PDA

View Full Version : DM guidelines ?

TomPliss
2014-08-20, 04:32 AM
hey guys,

I've skimmed the Basic rules, should be receiving my PHB in the next days, and will DM a game in 2 weeks.

I have no access to the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, so I clearly lack any material on the DM side of the game (even if I have seen the monster supplement from the Hoard, so I can get base stats from it).

I would like to know what are the official "rules" as far as XP / gold / (magic?)-item rewards, and things like that...

Coming from 4e mainly (played and DMed it 2 years, also played 3.5 and other games), the first level cap at only 300 XP but the next ones needing thrice as much XP (and the whole class features at level 2-3) really point toward a single session first level....
The (read on forums) lack of price for magic items seems to imply a lower number of them lying around as loot, but without the Hoard, I can't know how many items are assumed by design...

Were there DM guidelines in the last playtests ? Are there in the Hoard book ? Do we have previews of the DM book about those ? Anything ?

rlc
2014-08-20, 04:44 AM
The starter set adventure had quite a few magic items. I want to say 1 per character should probably be fine.

Yuki Akuma
2014-08-20, 05:37 AM
Uh. Go check the basic rules again. There's a DM supplement now.