PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [PEACH] Warforged Charger(monster) brakedown and Template. Step by step.

Drackstin
2014-09-08, 03:26 PM
So i have been going threw all my books and looking threw all the information online, and i cant find anything that can make a warforged a large PC. so i went to the only thing in my books that shows a Large warforged to see if i can brake it down for a template. i would like to see what everyone thinks, so please let me know, i know it feels weak compared to the Half races from dragon mag. but i think alot of DMs would allow this. ill start off with showing you the Original monster and go from there.

Large Construct (Living Construct)
Hit Dice: 4d10+20 (42 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +8 Adamantine Body), touch 9, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d8+5 or Powerful Charge 1d8+5 plus 2d6)
Full Attack: 2 slams +7 melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Adamantine fists
Special Qualities: Adamantine plating, damage reduction 2/adamantine, living construct traits, moderate fortification
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +1, Will –1
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 5, Wis 7, Cha 3
Skills: Jump +12
Feats: Adamantine BodyB, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Powerful ChargeB
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +4

This construct looks like an ogre-sized gorilla, walking on both its short legs and its hammerlike hands. Its body is heavily plated.
An earlier model of warforged than the scouts and soldiers, chargers are larger, less intelligent, and generally less adaptable than their successors. They are designed for a single task: charging enemy defenses and pounding them to rubble.
A warforged charger stands 10 to 11 feet tall and weighs up to 2,400 pounds. It haltingly speaks the language of its creators, usually Common.

Combat
Warforged chargers demonstrate less strategy and initiative than smaller warforged, clinging to their simple orders or, barring that, smashing anything that gets in their way.
Adamantine Fists (Ex): A warforged charger’s hammerlike fists are forged of adamantine, allowing it to overcome the damage reduction of other constructs and to ignore the hardness of objects.
Adamantine Plating (Ex): The composite plating used to build most warforged is enhanced to adamantine in the warforged charger (reflected in the Adamantine Body feat), providing a +8 armor bonus and granting damage reduction 2/adamantine. This plating is not natural armor and does not stack with other effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural armor). This plating occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and thus a warforged charger cannot wear armor or magic robes. A warforged charger can be enchanted just as armor can be. The creature must be present for the entire time it takes to enchant it.
Adamantine plating also provides a warforged charger with a 35% arcane spell failure chance. A charger is considered to be wearing heavy armor that allows a maximum Dexterity bonus of +1 and provides a –5 armor check penalty.
Moderate Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on a warforged charger, there is a 75% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

Warforged Chargers as Characters
Warforged chargers almost universally adopt the fighter class on the rare occasions when they advance levels. Warforged chargers possess the following racial traits.
• +10 Strength, +10 Constitution, –6 Intelligence, –4 Wisdom, –8 Charisma.
• Large size. –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
• Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
• A warforged charger’s base land speed is 30 feet, but this is reduced to 20 feet by its Adamantine-Laced Body bonus feat.
• Racial Hit Dice: A warforged charger begins with four levels of construct, which provide 4d10 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +1, and Will +1.
• Racial Skills: A warforged charger’s construct levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skill is Jump.
• Racial Feats: A warforged charger’s construct levels give it two feats. It also receives Adamantine Body and Powerful Charge as bonus feats.
• Natural Weapons: 2 slams (1d8).
• Special Attacks (see above): Adamantine fists.
• Special Qualities (see above): Adamantine plating, damage reduction 2/adamantine, living construct traits, moderate fortification.
• Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: None.
• Favored Class: Fighter.
• Level adjustment +4.
Source: Monster Manual 3

Well first off let’s break this monster down step by step.
What sets it apart for a normal construct? Being a warforged, so let’s take that away. I will be keeping the INT and CON though. We can also take out power attack and improved bull rush because those are gained normally and would be picked by a player.

Large Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+16
Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +8 Adamantine Body), touch 9, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d8+5 or Powerful Charge 1d8+5 plus 2d6)
Full Attack: 2 slams +7 melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Qualities: Adamantine plating, damage reduction 2/adamantine, moderate fortification
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will –1
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 5, Wis 9, Cha 5
Skills: Jump +12
Feats: Adamantine BodyB Powerful ChargeB

Large Chargers as Characters
• +10 Strength, +8 Constitution, –6 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –6 Charisma.
• Large size. –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
• Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
• A Large charger’s base land speed is 30 feet, but this is reduced to 20 feet by its Adamantine-Laced Body bonus feat.
• Racial Hit Dice: A Large charger begins with four levels of construct, which provide 4d10 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +1, and Will +1.
• Racial Skills: A Large charger’s construct levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skill is Jump.
• Racial Feats: A Large charger receives Adamantine Body and Powerful Charge as bonus feats.
• Natural Weapons: 2 slams (1d8).
• Special Qualities (see above): Adamantine plating, damage reduction 2/adamantine, moderate fortification.
• Level adjustment +4.

Next up let’s take away the large size because warforged are built they don’t grow.

Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+8
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (+8 Adamantine Body, +1 Dexterity), touch 11, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d6+1 or Powerful Charge 1d6+1 plus 2d6)
Full Attack: 1 slam +4 melee (1d6+1)
Special Qualities: Adamantine plating, damage reduction 2/adamantine, moderate fortification
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will –1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 5, Wis 7, Cha 3
Skills: Jump +8
Feats: Adamantine BodyB, Powerful ChargeB

Chargers as Characters
• +2 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, –6 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –6 Charisma.
• A Charger’s base land speed is 30 feet, but this is reduced to 20 feet by its Adamantine-Laced Body bonus feat.
• Racial Hit Dice: A Charger begins with four levels of construct, which provide 4d10 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +1, and Will +1.
• Racial Skills: A Charger’s construct levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skill is Jump.
• Racial Feats: A Charger receives Adamantine Body and Powerful Charge as bonus feats.
• Natural Weapons: slam (1d6).
• Special Qualities (see above): Adamantine plating, damage reduction 2/adamantine, moderate fortification.
• Level adjustment +3

Next Let’s remove Adamantine body and fists, since both of those are the same feat really, and you need to take it at first level, even if it’s a bonus feat. And like I said before, warforged are made.

Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+8
Armor Class: 11 ( +1 Dexterity), touch 11, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d6+1 or Powerful Charge 1d6+1 plus 2d6)
Full Attack: 1 slam +4 melee (1d6+1)
Special Qualities: moderate fortification
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will –1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 5, Wis 7, Cha 3
Skills: Jump +8
Feats: Powerful ChargeB

Chargers as Characters
• +2 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, –6 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –6 Charisma.
• Racial Hit Dice: A Charger begins with four levels of construct, which provide 4d10 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +1, and Will +1.
• Racial Skills: A Charger’s construct levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skill is Jump.
• Racial Feats: A Charger receives Powerful Charge as bonus feats.
• Natural Weapons: slam (1d6).
• Special Qualities: moderate fortification.
• Level adjustment +2.

So far we have removed “warforged, Large, and Adamantine body” as far as I can tell those should only be a +1 LA maybe +2 LA for the extra feat. The problem is, what remains are not worth +2 LA and 4 Monster levels.

Also there are some contradictions with warforged, the warforged charger, and constructs. Warforged rules state, they have a natural slam attack that is a 1D4, where in MM2(pg5) states a Medium Construct has a 1D6 slam, this is also apparent in the Charger, since its damage dice when large is 1D8. The other 2 problems I see with the charger is the movement speed from text to table is wrong, MM1 states a Large Bipeds movement is 40ft, Adding Heavy armor will reduce it down to 30 like the table shows, but the text states his movement starts at 30ft. the last think I see wrong with the original table on the charger is that its normal damage per slam is 1D8+5, this is wrong due to the fact that warforged slams count as two handed weapons, so damage would be 1D8+7. Also the reason it has 2 Slams is because of its Size, Creatures of size large or larger can make a slam attack with each arm, and these still count as being two handed weapons.

So let’s see what’s left, we have unbalanced stats, and that’s a +8 -12, so that would be a -1 LA, some may argue that this is balanced by Large size, but then your LA would be canceled out in a way, because the book Savage Species says that making a monster large is not worth a +1 LA but the reach ability is. So we are now looking at a +1 LA for the bonus feat Adamantine body. What’s left to get us to the +3LA still there? 2 bonus feats, powerful charge and Moderate fortification. Where I really do like Powerful charge, Moderate Fortification is not worth a feat, since there is a feat that gives you full fortification and a class you would take if you picked this race that has both of these.

In conclusion, Warforged charger to me should not be a 4HD +4LA monster race, there are plenty of monsters that are large and of the same ECL that don’t have this amount off negatives. If I was to remake it I would have it a 4HD+2 LA, and remove some of the –INT and –CHR. I would also tell any one of my players looking for a template to make a warforged large would be this.

Charger’s Body Template.

"Charger’s Body" is an inherited template that can be added to the Warforged race only (referred to hereafter as the "base creature")

A Warforged adding the Charger’s Body Template uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The base creature's type does not change. The base creature gains one size category. See Creature Size Changer for changes to the base creature when it gains a size category. The changes in this template are in addition to the changes outlined there.

Speed: If the base creature's size increased due to the application of this template, all its speeds increase by 10 feet.

Attacks: A Warforged adding the Charger’s Body Template increases the damage of his slam attack one size category in addition to its increase due to actual size.

Special Qualities: A Warforged adding the Charger’s Body Template has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Feats: A Warforged adding the Charger’s Body Template has Adamantine body as a bonus feat.

Environment: Same as the base creature.

Challenge Rating: same as the base creature +1.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +2.