PDA

View Full Version : Aoi's Instant Cliff [Spell] PEACH

AoiRorentsu
2007-03-06, 02:00 AM
On another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2060318&highlight=instant+cliff#post2060318), someone mentioned that having a cliff around when you need one was worth a spell. I've never homebrewed before, so treat me like a child- gentle but firm. Or something. I'm more or less lost on spell school and level, but yeah, any advice/criticism appreciated.

Aoi’s Instant Cliff
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Asn 3, Wiz/Soc 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft./level)
Target: 4 contiguous 5’ by 5’ squares, arranged in any shape
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Ref (special)
Spell Resistance: None

Aoi’s Instant Cliff summons a small conduit into the Astral Plane on a (relatively) flat, horizontal surface. It cannot be summoned underneath a creature, but it can be placed in front (to act as a defensive barrier) or behind a creature. No creatures already in the Astral Plane can enter or exit the Material Plane through this conduit.

Once the “cliff” is set, any creature may be bull-rushed or otherwise propelled over the cliff. On a successful Ref save, the target has managed to grab onto the ledge of the cliff and can elect to spend their next turn climbing up the ledge as a full-round action, provoking attacks of opportunity.

If the target fails the save, they fall “over” the cliff and briefly through the Astral Plane. After falling a distance equal to the caster’s level x 10 (max 200 feet), it “lands” in the square it occupied before it was pushed over the cliff. The target takes falling damage as appropriate.

Flying creatures are not affected by this spell, nor does the cliff “suck” targets toward it any more than a normal cliff does- it can be jumped over as normal. It simply causes any creatures who enter the squares to “fall.” Any creatures left dangling over the cliff when the spell duration ends automatically “fall” as described above- the cliff ledge gives way before doubling over on itself to close the conduit.

Material Component: a small piece of floor material (such as a wooden plank or a tile) that has been damaged by having a heavy object dropped onto it.

kellandros
2007-03-06, 11:04 AM
Why do I suddenly think of that Portal trailer?

Make paired dimensional door sides at will on any surface, and then start using gravity to your advantage.

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-06, 05:00 PM
Is the cliff visible? Does it look like a cliff? Or are you just walking along and suddenly Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 20d6 damage.

Can you fall coming from both directions? 'Cause then it'd be more like a pit than a cliff.

And what happens if you arrange the 4 squares in a 2 by 2 square. I fall into the first. I then 5-foot shift and fall again?

AoiRorentsu
2007-03-06, 07:45 PM
The idea I guess was to have it more like a pit, and "over the cliff" meant the Astral Plane. I didn't specify in the description, but it should look like the floor affected just melts away into the dull grey (or whatever color) of the Plane.

As for the 2 by 2 square, you get "dropped" into the square you were standing in before you were pushed in. Because the spell can't be cast on a square that's already occupied, I wouldn't think that the scenario you just described is possible... You could conceivably be pushed over the cliff multiple times between two of your own turns, though.

Does that make sense?

Demented
2007-03-06, 08:02 PM
It should be a rift that looks like a cliff, but is actually a portal 200 feet up.
All the fun and benefits of a cliff, without the pesky geographical feature.

'Course, if it's just a cliff-themed portal, that could be kind of boring, no?

martyboy74
2007-03-06, 08:46 PM
It should be a rift that looks like a cliff, but is actually a portal 200 feet up.
All the fun and benefits of a cliff, without the pesky geographical feature.

'Course, if it's just a cliff-themed portal, that could be kind of boring, no?

If you do that, then you suddenly have PCs using that as a way to insta-climb 200' obstacles or using it to gain the aerial advantage. (Its a me-a, Mario!)

brian c
2007-03-06, 09:01 PM
So... it's pretty much a portal from Point A to 200 feet in the air above Point A, courtesy of the astral plane. I like it.

martyboy74
2007-03-06, 09:11 PM
Make it move them 5' away from directly above it, randomly decided by rolled 1d8; it prevents the endless cycle (and particle accelerator bomb).

Collin152
2007-03-06, 09:30 PM
So... What if you drop something in it from above? Perpetual motion?

brian c
2007-03-06, 10:10 PM
I'm thinking that the portals (entry and exit) are two-dimensional; the entry portal is aligned like a door with no depth, so you can push something through it, and the exit portal is like a ceiling so something can come out. You can't go downward into the entry portal.

Collin152
2007-03-06, 10:16 PM
Of course, but you can still throw things in it. Do they retain their inertia? Will they "drift" out of the portal?

brian c
2007-03-06, 11:03 PM
Of course, but you can still throw things in it. Do they retain their inertia? Will they "drift" out of the portal?

The way I'm describing it, if you push something directly in to the entry portal, it will emerge moving directly away from the exit portal, ie if you throw (or bullrush) something horizontally in, it will come out moving away from the exit portal = down. If something enters the entry portal moving diagonally, they will leave the exit portal moving in the same direction with respect to the portal. If you're somewhat math-inclined, think of it like a linear transformation.

Demented
2007-03-06, 11:08 PM
More curiously: If you bullrush someone off the cliff, they will land on your head!

Edit: bzzrrt

Collin152
2007-03-06, 11:10 PM
That's why you keep running with the bullrush. You will land on their head.