PDA

View Full Version : My Humble [Setting]

Caduceus
2007-03-11, 01:03 PM
A friend of mine and myself are co-DMing a campaign when we get the basics of this done. I work on the large scale stuff and overarching plots, while he handles city and dungeon mapping and adventure plots.

So far, we have two major sections of the main continent, defined by terrain types and religions.

The Asgardian Pantheon (as defined in Dieties and Demigods) is worshipped in the region that the PCs start in. Mountains, hills, forests, and plains abound here, as well as shorelines where there is mixing with the other cultures of the world via trade. All of the major races can be found here.

The Pharaonic Pantheon (as defined in Dieties and Demigods, as well) is worhipped in the region on the other side of a great mountain range. This area is mostly deserts and plains. Originally, this was going to be dominated by humans only, with Jann (the weakest of the Genies) wandering the desert in merchant caravans. However, the Anthropomorphic Creature template just came up on these boards, and I'm working on stats for Catfolk (Basti), Dogfolk (Anubans), and other anthropomorphic races to live alongside the humans.

Neither region has a name as of yet.

The idea is that the PCs will start out in the town of Phan high in the mountains, near the border between the two regions. It is of village size with a temple of Freya and an orphanage as notable structures in the town. They will begin at 2nd or 3rd level with mere dungeon-crawling for a couple of levels. However, eventually, they'll start doing odd jobs for the townsfolk, building a relationship with them. Finally, they will be sent off to find herbs to save the life of a blind and sickly young orphan whom the priestess of Freya has been trying to heal for some time. They find the herbs, only to be too late to save the child. When they get back, the town is caught up in a blaze, with undead all over doing battle with the townsfolk. The orphan rushes up to them with the priestess, and just as the child is about to reach them, he/she is run through with a large flaming blade.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36913

This is the main villain, who set destruction on Phan in order to gather souls for his permanent gate to the City of Brass. A battle will ensue between the PCs and this Half-Devil Efreeti, but they will inevitably lose. Rather than killing them, however, he decides that they would do well to serve under him as vampires, and knocks them out to take them to his fortress in the desert for his lieutenants there to turn them.

I'll add more as I come up with it. Please give any suggestions you can.

Midgard (Asgardian):
Races: Core races, goblinoids, orcs, Monster Manual giants, ogres/ogre mages, Derro, Duergar, Changelings (MM3), Goatfolk (Ibixians) (MM3), Gnolls, Flind Gnolls (MM3), Eldritch Giants (MM3), Kenku (MM3), Nycters (MM3), Trolls, Cave Troll (MM3), Mountain Troll (MM3), and Witchknives (MM3)
Monsters Athach, Beholder, Bulette, Carrion Crawler, Chimera, Choker, Cloaker, Darkmantle, Delver, Dire Bear, Dire Boar, Dire Rat, Dire Weasel, Dire Wolf, Dire Wolverine, Displacer Beast, Doppelganger, Red Dragons (in the North), White Dragons (in the South), Silver Dragons, Giant Eagle, Ettin, Frost Worm, Gargoyle, Grimlock, Hippogriff, Black Pudding, Gray Ooze, Gelatinous Cube, Giant Owl, Owlbear, Purple Worm, Remorhaz (in the South), Roc (in the North), Roper, Troglodyte, Umber Hulk, Winter Wolf, Worg
Animals: Badger, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Polar Bear (in the South), Bison, Boar, Cat, Dog, Donkey, Eagle, Hawk, Horse, Mule, Owl, Pony, Rat, Raven, Weasel, Wolf, Wolverine
Monsters (MM3): Arcane Ooze, Avalancher, Battlebriar, Bearhound, Harpoon Spider, Living Spell, Mastodon, Rage Drake, Redcap, Skindancer, Slaughterstone Behemoth, Slaughterstone Eviscerator, Snowflake Ooze, Summoning Ooze, Vermin Lord

Ephisad (Pharaonic)
Races: Human, Janni, Armand (MM3, deserts), Harssaf (MM3, deserts), Phoelarch (MM3), Bastians (Catfolk, Homebrew, will be posted later), Anubans (Dogfolk, Homebrew, will be posted later)
Monsters: Basilisk, Blue Dragons, Brass Dragons, Dire Bat, Dire Rat, Doppelganger, Dragonne, Gargoyle, Hyena, Lamia, Lammasu, Sphinx, Bat Swarm, Rat Swarm, Ankheg, Dire Lion
Animals: Baboon, Cheetah, Elephant, Lion, Mule, Rat, Rhinocerous, Bat, Camel, Donkey, Hyena
Monsters (MM2): Ash Rat, Bone Ooze, Braxat, Dire Elephant, Fiendwurm, Flesh Jelly, Sun Giant, Loxo, Megapede, Phoenix, Rampager
Monsters (MM3): Brood Keeper, Death Giant, Sand Giant, Knell Beetle, Living Spell, Phoera, Rot Reaver, Zezir

Kirea (Olympian):
Races:
Monsters:
Animals:
Monsters (MM3):

Tolsanens (The "Wild" Lands):
Races: Human, Halfling, Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Half-Orc, Goblinoids, Skullcrusher Ogres (MM3), Warforged (MM3), Lizardfolk, Blackscale Lizardfolk (MM3), Poisondusk Lizardfolk (MM3), Dracotaur (MM3), and more.
Monsters: Athach, Behir, Bulette, Digester, Dinosaurs (all non-aquatic), Elasmosaurus Dinosaur (in the oceans surrounding), Ettin, Gray Render, Kobold, Krenshar, Locathah, Oozes, Otyugh, Owlbear, Phase Spider, Roper, Rust Monster, Skum, Spider Eater, Troglodyte, Worg, Wyvern, Yrthak
Animals: Badger, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Boar, Cat, Crocodile, Giant Crocodile, Dog, Donkey, Eagle, Hawk, Horse, Lizard, Monitor Lizard, Mule, Owl, Pony, Rat, Raven, Snake, Toad, Weasel, Wolf
Monsters (MM2): Ash Rat, Automaton, Bone Ooze, Bronze Serpent, Catoblepas, Darktentacles, Dinosaurs (Allosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Seismosaurus, Spinosaurus), Felldrake, Flesh Jelly, Fomorian, Forest Sloth, Gravorg, Grell, Hook Horror, Juggernaut, Legendary Eagle, Legendary Wolf, Legendary Snake, Legendary Horse, Legendary Bear, Linnorm, Nightmare Beast, Nimblewright, Reason Stealer, Spellgaunt, Wyste
Monsters (MM3):

Fuum Bango
2007-03-11, 01:15 PM
Have the clerics of Loki and the cleric of Anubis secretly plotting togethor!

For reasons involving DOOM.

Caduceus
2007-03-11, 01:40 PM
Except Loki is Chaotic Evil and Anubis is Lawful Neutral.

>.>

Fuum Bango
2007-03-11, 01:42 PM
But he is also a trickster, maybe he's getting his clerics to play nice so he can steal a secret from Anubis!

Fuum Bango
2007-03-11, 01:43 PM
The secret to DOOM us all.

Nahal
2007-03-11, 02:42 PM
What about Loki and Set?

Caduceus
2007-03-11, 02:42 PM
Let us also remember that there is a large mountain range separating the Nordic from the Egyptian regions. The only way they would have contact other than a perilous trek across said mountains would be for them to go by ship, which would take quite a while. A couple months at least. And why would Loki's clerics be on a ship? More likely Aegir would interfere in the Pharaonic lands.

Now, from here out, I'd like actual suggestions, not just tomfoolery. I'm sorry if that sounded pointed or mean, I just really want help.

Nahal
2007-03-11, 03:10 PM
If you're going to turn them into vampires, there needs to be some sort of complication. The players probably won't like being under the direct control of an NPC, so the lieutenants need to die either just before or shortly after they can turn the PC's. Perhaps the priestess of Freya survives the assault on Phan and follows the PC's, or a group of undead-hunters sent by one of the Norse gods wipes out the PC's captors then delivers a request from their superior/patron god/fluffy kitty.

Caduceus
2007-03-11, 03:21 PM
Actually, the idea was that they would get farther into the mountains, and several opportunities would arise for them to escape. If none of them were taken, then a great blizzard would develop in the area, and the Efreeti would have to escape to the Astral Plane for the rest of his journey, leaving the more vulnerable zombies and skeletons to bring the PCs across the mountains.

The idea was never to actually turn them. Just to plan to.

DomarSaul
2007-03-11, 04:07 PM
What happens if the characters realize themselves to be outmatched by the fiendish efreet and flee?

Perhaps, for added fun, the efreeti could have a blackguard lieutenant who, while evil in his own way, has a score to settle with his master. If the players dare, they could try to form an alliance with him against the efreet.

For the sake of foreshadowing and further dread, you could have rumours circulate the taverns while they're still low level. Some would be just be filler, but others might mention a terrible black-skinned, one-winged, red-armored demon who slew a whole cadre of the king's finest warriors a few jarldoms over.

OH! And names for regions:

Norse Pantheon: Ostervangen, Kirea, Stavasse, Vossos, Tolsanens
Pharaonic Pantheon: Sadaj, Hurat, Anatsep, Narash, Ephisad, Ual

Caduceus
2007-03-11, 11:02 PM
What happens if the characters realize themselves to be outmatched by the fiendish efreet and flee?

Then they end up in the same situation they would have been in if they had been caught, then escaped. Except with less EXP, and possibly less gold.

For the sake of foreshadowing and further dread, you could have rumours circulate the taverns while they're still low level. Some would be just be filler, but others might mention a terrible black-skinned, one-winged, red-armored demon who slew a whole cadre of the king's finest warriors a few jarldoms over.

Not a bad idea, thanks. Hell, if they get the idea that he's a demon, they might invest a ton of gold in cold iron stuff only to find that it doesn't work.

I'm thinking some random panicky guy sitting at the bar, telling the barkeep this unbelievable story about a giant demon destroying his village. How he "faced off with it and nearly had it killed, but for those pesky skeletons that kept distracting him." You know how people love to tell tall tales, or make their true ones a little heightened.

OH! And names for regions:

Norse Pantheon: Ostervangen, Kirea, Stavasse, Vossos, Tolsanens
Pharaonic Pantheon: Sadaj, Hurat, Anatsep, Narash, Ephisad, Ual

I like Ephisad and Kirea. Anything longer than Kirea and they'd never remember it (thinking back on Kironil).

Nahal
2007-03-12, 02:34 PM
I'm thinking some random panicky guy sitting at the bar, telling the barkeep this unbelievable story about a giant demon destroying his village. How he "faced off with it and nearly had it killed, but for those pesky skeletons that kept distracting him." You know how people love to tell tall tales, or make their true ones a little heightened.

I like Ephisad and Kirea. Anything longer than Kirea and they'd never remember it (thinking back on Kironil).

I think if you're going to go that route someone needs to be there to heckle him. Either the barkeep or a regular going "Nearly had it eh? Sure you weren't hiding in a barrel soiling your trousers?"

If you want to emphasize the dire threat posed by the efreet, you might be better off having him off in a corner somewhere, sobbing and rocking back and forth while muttering about the "uncrowned prince of fire," a couple fragments about "poor Bob got killed then got back up and killed Tim who got up and killed Sally who got up and killed..." and then have a sudden moment of lucidity and turn to the PC's. Perhaps something like

"A change suddenly comes over poor Antonias. Whatever remains of his mind seems to gather itself and purge the madness from his eyes for a moment. He turns to stare at you, a stare that seems to burn with all the fires of hell. It is the stare of a man made to stand before the abyss and see everyone he loves tossed into it while unimaginable horrors laugh and mock the fallen.
'He comes for your souls,' Antonias tells you, his voice full of fear. 'He said he needs souls to power the gates so that the charcoal palace might be his. He steals the souls and then commands the dead to walk and kill and bring him the souls, souls for the uncrowned prince of fire to reclaim his birthright from those who fear him.' The lucidity begins to fade and Antonias seems to start sinking back into insanity. 'Dont let him get your souls! He won't get mine! I'll run, run so I won't get back up and kill Bob who got up and killed Tim who got up and killed Sally who got up and..."

Caduceus
2007-03-12, 09:52 PM
Dood...do you mind if I use that? That was pure genius!

But really, are you okay?

Nahal
2007-03-12, 10:55 PM
Use it, that's why I put it there. And I just have a vivid imagination and a mild talent for phrasing (I'd say writing, but I can't construct a plot to save my life)

Caduceus
2007-03-13, 12:30 AM
I've added stats for the Half-Devil's cohort, a 17th level Githyanki Adventurer, with imitated classes being Magus and Fighter. Specialization in Cold magic. They can be found in the Half-Devil's thread.

Caduceus
2007-03-15, 10:02 PM
I've put up info on the races, monsters, and animals of the Norse (Midgard) and Egyptian (Ephisad) areas. I'm saving Kirea for the Greek pantheon, and I'm adding in a new area with a sort of feudal feel to it, but much more wild than the other regions. You'll see what I mean.