PDA

View Full Version : Cudgel that never forgets Legacy Weapon

MaxMahem
2007-03-07, 10:29 PM
I'm running a the Shackled City campaign in which the Church of St. Cuthbert features prominently. One of my players is running a Cleric of St. Cuthbert (actualy a favored soul) and so I thought it would be cool if he came across the Cudgel that never forgets from Complete Divine. It's a rather powerful item, so I thought I would turn it into a legacy item to allow him to get access to it earlier. Here's what I came up with.

Cudgel that never forgets
Legacy Rituals
Retribution for the People: You must spend a week patrolling the streets of the most dangerous neighborhood in a large city. During this time you must seek to write all wrongs and enforce justice to the best of your ability. This task must be done alone, though you may accept help if you encounter serious trouble. Cost 2,500 gp. Feat Granted: Least Legacy (Cudgel that never forgets), 5-10th level abilities.
Retribution for the City: To perform the ritual you must seek out and purge a major criminal organization in a large city. Such as a thieves guild or a smuggling ring. You need not do this alone, but the power of that criminal organization must be utterly broken and destroyed. The criminal organization must have at least 50 members to qualify for this ritual (though you need not defeat them all). Cost 15,000 gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (Cudgel that never forgets), 10-16th level abilities.
Retribution for the Gods: To perform this ritual you must seek out and destroy a bastion of a Religion that opposes St. Cuthbert. This must be a large church or sect with at least a hundred followers (though you need not defeat them all). The church must be utterly broken and destroyed, including the destruction of there building and facilities. You may have help on this endeavor. Cost 50,000 gp. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy (Cudgel that never forgets), 17-20th level abilities.

-- rituals are pretty vague here as they are intended to be adapted to specific events in my campaign. --

Wielder Requirements
Ability to Cast 2nd Level Divine Spells
Follower of St. Cuthbert
Any Lawful Alignment

Level HP Spell Abilities
5th ― ― +1 Axiomatic (Lesser) Bronzewood Club
6th ― 1st Eye of St. Cuthbert
7th ― ― Heal the Worthy 3/Day
8th 2 2nd +1 Axiomatic Bronzewood Club
9th ― ― ―
10th ― 3rd Awaken Intelligence
11th ― ― Retributive Damage, Lesser
12th 4 4th +2 Axiomatic Bronzewood Club
13th ― ― Retributive Damage, Greater
14th ― 5th ―
15th ― ― +3 Axiomatic Bronzewood Club
16th 6 6th Heal the Most Worthy 3/Day
17th ― ― +4 Axiomatic Bronzewood Club
18th ― 7th Fist of St. Cuthbert 1/day
19th ― ― ―
20th 8 8th +5 Axiomatic Bronzewood ClubLegacy Item Abilities
Eye of St. Cuthbert (Su): At 6th level, the Cudgel that never forgets grants you the effects of Deathwatch continuously
Heal the Worthy (Su): At 7th level, three times per day on command you can cast cure moderate wounds as the spell. The spell functions as if cast by a cleric of your level.
Awaken Intelligence (Su): At 10th level, immediately after completing the lesser legacy ritual, you awaken the intelligence dormant inside the Cudgel that never forgets. The Cudgel that never forgets seeks to enforce the laws of St. Cuthbert and to exact retribution on those that transgress them. However, it seldom speaks except during combat where it provokes its wielder to seek retribution on foes for the sins that they have committed. This counts as an demoralize attempt. As an intelligent item the Cudgel that never forgets has access to all of it's abilities and can use them if it sees fit on your turn.
AL LN; Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 16; speak common, celestial, infernal, abyssal; 60ft darkvision and hearing; Ego score 16; 10 Ranks intimidate (+13 modifier)
Retributive Damage, Lesser (Su): At 11th level the Cudgel that never forgets begins to deal retributive damage to foes that have injured you. Against such foes it's bonus increase by +1 and it deals an extra 1d6 damage. This effect is similar to a lesser bane enhancement.
Retributive Damage, Greater (Su): At 13th level the Cudgel that never forgets ability to deal retributive damage increases. Against foes that have damaged you it's bonus increase by +2 and it deals an extra 2d6 damage. This effect is similar to the bane enhancement, and is equivalent to a +1 bonus.
Heal the Most Worthy (Su): At 16th level, three times per day on command you can cast cure critical wounds as the spell. The spell functions as if cast by a cleric of your level. This replaces the Heal the Worthy ability gained at 7th level.
Fist of St. Cuthbert (Su): At 18th level, once per day on command you can use Bigby's Clenched Fist as the spell. The spell functions as if cast by a cleric of your level.

-- On the whole I feel that is slightly more powerful then you're average legacy weapon (I violated the weapon creation rules significantly), but about on par with the original cudgel, at least at level 13 (where they are pretty equivalent in abilities). The ritual cost is significantly more for my item as well. The only thing I really wanted but couldn't find was a great capstone 20th level ability. Something that screams "retribution." Although the bigby's fist at level 18 is pretty close.

Comments and criticism appreciated. You can find a more detailed PDF write up here (http://myweb.cableone.net/maxmahem/content/cudgel.pdf)

Harkone
2007-03-08, 01:45 AM
I actually love the idea of legacy weapons. I too like to give out one really great magical weapon relatively early on in the campaign, and have that weapon improve over time (rather than hand out new and improved wepons). I think the the single, powerful, improving weapon is much more in the heroic tradition than the idea of continually giving out more and better magical weapons as the PC's advance in level.

So, in short, I liked it.

knightsaline
2007-03-08, 08:02 PM
[nitpick] if a divine caster casts any of the bigbys spells and worships a god, the spell tends to be called (diety)'s whatever hand

MaxMahem
2007-03-08, 08:49 PM
[nitpick] if a divine caster casts any of the bigbys spells and worships a god, the spell tends to be called (diety)'s whatever hand

Hmm?? That's why I called the ability "Fist of St. Cuthburt," in the formal write-up it's in italics and everything like all the other spell/spell ability names but I couldn't preserve that effect within the code block.

Matthew
2007-03-08, 08:55 PM
Seems good. A flavourful weapon adapted for your campaign. It might be a little over simple to work the rituals into the plot too closely, though. In some ways these should be exceptional tasks, rather than byproducts of adventuring.