PDA

View Full Version : Prismatic Deflector [Spell]

Crunk-gore
2007-03-13, 01:11 AM
Right now, just for fun, I am attempting to create some prismatic spells that may vary in spell level in hopes of eventually creating a "set" of prismatic spells ranging from spell levels 1 through 9 that incorportate the prismatic spells that already exist (i.e. prismatic ray, prismatic spray, prismatic eye, prismatic wall, and prismatic sphere).

The prismatic spell I have listed below (Prismatic Deflector) is one that I had thought up a couple of weeks ago. It is an idea that I had that combines the prismatic ray spell with the Wild Mage's random deflector ability. I am unsure of exactly what spell level I should put this at or even what school of magic to place this under, so I am posting it here to get some advice on the matter, as well as to get some comments on any fixes I could possibly make to balance it out or make it work more efficiently.

Prismatic Deflector
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz __
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Effect: Absorbs projectiles, missiles, and spells and spell-like abilities with certain areas, and then fires a colored beam at a random target.
Duration: 1 round + 1 round/every 2 caster levels beyond 1st.
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: See text

When this spell is cast, a transparent prism with edges that glow of white light appears around the caster; encompassing all of his body. For as long as this spell is in effect, whenever the caster would be the target of a projectile (such as an arrow), missile (such as a bolt or a thrown item), or a spell or spell-like ability with an area of ray, line, cone, or cylinder (such as lightning bolt and magic missile), there is a chance the prism will absorb it and then launch a beam of a random color at a random target around the caster.
When targeting you with a normal projectile or missile, the attacking creature makes an attack roll at his current attack bonus versus your Armor Class with a deflection bonus of +6. If the attack is successful, the amount of damage it deals to you is resolved normally. If the attack is not successful, the prism surrounding you absorbs the projectile and then begins to rotate rapidly, only to stop and fire a beam of a random color at a random target (the means for determining the beam’s color and its target are listed below).
When targeting you with a spell or spell-like ability with an area of ray, line, cone, or cylinder; both the casting creature and you make opposing caster level checks with the highest check prevailing. If the creature’s check is higher, the spell or spell-like ability it is attempting to cast on you is resolved normally. However, if your check is higher, then the prism surrounding you absorbs the spell or spell-like ability and then begins to rotate rapidly, only to stop and fire a beam of a random color at a random target (the means for determining prismatic ray color and its target are listed below). In cases of spells and spell-like abilities with an area of cone or cylinder, their effects on other targets within their areas of effect are determined normally whether-or-not they are absorbed by the prism. In cases of spells and spell-like abilities with a line area, their effects on targets between you and the caster are determined normally whether-or-not they are absorbed by the prism; however, if the prism successfully absorbs it, all targets in a line beyond you are not affected by it. On the other hand, if the prism cannot absorb it, all targets within the line of effect are affected normally, including you.
Every colored beam fired by the prism is a ranged touch attack with a close range (25ft. + 5ft/2 levels), and an instantaneous duration. Each color effect has a different power, with each having a save for it. The color of the each beam and their effects are determined in the same way they would be for the ‘prismatic ray’ spell.
Each colored beam fired by the prism is fired in a random direction, hitting a random target within the beam’s range. Roll a die with a number of faces equal to the number of potential targets within the beam’s range; assigning each potential target within the beam’s range its own number on the die (you are not a potential target, but the creature who targeted you with a projectile, missile, spell, or spell-like ability is). The target of the colored beam fired by the prism is the creature whose assigned number is rolled. Spell Resistance does apply to resisting the effects of a colored beam.