View Full Version : Eyebook and the Payoffs

benthehater
2007-03-14, 01:50 AM
Stanley aka Overlord1, sound "QUACK"
Wanda aka Wanda, sound "PLOIP"
Sizemore aka ImInUrDirtz, sound "CHOO"
Parson aka LordHamster, sound "EEP"

Signature Mac sounds.

And yes, on page 33, you get the mini-payoff on the EyeBook's first appearance on page 2.

There's many of them. The last panel of of page 27 pays off on the 5th panel on page 2. Though that one is extra funny because of what Stanley says in that panel.

Erk
2007-03-14, 05:10 AM
Oh, Sizemore, that's who ImInUrDirtz is, of course >.< I can't believe it took me so long to get that, being sick slows my brain down. Yay, I am glad they have finally met. Kinda. I predict a long and fruitful friendship.

I also predict Parson will have quite a lot of fun with his EyeBook for the rest of his time in erfworld. I hope we don't see EyePods and other EyeMerchandise though, because that would start to get EyePlayedOut. We already have elves for that.

Azrael
2007-03-14, 07:32 AM
I'm interested in this "pays off" term. Do you mean "plays off"? As in a joke plays off of its setup?

Anyhow, yeah. The comic, like any literary form, is going to reference things that happen (or are shown) earlier in the story. Its how a good, nuanced plot is formed. I bet the list would get really long if we tried to enumerate all of them -- even if we only focused on the jokes.

SteveMB
2007-03-14, 08:05 AM
I'm interested in this "pays off" term. Do you mean "plays off"? As in a joke plays off of its setup?
It means the reward (the joke) as a result of the preparation (the setup).

The original appearance of the eyebook back on Page 2 did give us an initial hint into the characters' personalities (the yet-unseen Lord Stanley used the "IM" handle "OverLord1"; Wanda simply used "Wanda").

Azrael
2007-03-14, 09:25 AM
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my disdain of verbing the noun "payoff".

Edit: :smalltongue:

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-03-14, 10:02 AM
Needs more P-p-p-p-Powerbook (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/)

oogabooga
2007-03-14, 04:26 PM

But... but... it was a verb first, or at least "pay" is.:smallconfused:

Scientivore
2007-03-14, 04:29 PM
Courtesy of the I'mInUrDirtz thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37399), here's a verbing cat (http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Image:Dictionary_Cat.jpg)!

Also, it just occurred to me: why is Stanley "Overlord1"? Was "Overlord" already taken? Is it a play on Optimus Prime? Was he trying to subvocalize a "!" and failed to shift the key?

chionophile
2007-03-14, 05:58 PM
Noun verbification is my favorite pastime.

I suspect that Overlord1 is partially a joke on all usernames needing a number and partially Stanley's ego requiring that he always be Number One.

Peter Harris
2007-03-14, 05:59 PM

The etymology goes a little. Something. Like. This.

Moneylenders would make loands / investments, and people would make an investment, and someone would pay it off. The investee would pay off the loan. Thus, the investment "pays off." Now, any investment, monetary or otherwise, can pay off, in the most natural and original sense of the phrase.

I believe the title of the thread, "Eyebook and the Payoffs" is a pluralization of the noun payoff. I don't see any instances of the word "payoffs" being used as a verb.

I may be wrong, but I also believe that the phrase "pays off" is older than the the phrase "plays off." I need to look it up in Oxford, but I don't carry Oxford to work.

So, in as much good fun as one can say this, I believe your disdain is unfounded. ;-)

pclips
2007-03-14, 08:28 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to say

I'M IN UR THREADZ, PAYOFFING UR JOKEZ

ElfLad
2007-03-14, 08:30 PM
In Soviet Russia, jokes payoff YOU!

Sage in the Playground
2007-03-14, 08:35 PM

Quoted For Brilliance

In Soviet Russia, jokes payoff YOU!

Also Quoted For Brilliance

Brickwall
2007-03-14, 08:43 PM
I...just...realized...the "eyebook" pun...

Well, we all have humbling experiences in life. I think I've had somebody else's share as well.

ryos
2007-03-15, 12:09 AM
"Verbing weirds language." --Calvin

benthehater
2007-03-15, 01:04 AM
And now, for your abusement:

payoffing = reverb.

Legendary
2007-03-15, 02:34 AM
I...just...realized...the "eyebook" pun...

Well, we all have humbling experiences in life. I think I've had somebody else's share as well.
I'm quite sorry for dumping mine on you. It was totally random, nothing personal.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go back to being perfection personified.

And ElfLad, I liked your USSR joke. :smalltongue:

Silverlocke980
2007-03-15, 12:36 PM
Long ago, James Hutton discovered the theory of palte tectonics. Unaccepted by the world at large, groups of dedicated geologists studied the ocean floor with the aid of a World War II boat commander and his sonar, mapping it out and eventually finding proof that, indeed, the plates are moving due to the forces produced by the new crust produced at the mid-ocean ridge.

In conclusion, I'd like to merely say that jokes are meant to pay off.

Azrael
2007-03-15, 05:43 PM

That's even better than

I'M IN UR THREADZ, LOCKING UR WORDZ.