PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Alternative Class] Tranquility in the face of battle (WiP)

Xuldarinar
2014-10-03, 12:22 AM
STOIC SAGE (ALTERNATE CLASS)

-Note:The stoic sage is an alternate class for the barbarian core class.
-Alignment: Any non-chaotic
-Hit Die: d12

CLASS SKILLS
The stoic sage's class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perception (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
-Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Table 1-1: The Stoic Sage
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1st +1 +0 +2 +2 Fast movement, tranquility
2nd +2 +0 +3 +3 Tranquil power, uncanny dodge
3rd +3 +1 +3 +3 Trap sense +1
4th +4 +1 +4 +4 Tranquil power
5th +5 +1 +4 +4 Improved uncanny dodge
6th +6/+1 +2 +5 +5 Tranquil power, trap sense +2
7th +7/+2 +2 +5+5 Damage reduction 1/-
8th +8/+3 +2 +6+6 Tranquil power
9th +9/+4 +3 +6+6 Trap sense +3
10th +10/+5 +3 +7+7 Damage reduction 2/-, tranquil power
11th +11/+6/+1 +3 +7+7 Greater tranquility
12th +12/+7/+2 +4 +8+8 Tranquil power, trap sense +4
13th +13/+8/+3 +4 +8+8 Damage reduction 3/-
14th +14/+9/+4 +4 +9 +9 Indominatable will, tranquil power
15th +15/+10/+5 +5 +9 +9 Trap sense +5
16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +5 +10 +10Damage reduction 4/-, tranquil power
17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10Fearless tranquility
18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +11 Tranquil power, trap sense +6
19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +11 Damage reduction 5/-
20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +12 True tranquility, tranquil power

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the stoic sage.
-Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A stoic sage is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).
-Fast Movement (Ex): A stoic sage's land speed is faster than the norm for her race by 10 feet. This benefit applies only when she is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor, and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the stoic sage's speed because of any load carried or armor worn. This bonus stacks with any other bonuses to the stoic sage's land speed.
-Tranquility (Ex): A stoic sage can quickly center their mind, entering a heightened state of awareness. Starting at 1st level, a stoic sage can use tranquility for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + her Wisdom modifier. At each level after 1st, she can enter this state for 2 additional rounds. Temporary increases in Wisdom, such as those gained from tranquility and spells like owl's wisdom, do not increase the total number of rounds that a stoic sage can use tranquility per day. A stoic sage can enter tranquility as a free action. The total number of rounds of tranquility per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive.
-While in tranquility, a stoic sage gains a +4 morale bonus to her Intelligence and Wisdom, as well as a +2 bonus on Will saves. In addition, she gains a bonus to her Armor Class equal to either her Intelligence modifier or her Wisdom modifier, chosen at 1st level. This bonus may not exceed the maximum dexterity bonus of the armor the stoic sage is currently wearing.
-A stoic sage can end her tranquility as a free action and is shaken after tranquility for a number of rounds equal to the number of rounds spend in tranquility. A stoic sage cannot enter a new tranquility while shaken but can otherwise enter tranquility multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a stoic sage falls unconscious, her tranquility immediately ends.
-Tranquil Powers (Ex): As a stoic sage gains levels, she learns to use her tranquility in new ways. Starting at 2nd level, a stoic sage gains a tranquil power. She gains another tranquil power for every two levels of stoic sage attained after 2nd level. A stoic sage gains the benefits of tranquil powers only while using tranquility, and some of these powers require the stoic sage to take an action first. Unless otherwise noted, a stoic sage cannot select an individual power more than once.
-Calculated Blows (Ex): The stoic sage adds their Intelligence modifier to their damage rolls.
-Insightful Strikes (Ex): The stoic sage adds their Wisdom modifier to their attack rolls.
-Low-Light Vision (Ex): The stoic sage's senses sharpen and she gains low-light vision while in tranquility.
-Night Vision (Ex): The stoic sage's senses grow incredibly sharp while in tranquility and she gains darkvision out to 60 feet. A stoic sage must have low-light vision as a tranquil power or a racial trait to select this tranquil power.
-Quicken Reflexes (Ex): While in tranquility, the stoic sage can make one additional attack of opportunity per round.
-Terror in a Tranquil mind (Ex): The stoic sage may enter tranquility even if shaken. While in tranquility after using this ability, the stoic sage is immune to the shaken condition. Once this tranquility ends, the stoic sage is frightened for 10 minutes per round spent in tranquility.
-Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a stoic sage gains the ability to react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She cannot be caught flat-footed, even if the attacker is invisible. She still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. A stoic sage with this ability can still lose her Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action against her.
If a stoic sage already has uncanny dodge from a different class, she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.
-Trap Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, a stoic sage gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses increase by +1 every three stoic sage levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.
-Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a stoic sage can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the stoic sage by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels.
If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.
-Damage Reduction (Ex): At 7th level, a stoic sage gains damage reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the stoic sage takes each time she is dealt damage from a weapon or natural attack. At 10th level, and every three stoic sage levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.
-Greater Tranquility (Ex): At 11th level, when a stoic sage enters tranquility, the morale bonus to her Intelligence and Wisdom increases to +6 and the morale bonus on her Will saves increases to +3.
-Indominatable Will (Ex): While in tranquility, a stoic sage of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves she also receives during her tranquility.
-Fearless Tranquility (Ex): Starting at 17th level, a stoic sage no longer becomes shaken at the end of her tranquility.
-True Tranquility (Ex): At 20th level, when a stoic sage enters tranquility, the morale bonus to her Intelligence and Wisdom increases to +8 and the morale bonus on her Will saves increases to +4.

FAVORED CLASS BONUSES
-Instead of receiving an additional skill rank or hit point whenever they gain a level in a Favored Class, some races have the option of choosing from a number of other bonuses, depending upon their Favored Classes. The following options are available to the listed race who have stoic sage as their Favored Class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the listed Favored Class reward.

ARCHETYPES
There are none, but I am making this section anyways. If someone wants to make any, feel free to share.

Ethereal Gears
2014-10-03, 04:01 AM
This is definitely a concept I've been wanting ever since I first laid eyes on the barbarian; i.e. a class the enters a sort of eerily focused trance rather than a frothing rage.

It reminds me a bit of this:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/4-winds-fantasy-gaming---barbarian-archetypes/serene-barbarian

Though I think I like your basic concept better, i.e. only increasing mental stats during the tranquility. There aren't enough full-BAB PF classes out there reliant on their mental ability scores, and it would be cool to have more of them.

What I can say right now is that to me becoming confused after the tranquility ends seems a rather steep penalty, since you may end up attacking your allies and such. Especially when you compare it to barbarians, who merely become fatigued. This doesn't mean it's bad in and of itself, but that aspect of tranquility makes it a lot worse than rage in my view, and should be kept in mind when balancing the class. If you want to keep closer to how rage works when it ends, maybe something like dazzled or shaken? The latter does at least feel a bit more "mental" in comparison to rage's fatigue.

As things stand now there's really not much else to say; this class will make it or break it based on if you can come up with cool tranquility powers for it I think; ones that utilized it's heightened mental stats in some interesting fashion. Maybe let them get Wisdom to AC and Int to Reflex saves or something via one or more tranquility powers; maybe only when wearing light or no armor. Kirin Strike type abilities would be cool, like giving them bonuses for "reading" or studying their foes, thus making use of their mental buffs. These are just rather vague ideas though; I'll look forward to what you come up with.

One final note: They already have a good will save, they boost their Wis via their tranquility, AND their will saves: that saving throw will be through the roof for these guys. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just very conspicuous. Maybe, just to not over-saturate their will saves, they could get like a bonus on Initiative and maybe get the ability to enter a tranquility as part of the Initiative check or something? Instead of just piling on even more Will bonuses?

Overall though I really like this concept and will be eagerly looking to see how the class evolves.

Xuldarinar
2014-10-03, 07:28 AM
This is definitely a concept I've been wanting ever since I first laid eyes on the barbarian; i.e. a class the enters a sort of eerily focused trance rather than a frothing rage.

Its a great concept, that given the right execution it could shine at any table. Now, personally this one came to me as I contemplated alternative classes for the core classes, so my approach may or may not be the best for the concept in mind.

It reminds me a bit of this:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/4-winds-fantasy-gaming---barbarian-archetypes/serene-barbarian

Though I think I like your basic concept better, i.e. only increasing mental stats during the tranquility. There aren't enough full-BAB PF classes out there reliant on their mental ability scores, and it would be cool to have more of them.

I never noticed that before. It is truly wonderful, but yes this does take a differing route.

What I can say right now is that to me becoming confused after the tranquility ends seems a rather steep penalty, since you may end up attacking your allies and such. Especially when you compare it to barbarians, who merely become fatigued. This doesn't mean it's bad in and of itself, but that aspect of tranquility makes it a lot worse than rage in my view, and should be kept in mind when balancing the class. If you want to keep closer to how rage works when it ends, maybe something like dazzled or shaken? The latter does at least feel a bit more "mental" in comparison to rage's fatigue.

The choice of confusion simply was for lack of a comparable mental fatigue, changing it to dazzled or shaken wouldn't be too bad, nor would coming up with a condition that inflicts a minor penalty to mental stats during it instead of physical stats. I like your suggestions for alternatives, they certainly do better.

As things stand now there's really not much else to say; this class will make it or break it based on if you can come up with cool tranquility powers for it I think; ones that utilized it's heightened mental stats in some interesting fashion. Maybe let them get Wisdom to AC and Int to Reflex saves or something via one or more tranquility powers; maybe only when wearing light or no armor. Kirin Strike type abilities would be cool, like giving them bonuses for "reading" or studying their foes, thus making use of their mental buffs. These are just rather vague ideas though; I'll look forward to what you come up with.

I agree here. It does lean quite heavily on what tranquil powers come up. Your suggestions are good, and I figure some minor things to emulate minor spellcasting wouldn't be unwelcome either but thats up for debate.

One final note: They already have a good will save, they boost their Wis via their tranquility, AND their will saves: that saving throw will be through the roof for these guys. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just very conspicuous. Maybe, just to not over-saturate their will saves, they could get like a bonus on Initiative and maybe get the ability to enter a tranquility as part of the Initiative check or something? Instead of just piling on even more Will bonuses?

I did notice that problem as I was making the alternative class, believe me. Bonuses to initiative and similar things aren't bad ideas for substitutes. I'll likely implement such things in due time, but I need to approach it with a clear mind (heh..).

Overall though I really like this concept and will be eagerly looking to see how the class evolves.

Im glad you like it. One of the biggest things I feel I'm missing here, aside from powers, is a name. I hate dealing with a project and not knowing what to call it. The "???"s drive me nuts, but it was that or never post it as I sit around trying to come up with a name.

Ethereal Gears
2014-10-03, 08:01 AM
I tend to obsess rather too much over the names of my homebrew classes and their class features for my own good. Let me see if I can offer some suggestions...

Sage?
Contemplative?
Disciple?
Savant?
Scholastic?

It's hard to find something that sounds both brainy and fighty. I would also bet that each and every one of those suggestions have already been used to name a 3.5/PF class in the past, because every single damn cool "fantasy"-sounding noun in existence has already been snatched up. :P

EDIT: Oh! Shamless self-promotion. I'd be really interested to hear what you think about the Alienist class I tossed up here yesterday. I might be playing one of them in a game soon unless people on the fora eviscerate the class too hard.

Xuldarinar
2014-10-03, 08:52 AM
I tend to obsess rather too much over the names of my homebrew classes and their class features for my own good. Let me see if I can offer some suggestions...

Sage?
Contemplative?
Disciple?
Savant?
Scholastic?

It's hard to find something that sounds both brainy and fighty. I would also bet that each and every one of those suggestions have already been used to name a 3.5/PF class in the past, because every single damn cool "fantasy"-sounding noun in existence has already been snatched up. :P

Some decent suggestions. I'll think about it. Granted that a lot of the names in existence have been taken, but theres nothing wrong with repeating, to a point.

EDIT: Oh! Shamless self-promotion. I'd be really interested to hear what you think about the Alienist class I tossed up here yesterday. I might be playing one of them in a game soon unless people on the fora eviscerate the class too hard.

I'll have a look.

infinitetech
2014-10-04, 02:01 AM
how about battle logition as a class name?

KitsuneBoxing
2014-10-04, 10:03 AM
Ok, this is a really cool concept. I really like non-magical classes that use mental ability scores, so it's a good class for me.

A couple of things:

This is a martial class, but the main feature increases their mental ability scores. As it is now they have no real use of this in combat. Obviously this is where the tranquil powers will come in, to bind the two together, but to me it would still be a good idea to give them some main class feature that uses wisdom or intelligence in combat. I personally dont usually like class features that let you use a mental ability score instead of a physical one, so something like that would not be my suggestion, but maybe something like what etherialgearts suggested of being able to gain a bonus to damage or similar from observing the opponent, or maybe a simple bonus to damage based on your mental scores (how the bonus would work i dont know, maybe your wis mod + your int mod /4? that sounds kind of boring. Maybe the ability to add your int mod to a damage roll a number or times per day equal to your wis mod? as i said, i dont know). If you dont wanna come up with a core class feature like that then i think that they should at least get a tranquil power at level 1, since i think otherwise playing them at that level would feel very weird, since your main class feature is oddly unusable (except obviosly for skill purposes, but if i understand correctly they are not meant to be primarily skill users?).

Another thing is how they will combine with spellcasting. The easy way would be to ban them from casting spells while using tranquility, but i could understand how that wouldn't suit their flavour. If they are not banned though, then wouldnt the best way to use the class in a build be to take one level of it and then the rest cleric or druid or similar to boost your dc's? Maybe that's not true, maybe that would still make a worse full caster, maybe loosing a level wouldnt be worth it, and maybe this wouldnt be a problem either way, since it obviously does not make this class in itself less fun or flavourful. It's just something to think about.

Finally i suspect that it is sometimes too similar to the barbarian. The way i see it, the fact that it is an alternative class has no meaning on its own, it is merely an easy and fun way to create the class. For example i dont really understand why they get a penalty to ac while they are in tranquility. Wouldnt a hightened state of awareness make you less likely to be hit by a blunt object, rather than more likely? As a matter of fact i would not think it strange if they gained a bonus to ac while in tranquility, adding their int mod to it or similar. I dont know if there are any other class features that i think are needlessly similar to the barbarian's, i definately get them having uncanny dodge and trap sense, even the dr makes sense to me, in a sort of monkish, mind over matter way. Maybe the fast movement doesnt make sense? I do love fast movement though, so i would understand keeping it.

As for a name i like the ones suggested by etherialgears. Sage would probably be my choice. But i would also like to throw Stoic into the mix, which is a word that i've been trying to use for a class myself, without coming up with anything.

Finally i've read and written this quite quickly, and if i've misunderstood something or written something rude or incomprehensible, it is probably because of these facts. As i said, i really like class.

Amnoriath
2014-10-04, 10:36 AM
[U][SIZE=5][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]
[COLOR="#FFFFFF"]-Tranquility (Ex): A ??? can quickly center their mind, entering a heightened state of awareness. Starting at 1st level, a ??? can use tranquility for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + her Wisdom modifier. At each level after 1st, she can enter this state for 2 additional rounds. Tempoerary increases in Wisdom, such as those gained from tranquility and spells like owl's wisdom, do not increase the total number of rounds that a ??? can use tranquility per day. A ??? can enter tranquility as a free action. The total number of rounds of tranquility per day is renewed after resting for 8 hours, although these hours do not need to be consecutive.
-While in tranquility, a ??? gains a +4 morale bonus to her Intelligence and Wisdom, as well as a +2 bonus on Will saves. In addition, she takes a -2 bonus to Armor Class.
-A ??? can end her tranquility as a free action and is confused after tranquility for a number of rounds equal to the number of rounds spend in tranquility. A ??? cannot enter a new tranquility while confused but can otherwise enter tranquility multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a ??? falls unconscious, her tranquility immediately ends.
-Tranquil Powers (Ex): As a ??? gains levels, she learns to use her tranquility in new ways. Starting at 2nd level, a ??? gains a tranquil power. She gains another tranquil power for every two levels of ??? attained after 2nd level. A ??? gains the benefits of tranquil powers only while using tranquility, and some of these powers require the ??? to take an action first. Unless otherwise noted, a ??? cannot select an individual power more than once.
I got nothing here at this time.

1. How does this rage alternative actually help this front-line character aside from powers? Purely mental stats in any kind of starting melee or even ranged type build do not really benefit them as such it mostly boils down to an AC penalty at first.
2. Either it needs another good save(reflex would seem to fit better) or it save bonus should go to another. Will save stacking is probably not going to help this character much
As of right now right now you are waiting on powers for it to be effective and the state is purely a condition to use them.

Xuldarinar
2014-10-04, 11:48 AM
how about battle logition as a class name?

I like it. Its a good suggestion.

Ok, this is a really cool concept. I really like non-magical classes that use mental ability scores, so it's a good class for me.

A couple of things:

This is a martial class, but the main feature increases their mental ability scores. As it is now they have no real use of this in combat. Obviously this is where the tranquil powers will come in, to bind the two together, but to me it would still be a good idea to give them some main class feature that uses wisdom or intelligence in combat. I personally dont usually like class features that let you use a mental ability score instead of a physical one, so something like that would not be my suggestion, but maybe something like what etherialgearts suggested of being able to gain a bonus to damage or similar from observing the opponent, or maybe a simple bonus to damage based on your mental scores (how the bonus would work i dont know, maybe your wis mod + your int mod /4? that sounds kind of boring. Maybe the ability to add your int mod to a damage roll a number or times per day equal to your wis mod? as i said, i dont know). If you dont wanna come up with a core class feature like that then i think that they should at least get a tranquil power at level 1, since i think otherwise playing them at that level would feel very weird, since your main class feature is oddly unusable (except obviosly for skill purposes, but if i understand correctly they are not meant to be primarily skill users?).

I agree they do need to have some means of applying their mental ability scores to combat and that will be cone by means of tranquil powers, feats, and perhaps some other class features.

You are right that they are not meant to be primary skill users, though one can certain apply tranquility for this purpose.

Another thing is how they will combine with spellcasting. The easy way would be to ban them from casting spells while using tranquility, but i could understand how that wouldn't suit their flavour. If they are not banned though, then wouldnt the best way to use the class in a build be to take one level of it and then the rest cleric or druid or similar to boost your dc's? Maybe that's not true, maybe that would still make a worse full caster, maybe loosing a level wouldnt be worth it, and maybe this wouldnt be a problem either way, since it obviously does not make this class in itself less fun or flavourful. It's just something to think about.

Unless someone determines that having access to tranquility along with spellcasting would be game breaking, I'm not going to limit one from casting spells while within that state. One possible use for this class is dipping so they can have an enhanced mental state to utilize when casting spells, at the cost of being at least one level behind in their spellcasting.

Finally i suspect that it is sometimes too similar to the barbarian. The way i see it, the fact that it is an alternative class has no meaning on its own, it is merely an easy and fun way to create the class. For example i dont really understand why they get a penalty to ac while they are in tranquility. Wouldnt a hightened state of awareness make you less likely to be hit by a blunt object, rather than more likely? As a matter of fact i would not think it strange if they gained a bonus to ac while in tranquility, adding their int mod to it or similar. I dont know if there are any other class features that i think are needlessly similar to the barbarian's, i definately get them having uncanny dodge and trap sense, even the dr makes sense to me, in a sort of monkish, mind over matter way. Maybe the fast movement doesnt make sense? I do love fast movement though, so i would understand keeping it.

Well, I simply took the barbarian and did a flip in some things. I am debating on taking some f it's class features and swapping them out, and I actually like your suggestion of giving them a bonus to AC based on Int while in tranquility as opposed to a penalty to AC. It would give them some combat viability based on a mental ability score out the gate without moving class features around or flat out throwing another at first level.

As for a name i like the ones suggested by etherialgears. Sage would probably be my choice. But i would also like to throw Stoic into the mix, which is a word that i've been trying to use for a class myself, without coming up with anything.

Finally i've read and written this quite quickly, and if i've misunderstood something or written something rude or incomprehensible, it is probably because of these facts. As i said, i really like class.

Im glad you like the class. Its an interesting concept that I want to finish fleshing out. If you've misunderstood something by reading too quickly, I understand. No matter what race we favor at the table, we will always only be human.

1. How does this rage alternative actually help this front-line character aside from powers? Purely mental stats in any kind of starting melee or even ranged type build do not really benefit them as such it mostly boils down to an AC penalty at first.
2. Either it needs another good save(reflex would seem to fit better) or it save bonus should go to another. Will save stacking is probably not going to help this character much
As of right now right now you are waiting on powers for it to be effective and the state is purely a condition to use them.

As it stands, mental ability scores do not inherently help the class out but they are it's focus. That will be changing very shortly. While I have next to no ideas for tranquil powers, which will be the primary means of putting their mental ability scores to use, these will be what they use to utilize their increased mental capacities.

When it comes to the saves, an increased reflex wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't intend for them just to stack will saves (those features are going elsewhere soon). it sort of just happened that way. Soon enough I'm re-writing some things so.. lets see what we get.