PDA

View Full Version : Bullywug Playable Race (insert fruit name here)

rlc
2014-08-24, 10:58 PM
Bullywug
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1, and your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Age. Bullywugs mature at the same rate as humans but tend to not live beyond a half-century.
Alignment. While Bullywugs can be of any alignment, they tend toward chaotic.
Size. Bullywugs are about the same size as a dwarf but have a lighter build. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. Accustomed to swamplands and the night sky, you have superior vision in the dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Poison Spray. You know the Poison Spray cantrip. Dexterity is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
Standing Leap. Your long jump is up to 30 feet and your high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

Discussion: I'm not going to bother with more fluff because this is an already established race. The Bullywug in the 4th edition Monster Manual 2 wasn't very good and I don't expect the official one to be very good for this edition if it's ever released, either, but here's my take on it. Basically, the ability scores are the way they are because Dexterity makes the most sense for a frog and there was no +2 Dex +1 Str race yet. If anything, I'm a little worried that this might just be a little [I]too[/I[ strong as it is right now. I'm thinking of making it require double the normal amount of water per day, but that's an optional rule. So, thoughts on this race as a whole? Is it too strong? Does it not to be reigned in? Does it need a weakness, even though none of the current ones really have any? Should I reword the Standing Leap, instead of just be lazy and copy it word for word from the Bulette? Thanks in advance.

Inevitability
2014-08-25, 03:03 AM
Was going to mention that a creature's spellcasting ability probably couldn't be dexterity, but apparently it can. Huh.

Looks good enough to me. Nothing broken as far as I can see.

However, Hoard of the Dragon Queen (http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/HoardDragonQueen_Supplement1.pdf) has Bullywug stats, which are very different from yours. I'd at the least add Speak With Frogs And Toads to your race, but you could also change their racial boost to constitution or lower their speed and give them a swim speed. Don't know about the balance on that, though.

rlc
2014-08-25, 03:40 AM
i guess that's what i get for not shelling out the money for these books right away

Inevitability
2014-08-25, 07:09 AM
i guess that's what i get for not shelling out the money for these books right away

It is a free PDF.

rlc
2014-08-25, 10:55 AM
Yeah, the link you gave me was, but I didn't have that before you posted it.