PDA

View Full Version : Wizard of Time!!!

jjpickar
2007-03-05, 07:36 PM
The name says it all. Start. Stop. Rewind. Fast forward. Have fun shooting it to pieces.

Hit Die:d4
BAB:1/2 level
Saves:Fortitude and Reflex poor, Will Good.
Skills: Same as Wizard

Prerequisites: Able to cast Haste and Slow as Arcane spells
Craft (Clock making) 8 ranks.

1st: Time Magic: Speed Up
2nd: +1 Level of Spellcasting
3rd: Time Magic: Pause
4th: +1 Level of Spell Casting, MetaTime spells
5th: Time Magic: Do Over!, +1 Level of Spellcasting

Time Magic: Special abilities treated as spell like abilities that are usable as a standard action a number of times per day equal to the characters levels in the Wizard of Time prestige class.

Speed Up: Drawing on his mystical time powers the Wizard of Time can cause a number of of creatures (though not himself) equal to his level in WoT to gain an extra move action or an extra 5 foot step.

Pause: Calling forth his great knowledge of the mysteries of time the WoT can cause a 10 fot square area to freeze in time for 1 round per level. Anything in or or passing through the area stops until the end of the duration. Creatures must succeed on a Will save DC 15+the WoT's Int bonus or be stopped.

Do Over! The Pinnacle of time magic, a WoT with this ability must spend all five of his time magic uses to send every one within 100 feet of the WoT to restart an entire round of combat (or 30 seconds of real time if not in combat) starting with the beginning of the WoT's previous action. You may not use Do Over! to gain an unlimited number of time magic uses. The drain on your time magic uses and your memory of what happened in the previous round stay the same. Only you retain memory of what has been done over, though you can shout warnings. Most parties of adventurers learn that when the Wot goes glassy eyed and yells for them to step left immediately that it is probably a good thing to listen and do as he says.

Metatime Magic: WoT's may choose between Quicken Spell and Delay Spell as a bonus feat.

Well, what do you think?

Jack_Simth
2007-03-05, 07:40 PM
The name says it all. Start. Stop. Rewind. Fast forward. Have fun shooting it to pieces.

Well, okay, but I don't have long.

Hit Die:d4
BAB:1/2 level
Saves:Fortitude and Reflex poor, Will Good.
Skills: Same as Wizard

Prerequisites: Able to cast Haste and Slow as Arcane spells
Craft (Clock making) 8 ranks.

1st: Time Magic: Speed Up
2nd: +1 Level of Spellcasting
3rd: Time Magic: Pause
4th: +1 Level of Spell Casting, MetaTime spells
5th: Time Magic: Do Over!, +1 Level of Spellcasting

Time Magic: Special abilities treated as spell like abilities that are usable a number of times per day equal to the characters levels in the Wizard of Time prestige class.

Speed Up: Drawing on his mystical time powers the Wizard of Time can cause a number of of creatures (though not himself) equal to his level in WoT to gain an extra standard action.

Two of these guys rule. Three break the universe in half. Also, what type of action is it?

Pause: Calling forth his great knowledge of the mysteries of time the WoT can cause a 10 fot square area to freeze in time for 1 round per level. Anything in or or passing through the area stops until the end of the duration. Creatures must succeed on a DC 15+the WoT's Int bonus or be stopped.
What kind of save?

Do Over! The Pinnacle of time magic, a WoT with this ability must spend all five of his time magic uses to send every one within 100 feet of the WoT to restart an entire round of combat (or 30 seconds of real time if not in combat) starting with the beginning of the WoT's previous action.

The bookkeeping is a potential nightmare. You still have to find a way to win, mind...

Metatime Magic: WoT's may choose between Quicken Spell and Delay Spell as a bonus feat.

Well, what do you think?

Not as broken as some things.

jjpickar
2007-03-05, 07:45 PM
sorry I forgot those. Its a standard action to use time magic and its a will save against the effects. How does the third break the universe? How should I change it?

Thanks for the comments!:smallsmile:

Jack_Simth
2007-03-05, 08:07 PM
sorry I forgot those. Its a standard action to use time magic and its a will save against the effects. How does the third break the universe? How should I change it?

Thanks for the comments!:smallsmile:
Okay. You've got three Wizards of Time (or rather, two Wizards of Time and a character with a meaningful amount of personal power in a standard action - a Wizard, say; call him Zappy). WoT 1 uses Speed Up, giving Zappy and WoT 2 a free Standard Action (also - do they act right then, or later? Doesn't matter overly much for this, though). Zappy Zaps (Zap 1). WoT 2 uses Speed Up, giving Zappy and WoT 1 a free Standard Action. Zappy Zaps (Zap 2). WoT 1 and 2 have used a single use each of their abilities, WoT's turn is uninterrupted (still has a standard, move, and Swift action available) and Zappy has Zapped Twice. It's still WoT's turn. If Opponent has survived two Zaps from Zappy, WoT 1 invokes Speed Up again, giving Zappy and WoT 2 a free standard action. Zappy Zaps (Zap 3), and WoT 2 invokes Speed Up, giving Zappy and WoT 1 a free standard action. Zappy Zaps (Zap 4). WoT 1 still has a Standard, Move, Swift, and some number of free actions remaining. It's still the first character's turn, and already Zappy has Zapped four times (and each WoT in the party has used two daily uses of Speed Up). If, by some stretch, Target is still standing, WoT 1 invokes Speed Up again, giving Zappy and WoT 2 another free standard action (loop until all uses of Speed Up are gone, or Target is no longer viable). Now, Zappy could be a rogue (catching everyone flat-footed), or an archer with manyshot, or even a Barbarian with Power Attack (burning a standard action as a move to get next to the opponent). Fundamentally, it doesn't matter what Zappy is, so long as he is a combat-capable character who can reasonably take down a level-appropriet challenge in four standard actions if he gets them.

But with two of these guys plus Zappy, if either of the WoT's go first, you have a Win button. If there are more WoT's in the party, or more than three party members, it gets really bad. It's kinda like 3.0 Haste, only worse in that it's stackable.

Now, if it had a clause similar to Time Stop's clause, so that only things granted extra actions by the effect, or unattended stuff, could be affected with the standard action, it might be different (which would mean Zappy can't Zap effectively).

Tack on the fact that you can qualify for this PrC at 5th fairly easily, and the power is easily comperable to Time Stop....

Triaxx
2007-03-05, 08:09 PM
Four standard actions, and a move action. You can charge, then have three further actions. Really it needs nothing more than 'does not stack with other castings of Speed up.'

Eighth_Seraph
2007-03-05, 08:16 PM
I think what he meant is that two Wizards of Time break the universe. Allow me to demonstrate with my friends Joe, Arilon, and Cyarus, all with five levels in the class.

Joe:Speed Up both Arilon and Cyarus.
Arilon: Disintegrate on opposing (and raging) barbarian. Strong fortitude means the barbarian survives and attains (to him) minimal damage. Uses the bonus from Speed Up to speed up Joe and Cyarus.
Cyarus: Quickened Disintegrate or , same spell again. And again. [I]Pause the area in which the living remnants are. If this round went badly, simply have a Do Over! Since the other two will not have technically used their time magic effects, they can still speed up back and forth all they want in this newly done round.

(EDIT) ...wow. Double ninja'd. 1 G0T PWNZ0R3D

RandomNPC
2007-03-05, 09:04 PM
there was a game with a cat like things as the main character, i think it was X box, im not sure. He carried this things around that looked like an electric gitar without any strings, and instead of the hole in the base there were some buttons, pause, play, FF, RR, and Replay (fun button).

anyway, try looking for it for some ideas, i think it was Blinx the cat, but i may be wrong. in the second one he used his time control to fight space control pigs. litterally, he was a humanoid cat with the powers of time, fighting humanoid pigs with the powers of space.

to keep the game from being broken you could always make the being unique, refrencing another game, Saga Frontier, there is only one being in the world who controls space magic and only one who controls time magic. after being defeated the power is passed on, or the posesser can willingly pass it on.

under the asumption nobody purposely breaks the game with it it seems to work pretty well, ive been wanting to do a time mage but didn't know how to go about it.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-03-05, 09:16 PM
I think the best way to balance Speed Up is to make it usable once per subject per round, or possibly even more restricted, such as per minute or per encounter; also, make it so that after casting it, you can't be affected for a duration (as if you were affected by it).

Pause is decent, as is Do-over; it might actually do to make it a bit longer.

jjpickar
2007-03-05, 10:03 PM
Hmmm I'll take a look at timestop to edit speed up. And the extra action is on the character's turn not when the ability is used.

I could always make have some undesirable consequences. Such as having the subject of speed up take a fortitude save or be nauseated. How does that sound?

jlousivy
2007-03-05, 10:58 PM
i personally liked the 2.0 drawback of haste-- you age one year.
granted elves have no problem here, but the younger races kinda get the shaft

jjpickar
2007-03-06, 02:06 PM
Okay, I've considered my options and I'm changing the standard action to a move action (which can be used as an additional 5 foot step).

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-06, 04:57 PM
Cool idea, possible to break, but I think if the player is good intenioned and doesn't use the cheese potential it'd be a really fun idea.

Do over!: Do creatures remeber what happened in the previous round? Or does just the time mage?
And theoretically, because he went back in time, the time mage hasn't used Do Over! yet. So he can use it unlimitedly.

Pause: Can I attack a paused person as long as I don't enter the paused square? Or would my weapon be stopped?
And if so, could I pause someone for 5 rounds, and then let my archer frient rapid shot some 20+ arrows at them. All of which freeze when they hit the boundry of the square. Then it unpauses. Pincushioned!

jlousivy
2007-03-06, 07:53 PM
I definitely was thinking the same thing with pause, especially since the target would most likely be flat footed too...

jjpickar
2007-03-07, 01:44 PM
No you can't use rewind to get unlimited uses of rewind. You cant attack a paused person with melee but ranged would work fine.

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-07, 04:45 PM
Are people aware of being Do-Over!ed?

jjpickar
2007-03-07, 10:20 PM
Nope, only you. It's really handy when the Wizard of Time has stuck his foot in his mouth.

Dragonus45
2007-03-07, 11:11 PM
I might run it as a NPC villan, lots of uses for power triping to rule the world,