PDA

View Full Version : Magic initiate or ritual caster for a barbarian?

Rfkannen
2014-09-13, 05:57 PM
So I thought that it would be cool to have a totem barbarian that had even more of that primal magic feel, and I decided that instead of multiclassing it would be cool to do that with a feat. In particular their are the two feats, magic initiate and ritual caster. I can't figure out which to pick though, I mean even fluff wise I could see equal opertunity in a ritual and simply the cantrip druidcraft, but from a in game perspective I can't realy see witch one would be better, either for fluff or crunch. So What would you do?

speaking of wich, I think if I do magic initate ill take druidcraft and thornwip, does that sound good?

Ferrin33
2014-09-13, 10:06 PM
I would go for Ritual Caster myself, as the Totem barbarian already gets a few spells it can cast as rituals it keeps with the flavor. Keep in mind that the damaging cantrips are useless because of your terrible casting stats. (Assuming you're using point buy and you didn't roll insane stats)

mabriss lethe
2014-09-13, 10:22 PM
You could also take it another direction with primal=fey. Pick minor illusion as one of your cantrips maybe mage hand or better yet, Dancing Lights. Call yourself Snorgbash the Fabulous.

Vowtz
2014-09-13, 10:48 PM
Eagle totem + eagle familiar.

Mandrake
2014-09-14, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I would also suggest you go either Cleric or Wizard on them rituals, better options.

Of course, if you prefer Druid, take Druid (game > power > some guys on internet said), just note that even those other two can be refluffed.

Rfkannen
2014-09-14, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I would also suggest you go either Cleric or Wizard on them rituals, better options.

Of course, if you prefer Druid, take Druid (game > power > some guys on internet said), just note that even those other two can be refluffed.

Yeah if its realy better I wouldn't mind taking cleric, why would you suggest it though? I thought that everyone but wizard had the same amount of rituals?

Hytheter
2014-09-14, 08:16 AM
What are good rituals to pick with that feat anyway?

Mandrake
2014-09-14, 09:20 AM
Because of Forbiddance, mostly. That is level 6 ritual that Cleric gets, and Druid doesn't, his rituals are capped at level five. Everything else is similar, for example, Cleric has Commune on level 5, and Druid has Commune with Nature. On lower levels many rituals even overlap. That said, Druid is, of course, a bit more nature oriented, though you can cover it ok with Cleric too.

Wizard is really good too, but he is Arcana, not Divine, so harder to apply.

As far as which rituals to take, the right answer is - all of them. Basically, just pick two to start off with, and get some money to buy and copy the others.

edge2054
2014-09-14, 09:44 AM
Totem barbarians already get speak with animals and commune with nature as rituals. I'd either grab find familiar or animal friendship, both are available with magic initiate.

Mandrake
2014-09-15, 02:46 AM
Totem barbarians already get speak with animals and commune with nature as rituals. I'd either grab find familiar or animal friendship, both are available with magic initiate.

Also both available with Wizard Ritual Caster, if I'm not mistaken.

TheOOB
2014-09-16, 03:27 AM
Also both available with Wizard Ritual Caster, if I'm not mistaken.

Find Familiar is wizard exclusive, but Animal Friendship is not on the wizard list.

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-16, 08:03 AM
Doesn't the barbarian have some abilities that key off of wisdom*? Seems like Cleric would be a good choice if that was the case.

*can't remember off the top of my head

Mandrake
2014-09-16, 01:26 PM
Doesn't the barbarian have some abilities that key off of wisdom*? Seems like Cleric would be a good choice if that was the case.

*can't remember off the top of my head

Again, no book here, so I might be wrong, but AFAIK spells that can be cast as rituals usually aren't stat dependent, so it's all the same.