PDA

View Full Version : Urban Monk, switching Wisdom with Intelligence.

HorridElemental
2014-08-31, 03:06 PM
So I'm wondering what, if any, problems could arise from replacing everything with the Monk's class features that calls for Wisdom with Intelligence.

In 3.P I can see small issues with this but not souch in 5e.

Am I missing anything that could be a problem?

Thanks!

Envyus
2014-08-31, 03:27 PM
Wisdom would still make more sense. Wisdom covers common sense and stuff.

rlc
2014-08-31, 04:15 PM
well, they went with wisdom for a reason, but if you're going to replace everything, rather than just pick and choose, then it should be fine mechanically.

Shadow
2014-08-31, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.
I could see an argument for letting Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights use Cha, but not any other changes to the regular ability uses for classes.

The only thing that Int is good for in this game is some knowledge checks and wizard casting. Wisdom is far, far more useful for almost (or maybe literally) everyone else. So my first instinct is that they want to make a more melee capable wizard, with a better AC, but without the MAD. So I'd just make them deal with the MAD.
The multiclass requirements exist to help balance. I was disappointed when they removed them from 3.x, and I'm happy that they're back.

pwykersotz
2014-08-31, 04:48 PM
So I'm wondering what, if any, problems could arise from replacing everything with the Monk's class features that calls for Wisdom with Intelligence.

In 3.P I can see small issues with this but not souch in 5e.

Am I missing anything that could be a problem?

Thanks!

I don't think you're missing anything, no. A little refluffing might be in order, but I don't think it would be imbalanced.

zephirum
2014-08-31, 06:17 PM
Wisdom is all around a better stat then int so no it wouldn't be a problem, it would give you better knowledge and investigation checks at the cost of intuition and perception, monks get prof in all saves anyway so that doesn't matter.

Shadow
2014-08-31, 06:32 PM
monks get prof in all saves anyway so that doesn't matter.

Nope. Str & Dex

Soras Teva Gee
2014-08-31, 06:44 PM
Well they do... with Diamond Soul. Great ability but rather late in the game for people to not include that context and blankly claim they do.

I'm still curious as to why swap at all unless its to SAD a Monk/Wizard concept.

Human Paragon 3
2014-08-31, 06:45 PM
The only mechanical advantages I can see to shifting from wis to int are:

1) Better synergy with int-based skills (investigation, arcana, history), so if you were going in that direction, it would be a slightly more powerful choice.

2) Better if you intend to multi-class into int-based caster classes like wizard, eldritch knight, or arcane trickster.

In all other respects, a high wis is better, since wis saves are made more frequently and perception is a top-tier skill.

HorridElemental
2014-08-31, 06:56 PM
I don't think you're missing anything, no. A little refluffing might be in order, but I don't think it would be imbalanced.

Oh yeah it would be a huge refluffing but then again all the mental scores somewhat overlapping to begin with. Won't all be that hard to refluffthis.

But I like the idea of a martial artist/fighter/hero that relies on brains (intelligence) instead of the stereotypical wisdom or charisma and yet still doesn't casts spells or whatever.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-08-31, 07:15 PM
Oh yeah it would be a huge refluffing but then again all the mental scores somewhat overlapping to begin with. Won't all be that hard to refluffthis.

But I like the idea of a martial artist/fighter/hero that relies on brains (intelligence) instead of the stereotypical wisdom or charisma and yet still doesn't casts spells or whatever.

While I know this to be somewhat just me I always consider Int and our concept of "intelligence" to be almost two separate entities. The Int stat representing less things like how 'smart' you are (because that's a bogus concept nobody can define well they all just assume they know) but more mechanical applied things like being able to do math in your head or recall trivia.

Someone like Einstein probably had a higher Wis/Cha for insight/analysis (Wis) and inspiration/creativity (Cha) to come up with a mind bending concept like relativity. That Wizard with 20 Int... that hypothetical guy that can beat Watson on Jeopardy.

Given without a computer all those more computer like features are pretty important when you can't just tab open wikipedia or pull out a calculator.

Still you want to say pull that whole Sherlock's Fight Analysis thing from Downey Jr's two movies I guess Int might be a little better for that. Probably go well with something like the more awkward looking but secretly efficient Chinese ones.

Zweisteine
2014-08-31, 07:56 PM
My 2 cp:

It wouldn't be mechanically bad for the class, really, but it wouldn't make any sense.

The class is wisdom-based because it is focused on mental strength, which stems from wisdom. An intelligence-based monk doesn't make nearly as much sense fluff-wise.