PDA

View Full Version : Who are the other two Xykons? (SPOILERS!!!!!) (was that enough spoiler wanring?)

Professor Tanhauser
2007-03-15, 12:09 AM
Ok, my bet is that the other two xykons are the "half elf" and the druid that were briefly members of the linear guild. I donno how xykon got his paws on them, but I'm thinking that's who they turn out to be.

Hobot
2007-03-15, 12:10 AM
Based on what exactly?

TARINunit9
2007-03-15, 12:10 AM
they are some sort of summon(s?).

Charity322
2007-03-15, 12:13 AM
The half elf and Druid walked off into the sunset to set up their own evil team. Why would they have met Xykon, let alone work for him?

If you think they're planning to rescue Nale, I don't think so, they made it pretty clear that they were hanging him out to dry.

Allandaros
2007-03-15, 12:33 AM
I think we've seen the last of Pompey and "SONIC!!!" Leeky. My bet? The decoys are hobgoblins. For some reason, I feel that this accounts for their over-the-top behavior (one's ridiculously cowardly, one's ridiculously foolhardy).

The real Xykon, of course, is just plain ridiculous. :smallbiggrin:

HomerHT
2007-03-15, 12:38 AM
I'm going to have to oppose the Pompey and Leeky idea. The cowardly Xykon one would probably be Pompey, but he's too tall. The courageous Xykon actually sounds like Leeky, but again, too tall.

Probably just random hobgoblins A and B.

archon_huskie
2007-03-15, 01:21 AM
There's already a discussion on this. THe best answer is problably. they are different parts of Xykon's personality separated from his main personality to control the decoys.

Demented
2007-03-15, 02:08 AM
I like that idea, archon. "When given a choice between or the other, choose both!" It'd at least explain why the Xykons are wearing those stupid amulets.

Maurog
2007-03-15, 02:28 AM
They are just what is implied - decoys. The first one is just a common hobgoblin like the ones around him. The second one is a hobgoblin general. The third one is the real Xykon.

slayerx
2007-03-15, 03:31 AM
Actually, i don't think they are hobgoblins in disguise...
Remember Redcloack's threat to "Xykon" earlier... he threated to "Rebuke" him of all things. Such a threat would not mean a thing to a living creature, but it would be to an undead one

I kinda like the personalitiy theory, kind of thought about that one myself, only thing holding me back is that i didn't think Xykon had a sissy bone in him... i figured all evil and such...

cspariah
2007-03-15, 03:49 AM
Dangit! I went and created my own brand-new forum account because I was so stoked about my pie-in-the-sky, man-I'm-up-too-late theory about who the two decoy Xykons are. And now here I see someone else got to it ahead of me.

So, yeah, I totally agree with the first poster. The cowardly decoy is the mage that Nale recruited, and the power-mad decoy is the druid. I think there are good odds of this.

My main reason is that I think the two decoys have too much personality to just be random hobgoblins or background characters, but it's too late in the story arc to introduce two brand new characters. Where can we find two established characters, one sort of wimpy physically, one sort of crazy, and both willing to work for a Lich? Pompey and Leeky! Ding!

(Edit) Oh, and the height thing? Irrelevant, it's an illusion.

Elliot Kane
2007-03-15, 03:50 AM
I think they are undead of some kind... But what kind I have no idea. I really doubt they are any characters we have seen before. Given their life expectancy right now, I'd say we won't have to worry about seeing them again after this storyline, either :D

Dausuul
2007-03-15, 04:15 AM
There's already a discussion on this. THe best answer is problably. they are different parts of Xykon's personality separated from his main personality to control the decoys.

Because they're acting nothing like Xykon, and the one in the back is acting exactly like Xykon? Seriously. Which part of Xykon's personality exactly is it that goes on about spilling the blood of the righteous? Or that whines and cringes and is uncomfortable exercising authority?

Besides, I don't see Redcloak having the chutzpah to be this insulting (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html) to Xykon, even if it's only a split-off piece of Xykon.

I think all this about splitting up Xykon's personality is making things way too complicated. Redcloak's a high-level evil cleric; most likely is that he made a couple of skeletal undead, dressed them up in dark blue robes and red cloaks, and sent them in as decoys. The purpose of the amulets may simply be to let us as readers distinguish them, although my theory is that they allow the real Xykon to channel spells through the fakes, thus a) enhancing the deception and b) allowing Xykon to carry out his stated intention to "march up to the walls and start blasting away" while addressing Redcloak's concern for his safety.

As for Leeky and whatsisname the wizard kid, it's conceivable but seems unlikely. First, the decoys have to be undead or Redcloak's threat to rebuke one of them makes no sense. Second, what would they be doing in Xykon's army? Third, while I agree that wiz-kid's personality would fit tolerably well with Cowardly Xykon, neither Leeky nor wiz-kid makes any sense as Gung-Ho Blackguard Xykon.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-03-15, 04:45 AM
Ok, I think the one screaming to kill the blasphemers is the druid who would, of course, consider AC to be an abomination like all cities.

If he's the druid, then the half elf has to be the cowardly xykon.

As to how/why they're working with xykon, maybe they're up to it to free the rest of the LG? I don't know how they might have bumped into the big X and co, but it could have happened.

factotum
2007-03-15, 04:47 AM
Where can we find two established characters, one sort of wimpy physically, one sort of crazy, and both willing to work for a Lich? Pompey and Leeky! Ding!

But that's making the assumption that the Xykon decoys have to be established characters, and why should they be? They're just cannon fodder. As already mentioned, it also makes no sense for Redcloak to threaten to rebuke a character who isn't actually undead, especially when that character appeared to take the threat extremely seriously.

There's also the issue that neither of those two characters were abject cowards, whereas clearly the Xykon-with-the-orange amulet IS.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-03-15, 04:48 AM
OK, just checked it again, the gung ho one wasn't quite what I remembered but still if he's an evil druid then he might still like spilling the blood of the righteous, and if he'd a druid he may like the idea of the ground lapping up the spilled blood so it can grow grass or something. (Perhaps a special form of "grass" the druid could use in his "ceremonies"....)

Rift_Wolf
2007-03-15, 04:53 AM
Considering Pompey and Leeky were in Cliffport last night (When talking about how they were quitting the Linear Guild) and Cliffport is several weeks travel from Azure City (Which is why they needed a teleport spell, or an airship), also the decoys personalities don't fit the two characters at all, I think its more likely they're just random hobgoblins. I don't think that Pompey and Leeky will be coming back any time soon, if at all.

Dausuul
2007-03-15, 05:30 AM
OK, just checked it again, the gung ho one wasn't quite what I remembered but still if he's an evil druid then he might still like spilling the blood of the righteous, and if he'd a druid he may like the idea of the ground lapping up the spilled blood so it can grow grass or something. (Perhaps a special form of "grass" the druid could use in his "ceremonies"....)

Why would druids care about spilling the blood of the righteous specifically? And I think a druid, even an evil druid, would be a bit more upset about working for an undead abomination than he would be about some city dwellers.

Please note that the decoy in question is riding an undead mount. How many druids would agree to do that?

Yes, there are ways it could be explained, but the explanations are pretty contorted. And what's the evidence in favor of it being Leeky? That this character is showing some hints of personality, and Leeky showed personality, so it must be him? Not buying it.

Albion
2007-03-15, 05:52 AM
I HATE the "different parts of Xykon's personality" theory, I like the OP's theory far more. Let's see, evil pompous lich warlord who's exactly like he "should" be, and some lich who doesn't feel at home in his position, is a coward and can't get anybody to even listen to him. Actually, Leeky and Pompey makes fine sense. It's far out, but I'm actually supporting this!
(reads the other responses)
On the other hand... it sounded better at first than it does now. :smallredface: But if Leeky would be here, trying do his "new job" as well as possible, he might be like that. Same for Pompey. Maybe Xykon made them undead and his servants. How did their personalities live through(half-way). You guys are right, this theory is going the wrong way.

That badazz lich leader can't be a random hobgoblin.
And the other one is horribly out of place there for some reason. "Hey, just an idea... hey, how about, nevermind..."
There is something rotten in the house. Good thread

Daniel_Q
2007-03-15, 06:37 AM
No! Bad Tanhausr, Don't make such random bad threads!

nocker
2007-03-15, 07:21 AM
Using the same logic used by the OP, I say that the two forward Xykons are the dirt farmer and his wife.

Casey
2007-03-15, 09:48 AM
Oh hells, I think I've got it...

Moderate spoiler...
Who isn't with Redcloak and Xykon right now?

BIG spoiler
WHERE ARE THE ROACHES?!

-c.

Goofy
2007-03-15, 10:38 AM
Why has no one said "simulacra" yet?

Green Bean
2007-03-15, 10:49 AM
But that's making the assumption that the Xykon decoys have to be established characters, and why should they be? They're just cannon fodder. As already mentioned, it also makes no sense for Redcloak to threaten to rebuke a character who isn't actually undead, especially when that character appeared to take the threat extremely seriously.

There's also the issue that neither of those two characters were abject cowards, whereas clearly the Xykon-with-the-orange amulet IS.

I agree that all of the Xykons/Xykon decoys are undead, but if Redcloak just dressed up some raised skeletons, then why would they be talking? Aren't skeletons mindless undead? And if they are intelligent undead, why did Redcloak and Big X go through the exta trouble to make them so?

Dausuul
2007-03-15, 02:34 PM
I just had an idea... I now suspect the two decoys are the hobgoblin legion commanders, killed by Redcloak and raised as some form of undead.

My evidence? Comic #416. Redcloak comes up with his idea about how to arrange the troops and looks evil; then he heads off to speak with the legion commanders. At the time, the evil look triggered speculation that he was going to stab Xykon in the back somehow. But it could also make sense if he was going to murder the two legion commanders so he could turn them into undead Xykon-imitations.

1337_master
2007-03-15, 02:37 PM
Or...what about illusions? ya'know...just Major image or something?

the_tick_rules
2007-03-15, 02:40 PM
The actual clone spell is possible. But that is a very expensive and labor intensve spell, I'm thinking just illusions. i'm also thinking the one in the rear is the real one.

Black_Light83
2007-03-15, 03:43 PM
they are some sort of summon(s?).
well we know they are not summens bacause they all have different personalities. ( and neklaces)

Hobot
2007-03-15, 04:20 PM
As has been pointed out in thread about which Xykon is real, the green amulet one of the Xykon's is wearing looks very similar to the amulet Leeky was wearing. Of course it could just be a coincidence, but it's worth pointing out for a discussion like this.

rgoodfellow
2007-03-15, 04:24 PM
I'm voting that they're hobgoblins

lord_khaine
2007-03-15, 04:28 PM
it can just be normal skeletons redcloak has cast awaken undead on
(it works like regular awaken on undeads)

Dausuul
2007-03-15, 09:45 PM
Or...what about illusions? ya'know...just Major image or something?

Redcloak threatened to rebuke one, which strongly implies that they actually are undead. Given that, why bother putting illusions on them? One skeleton in robes looks pretty much like another to the untrained eye, particularly at a distance.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-03-15, 09:47 PM
As big a wimp as that half elf was, maybe just the threat of a normal rebuke was enough to terrorize him.

Vargtass
2007-03-16, 05:26 AM
I just had an idea... I now suspect the two decoys are the hobgoblin legion commanders, killed by Redcloak and raised as some form of undead.

I'm voting that they're hobgoblins

I agree. Evidence: Hobgoblin with green amulet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0190.html) and hobgoblin with orange amulet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)

Also, the hobgoblin commander and the hobgoblin supreme leader also wore similar amulets (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0149.html).

That badazz lich leader can't be a random hobgoblin.

These are hobgoblin commanders, not random hobgoblins.

I have not found the purple amulet, but then, I believe that that lich is indeed Xykon... in the flesh. Only, not.

I don't know
2007-03-16, 06:32 AM
Also, notice that xykon here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html has an orange amulet, while xykon in the back in the newest comic has a purple one. What colour did he have before the battle?

edit: no amulet, apparently: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html

Dausuul
2007-03-16, 07:59 AM
As big a wimp as that half elf was, maybe just the threat of a normal rebuke was enough to terrorize him.

Redcloak also called him a "whiny crybaby sack of undead crap."