PDA

View Full Version : Additional Background Ideas for Lost Mine of Phandelver

stitchlipped
2014-10-03, 09:05 AM
Hey guys, due to the fact I have a larger party and they're not using the pregens, I've been obliged to create a few extra backgrounds than the 5 that come with the pregens to give everyone a personal objective.

Here they are, in case they're helpful to anyone else!

Take back the manor.
You are connected to the Tressendar family who once lived in Phandalin, before it was sacked by orcs. Perhaps you are a distant descendant of their line, or you might instead be descended from one of their servants. Either way, you know that the manor is in ruin, and unclaimed save by a band of local thugs that could be ousted without anyone blinking an eye.

You intend to claim the manor as your own, and possibly rebuild it. Later, when there is time, you hope to investigate the truth of an old family legend passed down to you by a parent: that there is a secret buried deep below the manor’s cellars.

Parlay with the Dragon.
Your contacts in a dragon cult have told you that in the ruins of a town called Thundertree lairs a dragon. Members of the cult have gone there to make overtures to the creature. You don’t particularly care for the ambitions of the cult, but you got involved with them because you’ve been looking for such an opportunity for a while – a highly intelligent and powerful magical creature, the dragon is sure to know useful lore or ancient secrets. If you can just find a way to persuade it to part with them, they are bound to be of benefit to you.

(I particularly like this one as it may put the character at odds with anyone who chooses the Drive off the Dragon background).

Helping out a cousin/Helping out a friend.
You are either distantly related to, or an old family friend of the Rockseekers. When Gundren and his brothers approached you in Neverwinter to ask for your help in claiming back the Lost Mine of Phandelver, you felt both an obligation to assist and excitement at the prospect. The restoration of the mine could mean great things, and in helping you will have earned a claim on the mine for your own.

Reforge a family heirloom.
You have a trinket passed down your family line. According to family legend the item has an important purpose, though it has long been forgotten. It is also meant to be magical, though you’ve never seen any proof it were so. You once took the item to a wizard who told you he could not repair its magic, only enchant it anew. But he mentioned the fabled Forge of Souls in the heart of the Lost Mine of Phandelver, and that if it still exists it may have the power to reactivate your heirloom.

It was actually a pretty fun exercise thinking up new ways to tie characters to the adventure. So I thought it might be fun to open it to others! What new backgrounds can you think of to put a fresh spin on the Starter Set??

MadGrady
2014-10-03, 11:05 AM
These are quite nice! I love having backgrounds that directly hook a player into the plot. Makes both the job of the DM and the job of the player (to interact with what the DM puts in front of them) a lot easier.

Well done!