View Full Version : Stop eating my flesh! [Monster]

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-12, 12:52 PM
Flesh-Feeder
Small Humanoid (Reptilian)
HD: 4d8-4 (14 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 30ft
AC: 18 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +3 Natural Armour)
Touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+0
Attack: Bite d20+4 melee (d6+1)
Full Attack: Bite d20+4 melee (d6+1) and 2 claws d20+2 (d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5ftx5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: n/a
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, Hold Breath, Feeding Invisibility
Saves: Fort+2, Ref+4, Will+1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 19, Con 8, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Balance+9, Climb+6, Hide+4, Listen+3, Search+3, Spot+3,
Swim+6
Feats: Improved Initiative, Great Fortitude
Environment: Underground
Organisation: Solitary or feeding party (4-6)
CR:
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral

Ahead you see 3 bodies that have teeth marks all over them, and you notice large chunks of flesh have been stripped off their bones. As you look closer a lump of flesh vanishes into thin air, followed soon after by some gnawing noises. All of sudden 3 short, brown, scaly creatures appear out of thin air, and they lunge at you.

Flesh-feeders are subterranean creatures distantly related to kobolds and troglodytes. In fact some sages believe they may be a crossbreed, although this raises questions of how they got their signiture ability. The familial ties are fairly obvious on appearance, but flesh-feeders are much more feral. What distinguishes them the most from their “cousins” is their limited ability to vanish into thin air. The sight of these beasts feeding is truly sinister. Flesh-feeders speak Undercommon.
Flesh-Feeder culture resolves around one main thing; the eating of vast amounts of flesh. Because of this craving, few choose to progress as adventurers, although those that do generally become rogues to add to their stealthy nature. A rare few decide to multiclass, usually as necromancers (these flesh-feeders usually prefer undead flesh compared to living)
Flesh-feeders are far too chaotic and feral to worship any sort of God. Those that do (unusually) turn to the King of the Ghouls himself, Doresain.

COMBAT

A flesh-feeder squad will nearly always be encountered eating. They use the advantage of surprise and their high initiative values to strike first. Once they have entered melee, they will only withdraw if they are on the brink.
A flesh-feeder with class levels will remain at the back, using sneak attacks or spells that revolve around physical buffs/making the creatures harder to see.

Hold Breath (Ex): A flesh-feeder can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 times its Constitution before drowning.
Feeding Invisibility (Su): A flesh-feeder automatically becomes invisible while feasting off a corpse. It remains like this while eating and for 1d6 rounds afterwards.

This is my first homebrew and I need to know CR as well as comments.

EvilElitest
2007-03-12, 02:39 PM
Interesting, a tab bit more fluff. Do they have the same gods, do they have a different culture ect.
from,
EE

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-12, 04:28 PM
Updated (thanks)

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-03-12, 04:40 PM
Thats a wicked Beastie you got there, wouldn't want to see him in my campiegns seeing as we are all commoners or warriors of some type.

Icewalker
2007-03-13, 02:09 AM
I like it, quite creepy and disgusting. I'd guess CR 2 (for a single), but I'm not positive. I like that they are intelligent and can take class levels, that always makes for better villains and plots and such.

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-13, 12:03 PM
Well, I never intended them to be major villains, but there is some scope there.

Also, Icewalker, I used the Vorpal Tribble method to determine CR and got a little less than 1, but we shall see.

EvilElitest
2007-03-14, 02:25 PM
I like the fluff. Very scary in groups. I have already used them against one of my good, i still don't know if they will live (I am using about 75 of the buggers). LIke the most evil sort of Kolbalds.
from,
EE

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-14, 04:45 PM
Technically they're not evil, but gee 75?
:durkon: Aint that a wee bit harsh?

EvilElitest
2007-03-18, 01:05 PM
Technically they're not evil, but gee 75?
:durkon: Aint that a wee bit harsh?

High level party (four guys, lowest 12 highest 16) with not casters and a tendency to just hack their way though things without thought. They now know to fear smart lowlevel monsters.
from,
EE

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-24, 12:42 PM
OK, fair enough. I just hope my creations will rip through their flanks, then turn invisible while feasting off their flesh.

Apart from that, I wish them well.

EvilElitest
2007-03-25, 02:10 PM
OK, fair enough. I just hope my creations will rip through their flanks, then turn invisible while feasting off their flesh.

Apart from that, I wish them well.

Well, you got your first wish. I planned to have them just do a really nasty ambush, do lots of damage, force the party to use up their good stuff so they will be weakened when they go up against the boss (Who is weaker then they are, so i need to even the odds).
But thanks to some "Really Smart party tatics" they had to flee after using up a lot of their spells. They have intrenched themselves in a cabin and and using tables, chairs, beds, window pans ect. to barracade them from the monsters.
Currently the party of five has two stablized guys, one at -1 and one at -7. Mostly out of spells and magic items. The flesh eaters are down from 75 to 41, but lots of wounded. Now that hte party is willing to use tatics it might get interesting.
from,
EE

Fuum Bango
2007-03-25, 02:18 PM
Hmmm, gnarly. This is just the sort of thing that would live in my new world.
I love 'em.

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-27, 03:31 PM
Well, you got your first wish. I planned to have them just do a really nasty ambush, do lots of damage, force the party to use up their good stuff so they will be weakened when they go up against the boss (Who is weaker then they are, so i need to even the odds).
But thanks to some "Really Smart party tatics" they had to flee after using up a lot of their spells. They have intrenched themselves in a cabin and and using tables, chairs, beds, window pans ect. to barracade them from the monsters.
Currently the party of five has two stablized guys, one at -1 and one at -7. Mostly out of spells and magic items. The flesh eaters are down from 75 to 41, but lots of wounded. Now that hte party is willing to use tatics it might get interesting.
from,
EE

Wow...never expected them to do THAT well.
Also, did any of the flesh-feeders have class levels?
That would have been just plain EVIL to ambush them with 75 rogues who get sneak attack. Even on high-level characters I believe that would inflict some damage (odds are that 3-4 would hit, but that's just speculation)

EvilElitest
2007-03-27, 08:27 PM
Wow...never expected them to do THAT well.
Also, did any of the flesh-feeders have class levels?
That would have been just plain EVIL to ambush them with 75 rogues who get sneak attack. Even on high-level characters I believe that would inflict some damage (odds are that 3-4 would hit, but that's just speculation)

50 had 1 level in warrior. 15 were level 1 rouges, and 3 level 2 and 2 level three. 1 cleric, 1 magling (npc wizard) 1 level 2 warrior and their leader a level 5 rouge. The party is really getting creative with defense, sense their elf is down they still don't know what they are up against. I feel like i am running a horror game.
from,
EE

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-28, 04:19 PM
DUN DUN DUNDUN DUN!
Anyways, thanks for all the comments guys. This is going to be the first in a (hopefully) long and game-mechanically accurate body part related monsters.

Check out next time for...OH GODS! IT ESCAPED! <snap, crack, bludgeon> dead.

EvilElitest
2007-03-28, 10:25 PM
DUN DUN DUNDUN DUN!
Anyways, thanks for all the comments guys. This is going to be the first in a (hopefully) long and game-mechanically accurate body part related monsters.

If you survie you massive bleeding, do you want me to let you know how the fight turned out?
from,
EE

KazilDarkeye
2007-03-29, 12:09 PM
Sure, go right ahead.

Matthew
2007-04-02, 07:59 PM
I am a bit confused about the Hit Dice Total. Wouldn't it be 4D8-4 with Constitution 8 (-1)? Or does Racial Hit Dice work differently?

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-03, 10:30 AM
I am pretty sure that racial HD work differently. Plus, they're MY monsters, so I say they have those HD.

O.K fair enough, you win this round. Edited.

Matthew
2007-04-04, 09:30 PM
Yay. Glad to hear I wasn't mistaken.

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-06, 04:17 PM
DUN DUN DUNDUN DUN!

Well my creation is finished, and you can check it out on "Stop Breaking my Neck". Marvel...Wonder...Criticise

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-09, 10:59 AM
Well, my 3rd body part-related monster should be up soon, so tune in next time for OH HOLY ****, IT ESCAPED AGAIN! <slurp, suck, schlurp> dead.

Neko
2007-04-09, 02:02 PM
Nasty little buggers... but very very cool. I like.

Matthew
2007-04-11, 06:54 PM
Is that Grapple Attack Bonus right? I think it ought to be +0 [BAB (3) + Strength (1) + Size (-4)]. I'm no expert, though, I'm just going by the Halfling entry in the MM, which looks wrong to me as well...

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-18, 06:36 AM
Do you EVER stop being the pedant of my homebrews? Just a question?

XtheYeti
2007-04-18, 07:03 AM
sweet monster, very evily awesome,what would happen i wonder if some necromancer acidently had a detachment of his zombies walk through a nest of these buggers

Matthew
2007-04-18, 11:20 PM
Do you EVER stop being the pedant of my homebrews? Just a question?
What, me? Hey, I'm just paying attention to the stat blocks. It is constructive feedback, as far as I know.

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-19, 07:18 AM
sweet monster, very evily awesome,what would happen i wonder if some necromancer acidently had a detachment of his zombies walk through a nest of these buggers

I can answer that with one word (providing the flesh-feeders the zombies march through are also necromancers):

CHOMP

EvilElitest
2007-04-22, 07:40 PM
Sure, go right ahead.

Basiclly my party of seven were crosing a log over a river. They knew their were some creatures in the water and caught a glipse of something reptalion. They thought they were crocs and the party started to cross. The mage cast fly on the rouge, who then walked over the log to make sure it was safe. He then tied ropes to make a little handle for them to crosse

Once hte ranger and the rouge were across, then just went over hte log in whatever order

That is when these little monsters attacked. Their one rouge back stabbed the cleric, who was the leader on the log, while about 15 attacked from behind, 15 from the front, ten from below, and five from the trees with ranges.
The party was about 14th level, so they lived, but not after the ten below attacked the log itself. The log fell, the party was seperated, and mass combat ennsued. The flesh ripper cleric cast buffs before hand, so even though the party took hey guys down easy, they were hit pretty badly.
After a while of fighting, the cleric was down and out of spells, the druid and his pet where dead, as was the ranger's pet, and rest were at bad hit points with very few items left. They had killed about 30 of the buggers, but were hurt when the guys on the top rolled logs on them and uses suicied jumpers with alchemist fire
Yeah nasty. So the paladin got everybody on top of the log and kicked it off, and then had himself killed to hold off the buggers, while the ranger and the thief provdied cover. The wizard uses up most of his good spells to keep them away, and they sailed away, but found the river had been damned. The wizard used his last fireball to blow it up, and they sailded with the flood, crashing into the shore and fleeing into a cave. They made their last stand their, using the log and bits and pieces of the damn as barriers and tried to hold them. The flesh rippers came back, after their warrior losses got the commmoner (women and non combatents) to fight with them. After a very brutal two days in the cave, the party emeraged with victory, killing hte leaders and almost all of the tribe, but they lost the wizard and they had to flee though the hostil jungle being chased by the last ten tribsmen to get to safly.
After many ambused ect. they killed five of them, two to direct combat, and two the swollen river, and one they used to hold off a dire raptor. The last five lured a grey render to attack them, and in a final fight, four of them were killed along with the render. the last one followed them out of the jungle (this was the level three rouge) until they reached the city, where hte joined a theif guild to come after them later. he became a recurring villian and is still at large
from,
EE

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-23, 11:35 AM
Man...that sucks...(the part about party members dying I mean)

EvilElitest
2007-04-23, 10:11 PM
What can i do, i don't like parties who try to take my world easy and think themselves unkillable
from,
EE

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-29, 02:04 PM
O.K guys, my 3rd creation is finished - check it out on "Stop impaling my organs!"

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-04-29, 08:52 PM
Man, that's the best way to test out monsters. By how many Char's they kill.

EvilElitest
2007-04-29, 10:40 PM
Man, that's the best way to test out monsters. By how many Char's they kill.

Pretty much, like Tuckers kolbads
from,
EE