PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Champion [PEACH]

Jormengand
2014-08-31, 10:17 AM
This is not really meant to be a serious, balanced class as much as an attempt to make a T2+ mundane class. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369322-T2-Mundane-Class-What-would-it-take)

The Champion
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Skill/Attack Bonus
Save Bonus
AC bonus
Damage Bonus
DR/- and energy resistance
1st+1+2+2+2Sneak Attack 1d6, Universal Training, Flurry of Blows, Reality Check, Animal Companion, Fast Movement +10ft, Rage 1/day, Slow Fall 40 ft
+1
+1
+1
+2
2nd+2+3+3+3Uncanny Dodge, Patch Wounds, Combat Style, Challenge, Alpha Strike, Evasion
+1
+1
+2
+4
3rd+3+3+3+3Night Vision, Repair, Snare, Enchanting Voice 1, Reach +5 ft, Sneak Attack 2d6
+2
+1
+2
+6
4th+4+4+4+4Dire Charge, Throw Voice, Defender, Fast Movement +20ft, Rage 2/day, Slow Fall 80 ft
+2
+2
+3
+8
5th+5+4+4+4Enchanting Voice 2, Sneak Attack 3d6, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Fearless Inspiration, Mount
+3
+2
+4
+10
6th+6/+1+5+5+5Improved Combat Style, Death Attack, Pinning Strike, Acrobatic Charge
+3
+2
+4
+12
7th+7/+2+5+5+5Doom -2, Enchanting Voice 3, Boundless Knowledge, Perfect Health, Sneak Attack 4d6
+4
+3
+5
+14
8th+8/+3+6+6+6Impromptu sneak attack, Resolute Shout, Fast Movement +30ft, Rage 3/day, Slow Fall 120 ft
+4
+3
+6
+16
9th+9/+4+6+6+6Break Anything, Perfect Reaction, Enchanting Voice 4, Reach +10 ft, Sneak Attack 5d6
+5
+3
+6
+18
10th+10/+5+7+7+7Doom -4, Rogue Special Abilities, Hide in Plain Sight, Interrupt
+5
+4
+7
+20
11th+11/+6/+1+7+7+7Enchanting Voice 5, Greater Rage, Reality Ensues, Combat Style Mastery, Sneak Attack 6d6
+6
+4
+8
+22
12th+12/+7/+2+8+8+8Fast Movement +40ft, Rage 4/day, Slow Fall 160 ft, Sound Shadows
+6
+4
+8
+24
13th+13/+8/+3+8+8+8Doom -6, Sneak Attack 7d6
+7
+5
+9
+26
14th+14/+9/+4+9+9+9Instant Recognition, Walk Between Worlds
+7
+5
+10
+28
15th+15/+10/+5+9+9+9Reach +15 ft, Sneak Attack 8d6
+8
+5
+10
+30
16th+16/+11/+6/+1+10+10+10Doom -8, Fast Movement +50ft, Rage 5/day, Slow Fall 200 ft
+8
+6
+11
+32
17th+17/+12/+7/+2+10+10+10Tireless Rage, Sneak Attack 9d6
+9
+6
+12
+34
18th+18/+13/+8/+3+11+11+11It Will Not Die
+9
+6
+12
+36
19th+19/+14/+9/+4+11+11+11Doom -10, Sneak Attack 10d6
+10
+7
+13
+38
20th+20/+15/+10/+5+12+12+12Mighty Rage, Blinding Speed, Fast Movement +60ft, Rage 6/day, Slow Fall Any Distance
+10
+7
+14
+40

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d12
Starting age: As barbarian
Starting wealth: As barbarian

Class Skills:
All skills except for Truespeak (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha) and Use Psionic Device (Cha) are class skills of the champion.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (10 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 10 + Int modifier

Class features
All of the following are class features of the champion.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
The champion is proficient in all types of weapons, armour and shields.

Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
These work exactly as the rogue class features of the same name, except that the champion can sneak attack targets beyond 30 feet.

Universal Training (Ex)
The champion is treated as having trained all skills except for Truespeak, Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device.

Flurry of Blows (Ex)
This works as the monk ability of the same name, except that it works with any weapon and there is no penalty.

Reality Check (Ex)
The champion is firmly grounded in reality, which makes it difficult to cast spells near him. If the champion wishes, a spellcaster who casts a spell within 60 ft of the champion, or targets a creature in that location, must take a caster level check, DC 10+the champion's level, or the spell is ineffective.

Animal Companion (Ex)
The champion has a faithful animal companion similar to the druid's, though he cannot share spells with it. To gain a new animal companion or replace an old one, the champion must spend 24 hours searching for an appropriate animal, instead of praying.

Fast movement, Rage, Greater Rage, Tireless Rage, Mighty Rage (Ex)
These class features work exactly as the barbarian class features of the same name.

Slow Fall (Ex)
This class feature works exactly as the monk class feature of the same name.

Inspire (Ex)
The champion grants bonuses, as shown on Table: The Champion, to all allies within 60 feet (including himself), as he inspires them simply by his presence. They gain morale bonuses to their skills, attack rolls, and special attacks (such as grapples) equal to half the Champion's level, to their saves equal to one third his level, to their AC equal to two thirds his level, and damage rolls equal to twice his level, rounding up if applicable.

This ability only functions if the champion is conscious, not if he is unconscious or dead.

Damage Reduction and Energy Resistance (Ex)

The champion's body is toughened by years of fighting. He has DR/- and resistance to each type of energy equal to the value given on Table: The Champion - three quarters of his level, rounding up.

Patch Wounds (Ex)
As a full-round action which provokes attacks of opportunity, the champion may heal any living creature by a number of hit points equal to his level.

Combat Style, Improved Combat Style, Combat Style Mastery (Ex)
These class features work just like the ranger class features of the same name, except that they work regardless of what type of armour the champion wears, and the champion need not choose a combat style - he benefits from both combat styles.

Challenge (Ex)
From second level, the champion may challenge a foe within 60 feet as a swift action. That foe may only attack the champion; if they use an area of effect spell, or one with multiple targets, the champion must be in the area or one of the targets.

The champion may only challenge one foe at once, and the challenge ends if he attacks anyone other than the challenged creature or challenges a different creature.

Alpha Strike (Ex)
From second level, the champion always goes first in the initiative order. If there are multiple champions in one combat, they roll initiative to see which of them goes first, but all of them go before anyone else.

Also, the champion can always act in the surprise round.

Night Vision (Ex)
From third level, the champion gains the effects of darkvision, due to his impressive ability to see in the dark.

Repair (Ex)
From third level, the champion can use patch wounds on objects and constructs, and remove the broken condition from objects.

Enchanting Voice 1 (Ex)
From third level, the champion can make a suggestion, which works similarly to the spell suggestion except that it only lasts for 10 minutes or until completed. The save DC is 10+1/2 the champion's level+the champion's charisma modifier.

Reach (Ex)
At third level, and every sixth level thereafter, the champion increases his reach by five feet.

Snare (Ex)
From third level, the champion can set a snare, like that in the snare spell, but doing so takes 30 minutes and the snare is nonmagical.

Dire Charge (Ex)
From fourth level, when the champion charges, he may make a full attack instead of just one attack.

Throw Voice (Ex)
From fourth level, the champion can throw his voice, shouting loudly and using objects which his voice can echo off to convey a message over long distances. The champion can throw his voice up to one mile per level, but doing so is incredibly strenuous, to the point where every word takes a full-round action to shout. All creatures within 60 feet of the champion, and within 60 feet of the target, can hear the champion's voice. The champion cannot throw his voice to someone if either of them is in an entirely enclosed space - while he need not have line of effect due to his use of echoes, there needs to be some path by which his voice can reach the target, even if that path isn't a straight line.

Defender (Ex)

From fourth level, whenever a creature within the champion's reach (or the champion himself) is attacked with any attack, spell, or other effect that requires an attack roll, the champion may try to deflect the attack. The champion makes an attack roll. If the result is higher than the result of the original attack roll, the attack is deflected, and has no effect.

Enchanting Voice 2 (Ex)

At fifth level, the champion gains an ability similar to a charm person spell, only the creature is instead treated as fanatical for the duration

Fearless Inspiration (Ex)
From fifth level, all creatures under the effect of the champion's inspiration are immune to fear effects.

Mount (Ex)
At fifth level, the champion gains the service of a special mount, a little like the paladin's. However, this mount is a giant eagle, only it is an animal, not a magical beast, and so has an INT of 2. It does not have an empathic link with the champion, nor can he share spells with it, and it cannot command other animals, nor does its intelligence ever increase. However, it has the Link ability of a druid's animal companion, and its spell resistance is 11 plus the champion's level.

It advances in hit dice and gains extra strength and natural armour in the normal fashion. It does not come from the celestial realm, and can instead be called upon by the champion for an unlimited time. When it is not needed by the champion, it retreats to a safe location and rests if possible. It returns when the champion next needs it.

If the creature dies, it does not disappear, the champion does not take a penalty on attack and damage rolls, nor does it take him 30 days to gain a new one - when he next rests for eight or more hours, a new giant eagle will be beside him when he next wakes. He may also choose to dismiss his current giant eagle at any time, in which case he will gain a new one after resting in the same way.

If the champion is large or larger, the giant eagle increases in size to be large enough to carry him. The exception is temporary size increases, such as Enlarge Person, which do not increase the eagle's size.

Death Attack (Ex)
This works much as the assassin's death attack, save that the champion need not study the target before making the death attack, but making it is a standard action and cannot be part of a full attack action.

Pinning Strike (Ex)
Once per creature per round, when the champion hits with an attack, he may make a grapple check against the struck creature. If he passes, the creature is considered grappled and pinned, even though no-one is grappling or pinning it. The creature uses your original check if they wish to escape the pin.

Acrobatic Charge (Ex)
This works exactly as the duellist ability of the same name.

Doom (Ex)

From seventh level, and every third level thereafter, enemies within 60 feet of the champion take a -2 morale penalty to attack and damage rolls.

Enchanting Voice 3 (Ex)
From seventh level, the champion can make a creature feel compelled to follow a specific course of action. This works much like a lesser geas spell, though it doesn't cause ability score penalties and only lasts a single day. The save DC is 10+1/2 the champion's level+the champion's charisma modifier.

Boundless Knowledge (Ex)
From seventh level, the champion performs extensive research on anything and everything. The champion can perform knowledge checks even on subjects that the champion has no obvious way of knowing - for example, he could perform a knowledge check to find out where the ambassador is, or who killed the king, even though those would normally be beyond the scope of knowledge checks. The DC of such a check is usually between 20 and 50.

Perfect Health (Ex)
From seventh level, the champion is immune to the effects of poison and disease.

Impromptu Sneak Attack (Ex)
This works as the arcane trickster ability of the same name, but can be used once per round.

Resolute Shout (Ex)
From eighth level, the champion can let loose a mighty shout. When he does so, all enemies within 60 feet must take a fortitude save or be dazed for one round.

Break Anything (Ex)

From ninth level, the champion ignores hardness and DR with his attacks, and can destroy artefacts or kill usually-immortal creatures. His sneak attack works even on creatures without discernable anatomies.

Perfect reaction (Ex)
From ninth level, the champion can make an attack or a five-foot step as an immediate action. If he makes a five-foot step, he can dodge a single attack in this manner - this might also allow him to dodge an area-of-effect spell, or a falling object. His attacks can interrupt spells just as a normal spell might, or destroy potions in the same manner as an attack of opportunity.

Enchanting Voice 4 (Ex)

From ninth level, the champion can use his enticing commands to replicate the effects of a dominate person spell, but there is no telepathic link, so he must communicate each command verbally or using signs, meaning that he is limited to the same commands as he might be had he cast the spell. He cannot receive sensory input from the subject, and the effect only lasts 30 minutes. The save DC is 10, plus half the champion's level, plus the champion's charisma modifier.

Rogue special abilities (Ex)
The champion gains all of the rogue's special abilities, but he can use defensive roll on any attack, and as many times as he likes per day, and skill mastery applies to all skills.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex)
This functions as the assassin ability of the same name, but no shadow is needed to hide without anything to hide behind.

Interrupt (Ex)
When the champion hits a creature who is casting a spell, the DC of the concentration check to avoid losing the spell is 10 higher.

Enchanting Voice 5 (Ex)
At eleventh level, the champion gains an ability similar to the quest spell, though it causes no damage and lasts only a single day.

Reality Ensues (Ex)
From eleventh level, the champion can prevent a spellcaster from casting spells at all. If he is the target of a spell, he may choose whether or not it affects him. As a standard action, he may assert reality, ending a single spell effect.

Sound Shadows (Ex)
From twelfth level, the champion learns to find the location of a creature he can't see or hear directly. He gains blindsight out to 30 feet.

Infinite Opportunity (Ex)
From thirteenth level, the champion can make as many attacks of opportunity as he wishes each round. He may even make an attack of opportunity each time an enemy moves out of his threatened square even as part of the same move action.

Instant Recogntion (Ex)
At fourteenth level, the champion learns to recognise both the things of this world, and the things not of this world. He automatically discerns the function of any magical item just by looking at it, as well as how to activate that function, and can also determine any magical effects on a creature or object in the same way.

Walk Between Worlds (Ex)
At fourteenth level, the champion learns to find natural rifts between planes, allowing him to walk between them without having to use magic. This is functionally equivalent to a plane shift spell, but it takes 1d6 minutes to find a suitable rift.

It Will Not Die (Ex)
At eighteenth level, the champion's wounds heal freakishly fast, as do those of his companions. He gains fast healing 10, and his animal companion and giant eagle mount gain fast healing 1.

Also, if the champion would die, he stays alive for a single round, after which he dies normally.

Blinding Speed (Ex)
At twentieth level, the champion moves fully twice as fast as a normal person. On his turn, he may take two standard, two move and two swift actions, allowing him to take up to two immediate actions between rounds, and up to two full-round actions. Any effect which would affect him for a number of rounds affects him for half as many rounds, minimum one.

Okay, so let's test it against the challenges that JaronK sets us for the tier system:

Situation 1: A Black Dragon has been plaguing an area, and he lives in a trap filled cave. Deal with him.

Situation 2: You have been tasked by a nearby country with making contact with the leader of the underground slave resistance of an evil tyranical city state, and get him to trust you.

Situation 3: A huge army of Orcs is approaching the city, and should be here in a week or so. Help the city prepare for war.

Situation 1: The traps should be no problem, given that I give myself a bonus to tons of skills, and from tenth level I can start taking 10. Or, you know, I could just fly over them on a giant eagle. Or keep on sending bears into the cave to set off all the traps. Or just heal myself/the bear/the eagle every time a trap goes off. Whatever works.

Actually fighting the dragon should be easy enough, seeing as I can rage, ignore half his spells, and get stoopidhuge bonuses to everything.

Situation 2: Take knowledge checks to know who's part of the resistance, and Enchanting Voice, or just diplomacy, to make everyone love me.

Situation 3: I can't help much with preparing, in all fairness, although I can set a metric boopton of traps and turn everyone fanatical, or go around assassinating people. When I get into combat, though, I can stop anyone attacking people in my reach, so just have all the casters in a block around me. Also, all allies in 60 feet are suddenly really OP - say I'm sixth level, that still means an entire block of archers gets +3 to attack rolls, +4 to AC and +12 to damage rolls. From eighth level, I can daze all my enemies every round. Oh, yeah, and I'm shutting down all the nearby enemy casters, too. Of course, if I'm high enough level, I can just herohammer it up and charge into combat alone, because no spell can affect me without my say-so, and I can deflect any attack if my attack roll is better (and with a +10 bonus, it almost certainly is).

So, yeah. What d'ya think?