PDA

View Full Version : Dash

Spacehamster
2014-09-17, 10:29 AM
So in the PHB in the combat rules it has a section on dash but the only thing it says is that it doubles your movement. But nothing on if it has any drawbacks, so my questions are:

1: can you attack after a dash?

2: do enemies get attacks of opportunity as normal against you?

3: does it have any other drawbacks with dashing?

So thanks in advance if anyone knows if there is more to dashing then moving quicker. :)

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Gnomes2169
2014-09-17, 10:41 AM
1) No, it uses your Action to dash (unless you are a rogue or monk, who can cheat and use a bonus action to dash because of class features...)

2) Yes, if you would provoke normally, then the dadh will still provoke as it is the same kind of movement, just doubled.

3) Doesn't seem to have any other drawbacks. Really, Dashing is just a 3.5 double move action under a different name, and should be treated as such.

Hope that's helpful!

Spacehamster
2014-09-17, 10:43 AM
1) No, it uses your Action to dash (unless you are a rogue or monk, who can cheat and use a bonus action to dash because of class features...)

2) Yes, if you would provoke normally, then the dadh will still provoke as it is the same kind of movement, just doubled.

3) Doesn't seem to have any other drawbacks. Really, Dashing is just a 3.5 double move action under a different name, and should be treated as such.

Hope that's helpful!

Thanks yeah were just what I needed to know. :)

Spacehamster
2014-09-17, 10:49 AM
So there is no action like charge in 5th ed then? :)

Symphony
2014-09-17, 11:06 AM

There is a Charger feat that allows you to make a single melee attack (or shove) as a bonus action after using your action to dash.

General consensus is that it is not worth the cost.

Stan
2014-09-17, 11:25 AM

No (outside of feats), but on the other hand, you can make a normal move and still do a full number of attacks with your attack action. No more 5' step.

Occasional Sage
2014-09-18, 12:08 AM
No (outside of feats), but on the other hand, you can make a normal move and still do a full number of attacks with your attack action. No more 5' step.

No need for a 5' step, since moving within a threat radius doesn't provoke. Withdraw is still relevant, and has been corrected from its terrible 3.P effect to be the thoroughly-successful Disengage in 5e.

Stan
2014-09-18, 05:51 AM
No need for a 5' step, since moving within a threat radius doesn't provoke. Withdraw is still relevant, and has been corrected from its terrible 3.P effect to be the thoroughly-successful Disengage in 5e.

True but I was referring to fact that, previously, you could only move 5' and still get all your attacks. If you're only going to get one attack after moving, the existence of the charge action was more justified.

Malifice
2014-09-18, 06:15 AM
There is a Charger feat that allows you to make a single melee attack (or shove) as a bonus action after using your action to dash.

General consensus is that it is not worth the cost.

My Fighter/ cleric keeps finding himself 40 feet away from enemies. Moving 10' away and pegging a throwing axe is starting to **** me.

Its really starting to make Charger look more tempting.

Person_Man
2014-09-18, 09:22 AM
Also, the default design for 5E is the "Theater of the Mind" and not tabletop miniatures. DMs generally aren't keeping track of everyone's exact position, and so the ability to move more quickly is only useful from a narrative perspective, ie, if you're specifically trying to outrun or kite an enemy, or the DM has decided that you're 120 feet away from the Goblins ambushing you instead of 60 feet in order to make combat more deadly.

Stan
2014-09-18, 09:31 AM
Also, the default design for 5E is the "Theater of the Mind" and not tabletop miniatures. DMs generally aren't keeping track of everyone's exact position, and so the ability to move more quickly is only useful from a narrative perspective, ie, if you're specifically trying to outrun or kite an enemy, or the DM has decided that you're 120 feet away from the Goblins ambushing you instead of 60 feet in order to make combat more deadly.

Good point. When there's no grid, I'm likely to give player's the benefit of the doubt on whether they can get some place in 30' of movement. Unless something has come up like I've said the room is 100' long or a player has specified that they are 40' from the monster to prevent it from closing to melee.