PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder "You are strong, child, but I am beyond strength." [Mythos]

Tanuki Tales
2014-08-15, 09:14 PM
Calgurant

"Since love and fear can hardly coexist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. " - Niccolò Machiavelli

Role:

Alignment:

Hit Die: d10

Starting Gold:

Class Skills
The Calgurant class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (All) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Ranks per Level: (6 + Int modifier)

Calgurant

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Mythos
Excellencies

1st

+1

+2

+2

+2
The Tyrant's Mythos, Imperious Mantle
+2
+1

2nd

+2

+3

+3

+3

+0
+1

3rd

+3

+3

+3

+3

+1
+0

4th

+4

+4

+4

+4

+0
+1

5th

+5

+4

+4

+4

+1
+0

6th

+6/+1

+5

+5

+5

+0
+1

7th

+7/+2

+5

+5

+5

+1
+1

8th

+8/+3

+6

+6

+6

+0
+1

9th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+6

+1
+0

10th

+10/+5

+7

+7

+7

+0
+1

11th

+11/+6/+1

+7

+7

+7

+1
+0

12th

+12/+7/+2

+8

+8

+8

+0
+1

13th

+13/+8/+3

+8

+8

+8

+1
+1

14th

+14/+9/+4

+9

+9

+9

+0
+1

15th

+15/+10/+5

+9

+9

+9

+1
+0

16th

+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+10

+10

+0
+1

17th

+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+10

+10

+1
+0

18th

+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+11

+11

+0
+1

19th

+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+11

+11

+1
+1

20th

+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+12

+12

+1
+1

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Calgurant.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Calgurant is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as all armors and shields.

A Calgurant's power is expressed in terms of one or more "Mythos", the building blocks of the legend that they are, and the stories that they have told and will tell. While any given Mythos varies from the rest, they share some similar traits. They are always Extraordinary abilities, and when they reference a difficulty class for an imposed saving throw, that saving throw is always calculated as (10 + 1/2 class level + Charisma modifier, unless otherwise stated). When a Mythos references a "level" that is not clearly defined in some other way, such as "character level", it refers to "class level" as in the number of levels one has in the Calgurant class. When a Mythos references "allies", it specifically does not refer to the Calgurant using it. When a Mythos grants a feat as a bonus feat, it is regardless of whether the character meets the prerequisites for that feat (unless otherwise stated), and if the character already possesses that feat (in some permanent fashion - via the normal allotment gained by leveling up, or through another Mythos, and so on, but not those gained temporarily, such as via a "Heroics" spell), they must replace the prior instance of that feat with another feat that they qualify for.

Every Mythos has a Tier. The Tier of a Mythos ranges from 1 to 4, typically referred to as Exceptional, Fantastic, Legendary, and Exalted. A Calgurant begins play with access to Exceptional Mythos, gaining access to higher tiers as they acquire more levels in this class. A Calgurant gains access to Fantastic Mythos at 7th level, Legendary at 13th, and Exalted at 19th.

Some Mythos, in addition to their initial stated effect, have Basic and Advanced manifestations. When a Calgurant gains access to a Mythos with a list of Basic manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit immediately as well. This choice may not be changed later. When a Calgurant gains access to a Mythos with a list of Advanced manifestations, they may choose one such manifestation, and they gain that benefit upon achieving their next level of Calgurant. This choice may be changed at any point before receiving the chosen manifestation itself, but not after (choosing beforehand is just an easy way to mark it down on your character sheet so you don't forget that you'll be getting something later).

Mythos Known
A 1st level Calgurant begins play with two Exceptional Mythos that he qualifies for if this is his first level in a PC character class. At higher levels, he gains additional Mythos as noted on the Calgurant class table.

For characters that multiclass into Calgurant after having taken levels in another PC character class, the 1st level of Calgurant grants only a single Exceptional Mythos, rather than two.

A Calgurant also has the ability to learn more Mythos, above the ones automatically allotted to him by leveling up by any of the methods listed below:
When a Calgurant makes another creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher change to their way of thinking (either through convincing, cajoling, intimidation or bribery), they gain a number of Mythos Points equal to 10 x the creature's HD.
When a Calgurant erects a monument to their own splendor and accomplishment or sends a message to instill fear, they gain Mythos Points equal to either the gold piece value of the construction or 10 x the total HD of the creatures killed.
When a creature swears fealty to the Calgurant and remains loyal for the span of at least one month, they gain Mythos Points equal to 10 x the HD of the creature.

By spending 1,000 Mythos Points, and 250xp, he may learn an Exceptional Mythos. A Fantastic Mythos requires 5,000 Mythos Points and 500xp. A Legendary Mythos takes 10,000 Mythos Points, and 1,000xp. And an Exalted Mythos takes 20,000 Mythos Points and 2,000xp.

For half the listed price for a given Tier, a Calgurant may learn a Basic or Advanced manifestation of a Mythos they already know of that Tier.

Learning Mythos above the standard amount requires a total self-absorption into the unyielding personality that forms the core of every Calgurant. A Calgurant may only utilize this ability while more than half of his effective character level (ECL) is devoted to levels in the Calgurant class.

A Tyrant's Excellence
As denoted on their class table, a Calgurant gains a certain number of abilities known as "Excellencies". These tend to be more general, generic, and passive than a Mythos, but are useful nonetheless, and are drawn from their own separate list, unsegregated by Tiers. Like a Mythos, a Calgurant may learn more Excellencies above their allotted amount. Each one costs 1,000 Mythos Points and 100xp, plus an additional 1,000 Mythos Points and 100xp for each time a new Excellency is innovated beyond the first. (So, 2,000mp and 200xp for the second, 3,000mp and 300xp for the third, etc.)

Imperious Mantle (Ex)
Though a Tyrant may garb themselves in armor of adamant, this is meant more as a show of wealth and power than for the meager defenses they lend. A Calgurant gains more protection against the fools who would oppose them from their own unbending force of will than from any cobbled-together fripperies of steel or adamant.

At 1st level, the Calgurant gains a Deflection bonus to their AC equal to their Charisma modifier, and reduces any armor check penalty from any armor they wear by an equal amount (to a minimum of 0). .

Tongue of Silver and Brass

A Calgurant gains a bonus on Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive skill checks equal to their class level.

Basic

Ear-Kissing Praise: As a standard action, the Calgurant selects one creature that they have line of sight to and which can hear them speak. The creature must make a Will save or be treated as if under the effects of a Charm Person spell.
Cowing the Impertinent Slave: As a standard action, the Calgurant selects one creature that they have line of sight to and which can hear them speak. The creature must make a Will save or become shaken.

Advanced

Compelling the Stones to Smile: When the Calgurant uses the skills mentioned in and the abilities granted by this Mythos, they ignore any immunities that creatures may possess against them.
Cacophony of One: When the Calgurant uses the skills mentioned in and the abilities granted by this Mythos, and they fail to affect their select target, the Calgurant may attempt the action again as an immediate action with no penalty, even if they normally would not be able to.

[Name Pending]

When a Calgurant makes a successful attack against a creature that has line of sight to the Calgurant, that creature must make a Will save. If the creature succeeds it takes a -1 penalty on all checks and rolls until the beginning of its next turn. If the creature fails the save, it is shaken and takes an amount of untyped damage equal to the Calgurant's Charisma modifier.

Advanced

Name Pending: The creature that fails the saving throw required by this Mythos is frightened instead of shaken.
Name Pending: Any enemies of the Calgurant who witness another creature being affected by this Mythos (regardless of whether or not the affected creature makes the save) and have line of sight to the Calgurant must make a Will save or be fascinated for a number of rounds equal to the Calgurant's Charisma modifier.

[Name Pending]

The Calgurant doubles the effects of any morale bonus that they are currently gaining the benefit of. As a swift action, the Calgurant can choose to forgo the effects of this Mythos to instead grant the same morale bonus to all allies within sixty feet who have line of sight to the Calgurant and can hear them. If the affected allies are already benefiting from the same morale bonus it is doubled instead.

[Name Pending]

Through a ritual that takes 10 minutes to complete, the Calgurant can designate one creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher as bearing its Mark. The Mark must be accepted willingly by the designated creature, the ritual failing otherwise. From that point forward, as long as the creature (here-fore referred to as a "Markbearer") is within line of sight of the Calgurant, they receive a Deflection bonus to their Armor Class equal to the Calgurant's Charisma modifier. The Markbearer's Mark can be placed anywhere on the Markbearer's body and takes a form as desired by the Calgurant at the beginning of the ritual. The Mark exudes a powerful Transmutation aura with a Caster Level equal to the Calgurant's class level.

Once accepted, a Markbearer's Mark is not easily removed; it cannot be dispelled and any mundane means to remove it simply cause it to re-appear one round later. Only one of the methods listed below can remove the Mark:
A Wish or Miracle spell can remove the Mark, but the caster must make a Caster Level check against a DC of the Calgurant's class level plus their Charisma modifier to do so.
The Calgurant, as an immediate action, can remove the Mark from a Markbearer.
Once per day, the Markbearer may attempt an opposed Charisma check against the Calgurant (benefiting from no abilities extended to them as a Markbearer for the purpose of this check). If successful, the Mark is removed; if unsuccessful, the Markbearer is nauseated for the next 24 hours.
The Markbearer dies.

The Calgurant can have a number of Markbearers equal to their Charisma modifier at any given time. A Calgurant cannot be the Markbearer of another Calgurant.

Basic

Name Pending: The Markbearer gains any Combat feat (ignoring prerequisites other than other feats) of the Calgurant's choice as a bonus feat.
Name Pending: The Markbearer gains any Metamagic or Crafting feat (ignoring prerequisites other than other feats) of the Calgurant's choice as a bonus feat.

Advanced

Name Pending: The Markbearer gains the Calgurant's Charisma modifier as a morale bonus on attack and damage rolls as long as they have line of sight to the Calgurant.
Name Pending: The Markbearer gains the Calgurant's Chaisma modifier as a morale bonus on saving throws as long as they have line of sight to the Calgurant.

Master of War

The Calgurant uses their Charisma modifier in place of their Strength or Dexterity modifier for the purpose of attack and damage rolls (when it is beneficial). The Calgurant treats their class level as their level in the Fighter class for the purpose of qualifying for feats.

Basic
Name Pending: The Calgurant gains a Combat feat that they qualify of their choosing. This basic manifestation can be purchased multiple times, selecting a different feat each time.

Advanced

Name Pending: The Calgurant gains their Charisma modifier as a bonus to their CMB and CMD.
Name Pending: The Calgurant gains a competence bonus to critical hit confirmation rolls equal to half their class level and increases the critical threat range of any weapon they wield by one.

Insolence Destroying Death

As a full round action, the Calgurant stands over the corpse of a recently slain foe, causing it to rise from the dead as an Undead servant, as either a Zombie (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/zombie) or Skeleton (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/skeleton), under the Calgurant's command. The Calgurant does need to issue somatic or verbal commands to direct such servants, they instinctively carry out the will of their new master. The Calgurant can have a number of Undead under their control equal to their Charisma modifier.

Advanced

Voices Through Dead Ears: The Calgurant treats their Charisma score as if it was two points higher for the purpose of how many undead they can control through this Mythos.
Lordship Over The Inevitable: Undead created through this Mythos use the Calgurant's Charisma modifier in place of their own for determining bonus hit points, saves and any other ability or affect that is based off Charisma.
Body of the Favored Servant: Undead created through this Mythos gain a +4 morale bonus to their Strength and Dexterity scores.
Name Pending: The Calgurant raises the affected corpse as either a Void Zombie or a Bloody Skeleton instead of a standard Zombie or Skeleton.

Affable [Ability] Cultivation

Prerequisites: One Fantastic Mythos

The Calgurant selects one of their six ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma) when purchasing this Excellency, gaining a +2 enhancement bonus to the selected score.

This Excellency may be initially purchased once for each ability score.

Once the Calgurant knows at least one Legendary Mythos they may purchase this Excellency again for each ability score. This second purchase increases the enhancement bonus granted by four, to a total of +6.

Arrogant [Skill] Epiphany

The Calgurant selects one of their class skills when purchasing this Excellency, automatically refunding any skill ranks they have already put into the selected skill (these ranks may be spent as normal the next time the Calgurant levels up). The Calgurant automatically gains 1 rank in the selected skill, gaining an additional rank each day after purchasing this Excellency until they reach the normal maximum amount of ranks allowed in the selected skill. This process continues each time the maximum is raised, ensuring that the Calgurant has mastery of the selected skill.

This Excellency may be purchased once for each of the Calgurant's class skills.

So, I've been a fan of the entire Mythos project for a while now and will end up playing at least one of the many things made so far for the project pretty soon in the future. I was working on an idea for something when I came across ShadowfireLance's Akastarepti (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359290-Mythos-quot-Is-It-a-monster-No-It-is-a-god-quot-The-Akastarepti-Tyrant-of-Kings) and some of what it represented would have worked wonderfully for the build I had been musing over. Unfortunately, the class didn't particularly meet the needs I was looking for: the Akastarepti goes for more becoming a dragoneseque abomination that wears tyrant-dom as a cloak, rather than being a tyrant at its core. It also delves heavily in the Leadership mechanics, which I never liked (I know Mythos classes, at a point, are meant to be gamebreaking, but I feel like that's pushing it too much). So, to that end I'm making the Calgurant.

Once upon a time, I was something of an extremely amateur writer and even to this day I am prone to using purple prose. Sadly though, my inspiration dried up for the most part years ago and even at my height I don't think I was ever as good at being a wordsmith as someone like Xefas. I have several ideas for mechanics, but no beautiful poetic names to go with them; which would make even the bare bones approach I'm going for with this initial posting highly difficult to parse through. Thus, I'm going to just go with what little I have right now and build this thing piecemeal with input from the wonderful folks here on the Homebrew subforum.

So pull up a chair and here's to hoping this work in progress becomes something amazing.

I'd like to give credit to Amechra and Sgt. Cookie, who have helped with the naming of Mythos for this class.

8/16/2014 - Change-log added.
Affable [Ability] Cultivation and Arrogant [Skill] Epiphany Excellencies added.
Nameless Mythos added.
Nameless Mythos added.
Master of War Mythos added.

Tanuki Tales
2014-08-15, 09:15 PM
Reserved for later use

Tanuki Tales
2014-08-15, 09:17 PM
Reserved for Later later use

Tanuki Tales
2014-08-15, 09:18 PM
Reserved for the Latest of uses

Tanuki Tales
2014-08-15, 09:24 PM
So, here's my horribly empty attempt at getting a Mythos class off the ground. As mentioned in the notes, this is inspired by SFL's Akastarepti and as also mentioned, I have ideas for a variety of Mythos and Excellencies, just not names to go along with them. So help with naming things and crafting fluff is basically what I'm looking for at this point in time, so that I can get more meat up onto this walking skeleton.

Amechra
2014-08-15, 10:03 PM
Tongue of Silver and Brass

A Calgurant gains a bonus on Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive skill checks equal to their class level.

Basic

Ear-Kissing Praise: As a standard action, the Calgurant selects one creature that they have line of sight to and which can hear them speak. The creature must make a Will save or be treated as if under the effects of a Charm Person spell.
Cowing The Impertinent Slave: As a standard action, the Calgurant selects one creature that they have line of sight to and which can hear them speak. The creature must make a Will save or become shaken.

Advanced

Compelling the Stones to Smile: When the Calgurant uses the skills mentioned in and the abilities granted by this Mythos, they ignore any immunities that creatures may possess against them.
Cacophony of One: When the Calgurant uses the skills mentioned in and the abilities granted by this Mythos, and they fail to affect their select target, the Calgurant may attempt the action again as an immediate action with no penalty, even if they normally would not be able to.

I gives you names. You like theses names? Y/N?

More seriously... yeesh, the purple prose in Imperious Mantle is terrible; you aren't even using Adamant right! Try this on for size:

Imperious Mantle (Ex): Though a Tyrant may garb themselves in armour of adamant, this is meant more as a show of wealth and power than for the meagre defenses they lend. A Calgurant gains more protection against the fools who would oppose them from their own unbending force of will than from any cobbled-together fripperies of steel or adamant.

At 1st level, the Calgurant gains a Deflection bonus to their AC equal to their Charisma modifier, and reduces any armor check penalty from any armor they wear by an equal amount (to a minimum of 0).

Typically, you should mention what level you receive the benefit at, and what type of ability it is as well.

Tanuki Tales
2014-08-15, 10:53 PM
I gives you names. You like theses names? Y/N?

Oh, definitely yes. :smallbiggrin:

More seriously... yeesh, the purple prose in Imperious Mantle is terrible; you aren't even using Adamant right! Try this on for size:

I appreciate the rewording, but there is a material called adamantine.

Typically, you should mention what level you receive the benefit at, and what type of ability it is as well.

I knew I forgot something. :smallredface:

Really do appreciate it Amechra. :smallsmile:

Edit:

Oh and I put up two more Mythos. I hope the one doesn't feel like it steps on the toes of the Olethrofex, but I see a distinct enough difference; while the Olethrofex makes undead because it's a walking abomination of death, undeath and oblivion, the Calgurant is simply not putting to waste a resource laid at its feet.

Sgt. Cookie
2014-08-15, 11:10 PM
Insolence Destroying Death

When taking this Mythos, the Calgurant selects one of the Basic Manifestations listed below. As a full round action, the Calgurant stands over the corpse of a recently slain foe, causing it to rise from the dead as an Undead servant, as either a Zombie (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/zombie) or Skeleton (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/skeleton), under the Calgurant's command. The Calgurant does need to issue somatic or verbal commands to direct such servants, they instinctively carry out the will of their new master. The Calgurant can have a number of Undead under their control equal to their Charisma modifier.

Advanced

Voices Through Dead Ears: The Calgurant treats their Charisma score as if it was two points higher for the purpose of how many undead they can control through this Mythos.
Lordship Over The Inevitable: Undead created through this Mythos use the Calgurant's Charisma modifier in place of their own for determining bonus hit points, saves and any other ability or affect that is based off Charisma.
Body of the Favoured Servant: Undead created through this Mythos gain a +4 morale bonus to their Strength and Dexterity scores.

*Tilts head* These work for ya?

Also, I took the liberty of altering the Mythos. Because right now having two Basic manifestations, one of which is gained via the Mythos itself, is.... kind of pointless. You gain a Basic Manifestation because it's THERE, don't forget. Granting and EXTRA one via the Mythos doesn't DO anything.

Tanuki Tales
2014-08-15, 11:27 PM
*Tilts head* These work for ya?

They're great, thanks! :smallsmile:

And now that it's not waiting on a name from a basic manifestation, I have another advanced one to name. :smallredface:

[quote[Also, I took the liberty of altering the Mythos. Because right now having two Basic manifestations, one of which is gained via the Mythos itself, is.... kind of pointless. You gain a Basic Manifestation because it's THERE, don't forget. Granting and EXTRA one via the Mythos doesn't DO anything.[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn the Olethrofex had a similarly laid out Mythos though.

ThreadNecro5
2014-08-15, 11:56 PM
So, here's my horribly empty attempt at getting a Mythos class off the ground. As mentioned in the notes, this is inspired by SFL's Akastarepti and as also mentioned, I have ideas for a variety of Mythos and Excellencies, just not names to go along with them. So help with naming things and crafting fluff is basically what I'm looking for at this point in time, so that I can get more meat up onto this walking skeleton.

im liking what I can see so far, as far as bulking it up a bit I would recommend getting some background for the class's associated titan written first, it should help define what the class will and will not do as part of its 'story'. This should also help define the 'look' you are going for for the class, which I found helped me with naming mythos for the class I am working on, so try that.

otherwise for naming mythos try making a list of names that sound appropriate to the feel and tone of the class and that sound related to your mythos ideas, and just toss them at the wall and see what sticks.

Amechra
2014-08-16, 12:22 PM
I appreciate the rewording, but there is a material called adamantine.

Oh, I know; I changed it so that the sentence's meter would smooth itself out.