:14 PM
It's a paladin with the charlatan background. He's a confidence man who created a paladin alter ego in order to rob a church of its valuables, but as he played the role of a paladin he slowly started realizing that he LIKED helping people and doing good. He liked the way people looked at him, how he was treated, the way he felt when he did something good instead of something selfish. So he just kept doing it, and eventually, the power of good manifested itself - he had become a real paladin.

This sounds amazing.

This was a great pun.

The one thing I want to run is a Warlock who made a pact with the Daughters of Sora Kell in Eberron. [...]

Along the way, he's going to record descriptions of all the strange, fantastical monsters of Droaamish wilds, spare rituals, the locations of magic items, a few spell scrolls, and various prophesies and facts gleamed from divinations in a series of three journals, which he's going to eventually secret away in a small Brelish-Droaam border town for the next generation of PCs to discover.

Naturally, I assume he'll have six fingers?

It's been so long since I've been a player that I'm not even sure what I'd want to play had I the chance. Something Dwarven. Maybe a "Locksmith" who constantly "tests" all the locks and traps he "happens" to find on the way and securing any valuables contained. Clearly their owners didn't do a good enough job.

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 01:39 PM
Things that have perked my interest:

Bard/Warlock taking mostly sensory powers; a seeker of knowledge who found one Cosmic secret too many

Dwarf Paladin/Warlock, refluffing the Alien Patron to be a Ghost Patron; seeking vengeance for the Ancestors!

I always like trying to build a whip-based warrior, and Fighter (Battlemaster) does it well

Dragonborn Cleric/Sorcerer lightning dynamo... zap!

The return to Forgotten Realms; along with less impetus to spend money on WBL gear, wants me to reinvent my favorite character... Merchant Cleric of Waukeen, taking monster hordes to stimulate local economies!

Sir_Leorik
2014-08-14, 02:00 PM

I think that in 3.X it was harder for characters to break out of the mold of their class without investing heavily in cross-class skills and feats . 4E had Backgrounds and Themes, which gave a bit more variety, but it still varied by class.

Based on the playtest and reading the Basic Rules (still waiting for my PHB from Amazon!), certain classes fulfill their core roles better in 5E than they did in 3.X, most notably the Bard, the Monk and the Sorcerer. The Wizard is not quite as powerful as she was in 3.X, but is much more versatile than in 4E. Fighters can become insanely powerful tanks if they choose the right feat (that's right, feat singular!), while Rogues are sneakier than in 3.X.

The main difference is the focus the new edition gives to story telling and roleplaying. Backgrounds, Inspiration, and other mechanics intended to encourage roleplaying are prominent parts of the game.

Here are some character concepts that can be created using the 5E Backgrounds:

A Cleric who is a Charlatan, bilking parishioners out of their meager possessions. He gets caught and thrown in jail, only to discover the gods want a word with him...

A Wizard who is an Acolyte of a god of magic, sent by her superiors to track down a sacred artifact.

A Barbarian who becomes a Folk Hero after he kills an oppressive tax collector, but must then flee his village, joining up with a band of adventurers.

A Bard who is a Spy for a barony, joining some adventurers going to a rival barony, in hopes she can learn something important between dungeon delves.

A Rogue who is a Soldier at a keep on the borderlands, who is sent to scout out enemy positions. When his squad is killed by gnolls, he joins a band of adventurers in hopes of getting a message back to the keep.

A Warlock who serves a Great Old One, has decided to become a Sage, dispensing the forbidden knowledge her master imparts to her... for a price.

And of course...
When a Chaotic Evil Sorcerer's powers manifest, he murders his parents and runs off and becomes a Criminal. He spends decades on the wrong side of the law, casually murdering people just so he can take some of their cool stuff, and developing an inferiority complex about the way Wizards view Sorcerers. Then one day he meets two Goblins in a swamp...

EDIT: Personally I'm going to create a Half-Elf Warlock with the Archfey Patron. When she hits 3rd level I'm going to take Pact of the Chain and choose a Pixie. I've wanted to either play a Pixie or have a Pixie familiar for a while, and never had a chance, so I think this will be pretty cool.

1of3
2014-08-14, 03:12 PM
A Barbarian who becomes a Folk Hero after he kills an oppressive tax collector, but must then flee his village, joining up with a band of adventurers.

I like how that Folk Hero is not about an evil overlord but a rather minor occurence. Nice.

Sir_Leorik
2014-08-14, 03:26 PM
I like how that Folk Hero is not about an evil overlord but a rather minor occurence. Nice.

Thanks. In a sense that's not too different from what the Sheriff of Nottingham was: a minor official taking advantage of the high taxes King Richard was imposing to fund the Crusades. The Barbarian in my example could be a peasant who was incensed by a similar, Lawful Evil tax collector, and kills him because he's unjustly trying to seize a widow's farm or impress orphans into slavery. While the people view him as a hero, to the Lawful Good duke that the tax collector worked for (who was not aware of the corruption to begin with) the Barbarian is a murderer and an outlaw. How would the other PCs react to learning that their brave companion is a wanted man? Will they back him up, try to negotiate with the duke's men, or turn him in for the reward?

Fable Wright
2014-08-14, 03:42 PM
Naturally, I assume he'll have six fingers?

Naturally. :smallwink:

Naanomi
2014-08-14, 03:46 PM
Here's a writeup of my Dwarf Paladin/Warlock, dedicated to correcting the grudges of The Dead at any cost.
Mountain Dwarf, Hermit
Paladin 3/Warlock 17
STR 18, DEX 14, CON 18, INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 17
Medicine, Religion, Athletics, Insight, Herbalism Kit
Common, Dwarf, Undercommon, Celestial
1) Divine Sense, Lay of Hands
2) Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting, Divine Smite
3) Divine Health, Oath of Vengeance
4) Fiend Patron: Dark One's Blessing, *Eldritch Blast, *True Strike, 1*Armor of Agathys, 1*Expeditious Retreat
5) Fiendish Vigor, Agonizing Blast, 1*Protection from Good and Evil
6) Pact of the Blade, 2*Invisibility
7) +War Caster, *Blade Ward, 2*Misty Step
8) Thirsting Blade, -Agonizing Blast//+One with Shadows, 3*Fly
9) Dark One's Own Luck, 3*Vampiric Touch
10) Devil's Sight, 4*Dimension Door, -Misty Step//+Counterspell
11) +2 STRENGTH, 4*Fire Shield
12) Whispers of the Grave, -Devil's Sight//+Otherworldly Leap, 5*Contact Other Plane
13) *Mage Hand
14) Fiendish Resilience, 5*Hold Monster, 6*True Seeing
15) Great Weapon Master, Life Drinker
16) 5*Scrying, 7*Force Cage
17) Hurl Through Hell
18) Master of Myriad Forms, 5*Flame Strike, 8*Power Word: Stun
19) +1 CHARISMA, +1 INTELLIGENCE
20) 5*Hallow, 9*Foresight

Help there's a
2016-10-20, 08:31 PM
If you have a couple or two close friends at the game, this will work very well.
[name], a skeleton rouge/wizard sleuth. Think a British gentlemen. Pistol[crossbow]s, rapiers, portable tea kit, fine clothing. Add in 1/2 tablespoon of mannerisms: can be hidden easily by being taken apart and stowed in his rib cage, pauses in speech to reattach his jawbone, etc.

[name], a sentient ooze spellcaster. By replacing [skeleton's name]'s bone marrow, he endowed him/her with arcane powers, and is protected by his/her arcanely enhanced bones. If the pair need to go fast, [slime] will simply burst out and carry [skeleton] along inside him/her/it. Now, the ooze specializes in summoning...and said summons take the form of Slime-templated regular monsters.

Most fun part: the Slime can act as a Trip ability.

Kushina43
2016-10-20, 10:47 PM
My next character is Rihran Deephand; a Variant Human Barbarian and my first CE character. She started as a soldier in the army and quickly realized she enjoyed killing, making a name for herself for her ferocious exploits in battle. One day her troop was tasked with assaulting the hideout of a powerful warlock. Said assault failed and Rihran was taken as prisoner. This great and terrible woman used her magic to reveal and awaken the demonic powers that slumbered within her, for the blood of the Goristro from a time long passed was in her veins. (Totemic powers fluffed as more Goristro traits awakening)

She relished this power and spared the warlock, whom had let the demonic woman free, and took her family name as her own. She quit the army and, knowing her lust for killing and power could be satisfied, ventured to the city of Swordhaven where the realm's only Adventurer's Academy would let her newfound power be used liberally with minimal legal repercussions.

The story begins when her class graduates the academy, and as her adventuring days begin she's stuck with three nincompoops fellow graduates: a tough human fighter, a tiefling warlock of unknown origin, and a sentient skeleton

Maxilian
2016-10-21, 09:45 AM
Well i do have some characters that i'm really itching to play like:

-"Noble" Barbarian (actually he's not the noble, but his companion is, he's the steward), the companion is a Wizard that dislikes the Barbarian and use it as his mule, the Barb basically carry the mage around in a carriage (Eagle and Elk totem for speed), the Wizard may be in a fight but he will never help, in the end, he doesn't think he should waste his time on something that can be easily replaced. -Note: The Wizard is a necromancer in secret, he is always waiting for the dead of the Barbarian cause he wish to use his corpse for some.... "experiments"

-A Wizard / Warlock based around the spell "Catapult" to throw Alchemyst Fire and other things like that as his main weapon. (To play it as a Bomber type of character)

-A Dwarf BM Tank, he doesn't attack his pet is the only one who does, he only defends it from harms way (Its based around the pre-fixed Ranger BM with Beast Bond)

-Fighter CHA based (Magic Initiate - Magic Stone) played as a commander (That's why the high CHA) -Lawful Evil character, he's not "bad" he's just cruel -but that's mainly because of the way he was raised-
Note: I got to play this character for only 2 sessions before the campaign fell apart, it was quite fun-

Foxydono
2016-10-21, 10:13 AM
Bard/Warlock taking mostly sensory powers; a seeker of knowledge who found one Cosmic secret too many
That will be my next character! With the Great Mother (alien being that makes beholders) as Patron and a floating eye as familiar :)

I always like trying to build a whip-based warrior, and Fighter (Battlemaster) does it well
I'm currently playing something very similer, although he is a strength based ranger (Hunter Conclave) and not a fighter. Have a homemade feat for using a whip to disarm or trip an opponent. And I will probably multiclass into rogue after getting to level 5. It's very fun to play. Not even using a shield so I can grapple or pick up a weapon from an enemy I disarmed. Not doing a lot of damage, but the battlefield control is great!

Arkhios
2016-10-22, 07:24 PM
I long had a special place in my mind for a wizard who came from a nomadic tribe. Not a druid, not a sorcerer. Actual Wizard, with capital 'W'. While technically I could've just done that before in 3.5, the background aspect was never fully encouraged as part of character creation, and if I just wrote a backstory, it rarely had any mechanical sway on the characters. They felt hollow, somehow.

With 5th edition's Background system actually built into character creation it helped to flesh out aspects I kinda always knew were there but couldn't really put my finger on it. 5th edition did not only inspire, it encouraged me to make characters with more depth.

Another character was my current Paladin of the Ancients. The oath tenets helped me fully realize a concept that was inspired by my first world of warcraft character (from 2006-2007) who was a human paladin who I roleplayed having sworn to the Light to protect druids and the nature itself from the darkness that corrupts the most pure of things. Never before had I felt making a character like this easy until I saw the Oath. It fits perfectly. While it could've been a Warden in 4th edition, it wouldn't have felt the same.