PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Elemental Race

VadjniArden
2014-08-19, 12:09 PM
OK, this is a race that I have been working on for a while. I am trying to make a different version for every element, including light and shadow. Any feedback is appreciated.

Rannan

Physical Description: They can look like any race they gained awareness near, but their skin has a slight tint to it that resembles their natural element. They also have lines that look like tattoos all over their bodies. These lines are darker and are the color of their element. If you look closely, you can see the lines are actually moving because it is their lifeblood showing through. Their eyes do not have pupils or irises, but they are one solid deep color of your element. The eyes seem to always be shifting, as if they were fluid or flame. Their hair can be styled however they like, but is done at will because it is a hardened form of their element, (Air and shadow can be more flowing). For example, a fire Rannan could have a Mohawk that looks like it is moving, but is actually hardened in place. Their bodies are actually deceptive. The only give the appearance of a normal medium sized race, but they can be facing one direction, and then their bodies shift to where they are facing the opposite direction. Instead of turning around, the body just morphs its features onto the other side to change directions.

History: They are native to every plane. They are born from the purest form of their element. They have tried to resemble normal medium sized races, and mainly try to blend in. They are not hated by any of the other races. Rannan are not male or female because they do not reproduce by sex, but by natural occurrence.

Based off of the ARG, their RP is a base of 25, but the other points mainly involve travel forms and speeds. I am willing to lower this if needed.

Base Race
3 RP Outsider
0 RP Medium
0 RP Normal speed
4 RP Advanced Modifiers +2 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 WIS, +4 CHA
3 RP Spell Resistance Greater - SR = 11+Character level
1 RP Linguist - Can learn any language except secret languages
4 RPElemental Immunity - Immune to your own energy type (For shadow and Light you can pick one close to your type.)
6 RP Elemental Weapon - Deal 1d6 damage with chosen energy type with natural attack, unarmed strike or melee weapon
4 RP All around vision - Can see in all directions, +4 to perception and are immune to flanking

Fire 27 RP
1 RP Fast - +10 ft to travel speed
2 RP Quick Reactions - Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.

Air 31 RP
6 RP Flight - 30 ft fly with Average Maneuverability (I tweaked the rp on this one. I didn't want to give too much of a fly speed, but wanted at least average maneuverability for an air elemental.)

Water
2 RP - Swim - 20 ft swim speed and +8 to swim checks
+2 RP - Amphibious - Can breath air and water

Earth 33 RP
5 RP Improved Natural Armor - +2 natural armor bonus to AC
3 RP Burrow - Can burrow at a speed of 20 ft

Shadow 35 RP
1 RP Shadow Blending - 50% miss chance in dim light
4 RP See in Darkness - Can see normally in any darkness
5 RP Shadow Travel - (Per DM approval, my DM liked it) Can travel through shadow, just as normal movement, but can only move your normal movement speed.

Light
I am trying to give light something, but I could use suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback as always.

DeZrog
2014-08-21, 10:48 AM
I'm just wondering if you've considered how easily flying or burrowing characters can trivialize most early encounters. Burrowing is especially bad - very few enemies will follow a burrowing escapee (example: double-burrow-move straight down, and then 5 feet sideways at the bottom. Pursuers either have to climb down, which is very slow, or fall 40').

I realize that these are high-level templates, but as a DM, I would probably not consider these for my campaign because of their mobility options.

VadjniArden
2014-08-22, 02:00 AM
I'm just wondering if you've considered how easily flying or burrowing characters can trivialize most early encounters. Burrowing is especially bad - very few enemies will follow a burrowing escapee (example: double-burrow-move straight down, and then 5 feet sideways at the bottom. Pursuers either have to climb down, which is very slow, or fall 40').

I realize that these are high-level templates, but as a DM, I would probably not consider these for my campaign because of their mobility options.

In the campaign setting I am in, it is not broken. Our DM has been beating us down like crazy. It is in an apocalyptic campaign, and we struggle to survive most of the time. I would not use this in a normal style dungeon at all.