PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Modular Classes: Martial/Magic/Skill Balancing Point?

DodgerH2O
2014-09-01, 07:30 PM
So I've wanted to design a "Modular" Class system for 3.x for a while now. My current project is for an E6, low-magic campaign. I'm aiming for an overall Tier 3/4 feel, and don't want mundane classes to feel too left out, but have very little experience with ToB.

The general idea of the system I'm going for is that you choose an "Archetype", such as Warrior, Expert, or Adept, which grants some features (HD, BAB, Saves, and Skill Points) and then choose a "Class" which gives Class Features, as well as Weapon/Armor lists and Class Skills.

I know doing it this way will create certain optimal combinations due to synergy with class features, but am asking the Playground's feedback in how to balance the Archetypes first, before I tackle Classes.

My current thoughts are:

Warrior
d12 HD (d10?)
+1/level BAB
2 Good Saves, 1 "Medium" Save
4 Skill Points/level
1/2 Class level as Initiator Level, Maneuvers as Warblade, Bonus Feats as Fighter

Expert
d8 HD
+3/4/level BAB
1 Good Save, 2 "Medium" Saves
8 Skill Points/level
Exclusive access to Skill Tricks, free Tricks at each level

Adept/Magic-User
d6 HD
+1/2/level BAB
1 Good Save, 2 Poor Saves
2 Skill Points/level
Sorcerer Spellcasting Advancement

How does this look? I'm also figuring some Classes (spellcasters) will have their own bonus spells/level, so you could have say a Warrior Mage who gains only a few spells/day vs. an Adept Mage who could have bonus spells from his Class in addition to the Sorcerer spells from his Archetype. I know as a rule spellcasting will bring things down to T1/2, and am considering dropping spell advancement for the Adept to that of the NPC Adept Class. Would that be better?

Thanks in advance for your critiques and advice.

1pwny
2014-09-01, 07:36 PM
Seems cool! I like it so far, all you would really need to do is flesh out the Classes, and I can give you a better critique.

My only advice is to keep in mind that an Adept(arch.)/Fighter(c) should be different than a Warrior(arch.)/Wizard(c).

DodgerH2O
2014-09-05, 08:48 PM
Seems cool! I like it so far, all you would really need to do is flesh out the Classes, and I can give you a better critique.

My only advice is to keep in mind that an Adept(arch.)/Fighter(c) should be different than a Warrior(arch.)/Wizard(c).

The Classes are where a bulk of the work will be, so I wanted to get an idea of how well people thought the Archetypes balance against each other before doing too much, but I guess the balance will be partly due to synergy with Class features so I'll outline a few of my current (WIP) Classes. I intend to shape these up (tables and such) as I finish each Class but for now they're very general.

Brawler
Key Features: Improved damage with unarmed attacks and improvised weapons (think Monk, but using table legs and tankards instead of Monk weapons), Rage, Bonus AC and movement speed in Light or no armor, special attacks (Stunning Blow, Flurry, etc)

Devout
Key Features: Channel Energy (a la PF Clerics), 2 Domain Powers (similar to core Cleric, but I'm going to rework the domains for more variation), Spells/day related to Domains chosen. Lay on hands (similar to PF Paladins).

Hunter
Key Features: Sneak Attack OR Skirmish (will be a choice at each level, so could have 1d6 skirmish, 1d6 sneak), Favored Terrain (as Ranger variant), Tracking bonuses and movement buffs as Ranger, Animal Companion

Arcanist
Key Features: Cantrips at-will, Arcane Bolt (scaling ranged touch attack), Specialty School bonuses and Spells/day related to School. Item creation/Metamagic feats. Counterspelling bonuses.

Weaponmaster
Key Features: Combat Style-based abilities (Sword/Shield, 2H, TWF, 1H, Ranged, Reach), switchable by concentrating one round, Weapon Focus/Specialization counts for all weapons, Partially or completely ignore Armor penalties (including spell failure).

That's most of them. I'm also working on a Bard analogue but... it'll probably be called a Bard, because nothing else has the same ring to it. I'm having trouble deciding whether to replace the core Bard's spellcasting or just limit it to a smaller list of "tricks" to fit the low-magic feel.