PDA

View Full Version : A [creature] I've met firsthand...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-14, 08:59 AM
Yeah, after my spraying last night, I felt inspired...

-=-=-=-=-

Skunk

http://www.ci.arlington.tx.us/animals/images/skunk.jpg

Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 5 ft.
Armor Class: 13 (+1 dex, +2 size), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d2-4)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d2-4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spray
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +13, Listen +6, Spot +2
Feats: Ability Focus (spray), Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Temperate Forest
Organization: Solitary, pair, or forfeit (3–5)
Challenge Rating: 1/6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

This appears as a small, low creature covered in black and white fur and possessed of a large bushy tail. Its head is tiny and pointed, with miniscule tearing teeth. A nauseating stench radiates from it as it suddenly does a handstand and lifts its tail...

A skunk is a nocturnal, carnivorous animal that preys on smaller creatures such as insects, snakes, rats and frogs, while having few enemies itself aside from owls.

Combat
Skunks generally bite at weak creatures, though if larger creatures threaten them they run, spraying them with a horrible stench if they come too close.

Spray (Ex): A skunk can release an offensively smelling liquid as a ranged touch attack at an opponent up to 15 feet away. The victim must succeed on a DC 12 fortitude save or be rendered sickened for the duration of the encounter plus 1d4 minutes. On a roll of 20 the skunk sprays into their victim's eyes if they possess them, blinding them as well as sickening them if they fail their save. Creatures that successfully save cannot be sickened by the same skunk's stench for 24 hours, but can still be blinded. The skunk may only use this ability up to five times a day, and then loses the ability for a week. The save DC is Constitution-based.

A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from the sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws. Creatures who have been sprayed can be detected at twice the range of normal by scent, and creatures that possess the scent ability have the range of their smell decreased to 10 feet. Bathing does not normally remove this scent, though tomato juice and other concotions are known to. Skunks are not affected by their own spray in any way.

Skills: Skunks have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Listen checks.

Jothki
2007-03-14, 09:03 AM
At duration of encounter plus 1d4 minutes, the scent would probably wear off by itself before you could even get a bath started.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-14, 09:04 AM
You were sprayed by a skunk? I'm sorry! I hate just driving through the zones of stench left when they get scared or run over.

Holocron Coder
2007-03-14, 09:17 AM
At duration of encounter plus 1d4 minutes, the scent would probably wear off by itself before you could even get a bath started.

That's just the sickened or blinded state, it appears. You eventually get used to your own stink ;)

paddyfool
2007-03-14, 09:18 AM
Ouch! I'm very sorry to hear of your unfortunate random encounter last night, and I like the build, but you might want to more clearly differentiate the two aspects of the spray ability, ie the Nauseating effect and the smelling bad effect.

To be specific, it should specify that immunity to poisons grants no immunity to smelling bad, and it should also specify how long the smelling bad should last without special treatment. (1d4 days? I'm not very familiar with skunks). Also, I'm not sure that the penalties of smelling bad are, well, bad enough - the range at which a character can be smelled should be increased, and he should be detectable by smell even to creatures without the scent ability within a certain distance.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-03-14, 09:22 AM
Oof. Have any tomato juice handy?

Frojoe21
2007-03-14, 09:25 AM
All I can think of is:

http://www.sitstay.com/cgi-bin/poochcafe.cgi

Sampi
2007-03-14, 09:28 AM
Now don't you wish you had either delay or neutralize poison. ;)

Fascisticide
2007-03-14, 01:38 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!
Skunks rule!
Seriously! Think about it... the animal evolved in such a way it's primary means of defense against predators is to make them stink!

You should add a fiendish version of the skunk, and the only way to get rid of it's stench it with a remove curse!

And a celestial skunk that sprays perfume that smells good but orcs find it disgusting?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-14, 01:48 PM
Horror of horrors: fiendish woodling dire skunk.

Orzel
2007-03-14, 01:50 PM
No Bonus language: French?

Boooooo!

triforcel
2007-03-14, 01:54 PM
Personally I do not see how a skunks spray is considered a poison. I am pretty sure, though not entirely, that all it does is smell really bad. Instead of a delay or remove poison spell I can see it easily beeing over come with prestidigitation which allows easy cleaning of the fluid and removal of the smell as well. Just my 2 cents.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-14, 01:57 PM
Personally I do not see how a skunks spray is considered a poison. I am pretty sure, though not entirely, that all it does is smell really bad. Instead of a delay or remove poison spell I can see it easily beeing over come with prestidigitation which allows easy cleaning of the fluid and removal of the smell as well. Just my 2 cents.

It actually is a mild toxin.

Fascisticide
2007-03-14, 02:12 PM
No Bonus language: French?
I don't get it...

Golthur
2007-03-14, 02:17 PM
That sucks - hopefully you can get the stench off relatively painlessly. :yuk:

Luckily for me, the only skunks I've ever run into have been roadkill - though I've run into the occasional raccoon (they live near the river that runs through town), and other animals that are already in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bearBlack.htm).

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-14, 02:20 PM
I don't get it...

Pepe Lepew (I *know* I spelled that wrong) from the old Loony Toons shows. One of his shticks was that he had a French accent.

belboz
2007-03-14, 04:33 PM

As Fax pointed out, it is in fact a mild poison. Moreover, it's not what you probably think of when you think of "fluid". A skunk's spray isn't like a fine mist, or even a stream of urine. It's kind of like the Silly String from Hell. It's really nasty, sticky, viscous stuff, and VT has my condolences as well.

Mr Teufel
2007-03-14, 10:20 PM
The fact it takes certain chemicals to remove it implies that it has a (mild) chemical bond with it's target, which would exceed the powers of Prestidigitation IMHO.

From Wiki: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk)

The smell aside, the spray can cause irritation and even temporary blindness, and is sufficiently powerful to be detected by even an insensitive human nose anywhere up to a mile downwind.

Removing the scent from objects or creatures can be difficult. Some home remedies suggest using tomato juice, beer or vinegar. A more complex and effective remedy includes application of a mixture containing hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and liquid soap.[5] The thiols, which are responsible for the odor, are not water soluble, even with soap, but the baking soda catalyzes the oxidative ability of the peroxide, which oxidizes the thiols into highly water-soluble thiolates. In an episode of the television program MythBusters, the hydrogen peroxide mix was found to be the most effective smell removal agent.[6]

Fascisticide
2007-03-15, 12:07 PM
Anyone cares to create a skunk paragon?

Illiterate Scribe
2007-03-15, 02:51 PM
Wouldn't skunk spray impose a penalty on Cha-based checks?

Mr Teufel
2007-03-15, 11:25 PM
I think you've got a point there, Scribe. But only vs skill checks. Heck, it might even help to turn undead.:smallbiggrin:

Darkkwalker
2007-03-15, 11:43 PM
one hyphenated word. were-skunks. nuff said.

Mr Teufel
2007-03-16, 12:13 AM
Darkkwalker, you have just reveiled your CE alignment! I like it!

magnar
2007-03-16, 09:33 AM
I second the notion of giving a penalty to Cha-based checks, and would also say that while the stench makes you easy to track, it disguises your scent (you smell like a skunk, not yourself!) and, if it is unknown that you have been sprayed, setting dogs on you might not work. I guess what I'm saying is something like +10 DC to track by scent, unless prior knowledge, in which case -10 DC

belboz
2007-03-16, 01:22 PM
Not all Cha-based checks. I can't imagine that getting sprayed by a skunk would really make, say, a Mummy Lord less able to intimidate victims. Or, for that matter a Ghast, should it need to make Cha-based checks. I mean, skunk spray would probably *improve* the smell of a Ghast, no?

I'd say it's a penalty to Diplomacy checks (including untrained Diplomacy), but not Cha checks in general. It doesn't make you a worse liar, intimidator, or (certainly) user of magical devices, for instance.

Unless you're trying, speicifcally, to lie about whether you've been sprayed by a skunk. But that's a circumstance penalty, methinks.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-03-16, 01:41 PM
I can't imagine that getting sprayed by a skunk would really make, say, a Mummy Lord less able to intimidate victims.

This sounds like a scene in a David Lynch film.

Icewalker
2007-03-16, 04:13 PM
Awesome! Now all we need is a Dire Skunk!

Fascisticide
2007-03-17, 01:36 AM
There is a CR 9 giant skunk in the Munchkin Monster Manual, but I don't have it with me now... I'll give the stats when I get it back

Haedrian
2007-03-17, 07:25 AM
Skills: Skunks have a +4 racial bonus on Hide

Except to creatures with scent :)
-

Otherwise, I love it, do you mind if i use it for my DnD?

martyboy74
2007-03-17, 01:59 PM
Except to creatures with scent :)
-

Otherwise, I love it, do you mind if i use it for my DnD?
Of course not; skunks get a Turn <insert creature with scent here> ability a number of times per day equal to the amount of spray uses they have left.

geez3r
2007-03-17, 05:47 PM
Firstly, I am sorry for your encounter. Secondly, I actually don't think is strong enough. The save DC should be a bit higher, like 14 or 15, otherwise it just doesn't seem smelly enough. Otherwise random lvl 1 commoner could make the save 40% of the time, and I don't know that many people would be unaffected by skunks. Or conversly have there be a lesser affect even if you save. No one is at the top of their fighting game after being sprayed by a skunk.

Mr Teufel
2007-03-20, 07:58 AM
bumpity bump-bump, bump bump!

DracoDei
2007-05-04, 12:00 AM
PEACH (And it will probably need it... this is my first post and I had to polish up some things I never quite specified since this was just for my own reference before)
Ok, Skunks have been an interest of mine for a while, and I even GMed a campaign that heavily involved were-skunks (including sometimes party members).

The Good News: My research over the years, while not flawless has yielded some results. I have some more finely tuned rules for skunks including a Dire Variant (and a Legendary variant for those who prefer 3.0 rules for animal companions). If people like these I may submit them for MitP-II in a separate thread.

The Bad News: My worked out version of wereskunks is something I am keeping rather close to my chest since it is an almost completely different take on shape-shifting (but I may slap something simpler together here some time in the next week (especially if I get lots of helpful feedback:smallbiggrin: )). Also, being more realistic the rules I have for skunks and variants are more complex. They aren't COMPLETELY converted from 3.0 to 3.5 and some pesky details may be missing from the stat blocks. I am not too sure about the CRs.

Notes on major differences:
-I went with a high critical range because it seemed to fit better.
-Skunks do burrow, but I couldn't see one digging 5' in 6 seconds. But now that I check the SRD I see that they gave Badgers a burrowing speed (which is just as wrong IMHO). If people want to give them a burrowing speed for consistency that works, although taking away the burrowing speed of badgers seems better to me.
-Skunks don't like the smell they give off from everything I have heard.
-Skunks don't smell 'bad' per se themselves... the 'seals' on the glands are pretty good.
-If people want to include the rules about poison immunity preventing problems with the stench that is up to them. From what I have seen that would be consistent with the SRD. Personally I prefer the spell *Filter* (from 3.0 Tome and Blood) or a modified version of Blindness/Deafness (and the removal of the same) to temporarily remove the ability to smell (which might not negate the criticals entirely)
-I MAY have made soap too effective, but at least the duration required is measured in HOURS.

Skunk
Skunk
Tiny Animal
HD: ½d8 (2 hp)
Init: +2 (Dex)
Move:15’
AC: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex) Touch: 14 Flat-Footed: 12
STR: 3 DEX: 14 CON:10, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-7
Saves: Fort +1*, Ref. +1, Will +2
Attack: Bite +1 melee
Full Attack: Bite +1 melee
Damage: Bite 1d3-4
Special Attacks: Spray +4 ranged touch
Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, Scent
Skills: Balance +5, Escape Artist +8, Listen +4, Intimidate +5
Feats: Ability Focus(Spray), Weapon Finesse (bite)(B), Improved Critical (Spray)(B)**
Organization: Solitary, Hibernation Group (2d2), or Female with (1d4) Young
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: -

This represents any of the normal species of skunks. The striped skunk is the most well known, and the least aggressive of the three major species. In populated areas the will boldly raid trash and food stores, ignoring humanoids unless provoked. If threatened they generally make a threat display to attempt to avert conflict, raising the tail fully, and sometimes stomping the hind feet. The hog-nosed, and spotted species are noticeably more territorial and aggressive, but also tend to give warning.

Spray(Ex): ranged touch attack(but never provokes an attack of opportunity). Range increment 5’ (max range 15’), threats on a 18 to 20 (gets in eyes). They can store up to 5 'shots' and when under this number remaining recharge one 'shot' every 24 minutes. All those within 10 feet of target sprayed within the last 2d6 minutes (INCLUDING skunk) must succeed a fortitude save DC 15*** or be wracked with nausea, suffering a –2 circumstance to all attacks, saves, and skill checks for 1d6+4 minutes, the creature actually struck has this penalty without save and must save make a DC 12*** Fortitude save each round, if they make it they can take a partial action, if they make it by 5 or more points they make take their full action. If a skunk misses a ranged attack then determine which piece of the environment is hit using the grenade like weapon scattering rules, the 10’ stench radius applies from this square. Struck target (character and/or specific items struck) smell bad for days (See Lingering Stench below). If struck in eyes then additional –3 circumstance to all attacks, saves, and skill checks and requires Concentration checks DC 15*** for spell casting etc from burning pain and partial blindness for 2d6 rounds Fort save DC 20*** to avoid being completely blinded for that duration.

Lingering Stench(Ex): -5 to interpersonal interactions if struck or carrying such item, reduced by 1 per three days and also by 1 for each 3 hours spent washing with soap, apply triple this penalty as a bonus to tracking the victim by scent. Time spend washing items made completely from metal, crystal, and/or stone etc. can be washed off in only 1 minute per size class above Tiny but the smell gets on the hands or washrag used for the washing.

*(+3 racial bonus versus snake venom)
** Yes, I know the crit. range is an odd number, I just put this in here so you couldn't have have any way of improving further it without magic and to emphasize the degree of skill they have with the spray.
***Constitution Based, includes skill focus

Optional Rules:
-Skunks may be taken as a familiar, they grant no additional bonus to their master.
-Skunks may be taken as a Ranger or Druids animal companion the same as a badger.

Dire Skunk

Dire Skunk
Medium Animal
HD: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Init: +3 (+3 Dex)
Move: 20’
AC:15 (+3 Dex., +3 Natural)
STR: 10 DEX:16 CON:12, INT: 2, WIS: 10, CHA: 14
Saves: Fort +4*, Ref. +2, Will +6
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Bite +2 melee
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee
Damage: Bite 1d4
Special Attacks: Spray +6 ranged touch
Skills: Balance +5, Escape Artist +8, Listen +4, Intimidate +5
Feats: Ability Focus(Spray), Improved Critical (Spray), Weapon Finesse (bite)(B)
Organization: Solitary, Hibernation Group (2d2), or Female with (1d4) Young
Challenge Rating: 1
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 4-5HD (Medium)

Although they are a single species dire skunks individually range in temperament and color patterning (with no correlation between the two) across the gamut of those found in the normal varieties of skunk. They weigh anywhere for 120 to 250 pounds and are between 4 and 6 feet long including the tail. Small bony ridges protrude from the brows. The fur in a ring centered around the anus with a 1 inch internal diameter and a 2 inch external diameter is bright orange.

Spray: ranged touch attack. They can store up to 6 'shots' and when under this number remaining recharge one 'shot' every 20 minutes. range increment 10’ (max range 30’), threats on a 17 to 20 (gets in eyes). All those within 10 feet of target sprayed within the last 3d6 minutes (including skunk) must succeed a fortitude save DC 17** or be wracked with nausea, suffering a –3 circumstance to all attacks, saves, and skill checks for 2d4+6 minutes, the creature actually struck has this penalty without save and must save (Fortitude) each round DC 15 to take any action, if they make it they can take a partial action, if they make it by 6 they make take their full action). If miss then 10’ stench radius is from location determined by grenade scatter method. Struck target (character and/or specific items struck) smell bad for days (See Lingering smell below). If struck in eyes then additional –4 circumstance to all attacks, saves, and skill checks and requires Concentration checks DC 20** from burning pain and partial blindness for 3d6 rounds to cast spells etc. Fort save DC 25** to avoid being completely blinded for that duration.

Lingering stench: -5 to interpersonal interactions if struck or carrying such item, reduced by 1 per four days and also by 1 for each 4 hours spent washing with soap, apply triple this penalty as a bonus to tracking the victim by scent. Time items made completely from metal, crystal, and/or stone etc. can be washed off in only 1 minute per size class above Tiny but the smell gets on the hands or washrag used for the washing.

*(+4 racial bonus versus snake venom)
**Constitution Based, includes skill focus

Optional Rule: A Dire Skunk may be taken as an animal companion for a Druid or Ranger with the same restrictions and modifications as a Dire Badger.

Legendary Skunk

Legendary Skunk
Tiny Animal
HD: 10d8+20 (66 hp)
Init: +3 (Dex)
Move:20’
AC:18(+2 size, +4 Dex., +2 Natural) Touch: 16 Flat-Footed: 14
STR:3 DEX:18 CON:14, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 18
Saves: Fort +1*, Ref. +1, Will +2
Attacks: Bite +1 melee
Damage: Bite 1d3-4
Special Attacks: Spray +8/+3 ranged touch ((real skunks can spray very rapidly, so I thought that I would go ahead and give them the progression as if it were a manufactured weapon))
Skills: Balance +5, Escape Artist +8, Listen +7, Intimidate +5
Feats: Ability Focus(Spray), Weapon Finesse (bite), Improved Critical (Spray)

Legendary skunks can be created from any of the common types of skunk and thus their range of tendencies covers the gamut of the naturally occurring species. There patterning also covers the same range, with the exception that almost all individuals have bright red or orange hair within a 1 inch radius of the anus.

Spray(Ex): ranged touch attack that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. They can store up to 10 'shots' and when under this number remaining recharge one 'shot' every 12 minutes. The range increment is 20’ (max range 80’), threatens critical on a 17 to 20 (gets in eyes). All those within 10 feet of target sprayed within the last 4d6 minutes (including skunk) must succeed a fortitude save DC 15** or be wracked with nausea, suffering a –4 circumstance to all attacks, saves, and skill checks for 3d6+9 minutes, the creature actually struck has this penalty without save and must save (Fortitude) each round DC 12** to take any action, if they make it they can take a partial action, if they make it by 5 they make take their full action). If miss then 10’ stench radius is from location determined by grenade scatter method. Struck target (character and/or specific items struck) smell bad for days (See Lingering smell below). If struck in eyes then additional –5 circumstance to all attacks, saves, and skill checks and requires Concentration checks DC 25** from burning pain and partial blindness for 2d6 rounds Fort save DC 30** to avoid being completely blinded for that duration.
Lingering stench(Ex): -5 to interpersonal interactions if struck or carrying such item, reduced by 1 per three days and also by 1 for each 3 hours spent washing with soap, apply triple this penalty as a bonus to tracking the victim by scent. Time spend washing items made completely from metal, crystal, and/or stone etc. can be washed off in only 1 minute per size class above Tiny but the smell gets on the hands or washrag used for the washing.
Skills: Listen +6, Intimidate +?
Low light vision, Scent, Weapon Finesse (Bite), Improved Critical (Spray)
*(+5 racial bonus versus snake venom)
**Constitution Based, includes skill focus
Optional Rule: A Dire Skunk may be taken as an animal companion for a Druid or Ranger with the same restrictions and modifications as a Dire Badger.