PDA

View Full Version : Alphabetical list of ritual spells

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 05:41 PM
This is not sorted by classes or level just name, all thse spells have ritual capabilties.

Alarm
Animal Messenger
Augury
Beast SEnse
Commune
Commune with nature
comprehend langauges
contact other plane
detect magic
detect poison and disease
divintation
drawmij instant summons
feign death
find familiar
forbiddance
gentele repose
Identify
illusory script
leomunds tiny hut
locate animal or plant
magic mouth
meld into stone
phantom steed
purify food and drink
rary's telepathic bond
silence
speak with animals
tensers floating disk
unseen servant
water walk

Lokiare
2014-08-07, 05:43 PM
Wow. If even 1/3 of those are wizard spells, the game is fully and truly broken.

MadBear
2014-08-07, 05:44 PM
This is not sorted by classes or level just name, all thse spells have ritual capabilties.

Alarm
Animal Messenger
Augury
Beast SEnse
Commune
Commune with nature
comprehend langauges
contact other plane
detect magic
detect poison and disease
divintation
drawmij instant summons
feign death
find familiar
forbiddance
gentele repose
Identify
illusory script
leomunds tiny hut
locate animal or plant
magic mouth
meld into stone
phantom steed
purify food and drink
rary's telepathic bond
silence
speak with animals
tensers floating disk
unseen servant
water walk

looks great! I can't wait to get my hands on the book to read all about them.

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 05:45 PM
Nah, most of those are what I think folks would consider "everyday " spells. Things so well worn and used that methods that expend less magical effort just more longer time let you cast it at no relative cost. None of those are truely game breaking , as it cost 10 mins of time which you may not have :)

Lokiare
2014-08-07, 05:47 PM
Nah, most of those are what I think folks would consider "everyday " spells. Things so well worn and used that methods that expend less magical effort just more longer time let you cast it at no relative cost. None of those are truely game breaking , as it cost 10 mins of time which you may not have :)

Mainly I was thinking about how a lot of them are automatic successes that invalidate skill checks. So classes like the rogue will be out shown by the wizard if they have 10 minutes to spare (they will be swimming in money by 3rd level so money is not a worry).

pwykersotz
2014-08-07, 05:57 PM
Mainly I was thinking about how a lot of them are automatic successes that invalidate skill checks. So classes like the rogue will be out shown by the wizard if they have 10 minutes to spare (they will be swimming in money by 3rd level so money is not a worry).

This brings up a good question that we likely won't have an answer to until the DMG comes out. Can you make scrolls of ritual spells?

Envyus
2014-08-07, 06:19 PM

Uh which ones cause none of these could break the game and I can't really see any that would allow to get through Skill checks. The ones that look like Wizard spells are also less useful then the cleric ones I would say.

CyberThread
2014-08-07, 06:24 PM
Something to note, eldritch knight, paladin , warlock, arcane tricksters, cannot use rituals.

Something being labeled a ritual isn't enough, it is also a class feature to be able to use it.

Jeraa
2014-08-07, 06:45 PM
Uh which ones cause none of these could break the game and I can't really see any that would allow to get through Skill checks. The ones that look like Wizard spells are also less useful then the cleric ones I would say.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem either. Commune might make the various knowledges (History, Arcana, Nature, Religion) less useful if you can just ask some outsider the answer, but only if it is a Yes/No question. Speak with Animal might replace a few uses of the Animal Handling skill, but not all of them. But that looks to be about it.

And its not like Knock is a ritual. Nor Invisibility or Find Traps. I don't see any of the available rituals outshining the rogue as Lokiare says.

Envyus
2014-08-07, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem either. Commune might make the various knowledges (History, Arcana, Nature, Religion) less useful if you can just ask some outsider the answer, but only if it is a Yes/No question. Speak with Animal might replace a few uses of the Animal Handling skill, but not all of them. But that looks to be about it.

And its not like Knock is a ritual. Nor Invisibility or Find Traps. I don't see any of the available rituals outshining the rogue as Lokiare says.

In fact here are the spells the wizard can cast out of that list.

Alarm
comprehend langauges
contact other plane
detect magic
drawmij instant summons
feign death
find familiar
gentle repose
Identify
illusory script
leomunds tiny hut
magic mouth
phantom steed
rary's telepathic bond
unseen servant

The most useful spell i see there is Rary's telepathic bond and Identify.

Cibulan
2014-08-07, 08:09 PM
Wow. If even 1/3 of those are wizard spells, the game is fully and truly broken.Better move on to some other game system then huh?...

Theodoxus
2014-08-07, 08:28 PM
LOL - gotta rename Drawmij's Instant Summons to 'Oh my god, mage, how long is this gonna take, really?' summons.

TheOOB
2014-08-07, 08:53 PM
LOL - gotta rename Drawmij's Instant Summons to 'Oh my god, mage, how long is this gonna take, really?' summons.

You can prepare the spell and cast it normally.

Inevitability
2014-08-08, 03:19 AM

Alarm
comprehend langauges
contact other plane
detect magic
drawmij instant summons
feign death
find familiar
gentle repose
Identify
illusory script
leomunds tiny hut
magic mouth
phantom steed
rary's telepathic bond
unseen servant

How about Contact Other Plane? Is that still like this?

Fighter: Oh man, we have to destroy the Spoon of True Ridiculousness, but we are not sure if it is the right thing to do! What if there's a demon sealed inside, like that hooded stranger told us?
Wizard: Hold on, let me just ask Bahamut... What? Yeah, it's me, Quarion. We got some artifact here we are not sure about... what do you say? Stranger was right? Better not destroy it then.
Wizard: Okay, next quest.

pwykersotz
2014-08-08, 10:28 AM

Paired conveniently with Drawmij's Instant Oatmeal and Drawmij's Instant Ramen! 10 minute cook time? But I want it now!

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-08, 10:50 AM

Fighter: Oh man, we have to destroy the Spoon of True Ridiculousness, but we are not sure if it is the right thing to do! What if there's a demon sealed inside, like that hooded stranger told us?
Wizard: Hold on, let me just ask Bahamut... What? Yeah, it's me, Quarion. We got some artifact here we are not sure about... what do you say? Stranger was right? Better not destroy it then.

I've literally never seen this happen in a game, but if I was a DM and this scenario came up I'd be like

God: Quarian? Thank goodness! DO NOT break that spoon. You need to bring it to the Temple of High Goodness right now so we can purify it!

Aaannd... next chapter of adventure begins.

hawklost
2014-08-08, 11:08 AM

Does Contact Other Plane automatically contact the person you are aiming for?
Could it be intercepted and you get false answers?
From the quick read I saw on the SRD, it kinda annoys the being you are contacting, do you really want to piss off Bahamut?
Why did you get more than a yes/no answer for the spell?
If the DM has plans to do something, could you not get the False information because there is always a chance the info is wrong.
Does your Wizard enjoy taking chances with making himself stupid for over a month?

Millennium
2014-08-08, 11:17 AM
"A lot"? I count two: Comprehend Languages and Identify, neither of which treads very heavily on rogue territory. Am I missing something big here?

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-08, 11:57 AM

I don't think even a good deity would be so accommodating to a random wizard prodding him/her for information. If I were the DM, trying to do this would result in some kind of serious negative backlash

Lokiare
2014-08-08, 12:16 PM
Paired conveniently with Drawmij's Instant Oatmeal and Drawmij's Instant Ramen! 10 minute cook time? But I want it now!

Its more like:

"Why is this taking so long, I thought it was Drawmij's 'instant' Summons?"
"Oh, it is, I just have to prep and chant for 10 minutes and then instantly it gets summoned."
Face palm.:smalltongue:

"A lot"? I count two: Comprehend Languages and Identify, neither of which treads very heavily on rogue territory. Am I missing something big here?

Alarm - Invalidates the fighters ability to stand watch
comprehend langauges - Invalidates character's language choices
contact other plane - Invalidates knowledge checks
detect magic - Invalidates arcana checks.
drawmij instant summons
feign death - Invalidates bluff checks in some circumstances
find familiar
gentle repose - Invalidates the limit on the raise dead spell
Identify - Invalidates the bards ability to ID items (if that's a thing in 5E)
illusory script - Invalidates the rogues bluff check to hide messages in writing
leomunds tiny hut - Invalidates everyone's skill to make camp or survive in the wild
magic mouth
phantom steed - Invalidates handle animal or riding
rary's telepathic bond - Invalidates the rogues ability to send veiled messages without being intercepted.
unseen servant - Invalidates trap finding because it just sets them off.

I don't think even a good deity would be so accommodating to a random wizard prodding him/her for information. If I were the DM, trying to do this would result in some kind of serious negative backlash

About an artifact that is about to release a powerful demon? Some things are actually worth bothering extra planar beings.

eastmabl
2014-08-08, 12:17 PM

Drawmij's "It Took So Long That We Realize Your Character's Name Is Just Your Real Name Backwards" Summons.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-08, 12:19 PM
Its more like:

SNIP

I think I just rolled my eyes hard enough to knock the world of its access.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-08, 12:20 PM
Drawmij's "It Took So Long That We Realize Your Character's Name Is Just Your Real Name Backwards" Summons.

...Mother ****er.

(Not you.)

Demonic Spoon
2014-08-08, 12:21 PM
About an artifact that is about to release a powerful demon? Some things are actually worth bothering extra planar beings.

how powerful of a demon?

Unless we're talking about a demon powerful enough to by himself kill mountains of people and become a serious threat to the whole material plane, I don't think a god would care enough to spare his attention.

Other extraplanar beings? Perhaps, but lesser extraplanar beings may not have the knowledge required, and the wizard may not know about them.

Inevitability
2014-08-08, 12:45 PM
I've literally never seen this happen in a game, but if I was a DM and this scenario came up I'd be like

God: Quarian? Thank goodness! DO NOT break that spoon. You need to bring it to the Temple of High Goodness right now so we can purify it!

Aaannd... next chapter of adventure begins.

Wizard: Teleport.

Next chapter of adventure ends. :smalltongue:

hawklost
2014-08-08, 01:07 PM
Wizard: Teleport.

Next chapter of adventure ends. :smalltongue:

Oh crap, where did we end up? Why the heck did we allow the Wizard to Teleport us to someplace he has never seen or been?

Sartharina
2014-08-08, 01:26 PM
Its more like:

"Why is this taking so long, I thought it was Drawmij's 'instant' Summons?"
"Oh, it is, I just have to prep and chant for 10 minutes and then instantly it gets summoned."
Face palm.:smalltongue:Well, it's instant compared to having to go on a month-long trek back to your castle, and another month-long trek to get it back.

drawmij instant summons
find familiar
illusory script - Invalidates the rogues bluff check to hide messages in writing
leomunds tiny hut - Invalidates everyone's skill to make camp or survive in the wild
magic mouth
rary's telepathic bond - Invalidates the rogues ability to send veiled messages without being intercepted.
1. Nothing a fighter can't do by buying a Beagle and feeding it the remains of its enemies.
2. People don't have any Language Choices unless they're a sage or human, and just get the languages they're stuck with from race choice.
3. Assuming the Other Plane knows what the hell its talking about.
4. No amount of Detect Magic will tell you the name of the archlich that built the Tomb of Horrors, or the true nature of and cure to the curse upon Little Timmy.
6. Pfft. You can be Romeo. If anything, a Deception check invalidates the ritual.
8. Nobody gives a damn about the limit on Raise Dead, which is only a concern if you can't find or transport the corpse in the first place. And a Gentle Reposed corpse is just as vulnerable to <insert long comical chain of events that utterly destroys the corpse while highlighting the dangers of transporting an object> as any other body.
9. No, a Bard's ability to identify objects invalidates the ritual.
10. Assuming you have 10 minutes to hide the script. And a rogue's can't be discovered by the "Detect Magic" ritual.
11. Not a problem. The ability to do so is nice to have if you get separated from the wizard. And, some might be able to make BETTER wilderness lodgings.
14. I'm sorry, but I don't think "Carniverous War Elephant" is an option to summon with Phantom Steed.
15. The rogue's ability can communicate with people that aren't associated with the linked group.
16. Setting traps off is the worst way to find them, because some are nasty enough to destroy an entire room, lock off parts of a dungeon, and have other unpleasant, far-reaching consequences.

hawklost
2014-08-08, 01:36 PM
16. Setting traps off is the worst way to find them, because some are nasty enough to destroy an entire room, lock off parts of a dungeon, and have other unpleasant, far-reaching consequences.

We are assuming that the Unseen Servant even Can set off traps, they might have it say it cannot.
Second, many traps now seem to have a weight limit to set them off, that unseen servant is probably not heavy enough to set off a pit trap or even set off a pressure plate. As such, you now have a nice safe feeling as you walk right into your death. As least with the Rogue, if he fails his check, he is the first to go down the trap (punishing him for his failure! :smalltongue:)

Inevitability
2014-08-08, 03:02 PM
Oh crap, where did we end up? Why the heck did we allow the Wizard to Teleport us to someplace he has never seen or been?

Wizard: Whoops, went slightly wrong. Don't worry, I'll just Scry on that place tomorrow and then 'port us there safely. Still beats walking to it. Let me just first cover our location with several illusions to prevent wandering monsters from attacking us.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-08, 03:31 PM
Who said the chapter was about getting to the temple? It's been taken over by evil cultists. Get to work!

Envyus
2014-08-08, 04:38 PM

Someone else already answered the others well so only this one stands out to me. This does not let you speak the language just understand it.

Stray
2014-08-08, 05:44 PM
Someone else already answered the others well so only this one stands out to me. This does not let you speak the language just understand it.

Unless wizard is spending 10 minutes every hour to keep it always on (wasting 2-4 hours a day, depending how long they sleep/trance), they also don't get the benefit of understanding the language immediately when it's needed.

DM: The Frost Giant king is yelling at you passionately
Fighter: Ummm... does anyone speak Giant?
Wizard: Give me 10 minutes and I can understand any spoken word!
Ranger: Telling him...
Wizard: Miming, I will not be able to speak in his tongue.
Ranger: Even better, miming to him "Sorry we were not listening, could you repeat that" will not calm him down.
Fighter: Also he and his guards will be grinding our bones for bread by that time.
Wizard: You guys just don't realize how irrelevant your linguistic education is when I'm around.

CyberThread
2014-08-11, 05:03 PM
Well Ritual Caster Feat plus some gold, could make anyone with enough time have decent utilty. I honestly like the ritual system that it lets folks who have no native magical prowess cast spells, so long as they follow a long list of instructions.

Lokiare
2014-08-11, 05:10 PM
Well Ritual Caster Feat plus some gold, could make anyone with enough time have decent utilty. I honestly like the ritual system that it lets folks who have no native magical prowess cast spells, so long as they follow a long list of instructions.

That's been the case in every edition with feats, unfortunately feats are rare things in this edition and may not be used for this kind of thing.

CyberThread
2014-09-07, 10:55 AM
That's been the case in every edition with feats, unfortunately feats are rare things in this edition and may not be used for this kind of thing.

Well considering how much choices are in the game. Some feat choices or backgrounds, can drasticly change how a class is played.

Uldric
2014-09-08, 08:05 AM
Wow. If even 1/3 of those are wizard spells, the game is fully and truly broken.

I always thought people a make too much of the size of the Wizard's Spell List. It is not like the Cleric and Druid who immediately know every spell on their list when they reach the appropriate level. Wizards know 6 first level spell and then 2 additional spells every level. Anything else they can find is by DM fiat. You basically know 2-4 spells from your highest spell slot at any given level. Are you really going to take Feign Death, Leomund's Tiny Hut and/or Phantom Steed over Fireball, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fly, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern, Fear, Bestow Curse, and/or Slow? Yeah, lots of great spells there but people post like the Wizard has all of them, but unless you have a very generous DM the wizard doesn't and even if he did, he can't prepare them all. In the end, the Cleric and Land Druid have more spells know and can prepare more spells (with Domain spells) then the wizard.

Shining Wrath
2014-09-08, 10:17 AM
First: the game is not broken if a Ritual appears on the Wizard spell list, because the spell may never appear in the game to appear in the Wizard's spell book. Aside from the free level-up choices, the Wizard gets exactly the spells the DM permits the Wizard to have, for there is no Magic Mart in 5e.

Second: there's a lot of Divination on that list. Divination always, every time, involves the DM revealing his/her secrets. "Yes, it's magical" is a little secret; "Yes, the Spoon of Utter Ridiculousness will release a demon if destroyed" a larger one. But guess what that means? That means that, RAW, the DM can prevent brokenness by ... DMing.

Third: Sorcerers also don't get Ritual casting. Which makes sense to me, fluff wise. Sorcerers do not follow instructions to work magic; magic follows their instructions.

Fourth: The Ritual Casting feat has a prerequisite; either Wisdom or Intelligence have to be 13 or more. Which makes it a little harder for Charisma based casters (Sorcerers et cetera) to pick up. Of the two I'd take Wisdom for my Sorcerer, as I think that is more likely to be saved against, and Perception is important for everyone who dislikes surprises.

Person_Man
2014-09-08, 10:58 AM
Something to note, eldritch knight, paladin , warlock, arcane tricksters, cannot use rituals.

Something being labeled a ritual isn't enough, it is also a class feature to be able to use it.

Warlock with the Book of Ancient Secrets Invocation allows you to use Rituals. Also, there's the Ritual Caster Feat. So basically anyone can cast Rituals.

Malifice
2014-09-08, 11:00 AM

Right on queue.

Malifice
2014-09-08, 11:02 AM
...Mother ****er.

(Not you.)

Yeah.

Google Melf and Rary for the origins of their names. Even more funny.

rollingForInit
2014-09-08, 11:51 AM
drawmij instant summons
find familiar
magic mouth

Alarm: Cannot be cast on large areas, only really useful if you've got a window and a door or so, otherwise you'll be casting Alarm all night long.

Comprehend Languages: Doesn't allow you to speak the languages. Also does not allow you to understand idioms, proverbs, sacarsm, any social references or values in the language, or anything aside from the grammatical syntax and the literal meanings of the words. As opposed to Tongues which makes you fluent in languages and anyone can understand you. Also, reading texts takes 1 minute per page, so it's very slow. You would lose a lot of information and end up in bad situations if you only relied on Comprehend Magic to gather important information.

Detect Magic: Does not allow you to gain any information beyond the school of the magic present. Would still require arcana to figure out which spell it is.

The rest are all highly situational, and keep in mind that they take 10 minutes to cast, at least. Some are really great (tiny hut) but then, certainly not game-breaking.

Stormdrake
2016-02-02, 02:51 PM
So my question is why is "Raise Undead" not a ritual spell (or did I miss that)? Story wise it would make sense for the evil necromancer plot device often used in D&D. Personally I think the ritual tag is pretty lack luster as is. It simply allows the casting of a spell without using a spell slot, no increase to damage, range, or affect. You cant even join with other wizards using the ritual tag to create those kind of affects which would explain cults. Again just my thoughts and I freely admit I may have missed something, somewhere in the rules.

Segev
2016-02-02, 03:08 PM
So my question is why is "Raise Undead" not a ritual spell (or did I miss that)? Story wise it would make sense for the evil necromancer plot device often used in D&D.

Probably because the functional limit to how many undead you can maintain control over is how many times you can cast that spell in a given day. If it were a ritual, it would raise that limit considerably, possibly to broken levels.

It does make one wonder how the Necromancer BBEG maintains his unholy armies of zombies, though.

JackPhoenix
2016-02-04, 10:07 PM
Probably because the functional limit to how many undead you can maintain control over is how many times you can cast that spell in a given day. If it were a ritual, it would raise that limit considerably, possibly to broken levels.

It does make one wonder how the Necromancer BBEG maintains his unholy armies of zombies, though.

Player characters can't, that's the important distinction. Unlike 3.x, NPCs in 5e can bend the rules a bit when needed...they aren't built the same way as PCs, why should they use the same spells? Player character with legion of ghouls would be broken...hell, Animate Dead is borderline broken as it is, even without the ritual tag...but nobody cares about the BBEG. PCs can't make non-humanoid undead either, despite skeletal warhorses and zombie beholders being in the MM.

Also, while mentioning necromancy is kinda funny in this context, creating undead threads is frowned upon...the spells are made for humanoids, after all.

MaxWilson
2016-02-05, 03:26 AM

Alarm
comprehend langauges
contact other plane
detect magic
drawmij instant summons
feign death
find familiar
gentle repose
Identify
illusory script
leomunds tiny hut
magic mouth
phantom steed
rary's telepathic bond
unseen servant

Find Familiar and Phantom Steed are great too. Unseen Servant is interesting, but mostly for its non-ritual uses. At 18th level, a wizard can spam one Unseen Servant every six seconds and have 600 Unseen Servants at any given instant all cooking dinner/tending crops/laying caltrops/Helping soldiers attack/cluttering up the battlefield.

Does your Wizard enjoy taking chances with making himself stupid for over a month?

A month? Contact Other Plane leaves you insane for at most until you take a long rest.

==========================================

Alarm: Cannot be cast on large areas, only really useful if you've got a window and a door or so, otherwise you'll be casting Alarm all night long.

Even more importantly, if you neglect to leave a fighter on guard in his armor, it means that you... don't have an armored fighter when the penny drops. You've got a mental alarm and a sleepy wizard and that's it.

IOW, I don't buy that Alarm in any way obsoletes the armored fighter. At best, in the right terrain and under certain circumstances it allows the fighter to get more sleep than he otherwise would.

==========================================

Maybe he doesn't try to maintain control over his armies? Or maybe he Creates Wights, who create zombies, and then he Geases the wights to charm them so they can't attack him and can more easily be persuaded to do cooperative evil things. Using two 5th level slots per day, he can have 60 geased wights and therefore 720 quasi-allied zombies.

If so, the PCs can exploit the weaknesses in his power structure, e.g. by catching wights and Dispelling the magic on them.

Theodoxus
2016-02-05, 09:16 AM

Even more importantly, if you neglect to leave a fighter on guard in his armor, it means that you... don't have an armored fighter when the penny drops. You've got a mental alarm and a sleepy wizard and that's it.

IOW, I don't buy that Alarm in any way obsoletes the armored fighter. At best, in the right terrain and under certain circumstances it allows the fighter to get more sleep than he otherwise would.

Funnily enough, Alarm doesn't have anything making it singular. You can cast it multiple times to ward a much larger area. The wizard in my last session cast it four times to cover 80 cubic feet of space in a cavern they were resting in. Unfortunately, the ambush came from holes in the cave wall that wasn't warded, and the lone guard was keeping watch down the only large entrance to the warded area. Oh, and the wizard set all the wards to audible, so one of the PCs slept through the initial alarm...

Worked out ok though. Of the 8 crawling claws that entered the cavern, only 2 managed to escape... and they only barely scraped the fighter.

All in all, it was fun. The wizard was satisfied the spell worked, I was happy I still got a jump on them. Alarm is a decent little ritual. Between it and Tiny Hut... a wizard could do a lot worse.