PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other GITP creates another class!

Jormengand
2014-08-17, 05:00 PM
Last time we tried making a class, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?335855-GITP-Creates-a-class!-BASE) we ended up with the inglorious clusterflub formerly known as the Mutant Dragon Pyromaniac. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17394737&postcount=47)

And it was FUN!

Therefore, I suggest that we do it again, only organise it a bit better. The rules by which we shall do this is as follows:

The first poster (after me) determines the Base Attack Bonus, save bonus, and hit die
The next poster determines alignment restrictions and weapon/armour proficiency.
The third poster will determine the class's class skills.
After that, someone will name the class.
After that, any poster may give any class feature to the class.

Anyone may give the class spells, powers, maneuvers/stances, utterances, systems, combos/finishing moves, or anything else (as you might have guessed, using your own or my brew is fine, ask anyone else for theirs), but try not to decide too much of how it does this at once. Saying "He eventually casts ninth-level spells" is fine, saying "He uses the sorcerer spell list, casts spells like a druid and has the spells/day of a bard, and he can use combos and finishing moves from the disciple apparent and veteran superior lists" is a) too much and b) probably OP as hell.
Please don't try to change other people's class features, except to add something or fix the wording.
Saying "It should be able to do X" is all very well, but unless you tell me exactly how it's meant to be able to do X, I won't include it unless someone picks up where you left off.

The class should be kept reasonably consistent throughout (giving an Any Nonlawful class Smite Chaos makes no sense)

With all that in mind, post away!

The Starving Artist
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Hunger
1st+0+0+2+2Field of Art, Wise Skills
+2
2nd+1+0+3+3Art
+3
3rd+2+1+3+3Intuition Before Intellect
+3
4th+3+1+4+4Art
+4
5th+3+1+4+4Rewards of Hunger
+4
6th+4+2+5+5Art
+5
7th+5+2+5+5
+5
8th+6/+1+2+6+6Art
+6
9th+6/+1+3+6+6
+6
10th+7/+2+3+7+7Art
+7
11th+8/+3+3+7+7
+7
12th+9/+4+4+8+8Art
+8
13th+9/+4+4+8+8
+8
14th+10/+5+4+9+9Art
+9
15th+11/+6/+1+5+9+9
+9
16th+12/+7/+2+5+10+10Art
+10
17th+12/+7/+2+5+10+10
+10
18th+13/+8/+3+6+11+11Art
+11
19th+14/+9/+4+6+11+11
+11
20th+15/+10/+5+6+12+12Final Art
+12

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
The starving artist may choose any 10 skills to be class skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Wis modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Wis modifier

Class features

All the following are class features of the starving artist.

Weapon and Armour proficiency
The starving artist is proficient in all simple weapons and one martial weapon of his choice, but not with any kind of armour or shield.

Wise Skills
The Starving Artist uses his wisdom modifier instead of intelligence modifier to determine his skill ranks for starving artist levels.

Hunger
The starving artist gains a hunger save progression, as shown on Table: The Artist. This hunger save bonus is modified by the starving artist's constitution and wisdom modifiers.

Field of art
At first level, the Starving Artist selects a field of art. At first level, and every even level after, the starving artist gains a new art from that field. At first level, the artist is also afflicted with a terrible curse, and must take a hunger save to ward off its effects, as written in its description.

The DC for a saving throw against an art is 10 + 1/2 the starving artist's class levels + the starving artist's wisdom modifier.

Swathes of Color Invigorate a Dull World: The Art of Painting

This Starving Artist--the Starving Painter--seeks to imprint himself on the world through the medium of paint. A master of mixing colors, he gains great skill at re-imagining the world with his paint---both on an easel and upon the world itself... not that the two don't sometimes mix. So great is his brilliant imagination that his soul fills his corporeal body with that material closest to his heart--paint.

Associated Skill: Craft (Painting)

1st - An Artist's Curse (Thirsting for Color) (Su):
The Starving Painter sees his art as more than merely a form of expression--it is him, and this perspective transforms the Starving Artist's Hunger into a form that allows him to sustain himself and his art.

Starting at first level, whenever a Starving Artist of Paint that has not eaten in 8 hours sees any sort of liquid paint, he must make a Hunger Save (DC 25) or attempt to consume the paint. Consuming the paint does not actually harm the Artist, but instead gives him nutrition equivalent to a hearty meal (so long as he consumes at least a pint of paint). Many Painters find that different colors possess unique tastes, like emotions given flavor.

Consuming paint imbues his bodily fluids with its essence, and he can manifest this by letting paint flow out from his fingertips (should he hold an item, he may coat the item in paint; not all Starving Artists are willing to fingerpaint, nor does it allow for detailed painting). A Starving Painter takes no penalty to Craft (Painting) checks if he doesn't possess any tools of the trade. The Starving Painter can make this paint be of any color he has consumed within the last 24 hours. As a purely cosmetic effect, his blood is given the same color as the type of paint he last consumed.

1st - Still Life (Su):
Not everyone a Starving Artist paints is willing to stay still long enough to capture their image.

A Painter can, as a standard action, paint a vague outline of a single target within 30 feet upon a nearby surface, bound in chains (or similar methods of restraint). If the subject fails a Reflex save, he is unable to move from his square for a number of rounds equal to the Starving Artist's Wisdom modifier.

2nd - My Life's Work (Su):
It has been said that "art imitates life", although it is generally not meant this literally.

Beginning at 2nd level, as a full round action, the Starving Painter can cut himself and paint a quick image of his desired creation out of his own paint-mixed blood. He imbues it with mobility and a semblance of life as it rises from the surface it was painted on as a full-fledged 3-dimensional being; a Work of Art. As part of activating this ability, the Starving Artist of Paint must cut or puncture himself with a sharp object or by biting his tongue or cheeks (dealing 1d6 damage each time, ignoring DR, damage immunity, or any other effect that would reduce damage).

The Starving Artist can create one small-sized Work of Art per Starving Artist level, or an equivalent number of larger Works of Art. A Medium Work of Art counts as two small works, a Large Work of Art as four, a Huge Work of Art as eight, a Gargantuan Work of Art as sixteen, and a Colossal Work of Art as thirty-two. Regardless of how many times he uses this ability, he can’t create more HD of Works of Art equal to twice his Starving Artist level. If he exceeds this number, all the newly created Works come into under his control, and any excess Works of Art from previous uses collapse into puddles of paint/blood (He choose which creatures are released).

These creatures function exactly like animated objects, using the same stats given in monster manual one. The Works he creates remain under his control indefinitely, will obey any command that they are capable of and are tireless, much like any construct. The starving artist can command his creations as a move action, as if directing an active spell. He may also destroy any Work he has created as a move action.

4th - Redefine "Canvas" (Su):
Is not anything, when gifted with paint, something that is supposed to be painted? If it wasn't meant to be painted, paint would not look so beautiful on it. The Starving Artist merely realizes that all of reality is subject to the same rule.

A Starving Artist no longer needs a surface upon which to paint; her paint clings to the air as though it were a sheet of canvas. He gains a +2 bonus to Craft (Painting) when writing on an actual surface.

6th - Suffering Artist (Su):
To be inspired, sometimes one must suffer unimaginable things.

Any time the Starving Artist has spent at least one round as the victim of an effect that could be removed by a break enchantment effect, the effect is removed.

8th - Silence the Critics (Su):
Sometimes not everyone can keep their opinions to themselves, forcing an artist must do it for them.

A painter can, as a standard action, paint a vauge outline of a single target within 30 feet upon a nearby surface, with their mouth covered (or otherwise gagged). If the subject fails a Reflex save, he is unable to speak or use any verbal components for a number of rounds equal to the Starving Artist's Wisdom modifier.

10th - The Canvas of Life (Su):
There is power in a person's image, and just as much so in metaphor; combining the two allows for miracles.

The Starving Painter is able to repaint the dead onto the canvas of life. If the Artist uses the blood of a recently deceased(the deceased must not have been dead longer than a week) to paint a image of the deceased, they are able to bring them back to life. This requires at least enough blood to make a rough outline of the person's form; the rest is mixed with the painter's paint to let the image (and the person) be colored more than just red.

The Artist makes a Craft (painting) check, with a DC of (24+ HD of subject being revived). If they succeed, the image captures their soul and the deceased jumps out of the now-empty picture, alive and well. The deceased loses one level (or 1 Hit Die) when it is repainted, just as if it had lost a level or a Hit Die to an energy draining creature. If the subject is 1st level, it loses 2 points of Constitution instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can’t be raised). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

If the Artist fail the DC by 5, the deceased becomes a Medium sized Work of Art. They resemble themselves, but are clearly not actually of their race. The deceased's soul, memories, and mind inhabit this Work.
If the artist fail the DC by 10 or more, the deceased becomes a small Work of Art. They resemble themselves, but crudely. The deceased's memory and mind are imprinted onto this work, but it only has a pseudo-soul; the real deceased's soul remains in the afterlife.
Failing the DC by 15 or more means that the Artist failed to repaint the deceased back in any form.

At 15th level, an Artist is capable of using The Canvas of Life to give life to a being that normally cannot be brought back from the dead, such as an outsider, construct, or elemental. However, this has a DC 5 higher than normal, and failing the check by 10 or more fails to bring them back at all.

Weaving Beauty into Threads of Joy: The Art of Weaving
The art of the dress is this Starving Spinster's specialty. A Starving Tailor sees the potential beauty lying within everything, and by garbing a person, a wall, or even the air itself with the children of her imagination, they can bring that potential to full light. Many Starving Artists of the Art of Weaving find that others expect them to imitate the talents of famed thread-weavers of legend, such as the mystical, prideful Arachne, who dared to surpass a goddess and was cursed to be the first spider, or the Fates who spin the threads of destiny itself--these people have forgotten that it is the other way around.
Associated Skill: Craft (Tailoring and Weaving). These two ordinarily distinct Craft skills are considered to be a single skill to a Starving Tailor.
Creations of the Unbound Imagination:
1st
An Artist's Curse:
Accent What is Already There (Su): The Tailor knows that one cannot force a person to fit their clothing; clothing must bring out the good points of those who don it. The Tailor can spend a full-round action to imbue a single target's clothing with the image of what it should have been; this individual gains a +2 fate bonus to Charisma, and anyone seeking to attack this person suffers a penalty to their attack roll equal to the target's Charisma modifier (but no higher than the Starving Tailor's level).

2nd]

4th

6th

8th

10th

12th

14th

16th

18th

[Insert Special Capstone Ability Name Here]

Intuition before Intellect (Ex)
A true artist doesn't need such paltry things as a high IQ!

From 3rd level, a Starving Artist adds his Wisdom modifier to all Intelligence checks as an Insight bonus.

Rewards of Hunger (Ex)

From fifth level, the starving artist gains skill and inspiration through hunger. For every day an artist does not consume food, he must make a hunger save with a DC = days without food x2 + 10. If he makes the check on the first day he gains a +1 bonus on skill checks. If he makes it on the second day he gains a +1 bonus on all saves (excluding hunger saves). If he makes it on the third day he gains a +1 bonus to the save DCs of any arts he uses. On subsequent days, he repeats the progression of gaining bonuses on skill checks, saves, and save DCs. These bonuses stack.

If the starving artist fails a hunger save, he loses all benefits from hunger, becomes fatigued, and takes a -2 penalty on all skill checks until he consumes one pound of food per day he has gone without (A starving painter may substitute that many ounces of paint).

No Time for Food (Su):

A Starving Artist's mind overflows with more ideas than he could ever create in a dragon's lifetime; minor things like "nutrition" are of little import in comparison. At 9th level, if the starving artist has gone without food for at least three days, he crafts artwork (mundane or magical) twice as fast.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-17, 05:04 PM
1. Medium BaB, Good Reflex and Will saves, D6 HD.

Amechra
2014-08-17, 05:06 PM
It has 1/2 BAB, a d12 Hit Die, and the Good progression for Hunger and Reflex saves.

Jormengand
2014-08-17, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I can only take the first answer (and I haven't the first clue what a hunger save is).

Though I thought you might like to know that it has no alignment restrictions and is proficient with all simple weapons, and one martial weapon of its choice.

Amechra
2014-08-17, 05:14 PM
I was Swordsage'd. Darn.

Anyway, it has 6+Wis skill points at each level, as well as any 10 skills as class skills.

Also, a Hunger Save, at Good progression. I have no idea what a Hunger Save does, only that this class has one.

Jormengand
2014-08-17, 05:21 PM
Table is up. I'll move the hunger save to the right place when I clean it all up.

Hm... wisdom-based skillmonkey? This could be interesting.

EDIT: Wrong BAB, gimme a moment.
EDIT2: Fixed.

Amechra
2014-08-17, 05:25 PM
Should be 6 + Wis skill points at each level.

Jormengand
2014-08-17, 05:28 PM
Should be 6 + Wis skill points at each level.

I'm tired, and it's late. Don't judge me.

But yeah, this will be interesting.

LordErebus12
2014-08-17, 05:38 PM
Name: The Starving Artist.

Maybe something with painting skills, i dont know. Maybe you (the target) are the ink and the battlefield is my canvas.

Tvtyrant
2014-08-17, 05:41 PM
It creates a certain amount of Marvelous Pigments per feeding.

Jormengand
2014-08-17, 05:41 PM
Name: The Starving Artist.

Maybe something with painting skills, i dont know. Maybe you (the target) are the ink and the battlefield is my canvas.

Okay...

Wouldn't painting be INT, not WIS (craft)? It seems odd that a painter should specifically have wis-based skill points.

Or maybe he uses his WIS to paint, too. :smalltongue:

LordErebus12
2014-08-17, 05:44 PM
Okay...

Wouldn't painting be INT, not WIS (craft)? It seems odd that a painter should specifically have wis-based skill points.

Or maybe he uses his WIS to paint, too. :smalltongue:

profession is wis based, idk.

its not knowing what to paint, but where, when, and how.

Jormengand
2014-08-17, 05:46 PM
profession is wis based, idk.

its not knowing what to paint, but where, when, and how.

Oh, I suppose he could be professioning artist, rather than crafting art. Fair enough.

Ilinoris
2014-08-17, 06:33 PM
An Artist's Curse

Starting at first level, whenever The Starving Artist sees any sort of paint, he must make a Hunger Save (DC 25) or attempt to consume the paint.
Consuming the paint does not actually harm the Artist, but instead gives him nutrition, and allows him to let paint flow from any of his finger tips. The colour of the paint is free of choice for The Starving Artist, however can only be a color of paint the Artist consumed within the last 24 hours.
The Starving Artist's blood also changes to the color of the last consumed paint.

dragonjek
2014-08-17, 06:47 PM
A Starving Artist selects a Field of Art, which affects a number of his class abilities. To start us off, a couple Fields could include Music Composition, Glassblowing, Dance Choreography, Illusionary Art, and Collage.

I don't think performance arts would fit the class that well--the struggling painter trying to find someone to buy his works sounds more appropriate than a dancer looking for a troupe to join. I suggest that we stick to arts that result in an actual product, although that's just a suggestion.

(names very, very much subject to change. Please make it less bland)

EDIT: Sorry, I had this up for a while so I didn't notice that someone posted before me. Perhaps each Field could have an associated Curse?)

Ilinoris
2014-08-17, 06:57 PM
A Starving Artist selects a Field of Art, which affects a number of his class abilities. To start us off, a couple Fields could include Music Composition, Glassblowing, Dance Choreography, Illusionary Art, and Collage.

I don't think performance arts would fit the class that well--the struggling painter trying to find someone to buy his works sounds more appropriate than a dancer looking for a troupe to join. I suggest that we stick to arts that result in an actual product, although that's just a suggestion.

(names very, very much subject to change. Please make it less bland)

EDIT: Sorry, I had this up for a while so I didn't notice that someone posted before me. Perhaps each Field could have an associated Curse?)

I wouldn't mind! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: I could easily see some curse with a guy eating glass or ink(calligraphy), maybe a compulsion to write chords.

LordErebus12
2014-08-17, 07:14 PM
An Artist's Curse

Starting at first level, whenever The Starving Artist sees any sort of paint, he must make a Hunger Save (DC 25) or attempt to consume the paint.
Consuming the paint does not actually harm the Artist, but instead gives him nutrition, and allows him to let paint flow from any of his finger tips. The colour of the paint is free of choice for The Starving Artist, however can only be a color of paint the Artist consumed within the last 24 hours.
The Starving Artist's blood also changes to the color of the last consumed paint.

I love this...

My life's Work (Sp):
As a full round action, the starving artist can cut himself and create small (or more/or larger) minions out of his own paint-mixed blood, imbuing them with mobility and a semblance of life. As part of activating this ability, the Starving artist must cut or puncture himself with some sort of sharp tool or weapon (dealing 1d6 damage each time, ignoring DR, damage immunity, etc.). The starving artist can command his minions as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

The Starving Artist can create one small-sized 'Work of Art' per Starving Artist level, or an equivalent number of larger 'Works of Art'. A Medium 'Work of Art' counts as two Small or smaller 'Works of Art', a Large 'Work of Art' as four, a Huge 'Work of Art' as eight, a Gargantuan 'Work of Art' as sixteen, and a Colossal 'Work of Art' as thirty-two. These creatures function exactly like animated objects, using the same stats given in monster manual one.

The 'works of art' you create remain under your control indefinitely, will obey any command that they are capable of and are tireless, much like any construct. Regardless of how many times you use this ability, you can’t create more HD of 'Works of Art' equal to twice your starving artist level. If you exceed this number, all the newly created 'works of art' fall under your control, and any excess 'works of art' from previous uses collapse into puddles of paint/blood (You choose which creatures are released).

(it needs some tweaking/revising)

An artist must be willing to sacrifice himself for the greater reward of his art!

Eighthling
2014-08-17, 08:41 PM
Rewards of Hunger: The starving artist gains skill and inspiration through hunger. For every day an artist does not consume food, he must make a hunger check with a DC = days without food x2 + 10 - con modifier. If he makes the check on the first day he gains a +1 untyped bonus on skill checks. If he makes it on the second day he gains a +1 untyped bonus on all saves (excluding hunger checks). If he makes it on the third day he gains on hunger point, which can be used to increase the power {whatever he does with his art}. This then repeats. If he fails a hunger check he is fatigued and takes a -2 penalty on all skill checks until he consumes number of days without food x 1/2 lbs of food or that many oz of paint.

Ilinoris
2014-08-17, 08:49 PM
It seems that we are going with the painter route so far. (Sorry dragonjek)

The Canvas of Life

Starting at 10th level, The Starving Artist is able to reapint the dead onto the canvas of life.
If the Artist uses the blood of a recently deceased(the deceased must not have been dead longer than a week) to paint a image of the deceased, they are able to bring them back to life.
The Artist makes a craft(painting) check (DC 30). If they succeed, the deceased jump out of the picture and is alive and well.
The deceased loses one level (or 1 Hit Die) when it is repainted, just as if it had lost a level or a Hit Die to an energydraining creature. If the subject is 1st level, it loses 2 points of Constitution instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can’t be raised). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.
If the Artist fail the DC by 5, the deceased becomes a Medium sized ”Work of Art”.
If the artist fail the DC by 10 or more, the deceased becomes a small ”Work of Art”. The deceased retains all memory and personality, even if repainted as a "Work of Art".
Failing the DC by 15 or more means that the artist failed entirely to repaint the deceased back.

-

This obviously means we have to stat the ”Works of Art”. I'm thinking constructs?

Edit: Was overpowered for a 10th level ability, reworked to fit better.

dragonjek
2014-08-17, 10:47 PM
Actually, nothing that's been posted so far has been bad for the Fields of Art idea. We've just been focusing on painting.
Rather than just numbers (that's pretty boring), I was considering making each stage of the

Creations of the Unbound Imagination: I noticed that the abilities described so far are about doing things, not actually making a painting that is supernatural. I thought that it should have its own ability, but then I realized--there's way too much here for it to be just one ability. There's a lot that can be done. I have a couple of suggestions; 1.) We make the most interesting ideas into direct class features, or 2.) We make a list of possible artwork, which the Starving Artist can then pick from as he gains levels. Well, may not every level, but frequently.

(progression subject to change, names subject to change, everything subject to change.)

This Starving Artist--the Starving Painter--seeks to imprint himself on the world through the medium of paint. A master of mixing colors, he gains great skill at re-imagining the world with his paint---both on an easel and upon the world itself... not that the two don't sometimes mix. So great is his brilliant imagination that his soul fills his corporeal body with that material closest to his heart--paint.
1st Level:
An Artist's Curse--Thirsting for Color: The Starving Painter sees his art as more than merely a form of expression--it is him, and this perspective transforms the Starving Artist's old frenemy Hunger into a form that allows him to sustain himself and his art.

Starting at first level, whenever a Starving Artist of Paint that has not eaten in 8 hours sees any sort of liquid paint, he must make a Hunger Save (DC 25) or attempt to consume the paint. Consuming the paint does not actually harm the Artist, but instead gives him nutrition equivalent to a hearty meal (so long as he consumes at least a pint of paint). Many Painters find that different colors possess unique tastes, like emotions given flavor.

Consuming paint imbues his bodily fluids with its essence, and he can manifest this by letting paint flow out from his fingertips (should he hold an item, he may coat the item in paint; not all Starving Artists are willing to fingerpaint). A Starving Painter takes no penalty to Craft (Painting) checks if he doesn't possess any tools of the trade. The Starving Painter can make this paint be of any color he has consumed within the last 24 hours. As a purely cosmetic effect, his blood is given the same color as the type of paint he last consumed.

Still Life (Su): Not everyone a Starving Artist of Paint is willing to stay still long enough to capture their image. A Painter can, as a standard action, paint a vague outline of a single target within 30 feet upon a surface, bound in chains (or similar methods of restraint). If the subject fails a Reflex save, he is unable to move from his square for a number of rounds equal to the Starving Artist's Wisdom modifier.
2nd Level:

My Life's Work (Sp): It has been said that "art imitates life". It is generally not meant this literally As a full round action, the Starving Painter can cut himself and paint a quick image of his desired creation out of his own paint-mixed blood. He imbues it with mobility and a semblance of life as it rises from the surface it was painted on as a full-fledged 3-dimensional being; a Work of Art. As part of activating this ability, the Starving Artist of Paint must cut or puncture himself with a sharp object or by biting his tongue or cheeks (dealing 1d6 damage each time, ignoring DR, damage immunity, or any other effect that would reduce damage). The starving artist can command his creations as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

The Starving Artist can create one small-sized Work of Art per Starving Artist level, or an equivalent number of larger Works of Art. A Medium Work of Art counts as two Small or smaller Works, a Large Work of Art as four, a Huge Work of Art as eight, a Gargantuan Work of Art as sixteen, and a Colossal Work of Art' as thirty-two. These creatures function exactly like animated objects, using the same stats given in monster manual one.

The Works he createsremain under his control indefinitely, will obey any command that they are capable of and are tireless, much like any construct. Regardless of how many times he uses this ability, he can’t create more HD of Works of Art equal to twice his Starving Artist level. If he exceeds this number, all the newly created Works come into under his control, and any excess Works of Art from previous uses collapse into puddles of paint/blood (He choose which creatures are released). He may also destroy any Work you have created as a move action.

4th
Redefine "Canvas" (Su): Is not anything, when gifted with paint, something that is supposed to be painted? If it wasn't meant to be painted, paint would not look so beautiful on it. The Starving Artist merely realizes that all of reality is subject to the same rule. A Starving Artist no longer needs a surface upon which to paint; her paint clings to the air as though it were a sheet of canvas. He gains a +2 bonus to Craft (Painting) when writing on an actual surface.

6th

8th

10th
The Canvas of Life (Su): There is power in a person's image, and just as much so in metaphor; combining the two allows for miracles. The Starving Painter is able to repaint the dead onto the canvas of life. If the Artist uses the blood of a recently deceased(the deceased must not have been dead longer than a week) to paint a image of the deceased, they are able to bring them back to life. This requires at least enough blood to make a rough outline of the person's form; the rest is mixed with the painter's paint to let the image (and the person) be colored more than just red.

The Artist makes a Craft (painting) check, with a DC of (24+ HD of subject being revived). If they succeed, the image captures their soul and the deceased jumps out of the now-empty picture, alive and well. The deceased loses one level (or 1 Hit Die) when it is repainted, just as if it had lost a level or a Hit Die to an energy draining creature. If the subject is 1st level, it loses 2 points of Constitution instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can’t be raised). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.
If the Artist fail the DC by 5, the deceased becomes a Medium sized Work of Art. They resemble themselves, but are clearly not actually of their race. The deceased's soul, memories, and mind inhabit this Work.
If the artist fail the DC by 10 or more, the deceased becomes a small Work of Art. They resemble themselves, but crudely. The deceased's memory and mind are imprinted onto this work, but it only has a pseudo-soul; the real deceased's soul remains in the afterlife.
Failing the DC by 15 or more means that the Artist failed to repaint the deceased back in any form.

At 15th level, an Artist is capable of using The Canvas of Life to give life to a being that normally cannot be brought back from the dead, such as an outsider, construct, or elemental. However, this has a DC 5 higher than normal, and failing the check by 10 or more fails to bring them back at all.

12th

14th

16th

18th

Weaving Beauty into Threads of Joy: The Art of Weaving
The art of the dress is this Starving Spinster's specialty. A Starving Tailor sees the potential beauty lying within everything, and by garbing a person, a wall, or even the air itself with the children of her imagination, they can bring that potential to full light. Many Starving Artists of the Art of Weaving find that others expect them to imitate the talents of famed thread-weavers of legend, such as the mystical, prideful Arachne, who dared to surpass a goddess and was cursed to be the first spider, or the Fates who spin the threads of destiny itself--these people have forgotten that it is the other way around.
Associated Skill: Craft (Tailoring and Weaving). These two ordinarily distinct Craft skills are considered to be a single skill to a Starving Tailor.
1st
An Artist's Curse:
Accent What is Already There (Su): The Tailor knows that one cannot force a person to fit their clothing; clothing must bring out the good points of those who don it. The Tailor can spend a full-round action to imbue a single target's clothing with the image of what it should have been; this individual gains a +2 fate bonus to Charisma, and anyone seeking to attack this person suffers a penalty to their attack roll equal to the target's Charisma modifier (but no higher than the Starving Tailor's level).

2nd]

4th

6th

8th

10th

12th

14th

16th

18th

(I made a couple changes--we don't want him going around eating paintings, so I defined that so he only thirsts for paint that is still a liquid. And because an Artist with unlucky rolls is entirely capable of drinking paint until his stomach bursts open, I let a still-full Artist (though not full for long...) not have to keep eating until he drinks all the paint and dies.

We don't actually have to stat the Works--they're described as Animated Objects. Although we could stat them out, give some mechanical effects of being made of paint (maybe like being oozes instead of constructs?)
"My Life's Work" also doesn't isn't actually using Animate Objects, just generating effects similar to it through entirely different means. That's more like a supernatural ability. I also gave a class ability that requires painting. I also took the liberty of making it involve painting, but you didn't actually specify how it worked. I thought it fit a 2nd level ability, as you said each level is one small Work, and a medium is worth 2 smalls. Gaining access to it at 2nd level, thus having a little bit of variety right off the bat, seemed suiting.
I gave The Canvas of Life a mutable difficulty... I don't think bringing a dragon back to life should be as easy as giving breath back to a kid's puppy.

I apologize for the changes I made, and hope that my explanation mollified any upset from my doing so.)

I hope I'm not doing too much at once... I tried not to actually make that much, just provide ideas to shape possible directions for the class.

LordErebus12
2014-08-18, 12:39 AM

1st - An Artist's Curse (Thirsting for Color) (Su):
The Starving Painter sees his art as more than merely a form of expression--it is him, and this perspective transforms the Starving Artist's Hunger into a form that allows him to sustain himself and his art.

Consuming paint imbues his bodily fluids with its essence, and he can manifest this by letting paint flow out from his fingertips (should he hold an item, he may coat the item in paint; not all Starving Artists are willing to fingerpaint, nor does it allow for detailed painting). A Starving Painter takes no penalty to Craft (Painting) checks if he doesn't possess any tools of the trade. The Starving Painter can make this paint be of any color he has consumed within the last 24 hours. As a purely cosmetic effect, his blood is given the same color as the type of paint he last consumed.

1st - Still Life (Su):
Not everyone a Starving Artist paints is willing to stay still long enough to capture their image.

A Painter can, as a standard action, paint a vague outline of a single target within 30 feet upon a nearby surface, bound in chains (or similar methods of restraint). If the subject fails a Reflex save, he is unable to move from his square for a number of rounds equal to the Starving Artist's Wisdom modifier.

2nd - My Life's Work (Su):
It has been said that "art imitates life", although it is generally not meant this literally.

Beginning at 2nd level, as a full round action, the Starving Painter can cut himself and paint a quick image of his desired creation out of his own paint-mixed blood. He imbues it with mobility and a semblance of life as it rises from the surface it was painted on as a full-fledged 3-dimensional being; a Work of Art. As part of activating this ability, the Starving Artist of Paint must cut or puncture himself with a sharp object or by biting his tongue or cheeks (dealing 1d6 damage each time, ignoring DR, damage immunity, or any other effect that would reduce damage).

The Starving Artist can create one small-sized Work of Art per Starving Artist level, or an equivalent number of larger Works of Art. A Medium Work of Art counts as two small works, a Large Work of Art as four, a Huge Work of Art as eight, a Gargantuan Work of Art as sixteen, and a Colossal Work of Art as thirty-two. Regardless of how many times he uses this ability, he can’t create more HD of Works of Art equal to twice his Starving Artist level. If he exceeds this number, all the newly created Works come into under his control, and any excess Works of Art from previous uses collapse into puddles of paint/blood (He choose which creatures are released).

These creatures function exactly like animated objects, using the same stats given in monster manual one. The Works he creates remain under his control indefinitely, will obey any command that they are capable of and are tireless, much like any construct. The starving artist can command his creations as a move action, as if directing an active spell. He may also destroy any Work he has created as a move action.

4th - Redefine "Canvas" (Su):
Is not anything, when gifted with paint, something that is supposed to be painted? If it wasn't meant to be painted, paint would not look so beautiful on it. The Starving Artist merely realizes that all of reality is subject to the same rule.

A Starving Artist no longer needs a surface upon which to paint; her paint clings to the air as though it were a sheet of canvas. He gains a +2 bonus to Craft (Painting) when writing on an actual surface.

6th - Suffering Artist (Su):
To be inspired, sometimes one must suffer unimaginable things.

Any time the Starving Artist has spent at least one round as the victim of an effect that could be removed by a break enchantment effect, the effect is removed.

8th - Silence the Critics (Su):
Sometimes not everyone can keep their opinions to themselves, forcing an artist must do it for them.

A painter can, as a standard action, paint a vauge outline of a single target within 30 feet upon a nearby surface, with their mouth covered (or otherwise gagged). If the subject fails a Reflex save, he is unable to speak or use any verbal components for a number of rounds equal to the Starving Artist's Wisdom modifier.

10th - The Canvas of Life (Su):
There is power in a person's image, and just as much so in metaphor; combining the two allows for miracles.

The Starving Painter is able to repaint the dead onto the canvas of life. If the Artist uses the blood of a recently deceased(the deceased must not have been dead longer than a week) to paint a image of the deceased, they are able to bring them back to life. This requires at least enough blood to make a rough outline of the person's form; the rest is mixed with the painter's paint to let the image (and the person) be colored more than just red.

Ilinoris
2014-08-18, 05:09 AM
I haven't got a class feature this time around, I'd just like to say that I am already in love with this class.

Jormengand
2014-08-18, 07:28 AM
I thought this guy was meant to be professioning, rather than crafting, which was why he had his skill points based on wisdom? I may have to call in the "Fix something that makes no sense" clause, either to make his skill points INT-based again or to give him professions instead of crafts.

Hmm... the whole WIS-based skill points never really did make sense, so I'll make it INT.

Amechra
2014-08-18, 10:35 AM
Or, we could go with:

Intuition before Intellect (Ex): A true artist doesn't need such paltry things as a high IQ!

At Xth level, a Starving Artist adds their Wisdom modifier to all Intelligence checks as an Insight bonus.

Jormengand
2014-08-18, 10:45 AM
Or, we could go with:

Intuition before Intellect (Ex): A true artist doesn't need such paltry things as a high IQ!

At Xth level, a Starving Artist adds their Wisdom modifier to all Intelligence checks as an Insight bonus.

Okay, the artist is now all wisdom'd up again.

dragonjek
2014-08-18, 12:28 PM
A bit more on the "Starving" side of things.

No Time for Food (Su): A Starving Artist's mind overflows with more ideas than he could ever create in a dragon's lifetime; minor things like "nutrition" are of little import in comparison. At 9th level, every hour a Starving Artist spends crafting counts as 2 hours, cutting the time to create artwork (both mundane and magical) in half. The Starving Artist only benefits from his ability if they possess at least 1 hunger point.

GorinichSerpant
2014-08-19, 12:11 AM
I like this class, seems very interesting.

It is a known fact that many artists only gain the fame and wealth they worked hard for after they pass away and don't need it, so there needs to be a class feature for that.

Maybe at Xth level, when you die you become some kind of ghost that lives off/gains power based on your popularity, and can't use magic items. Maybe that ghost is tied to the art they chose, like the music composer becomes a wave of sounds floating around, or the painter becomes a painting. But that doesn't seem tragically appropriate.

There also is the issue that the general assumptions of the game don't match with the "story" of the starving artist. A proper starving artist should be constantly broke while the average adventurer has more gold then some people see in a life time.

So obviously the logical way to play is so all the pcs are Starving Artists of different fields...:smallconfused:
I think I just came up with a pitch for a World of Darkness game.:smallbiggrin:

dragonjek
2014-08-19, 12:29 AM
There also is the issue that the general assumptions of the game don't match with the "story" of the starving artist. A proper starving artist should be constantly broke while the average adventurer has more gold then some people see in a life time.

Perhaps money issues could be worked into the baseline An Artist's Curse for all artists? Perhaps something like losing a certain percentage of money every day--they have to spend it on things quickly if they want to get their benefits. If we make for field-specific sort-of magical items for The Creations of Unbound Imagination ability, they should be able to have access to magical items to balance out the decreased amount of money.

Or maybe their powers make them need 5 times as much food in a meal as others of their race. Still, we would have the problem of the rest of the party just keeping the money to themselves, with nothing for the Artist to lose, and give him magical items once bought. ... Maybe they lose a certain percentage of wealth, instead of just gold? Items of particular import to him as a person don't leave (but we would still need a limit on numbers), but other stuff just gets lost. He'd be supplementing items with Creations, so it shouldn't be too big a loss for him.
I'm really not entirely sure how to confront that problem.

At the very least, we should make magic items that provide nourishment or create food not function for them, at all; the ioun stone does not orbit, the created/summoned food dissolves into mist.

It certainly is rare for adventurers to not have mounds of money.

I think I just came up with a pitch for a World of Darkness game
Artist: the Hungering

Jormengand
2014-08-19, 12:20 PM
I'm getting the feeling that the problem we're having is that we've opened ourselves up to having far too many class features - even if we only have 3 types of art, we still need a total of 3*11+9=42 different class features.

Maybe just stick to painting?

1pwny
2014-08-19, 01:02 PM
You should change the '[table]' tag to '[table="class:grid head"]' in the first post.

And NEVER! ART! ART! ART!

Speaking of which, how about this?

Level 2 Art - Object D'Art (Sp): You form a small, blob-like sculpture, and fling it at an opponent. [Insert damage text here]

Jormengand
2014-08-19, 01:06 PM
You should change the '[table]' tag to '[table="class:grid head"]' in the first post.

It's done, as are the [th] tags to make that do its thing.

dragonjek
2014-08-19, 02:15 PM
:smalleek:
That is a lot of class features. Hm...
I can't say I'm actually opposed to making an artist focused entirely on painting. I'd still like to see if the Field idea could work, though. Perhaps we could have a slightly more organized division of labor? Individuals or teams could pick up a Field and flesh it out, returning here to bounce ideas off people before post up the completed Field. We can leave Paint, and maybe a couple of the more common ones (writing, perhaps?), as well as the class itself, open for anyone to add to. And once someone puts up finished or partly-finished Field... well, it's a community project, so at that point it could be looked over and (if necessary) picked apart to be remade.

I might be trying to give this more complexity than desired... I'm fine going with whatever the rest of you decide to do.

spikeof2010
2014-08-19, 09:38 PM
I'm flattered by this! Helps cheer me up on a sick day.

5th Level: Disney's Aura: The Starving Artist is under the effects of Prestidigitation all the time now. This is an extraordinary ability.

dragonjek
2014-08-20, 05:34 PM
Under the effects of Prestidigitation? Prestidigitation has a number of possible effects. which ones? Is he warm, cold, dirty, clean, wet, dry. constantly producing a 1 inch flame across his body, flavored with every flavor, levitating all 1 pound objects around him while constantly creating minor, effectively useless small items all the time?

I could see having the ability to use Prestidigitation, but I'm not sure how being under its effect would work.

3WhiteFox3
2014-08-20, 05:42 PM
Being under the effect of a spell isn't very different from being able to use. It's like having continuous Detect Magic or at-will Detect Magic. Both give you usage of the spell but the second one costs an action to use each time.

Remember prestidigitation's effect is the ability to do minor effects during it's duration, not just one effect. So that would be the effect the class is under.

LordErebus12
2014-08-20, 05:55 PM
Being under the effect of a spell isn't very different from being able to use. It's like having continuous Detect Magic or at-will Detect Magic. Both give you usage of the spell but the second one costs an action to use each time.

Remember prestidigitation's effect is the ability to do minor effects during it's duration, not just one effect. So that would be the effect the class is under.

I agree with Dragonjek on this one. Wording is everything. Furthermore, all those effects are clearly magical in nature, and would never be extraordinary. Since it mimics a spell exactly, its a spell-like ability.

Disney's Aura (Sp):
The Starving Artist seems to be able to produce small but wondrous effects with nothing but a simple gesture.

The Starving Artist can use Prestidigitation, as the spell, at will.