PDA

View Full Version : Alignments (Spoilers)

kpenguin
2007-03-09, 12:24 AM
This probably has been done already, but since I checked the pages 1-3 of this board and have (board) necromancy as my banned school, I'd like to pose this question: What alignments do you think the characters that have not yet had their alignments revealed have? Let the debates begin.

Renrik
2007-03-09, 12:44 AM
:roy:- LG. He said so, and he cares about others while following a moral code.
:belkar:- CE. Wanton unecessary cruelty, intense hatred, disregard for morality of any kind... the list goes on.
:durkon:- LG. Cares about people, obviously, but even more than that is incredibly lawful. Follows rules and codes to the letter. Maybe LN.
:elan:- CG. He;s good-aligned. As he is a bard,I'd have to say Chaotic.
:haley:- CG. Good at heart, but no respect for rules or regulations.
:vaarsuvius:- Neutral?

:xykon:- Evil. Evidence I've seen varies from LE, NE, or CE, but definately Evil.
:redcloak:- Possibly evil, but possibly neutral. I'm torn between them. I've been discussing this for a time on a different thread.
:roach:- as far as their actions dictate, they are neutral.
:mitd:- Neutral.

:nale:- Lawful Evil.
:sabine:- Neutral evil or chaotic evil are my two biggest choices.

:miko: -At this point, I'd go with NE.

bluish_wolf
2007-03-09, 12:46 AM
Roy: LG
Durkon: LG
Haley: CG
Belkar: CE
Elan: NG (bards have to be non-lawful, not necessarily chaotic)
V: TN (True Neutral)
Xykon: NE
Redcloak: LE
Monster: CN
Miko: LN (She's a tragic heroine, but certainly not evil.)

I was going to do minor characters and linear guild, but I don't really feel like it anymore.

The Extinguisher
2007-03-09, 12:56 AM
Roy: Lawful Good
Durkon: Lawful Good
Belkar: Choatic Evil
Elan: Chaotic Good
Haley: Chaotic Good...ish
V: Male (because his gender is true neutral)

Nale: Lawful Evil
Sabine: Neutral Evil
Thog: Chaotic Evil
Leeky: Neutral Evil
Pompey: Chaotic Evil
YikYik: Chaotic Evil
YokYok: Lawful Neutral
Hilgya: Chaotic Neutral
ZZ'dtri: Chaotic Evil

Xykon: Chaotic or Neutral Evil
Redcloak: Lawful Evil
Monster in the Dark: Lawful Evil
Demon Roaches: Chaotic Evil

Shojo: Chaotic Good
Juilo: Chaotic Good
Miko: Lawful Neutral
Hinjo: Lawful Good (no surprises there)

And for fun...
Old Man with Cryptic Musings (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0122.html): Lawful Evil. 200 gp! Thats extortion and just pure evil.

Hario
2007-03-09, 01:01 AM
Why do people think Xycon isn't Chaotic evil, its been pointed out that he kills for pleasure and he doesn't care who he kills, I've never seen him even point out of something of an oath, he's definatly Chaotic evil in my opinion. CE people can stand laws and can twist them if it betters them. In a strip way back Ogres demanded xycon give them better wages, he killed them and raised them undead. If he does something like that and people think he's neutral or lawful I wonder what kind of code he follows because if it has a good medical plan I'm in.

Redcloak is either lawful evil, Neutral evil (goblins statted at almost all being NE) or true neutral.

Thog: Chaotic neutral or CE (cannot be totally confirmed)

Fiendish Cockroches They are probably some form of evil their fiendish probably neutral evil.

Mitd is more than likely Chaotic stupid or neutral stupid.

The Extinguisher
2007-03-09, 01:06 AM
I wasn't completely sure with Xykon, so I but both. Redcloak is insanely loyal, Thog is complete evil and MitD is evil, he just sucks at it. And he's lawful, or else he wouldn't stay in hiding.

I thought they were called demon roaches. Maybe it didn't say.
...Actually, given the "Infernal hippie" from 422, I would say they are devils and as such are Lawful Evil.

Darkxarth
2007-03-09, 01:12 AM
:roy: Lawful Good, obviously.
:durkon: Lawful Good, probably. Though Neutral Good or Lawful Neutral are possibilities as well.
:elan: I'm going to have to go with Neutral Good. I haven't really seen much in the way of Chaotic tendencies. Stupid tendencies, yes, but not Chaotic.
:haley: Chaotic Good, probably. She seems to have more than her own interest at heart. She genuinely cares about others, as shown when she tried to help the Azurite ladies on the wall.
:belkar: *sigh* Chaotic Evil.
:vaarsuvius: True Neutral. I've seen no particular tendencies towards Good, nor any towards Law or Chaos. Vaarsuvius cares about her teammates (sometimes) and about stopping Xykon, but that doesn't make him Good, just loyal.
:miko: At this point, she's really riding the line between Lawful Good and Lawful Neutral. However, she thought she was doing the right thing, even though she wasn't, so I'm going to call her a teetering Lawful Good, with insane tendencies.
:nale: Lawful Evil, obviously.
:sabine: I have no idea. Not Neutral Evil, but I couldn't say between Lawful and Chaotic. I can see her as an LE Devil sent to aid Nale, since he's LE. But she tends to revel in chaos a heckuva lot too...
:thog: Chaotic Evil and lovin' it.
:xykon: Neutral Evil. He isn't averse to wreaking some Chaos now and then, but I just don't think he's CE.
:roach: Chaotic Evil. What? They're DEMON roaches, clearly the Monster Manual would say that they're CE.
:mitd: I'm going to have to go with Neutral Evil. With very similar reasons as Elan is NG. Stupid, but no tendencies towards Law or Chaos.
:redcloak: Lawful Evil. He's too into organization and keeping things straight to be Chaotic. And I just don't seem him as Neutral Evil.

bluish_wolf
2007-03-09, 01:46 AM
Why do people think Xycon isn't Chaotic evil, its been pointed out that he kills for pleasure and he doesn't care who he kills, I've never seen him even point out of something of an oath, he's definatly Chaotic evil in my opinion. CE people can stand laws and can twist them if it betters them. In a strip way back Ogres demanded xycon give them better wages, he killed them and raised them undead. If he does something like that and people think he's neutral or lawful I wonder what kind of code he follows because if it has a good medical plan I'm in.

He's still maintaining the contract. You obey me and I pay you. Since they stopped obeying him, he is under no obligation to pay them or even let them live. Heck, that's practically Lawful Evil.

happyturtle
2007-03-09, 04:51 AM
Wouldn't V have to be good to have been affected by the Unholy Blight in 11? Although I haven't played D&D since 1st ed, so I may be mistaken.

Haley said she was CG, but I don't remember which strip.

Durkon I'd say is LG. He left his homeland because he was told to and rejected Hilgya because of his moral code, which says Lawful. And he comes across as genuinely kind and compassionate, particularly in his conversations with Julia. And he was also affected by the Unholy Blight.

Roy has claimed to be LG.

Thog is clearly Chaotic, though I'd border more on neutral than evil. He seems to be rather affectionate, and I think if someone took the time to teach him, he could learn some empathy for other sentient beings. He seems to be more like a retarded person who doesn't know that he's hurting others than doing it because he enjoys killing (like Belkar).

Sabine I think is NE. I haven't seen her do anything particularly lawful or chaotic.

Elan I'd guess is CG like his mommy.

Miko LN

Redcloak NE

Xykon CE

MitD NE

Banjo must be CN in order to accept both Haley and Belkar as worshippers... okay, I'm drifting into the silly (or sillier) zone now and will stop.

Jawajoey
2007-03-09, 05:54 AM
I'm surprised people think that Elan would be NG. He seems chaotic enough to me, but based solely on his actions, I can see the ambiguity. But his family puts that to rest, because Nale is LE. His actions agree with it, his father agrees with it. Analogize that, and Elan would be CG because his mother was. Furthermore, they are opposites. Why would he not be the opposite of Lawful?

Xykon- CE or NE, could be either, I think, but I'd say CE.

MitD- Tough call. "Your corpses will taste delicious," "I will bathe in your blood" Sounds prone to violence. Then again... "lightly seasoned with nutmeg," "with a lavender bath gel and a good loofa," "Wanna play a game?"

Redcloak- I feel that too much is about to be revealed about Redcloak for me to guess at this alignment, but I'd definitely say somewhere between LE and TN.

V- LG maybe LN.

Sabine- NE

Miko- LN maybe, it's really hard to say.

Thog- CE, although it's conceivable that he's CN. Then again, the fact that Belkar wouldn't be evil if his wisdom was higher doesn't seem to have any bearing on his actual alignment, so why should Thog's extenuating circumstances pardon him?

Roaches- CR. Comic Relief :wink:

The rest I feel are pretty obvious and well agreed upon.

JackofAllBlades
2007-03-09, 06:31 AM
:roy: LG as persons above stated.
:durkon: Surely Lawful and Good.
:elan: CG
:haley: CG
:belkar: CE as his actions show.Excessive amount of killing for pressure etc.
:vaarsuvius: ?True Neutral maybe Neutral Good
:miko: LN heading to NE i says.
:mitd:NE Mitd is acting like a child i think,which explains playing games and such.
:redcloak:LE
:sabine: CE
And the rest i dont like writing about their alignment right now...

Ellisar
2007-03-09, 11:49 AM
I personally thing that Elan is TN. The reason is strip 68 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html), where Elan clearly seems to be unable to choose between either good and evil or law and chaos. That Elan always seem to choose the right thing to do in the end is also a neutral trait, as per the definition of neutrality in PHB.

factotum
2007-03-09, 12:32 PM
I think taking one strip which was obviously meant as a joke and deriving Elan's alignment from it is not the best approach. :smallwink:

I don't have a problem with Elan being Chaotic Good. Not only does that make most sense considering the alignments of his parents and his brother, we know that Nale and he were extremely antipathetic from an early age--suggesting they were opposites in every way, including alignment.

choryukami
2007-03-09, 01:01 PM
All members of OOTS except Belkar are clearly good because of this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0011.html

Unholy Blight
To Good: Sickens and Damages
To Neutral: Damages
To Evil: Nothing

So they all had to fail their saves and be good, since they were all unable to do anything, except Belkar of course.

MrBean13
2007-03-09, 01:28 PM
Why does everybody think of Belkar as CE? I admit, he has an evil tendency and he isn't tending to be bound to laws. But as we all know, Rich sometimes bends the rules of the game, so why shouldn't Belkar be, say, CN? He would have gotten damage from Unholy Blight but the goblin could have rolled all natural "1"s (don't sue me, I don't know, how every spell works, I just started playing and don't own a handbook) and the damage dealt to Belkar would have been nothing. Besides this I don't think everyone else of the Order is good. At least Haley and Vaarsuvius might be neutral and thus they shouldn't have been held by Unholy Blight, either. You see, it does not always work like the rules say. :smallsmile:

kpenguin
2007-03-09, 01:28 PM
All members of OOTS except Belkar are clearly good because of this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0011.html

Unholy Blight
To Good: Sickens and Damages
To Neutral: Damages
To Evil: Nothing

So they all had to fail their saves and be good, since they were all unable to do anything, except Belkar of course.

I drew that conclusion from that strip some time ago. However, the way the OotS were frozen suggests that unholy blight might be different in OOTS land (they were paralyzed, not sickened). Nothing besides that suggests that V is good, however.

@ Mr Bean: The Giant has explicitly said that Belkar is Chaotic Evil. the debate about Belkar is over.

MrBean13
2007-03-09, 01:35 PM
I drew that conclusion from that strip some time ago. However, the way the OotS were frozen suggests that unholy blight might be different in OOTS land (they were paralyzed, not sickened). Nothing besides that suggests that V is good, however.

@ Mr Bean: The Giant has explicitly said that Belkar is Chaotic Evil. the debate about Belkar is over.

Oh, if it is like this, then I'm sorry. I didn't know. Thanks for enlighting me.:smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-03-09, 01:46 PM
Banjo must be CN in order to accept both Haley and Belkar as worshippers... okay, I'm drifting into the silly (or sillier) zone now and will stop.

Being one step away is only applicable to clerics. We could say that Elan is a cleric(kinda) of Banjo, so if Elan is CG (some people say he's NG, some CN, I think he's CG), Banjo would have to be NG, CG, or CN.

Porthos
2007-03-09, 03:06 PM
Being one step away is only applicable to clerics. We could say that Elan is a cleric(kinda) of Banjo, so if Elan is CG (some people say he's NG, some CN, I think he's CG), Banjo would have to be NG, CG, or CN.

Well, I don't know if the One Step Away rule applies to the OotS world or not. For example, Thor is very Chaotic Good, yet Durkon is a Cleric of Thor. Now that wouldn't be such a big deal, except that Durkon has been confirmed as being Lawful (Origins), and is obviously Good. So Durkon is two steps away (Lawful ---> Neutral ---> Chaotic) from Thor.

I suppose it could be explained away by saying that the Norse Gods all have the Dwarf Domain, or something like that. :smallwink:

Purple_cloack
2007-03-09, 03:10 PM
:miko: Before LG, now CE
:nale: lawful evil
:sabine: lawful evil or chaotic evil,demon or devil!
:thog: netral
:elan: chaotic evil
:haley: neutral good
:roy: lawful good:
:belkar: Chaotic evil!
:mitd: neutral
:xykon: chaotic evil
:redcloak: chaotic evil
:vaarsuvius:Lawful neutral
:celia: lawful good
:hilgaya: chaotic good
:durkon: lawful good
Pompey: Neutral evil
Leeky: neutral evil!

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-09, 04:57 PM
:roy: Lawful Good. Much better paladin material than Miko.
:elan: Neutral Good.
:haley: Chaotic Good.
:durkon: Lawful Good.
:vaarsuvius: True Neutral.
:belkar: Chaotic Evil. Belkar is a vicious, depraved, anarchistic sociopath. He's mentally and vertically challenged version of the Joker.

:nale: Lawful Evil. He's an obnoxious tyrannical little prat.
:sabine: Lawful Evil. I can easily imagine her acting as Nale's enforcer if and when he conquers the world.
:thog: Chaotic Neutral with severe mental retardation.

:redcloak: Most likely Lawful Evil.
:xykon: He will kill other people on whim and using the cruelest means possible. Definitely Evil but more like Doctor Evil than Pol Pot (Xykon is an embarrassment to all villains). I'm not sure whether he is Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic
Evil.

:miko: She's a murderous Double High authoritarian who desires to impose her beliefs upon others. Lawful Evil.

Querzis
2007-03-09, 05:09 PM
:roy: Lawful Good. Much better paladin material than Miko.
:elan: Neutral Good.
:haley: Chaotic Good.
:durkon: Lawful Good.
:vaarsuvius: True Neutral.
:belkar: Chaotic Evil. Belkar is a vicious, depraved, anarchistic sociopath. He's mentally and vertically challenged version of the Joker.

:nale: Lawful Evil. He's an obnoxious tyrannical little prat.
:sabine: Lawful Evil. I can easily imagine her acting as Nale's enforcer if and when he conquers the world.
:thog: Chaotic Neutral with severe mental retardation.

:redcloak: Most likely Lawful Evil.
:xykon: He will kill other people on whim and using the cruelest means possible. Definitely Evil but more like Doctor Evil than Pol Pot (Xykon is an embarrassment to all villains). I'm not sure whether he is Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic
Evil.

:miko: She's a murderous Double High authoritarian who desires to impose her beliefs upon others. Lawful Evil.

I'm to lazy to write their alignement so I'm gonna say that I agree with you except for Thog (chaotic evil, stupidity is not an excuse) and Elan (Chaotic good, I never saw him do anything but Chaotic act, good act and neutral act, if you think he is neutral good then find at least two times where he did a lawfull act).

Spiryt
2007-03-09, 06:49 PM
:roy: despite of his short nongood episod in Wooden Forest probably LG
:belkar: Heh heh. Chaotic (sarcastic) evil. C'mon. It was known from since 11 strip.
:vaarsuvius: Neutral. Clearly for me.
:elan: Chaotic good fits him perfectly.
:haley: Chaotic Neutral/ Neutral
:durkon: I though that I will be little original here because i was disgusted by this strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html. It appeared that he has bigger stick than Miko. But since then he had done things like "mechanical defect". So i think LG

Instead I will be original here:
:mitd: Chaotic good. WHAT?! He is polite, like to play, want to be useful. He tries to retrieve purse to the damsel. He respect "not sending hobgoblins to death" So why not.
:xykon: Neutral evil. Not very lawful, but like organized style of being evil.
:redcloak: Though one after some recent strips. He can be lawful ( obvious), but he have some self reasons to serve Xykon ( chaotic). I will say Neutral Evil/Neutral.
:miko: LN after fall. I will say that she always has been like that, and murdering Shojo was just last step after which 12 Gods decided to left cahoot

happyturtle
2007-03-09, 07:17 PM
I personally thing that Elan is TN. The reason is strip 68 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html), where Elan clearly seems to be unable to choose between either good and evil or law and chaos. That Elan always seem to choose the right thing to do in the end is also a neutral trait, as per the definition of neutrality in PHB.

I think that strip represents Elan at a moral crossroads, where if he had chosen differently, his alignment should have changed. He could have let Nale fall, or made him tell everything about Xykon before pulling him up, or made him tell everything about Xykon and then let him fall, or stamped on his fingers... As he told Nale, he saved him because 'I'm the good twin, not the neutral twin' which means he ended up listening to the emissary of Good.

The Extinguisher
2007-03-09, 07:59 PM
:mitd: Chaotic good. WHAT?! He is polite, like to play, want to be useful. He tries to retrieve purse to the damsel. He respect "not sending hobgoblins to death" So why not.

Laughs at Roy when the trap sprung on him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0037.html) - Evil
Joins in on the villainous laugh (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0097.html) - Evil
"Corpses will taste delicious lightly seasoned with nutmeg" "I will bathe in your blood with lavender bath gel and a good loofah." He even thinks that nutmeg and lavender are scary, so he wasn't being non-threatening on purpose (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0103.html) - Evil
Oh yeah. He's totally being sincere here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0190.html) - Evil

And he's obviously lawful, or else he wouldn't obey Xykon and stay in the shadows all the time.

bluish_wolf
2007-03-10, 02:17 AM
Laughs at Roy when the trap sprung on him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0037.html) - Evil
Joins in on the villainous laugh (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0097.html) - Evil
"Corpses will taste delicious lightly seasoned with nutmeg" "I will bathe in your blood with lavender bath gel and a good loofah." He even thinks that nutmeg and lavender are scary, so he wasn't being non-threatening on purpose (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0103.html) - Evil
Oh yeah. He's totally being sincere here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0190.html) - Evil

And he's obviously lawful, or else he wouldn't obey Xykon and stay in the shadows all the time.

Since when is laughing and making snide comments evil? Even evil laughter isn't really an evil act.

Sure, he was planning on threatening the Order of the Stick, but they weren't exactly coming over for tea.

You could argue guilt by association, but that only affects paladins in D&D.

So, he's definitely Neutral on the Good/Evil axis. He hasn't really done anything good or evil, so he's neutral by default.

brian c
2007-03-10, 02:31 AM
:miko: Before LG, now CE

Okay now that's being a bit harsh; I don't like Miko but she definitely isn't chaotic, she still thinks she's following rules put down by the gods (just not the rules of the city), so that merits at least Neutral, possibly still Lawful. Being Lawful doesn't mean that you always follow all laws, it just means that you respect that laws have a place in the world and that there are laws which make the world a better place. My interpretation at least.

The Extinguisher
2007-03-10, 02:37 AM
Hate the term lawful. Order is much better word.

Besides. Divine Laws > Mortal Laws. Miko believes she's following divine laws, so you ignores the mortal laws.

Unlike good and evil, intent matters a lot for ethics. A law-enforcer who believes lethal force should be applies to all crimes without a trial with still be lawful, whether it is legal or not. He'll be lawful evil, but still lawful.

kpenguin
2007-03-11, 01:25 PM
I personally think that Miko is Lawful Neutral. Looking at the SRD:

A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government.

This seems to fit Miko, who is now acting by a personal code that appears to a warped version of the one taught to her in paladin training.

I agree with Flame Master Axel, "Law" is a cumbersome term that should be abandoned for "Order".

Elliot Kane
2007-03-11, 03:09 PM
Roy: Lawful Good
Durkon: Lawful Good
Belkar: Chaotic Evil
Elan: Chaotic Good
Haley: Chaotic Good
V: Lawful Neutral (Plans & prepares well, but interested in arcane power rather than good or evil).

Nale: Lawful Evil (Though possibly NE as he's not actually a very good planner or organiser, just thinks he is)
Sabine: Chaotic Evil (Non-existent concept of fidelity = Chaotic)
Thog: Chaotic Evil (Though possibly CN, as Thog is kinda childlike)
YikYik: Chaotic Evil
YokYok: Lawful Good (Totally bound by honour)
Hilgya: Chaotic Evil (Cleric of Loki = evil)

Xykon: Chaotic Evil
Redcloak: Lawful Evil
Monster in the Dark: True Neutral (Never does anything that would prove he was other than TN)

Shojo: Lawful Neutral (Will always plan/plot to do what's best for his city, but his actions are sometimes not exactly good or noble)
Julio: Chaotic Neutral (Acts on a whim)
Hinjo: Lawful Good

Khantalas
2007-03-11, 03:18 PM
Shojo: Lawful Neutral (Will always plan/plot to do what's best for his city, but his actions are sometimes not exactly good or noble)
Julio: Chaotic Neutral (Acts on a whim)
Hinjo: Lawful Good

I'm sure Shojo is not Lawful. He says so himself. Chaotic Good, if Belkar is to be believed.

kpenguin
2007-03-11, 04:12 PM
Shojo doesn't plan for what would is good for his city, he plans for what is good for the universe at large. methinks he is Neutral Good. He respects codes and authority, but doesn't always obey them.

Orzel
2007-03-11, 04:54 PM
:roy: Lawful good dug
:belkar: Chaotic evil. No respect for the lives and beleives of others.
:vaarsuvius: TN. He's out for arcane power and not much else.
:elan: Chaotic good. Believes in good. Changes himself often.
:haley: Chaotic good. Believes in good.. Little respect for the law or rules.
:durkon: LG Follows his tradition, religion, and laws even when he hates it.

:mitd: Chaotic neutral. He doesn't car about much
:xykon: Chaotic evil. Has an evil mission and doesn't care how it is done.
:redcloak: Lawful evil. has a mission. has a belief. Won't break either.

:miko: LN after fall. Follows the laws and codes to the letter. But now she writes the letters.

Elliot Kane
2007-03-13, 03:20 PM
I'm sure Shojo is not Lawful. He says so himself. Chaotic Good, if Belkar is to be believed.

Shojo doesn't plan for what would is good for his city, he plans for what is good for the universe at large. methinks he is Neutral Good. He respects codes and authority, but doesn't always obey them.

I can't see Shojo being Chaotic - he plans far too much. That's Belkar's guess, but it doesn't sound right to me...

I am torn between LG and LN a lot on Shojo, as there's no doubt from what I've seen of him that he is a major planner & organiser with his own codes. That makes him Lawful. Chaotic people tend to live more for the moment.

Guess it doesn't matter now, seeing as he's dead, but today I'm wavering back towards LG (And yeah I know he said he wasn't - but he's also a habitual liar :D).

He's one of the hardest characters for me to decide on though, I must admit. A good case could be made for any non-Evil, non-Chaotic alignment IMO...