PDA

View Full Version : For Firefly fans: What's your favorite episode?

Sereno
2007-03-08, 03:42 PM
OK, judging from several other threads, Firefly is pretty popular with GitP posters.

So, what's your favorite episode and why?

Mine's "Out of Gas" -- I think that episode was exceptionally well written and shot ... the juxtaposition between the different time periods, the different "levels" of flashbacks, was very clever, IMO. Also, it was just a really great story.

I also found it quite touching that someone "stole" the big red recall button on the last day of shooting for Joss to keep on his desk because he knew he wasn't *done* with the Firefly 'Verse!

The Great Skenardo
2007-03-08, 03:48 PM
I enjoyed the last episode with Early. Some of the lines in that episode are classic, in context.

"Well...here I am."

Or
*crazy girl giggling over the ship's intercom*
"Now that's a mite unsettling..."

Eldpollard
2007-03-08, 03:51 PM
well our mrs reynolds is one of my favourites. just comedic value alone.

Jack Squat
2007-03-08, 03:56 PM
Our Mrs. Reynolds or Ariel are among my favorites, but it's close between all of them

Joran
2007-03-08, 03:58 PM
My favorites are War Stories and Trash. If I had to pick one, War Stories would be my favorite.

Lots of classics there.

Zoë: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Zoë: This is something the Captain has to do for himself.
Mal: No! No, it's not!
Zoë: Oh.

Midnight Son
2007-03-08, 03:59 PM
You want me to pick a favorite? It's like picking your favorite sunset (to borrow a term). I will say that I thought "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Jaynestown" were the funniest. "The Message" was the saddest, especially considering the timing. The best though? I can tell you that the worst was "Shindig"

Jack Squat
2007-03-08, 04:10 PM
I can tell you that the worst was "Shindig"

I'll agree here. Shindig was the worst, but in no respect did I think it was bad.

Roethke
2007-03-08, 04:14 PM
But I love ALL my children! :)

Seriously though, they're different enough that it makes it hard to choose. If forced (as in "Choose or be stuffed into an engine" forced), I'd probably come back with Objects in Space.

The opening sequence is one of my favorite scenes from the entire show, the Early character is awesomely creepy-- very rarely has someone so convincingly 'not quite right', and the way you (and the crew) are jerked around with the River/Ship thing makes a great ending.

Ariel takes a close second. It doesn't really outshine the others in any particular, but it manages to tie many of the subplots together perfectly (Jayne vs. River & Jayne vs. Mal, The Blue Hands & River's past), develop Simon's character, all in the midst of a great heist story, that it's really tight job.

I had just seen the Cowboy Bebop that was very similar to Out of Gas, before watching it, though that method of storytelling does do well for raising tension. Not to mention how they worked that malfunctioning part into the other episodes.

It's been mentioned that Our Mrs. Reynolds is the best introduction to the series. I loved it, except that the giant space bug-zapper was a bit much for me. I couldn't stop myself trying to figure out the economics of their operation, and thinking there must be an easier way, but I think that's just me.

If you've seen a few episodes, Jaynestown is hilarious. Ah, memories.

Timberwolf
2007-03-08, 04:16 PM
Yep, with you on that, Shindig was the worst.

I like the ones where River gets to shine because she's so unpredicatable. Anyway, I like War Stories and the one with Dubal Early in. River is as unsettling as all heck until you find out what she's actually doing.

Midnight Son
2007-03-08, 05:07 PM
I'll agree here. Shindig was the worst, but in no respect did I think it was bad.
"I got stabbed, you know. Right here"

Definitely watchable.

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-08, 05:10 PM
Gotta disagree there, I really like Shindig. If there's one I gotta pick for least favorite, it's either Bushwhacked or... what was the one with Jayne's tuke called?

As for favorites, I must say either the pilot, Trash, or War Stories. The latter two just for the comedy gold alone :)

AmoDman
2007-03-08, 05:15 PM
He robbed from the rich and he gave to the poor,
Stood up to The Man and gave him what for,
Our love for him now ain't hard to explain,
The Hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!

ElfLad
2007-03-08, 05:18 PM
If by "Shindig," you mean "Heart of Gold," than yeah, that was the worst.

Trash and Ariel are my personal favorites, as I'm a big fan of "heist" stories.

And Our Mrs. Reynolds and Jaynestown and War Stories and Out of Gas, and Objects in Space and - oh, God, I can't choose!

smellie_hippie
2007-03-08, 06:58 PM
Out of Gas. Gotta be my favorite episode. :smallamused:

Worst Episode? Fox didn't give me any more episodes to make that kind of call... :smallfurious:

Jack Squat
2007-03-08, 07:24 PM
If by "Shindig," you mean "Heart of Gold," than yeah, that was the worst.

No, it proabably would be but Heart of Gold was the first one I watched; so it holds that special place.

Stormcrow
2007-03-08, 07:33 PM
I liked Jaynestown and Heart of Gold.

Mr._Blinky
2007-03-08, 07:41 PM
Favorite? No idea, they're all pretty good.

Least favorite? It was by no means bad, but I just wasn't too impressed with Objects in Space. Partially I think because I kept looking at his gun and going, "No way does a gun that size have more than two bullets in it." Seriously, it was freakin' tiny! Even beyond that, I just didn't think it was quite up to the standards of the other episodes. I wasn't too impressed with Heart of Gold either though, but I found Jayne's "I'm in." line pretty funny. Again though, both episodes were still miles ahead of the best episodes in most series, so it's all good.

Ruik
2007-03-08, 07:53 PM
Personally i've always been a big fan of Ariel - its not the best, but it was well done - but I like so many of them for different reasons :smallsigh:

I give up, its too hard to pick :smallsmile:

LotharBot
2007-03-08, 08:01 PM
In order, best to worst:

Ariel - worked in every single subplot, plus it was clever
Safe - I just liked the weird witch-burning subplot
Objects in Space - Early was a great bad guy.
Serenity (movie) - heck yeah, it was awesome
The Message - nicely emotional, but didn't grab me like some others
Serenity (pilot episode) - great action
Jaynestown - hilarious
Shindig - also pretty funny
Train Job - great heist
Out of Gas - I liked the way Jayne joined the crew.
War Stories - didn't much like the torture aspect
Trash - I really didn't like Saffron...
Heart of Gold - mostly stupid, but at least it had a good long fight
Our Mrs. Reynolds - ok, so I hated Saffron...
Bushwhacked - not much redeeming about this episode

Every other episode of almost every other TV show ever - cuz that's just how good Firefly is.

Fat Daddy
2007-03-08, 08:15 PM
I can't choose a favorite. There are great scenes and great quotes in every. single. episode. If I had to pick a least favorite it would be Heart of Gold but it was still pretty good.

ray53208
2007-03-08, 08:22 PM
i dont have a favorite. i dont have a worst. i love them all. as far as the movie is concerned: i just wish joss'd left in all those deleted scenes. i still love the movie, but idve loved it more with those scenes intact.

i suppose, if pressed, on any given day, depending on my mood at the moment, i might offer up any episode as a favorite.

Eldan
2007-03-08, 08:37 PM
Hmm.
My favourite. Our Mrs. Reynolds. Both trash and Jaynestown close seconds. I still have that song going in the background sometimes.
Worst episodes... Probably the Pilot, Serenity. I bought the DVD because someone told me it was the best series ever. But the pilot alone didn't convince me.

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-08, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah, "Safe" was also a little weaker than most others. Though the "Big Dan Heroes" line was pretty amusing :)

Mr._Blinky
2007-03-08, 10:23 PM
Why do so many people dislike Bushwacked? I loved that episode, it was creepy as hell. :smallfrown:

Wippit Guud
2007-03-09, 01:01 AM
War Stories was probably my favorite episode.

Although, I have to give a nod to the movie just for doing a one-take shot walking through the ship from front-to-back... just to prove they built Serenity as one complete set. Suck it, Enterprise!

Angela
2007-03-09, 01:33 AM
Tie between Objects in Space and Out of Gas...

averagejoe
2007-03-09, 01:57 AM
I loved all of them. Well, the train job annoyed me somewhat, but that was mostly the whole, "we have to introduce the show because Fox isn't letting us show episode one first," thing going on, and there just wasn't a lot to it. There are a few, however, that I think are worth mentioning, even though none are really my favorite.

Safe-alright, I admit it, I'm into that mushy brother-sister stuff (Simon is probably the character I can most identify with, in many ways.) Plus I liked the unneccesarily dramatic heroics at the end. "That woman is a witch!" "Yeah, but she's OUR witch. So cut her the hell down." (And the funny part right before that.) I also liked the bit where we see River dance. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose a favorite episode, I would probably pick this one.

Objects in space-for the reasons everyone has been saying.

Shindig-Not a lot to it plotwise, but it was fun, and I laughed most of the way through it. I thought this was one of the best written episodes, but that's just me.

Jaynestown-Duh.

Deleran
2007-03-09, 03:06 AM
I really like "The Train Job." I thought it was much better than the real pilot in terms of introducing the characters and the set-up.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-09, 03:17 AM
It's like choosing which of your children you love most...

Okay, not quite. I can say Trash is probably the best overall; a heist episode, Mal/Inara (as much as they do), "I can kill you with my brain", Saffron, etc. War Stories' torture scene, and the attack on the station, are two of the best moments in the series. Ariel is awesome just because of the sheer Simon=Danny Ocean coolness of it. Objects in Space...well, Early. Come on. Out of Gas for the overall writing and cinema, and Kaylee's flashback. I liked Shindig personally, better than I liked Safe or Heart of Gold.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-09, 06:46 AM
I would have to say, despite what people will say, that it is a toss-up between "Shindig" and "Out of Gas".

Some other episodes would rank higher if Simon didn't irritate me quite so much. I mean, I just think he needs taking down a peg or two.

Jerthanis
2007-03-09, 06:53 AM
My favorite is Out of Gas, by a million leagues. It contained some of the most poignant characterization in the entire series, with some of the best storytelling. Then Heart of Gold (come on! Defending a whorehouse is like, staple western anti-hero heroics!) and the Message tying for a distant second tier, then Trash and Ariel tying for a close third tier, as they're both heist type and both excellent. Also, Saffron with depth instead of just sex appeal=win.

I don't understand the charm of Objects in Space. Early just annoyed me and I've never understood how people like it except in the fact that it was such a bad episode to end with to try to say how Firefly deserved more. It was an unsatisfying episode that capped an unsatisfying early cancellation. I'd certainly put it last, and Bushwacked right next to it... then we start getting into the ones that get into a 7 way tie for my fourth favorite.

Dispozition
2007-03-09, 09:23 AM
I can't see how people are saying Shindig was the worst episode...It was my favourite, along with Serenity pt. 1 and 2...

My least favourite has to be Bushwhacked...I just don't like it...

MrsbwcMD
2007-03-09, 10:08 AM
My favorite is "Out of Gas." I like the flashbacks and how we find out how everyone joined the crew, especially Kaylee. I also liked the fact that Zoe didn't actually like Wash at first, and then, they end up married. I wanted more flashbacks like that, so I was sad to find out that there weren't any more episodes to see. I would have loved to find out how Wash got Zoe to fall in love with him!

ElfLad
2007-03-09, 11:26 AM
I would have loved to find out how Wash got Zoe to fall in love with him!

Duh. He shaved his mustache.

TinSoldier
2007-03-09, 12:19 PM
"War Stories" is my favorite, followed closely by "Out of Gas" and "Objects in Space" which tie for second.

For me, "War Stories" is all about the interaction and loyalties between Mal, Wash, and Zoe. Even while they're being tortured, they're arguing. And then Zoe comes in and does not hesitate one bit.

Least favorite: "Shindig", "Bushwhacked", or "Train Job". I'm not sure which, depends on my mood. I like them all though.

Holy_Knight
2007-03-09, 09:55 PM
Like everyone has said, it's really hard to choose. I'm surprised at people saying that Shindig was their least favorite--I've always thought it was one of the leading contenders for best one. I mean, the end of the duel alone is pure gold:

Mal: It takes a great man to stand over his beaten opponent and show him mercy.

*stab*

Atherton: Arrrrgh!!!

Mal: Me, I'm just a good man.

*stab*

Mal: Well, I'm all right.

I'd say it's a toss up between that one, Out of Gas, and Our Mrs. Reynolds. I guess since I have a quote from the latter as part of my sig, maybe I'll go with it.

ray53208
2007-03-10, 08:16 AM
Like everyone has said, it's really hard to choose. I'm surprised at people saying that Shindig was their least favorite--I've always thought it was one of the leading contenders for best one. I mean, the end of the duel alone is pure gold:

*stab*

*stab*

I'd say it's a toss up between that one, Out of Gas, and Our Mrs. Reynolds. I guess since I have a quote from the latter as part of my sig, maybe I'll go with it.

i love that scene. and mal gets the girl... kinda.

Trog
2007-03-10, 06:48 PM
Jaynestown. Gotta be. I just laughed out loud at so many parts of that. The sheer ridiculousness of the situation and especially Jayne's reaction to it all. The actor and writer did a jood job developing his character in the few episodes before that that you were able to appreciate the humor with very little (for a TV series) build up to create the character well enough to know that the situation was COMPLETELY against type. On top of that it creates a serious question in terms of plot that keeps you hooked to figure out exactly what happened that caused that whole situation. Absolutely Classic.

Tengu
2007-03-10, 09:28 PM
That's probably not very original, but my favorites are Jaynestown, Our Mrs. Reynolds and Ariel - probably in the mentioned order. Least favorite is Heart of Gold, without a doubt - apart from a few good moments it felt like a cheap drama/western/action movie, not Firefly at all. Wheddon must've had a bad day when he was making this one.
All the other episodes are first class though.

Dragonrider
2007-03-10, 10:10 PM
Umm, the parts that stick in my mind are mostly River's comments, eerie enough to be funny ("We'll freeze to death first"), but favorites: I really like "The Train Job" and "Trash". And "War Stories". And heck...I haven't seen one yet that I didn't like.

Dhavaer
2007-03-10, 10:34 PM
My favourite was War Stories. My least favourite? I loathed Out of Gas.

phoenixineohp
2007-03-10, 11:36 PM
I...I have to choose? *looks around nervously and hugs the dvd box*

Mattaeu
2007-03-11, 12:02 AM
*fixed*

Mercy is the mark of a great man.
*stab*
Guess I'm just a good man.
*stab*
Well, I'm alright.

also: V(in my sig...yes, I transcribed from the actual subtitles)

:smallsmile:

Twas my favorite line too.

That and

'Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!'

Ruik
2007-03-11, 01:59 AM
'Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!'Man, they had me at that line right there... and it only ever got better.

Ahh memories, there so much better when you can dig them out and put them in your DVD player from time to time :smallbiggrin:

ray53208
2007-03-11, 12:03 PM
"i only fell is all!" cracks me up every time.
"ill be in my bunk" is now a common phrase with my friends.

Lilly
2007-03-11, 12:26 PM
I like the entirety of disc two. Safe would have been my favorite episode on a disc, had it not been on this one. Shindig, Our Mrs. Reynolds, and Jaynestown are my three favourite episodes.

My least favourite... Bushwacked, Out of Gas, and Objects in Space. I'd never seen anything by Joss Whedon before, and Out of Gas made me think "this guy has no objection to killing off main characters" (was completly forgotten by the time I went to see Serenity)

((You guys should have seen the boards in August-October '05, it was seriously like Firefly land))

ray53208
2007-03-11, 12:38 PM
ooh ooh i wanna be a browncoat in the playground, too!!!!

Adlan
2007-03-11, 03:58 PM
heck yeah. What do we have to do to get that? How many people do you need killed?

Out of Gas rocks, but I think my favourite to watch multiple times is the first.

Maybe It's just I wish all the episodes were 2 hours.

Ted_Stryker
2007-03-11, 09:04 PM
Out of Gas is probably my favorite, followed closely by Ariel and War Stories. Both Saffron episodes, Shindig, and Jaynestown are all strong entries. The original pilot was a bit slow, but was still pretty good. My least favorite is probably The Train Job, although that one did help set up War Stories.

Andiamo
2007-03-11, 10:50 PM

*stab*

*stab*

That, and the bit after it.

"You didn't have to wound that man, you know."
"I know. It was just funny."

Gold.

Anyway, my favourite would probably be Out Of Gas... or Ariel... or Jaynestown... or Serenity... or the other Serenity... damn. Too difficult.

The J Pizzel
2007-03-12, 10:32 AM
Ok, my favorite is actually "The Message" (i think thats the one where they get thier old war buddy in the mail) because in a show that is usually full of humor, it could throw in the emotional episode and still be a wonderful production. Close seconds are Ariel and Trainjob.

Favorite line - Trainjob..."alright, this is the money Niska gave us"...

Greebo
2007-03-12, 12:32 PM
I don't think I can pick a favorite either...

SevenPinkerton
2007-03-14, 08:25 PM
The fact that everyone has different favorites and some favorites are others' worsts is just another reason why firefly is so wonderful. Every episode is great .

My favorites- Shindig, Jaynestown, Our Mrs. Reynolds, the Pilot
Worst- I didn't really like Objects in Space. I loved River's part, but I think I was discouraged because I knew it was the last episode and it just wasn't enough for me.

ray53208
2007-03-15, 02:01 AM
i love the extended footage of wash being questioned from the episode "bushwacked"...

"Have you ever been with a warrior woman?"

hobbitguy1420
2007-03-15, 02:29 AM
My favorite has to be Jaynestown. Incredibly humorous main plot with an awesome song (for which I'm ever tempted to put together an arrangement with full western/oriental accompaniment), some decent character development, *and* some great Riverisms!

"They say the snow on the roof is too heavy; they say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger!"

"Come out, River."
"Can't. Too much hair."

"He's putting the hair away now."
"Doesn't matter. It'll still be there. Watching."

ray53208
2007-03-15, 11:46 AM
My favorite has to be Jaynestown. Incredibly humorous main plot with an awesome song (for which I'm ever tempted to put together an arrangement with full western/oriental accompaniment), some decent character development, *and* some great Riverisms!

"They say the snow on the roof is too heavy; they say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger!"

"Come out, River."
"Can't. Too much hair."

"He's putting the hair away now."
"Doesn't matter. It'll still be there. Watching."

oh snap! as everyone knows: river read minds. the things she says have some kind of weird prophetic weight. is she trying to say that shepherd book is a deep cover operative? his personality and memories altered in order to spy on the tams? that deep in his subconcious his true persona lies in wait, watching?

some eastern cultures tie hair to karma. the weight of ones past is connected to the hair. iirc, thats part of why monks shave thier heads.

averagejoe
2007-03-15, 01:58 PM
Yeah, well, she's also the one who thought a gun was a stick. I'd give it fifty/fifty, at best. Don't get me wrong, I love the character, but everything she says doesn't mean something. I like the lines of hers that aren't necessarily meaningful, but still poetic in their way.

(Something along the lines of,) "They weren't cows before. They were trying to be, but they forgot. Then they saw the sky and remembered."

And also, "I tore these out of your symbol and they became paper."

ray53208
2007-03-15, 03:44 PM
yeah, but joe, it all makes a kind of sense.

the cattle were panicked in a strange artificial environment. their instincts couldnt fully apply to thier new surroundings. they forgot how to be cows. even mal said it made sense to him.

and as far as ripping pages out of book's bible, lets put the comment in context. she understood the the book isnt literal; its a symbol. she understood that if you try to take it literally (as she was attempting to do with her rambling about quantum phenomenon and noahs ark) its just pages in a book and it loses all meaning.

as for the gun, perhaps what she was seeing was that the gun itself wasnt a threat. the gun in the hands of a human is a threat. alone it might as well be a stick in a field of autumn leaves. she didnt panick until the other members of the crew confronted her.

averagejoe
2007-03-15, 05:18 PM
Well, yeah, but if you put it like that then you could justify her saying almost anything as a piece of hidden genius. I'm not saying that everything, or anything, she says means nothing, but I doubt a lot of it was ever meant to be anything other than what's on the surface. For example, on Our Mrs. Reynolds, Book warns Mal not to take sexual advantage of Yollanda (or whatever), or he was going to the special hell. Now, by special hell, Book obviously meant the sleep induced by the poison on her lips, the later riddicule by the rest of the crew, and the eventual death of them all as a direct consequence of his action. So, obviously Book knew she was a crazy ninja hooker. But, the thing is, I went out of my way to make that up in order to justify my prejudices that Book knows everything.

ray53208
2007-03-15, 06:56 PM
but joe, we arent talking about the psychic preacher on the run from an evil corporate state and was rescued by an ex-soldier. we are talking about a psychic girl. river, in point of fact. a girl who has demonstrated the ability to read thoughts and on more than one occasion muttered something cryptic that came to pass. PROBABLY BECAUSE IT WAS WRITTEN THAT WAY. so, the final arbiter on all this is the writer, we can only offer up theory and conjecture.

the word prejudice has some ugly associations, joe, but putting all that aside, it means to make a judgement prematurely. most often due to some pre-existing bias. most often used in the context of a kind of bigotry (but we were putting that aside).

what exactly do you think i am trying to justify? im simply pointing out the parts of the story that seem to (after considerable repeated viewing, analysis, and discussion; hence not exactly prejudicial) have a deeper meaning and connection.

book meant special hell: as in afterlife... because it fits into the context of who he is (or is appearing to be) and the situation, that is the most likely connotation. your argument seems not entirely as strong as it could be and honestly im not totally sure why you maintain your position, but im sure theres more to it than the surface of what you said.

i am of the opinion, after near constant observation of human nature over several decades (my own included), that everything said or done is connected to some motivating factor. example: sometimes we get angry when we feel challenged. its not necessarily about the other person. it might be about something in ourselves we have yet to come to terms with.

averagejoe
2007-03-15, 07:45 PM
I didn't mean what I said when I analyzed Book; I thought that was clear. The fact that it isn't true is the whole point to my argument. I suppose it wasn't as strong an argument as it could have been, but I was just taking the first line that came to mind; in either case it's beside the point.

What I thought you were trying to justify was the idea that River's crazy talk had a larger meaning in the context of the story. I'm also not quite sure of that one occasion you were talking about. The hands of blue thing?

I agree that all actions have motivating factors; they are actions, after all. I'm not really sure what that has to do with our discussion, though. Or why I needed prejudice defined. I do know perfectly well what it means, and was aware when I was using it.

TinSoldier
2007-03-15, 11:21 PM
The fact that everyone has different favorites and some favorites are others' worsts is just another reason why firefly is so wonderful. Every episode is great .

My favorites- Shindig, Jaynestown, Our Mrs. Reynolds, the Pilot
Worst- I didn't really like Objects in Space. I loved River's part, but I think I was discouraged because I knew it was the last episode and it just wasn't enough for me.Yes, every episode is great. Even if I have least favorites doesn't mean that I don't like those episodes.

I never watched the show before the theater-released movie, and then I rented and later bought the DVDs of the series. So that's why I liked Objects in Space -- it just fit in to the whole series perfectly and it melded into the movie just fine.

Just this last weekend I decided to watch "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Jaynestown". There are new nuances every time I watch Firefly. I love this series.

Dispozition
2007-03-16, 04:26 AM
I must say that 'Serenity pt. 1' was an awesome episode. Seriously...The opening scene with Wash is just priceless...I laughed so hard the first time I saw that.

ray53208
2007-03-16, 02:11 PM
hate for FOX rising... urge to riot increasing...

WHY GOD! WHY WAS IT CANCELLED!!!!!!!!!!!

Andiamo
2007-03-16, 06:14 PM
Because Fox cancels anything that doesn't get phenomenal ratings in its first season. :(

ray53208
2007-03-16, 06:58 PM
maybe they shouldve shown them in order and on time then. i swear, maybe im a bit paranoid, but it seems to me as if fox has an axe to grind and is taking something out on firefly. they sit on the rights and sue fans for making homages to the show.

Andiamo
2007-03-16, 09:57 PM
Well, it is not just Firefly, unfortunately. Futurama was canceled LONG (although not as long) before its time as well. I have never watched Arrested Development, but I've heard great things about it. It got canceled.

Hell, even FAMILY GUY, one of the most popular shows now, got canceled by Fox. Maybe its being brought back was just the first. Hopefully.

averagejoe
2007-03-16, 10:07 PM
Hell, even FAMILY GUY, one of the most popular shows now, got canceled by Fox. Maybe its being brought back was just the first. Hopefully.

Got canceled twice by Fox. And brought back twice. I mean, merits of the actual show aside, it's a good one to have if your network likes making money.

Webwalker
2007-03-17, 09:38 AM
Jaynestown. It showed that Jayne could be a heck of a lot deeper, if he let himself; he went from big dumb brute to big unthinking brute who's now actually trying to think. Big difference. After seeing that episode, I really wanted to see where Firefly took Jayne. All of the characters had "hidden" sides that were hinted at, but never really explored (Book in particular, but the rest to varying degrees), but they only had the chance to really give us a glimpse of the hidden side of Jayne.

Gotta agree though, that it's hard to pick just one episode as a favourite. I can't think of one that stands out to me as being particularly bad, though. If I had to pick one, though, I would pick "Safe". Not that it was a bad episode, but it seemed in many ways to be redundant. We knew that Simon gave up a heck of a lot to save River, so the Simon-River flashbacks don't really tell us anything new. They just quantify it. We knew that Mal regarded all of them as his Crew, and would move the heavens and the earths to save them, now it was just out in the open that Simon and River were part of the crew. There were a few points that were raised; Book's connection to the Alliance, the length that Mal is willing to go to save a member of his crew (going to the Alliance, even though he knew it could be extremely bad for everyone but Book), we knew that River had some psychic or psychic-like abilities thanks to the "conditioning", so what she did in this episode weren't much more than quantifying her abilities, etc. In a long running series, this could have been a springboard episode. (like OotS 135. V buys a whole lot of Heroism potions... that don't get brought up until Episode 421 again. Same sort of thing here could have happened.) In a short running series, unfortunately, it turns into a weaker episode. But a weaker episode of Firefly is still better than 75% of most other Sci-Fi shows out there.

Vonriel
2007-03-17, 10:09 PM
I...I have to choose? *looks around nervously and hugs the dvd box*

If I had to choose.. I'd say that one. Y'know, the one that was 15 hours long, took up 4 discs, and was packaged into the box. Yeah, that one.

I find it easier to rank quotes from the series than episodes from the series :smalltongue:

Book's speech about Mal going to the special hell.

Zoe: Preacher, don't the bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Very specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

River: The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems.
Mal: (to Simon) See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like.

Wash: Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction.
Zoe: We live in a spaceship, dear.

Saffron: He's my husband.
Mal: Well who in the damn galaxy ain't?

That's probably my list of favorite quotes.

indianajoe
2007-03-18, 12:36 PM
Out of Gas is my favorite.

Kender
2007-03-21, 09:07 AM
Firefly? What the heck was that?

*glances at his sig*

Oh. Well, I'm outed as a Browncoat now, I guess. :)

Favorite episodes for me would be Out of Gas and War Stories.. I think the weakest episode (none were BAD!) was probably Bushwacked, really. It still had really great bits (Wash's discussion of Zoe and his relationship, for example) but something about it overall left me kind of "meh" about it in general.

Just an FYI - if anyone likes reading Fanfic, Firefly-The Virtual Seasons (http://www.firefly-tvs.com) did about 12 more episodes that were really, REALLY well written. I did some webmastering for them over the past year, but the writing staff kind of fell apart, and I got too busy, so stepped down last month - but I do know they have at least one more story ready to come out.

Also don't forget - next month starts Drive (http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/01/20/drive-fox-promos/) - Tim Minear's new series that has Nathan Fillion and Amy Acker (Fred from Angel) as well.

Zodling
2007-03-26, 12:21 AM
Our Mrs. Reynolds is my favorite. My playing group are always talking about the special place in hell, with the people who talk in theater.

I also love the "how drunk was I last night?" and "Good Bible."

When I watch the series on DVD, I usually skip Heart of Gold. It just does nothing for me.

Kender
2007-03-26, 09:44 AM
When I watch the series on DVD, I usually skip Heart of Gold. It just does nothing for me.

Really? Wow - when Inara just breaks down after finding out Mal slept with Nandi - that just breaks my heart and affirms *everything* we'd only guessed she felt before.

Plus, so many great lines.

"Wash, tell me I'm pretty.."
"If I were not wed, I would take you in a manly fashion."

averagejoe
2007-03-26, 12:09 PM
"Because I'm pretty?"
"Because you're pretty."

Yeah, I never got the distain for Heart of Gold either. I mean, it wasn't one of my favorites or anything, but it was solid. Plus it had one of the very few truly villainous villains in the show.

ray53208
2007-03-26, 12:33 PM
i like heart of gold. i dont get why others dislike it so much either.

Jayne (enthusiastically, over the com-link): "Oh, thats just dirty!"
HAHAHAHAHHAHA!

Kender
2007-03-27, 07:09 AM
"Because I'm pretty?"
"Because you're pretty."

Yeah, I never got the distain for Heart of Gold either. I mean, it wasn't one of my favorites or anything, but it was solid. Plus it had one of the very few truly villainous villains in the show.

Oh but Niska wasn't villainous? Damn, that old man was creepifying and yet I liked him SO much! :)

Badger was just hi-larious.

averagejoe
2007-03-27, 02:47 PM
Oh but Niska wasn't villainous? Damn, that old man was creepifying and yet I liked him SO much! :)

That's what I mean, though. Niska had a certain... likeability to him. He was a businessman and, though he had sadistic tendancies, and was horribly, horribly evil, he was a businessman at heart, and carried himself with a certain amount of professionalism. The heart of gold guy, on the other hand, was just kind of a prick who was only a villain because he was such a big prick.

Andiamo
2007-03-27, 03:32 PM
Did you know the dude who played Niska was in an episode of Seinfeld? He was going to hire George, but he couldn't for some reason I can't remember now.

ray53208
2007-03-27, 06:40 PM
because independant george was rebelling against alliance george and a george divided against himself cannot stand.

yeah, i know. it hurt me to type it.

Sneak
2007-03-27, 09:03 PM
Everyone seems to hate Shindig, but I think it might be my favorite.

Wuv for Shindig.

Caledonian
2007-03-27, 10:58 PM
Objects in Space is probably my favorite, precisely because it draws upon our entire experience with River to make the con believable.

PaladinFreak
2007-03-28, 01:28 AM
For me, Trash. It has to be Trash.

River: "Also, I can kill you with my brain."

Actually, War Stories is one of my favorites as well. Obviously, I like all of them.

ray53208
2007-03-29, 06:10 PM
"Have you ever been with a warrior woman?"
~Hoban Washburn, Bushwacked

Andiamo
2007-03-29, 06:53 PM
The only episode that have come even close to a disliking for me is War Stories. Everyone here seems to love it, but the whole torture scene was not very good at all. And Wash and Zoe's fighting just kind of came out of nowhere.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-03-30, 03:51 AM
I can't pick one that I don't like, but Objects in Space will always hold a special place in my heart. Early was such a great character, and River was portrayed in a really great fashion... among all the other great parts of that episode. Like most people have said already, picking a favorite is exceedingly difficult.

Hinton
2007-03-30, 05:00 AM
Jaynestown, hands-down. A (very) close second would be Out of Gas, with Our Mrs. Reynolds and Trash tying for third (mostly because of YoSaffBridge).

All of the others tie for fourth for me.