PDA

View Full Version : All for one and one for all! [PrC]

Jarl
2007-03-11, 12:58 PM
Just writing this out while I have it in my head. I have a generically Mediterranean area in my gameworld, and I watched the '93 version of the Three Musketeers tonight. So, I'm taking a bit of that, a bit of Cyrano, a bit of Samurai, mixing it all together, seeing what comes out...

Musketeer
A 5 level prestige class
http://www.yfolire.net/img/sais/avent/artagnan.jpg

VALVERT What is the matter?
CYRANO My rapier prickles like a foot asleep!
VALVERT [drawing] So be it!
CYRANO I shall give you a charming little hurt!
VALVERT [contemptous] Poet!
CYRANO Yes, a poet,...and, to such an extent, that while we fence, I will, hop!, extempore, compose you a ballade!
VALVERT A ballade?
CYRANO I fear you do not know what that is.
VALVERT But...
CYRANO [as if saying a lesson] The ballade is composed of three stanzas of eight lines each...
VALVERT [stamps with his feet] Oh!
CYRANO [continuing] And an envoi of four.
VALVERT You...
CYRANO I will with the same breath fight you and compose one. And, at the last line, I will hit you.
VALVERT Indeed you will not!
CYRANO No?... [Declaiming]
Ballade of the duel which in Burgundy house
Monsieur de Bergerac fought with a jackanape...
VALVERT And what is that, if you please?
CYRANO That is the title.
[...] CYRANO [closing his eyes a second] Wait. I am settling upon the rhymes. There. I have them. [in declaiming, he suits the action to the word]
Of my broad felt made lighter,
I cast my mantle broad,
And stand, poet and fighter,
To do and to record.
I bow, I draw my sword...
En garde! With steel and wit
I play you at first abord...
At the last line, I hit!

[They begin fencing]

You should have been politer;
Where had you best be gored?
The left side or the right--ah?
Or next your azure cord?
Or where the spleen is stored?
Or in the stomach pit?
Come we to quick accord...
At the last line, I hit!

You falter, you turn whiter?
You do so to afford
Your foe a rhyme in "iter"?...
You thrust at me--I ward--
And balance is restored.
Laridon! Look to your spit!...
No, you shall not be floored
Before my cue to hit!

[He announces solemnly]

ENVOI

Prince, call upon the Lord!...
I skirmish...feint a bit...
I lunge!...I keep my word!
[The VICOMTE staggers, CYRANO bows.]
At the last line, I hit!

The noble Musketeers, guardians of the royal blood of the Mervois line, are keen warriors, poets, priests, and anything else their nation requires of them. The training required is intense, and the life difficult, but many fine knights and warriors have made the grade.

Requirements
Alignment- Lawful Good
Skills- Knowledge (Nobility and royalty) 5 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks
Feats- Proficiency with the Musket, proficiency with the rapier, Weapon Finesse
Special- Must be accepted by the Musketeers of Sacreli

Features
Hit Die- d8
Skills- The class skills of the Musketeer (and the relevant abilities) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis). A musketeer gains 4+int mod skill points per level.

The Musketeer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Cunning Strike

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Charming Duelist, Exceptional Aim

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Smite Evil

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|All for One, Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|One for All[/table]

Cunning Strike (Ex)- When striking an opponent who would be denied their Dex bonus to AC (or while flanking) with a melee weapon, a Musketeer adds his charisma bonus (if he has one) to his damage roll as an insight bonus.

Charming Duelist (Ex)- At second level, a Musketeer gains the ability to attempt a Perform check (DC 20). For 10 minutes afterwards, he may add his Charisma bonus (if he has one) to his Armor Class as a Circumstance bonus.

Exceptional Aim (Ex)- Starting at second level, when using a Musket, a Musketeer may take a full round action to line up a shot. At the beginning of his next turn, he may make an attack as a standard action, adding his intelligence bonus to the damage roll as an insight bonus.

Smite Evil (Su)- Beginning at third level, once per day, a Musketeer may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Musketeer level. If the Musketeer accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day. This ability stacks with the paladin ability of the same name for purposes of power and uses per day.

All for One (Ex)- Starting at fourth level, when using the Aid Another action in combat, a Musketeer instead grants a bonus equal to his charisma modifier on a successful check.

Bonus Feat- At fourth level, a Musketeer gains "Ranged Smite Evil" (Book of Exalted Deeds) as a bonus feat.

One for All (Su)- At fifth level, a Musketeer is a thing of legend and grandeur. Allies in a 10 foot radius around the Musketeer gain his charisma bonus as a moral bonus to their will saves against fear effects.

-It's early, I see. I should be asleep. Sleep sounds good. The class is intended for fighters, paladins, and knights. OH! And swashbucklers. Duh.

Matthew
2007-03-11, 06:27 PM
Shouldn't these fellows get some more Musket related abilities?

Jarl
2007-03-11, 10:21 PM
Shouldn't these fellows get some more Musket related abilities?

I always thought that myself.

-Hmmm. Oh well.

jlousivy
2007-03-12, 12:48 AM
this seems..... really underpowered and jw, how many skill points /level/
nothing exceptional on saves or HD

smite evil-- unless your a paladin you only gain a maximum of +5 damage
exceptional aim-- potentialy decent if you were sniping, but i can't see this being used on anything but an ambush
cunning strike-- i like this, however since they must be flat-footed, not flanked or anything, this really reduces the use of this
all for one and one for all-- decent

I'd suggest making cunning strike work on all foes that a sneak attack would and in the same situations, or that he can use cha instead of str on damage rolls(all the time). And exceptional strike, why not the first attack the next round gains the bonus, but he may still make a full-attack action, but only the first attack gains the bonus.

Jarl
2007-03-12, 10:15 AM
Fiddled a bit. Added Ranged Smiting, skill points (which I should add more of, come to think of it) and changed Cunning Strike to use the Sneak Attack rules.

-The Sniping bit came about because there's nothing in the class otherwise that has anything to do with muskets.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-12, 02:57 PM
nice class..I will probbly ruin the class with my notes.
so have fun.