PDA

View Full Version : World Help Some high fantasy deities I've been working on, feedback would be nice

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-10-07, 08:21 PM
Weatlhy Avaliss - gems, wealth, and risk
There is only one priest of the richest god, and he is given the divine title of "Wealthy". The Wealthy may be overthrown by anyone who has more riches, and the change scatters the previous priest's wealth to the four corners of the world.

Digger Gimis - slime, decay, and nature
His priests are afflicted with rotting disease, but are rumored to gain tremendous powers for it.

Truthful Ku - mirrors, truth, and illusion
Priests wear masks at all times. It is said that they sacrifice their identity for knowledge, and it's rare to be able to stump a priest of the Truthful. His name is taboo to speak, as it is rumored to expose secrets.

Seer Kagusaha - stars, apocalyptic destruction
Kagusha is dead, but her all-seeing eye remains fixed in the heavens. Once each week a meteorite falls upon the Temple of Sparks. The oracle there interprets its shape, size, and composition to predict the future.

Dread Zammim - ice, storms, and survival
Zammim promotes the survival of the fittest. Her priests have a terrible reputation for child neglect. The distant Temple of Frost occasionally produces a warrior with epic strength who performs great deeds, for good or ill.

Zarshur - salt, oceans, and the underworld
Anyone who claims authority from Zarshur is swallowed up by the earth in that very instant. Worshippers make their prayers and scrifices directly to him, usually only on behalf of the recently deceased. The Port of Silt is a maesoleum city entiredly dedicated to the Lord of the Dead and guarded by undead caretakers.

Destroyer Iguki - cinders, destruction, and birth
Priests of Iguki must burn all of their possessions and live without material goods. She is known to grant wishes to her followers from time to time, and many abandon their service when they obtain a boon.

Red Baki - poison, health, and longevity
He has a circle of 13 high priests who are thoroughly immortal. They may bestow a year of immortality on any mortal they see fit, but Baki chooses when his priests die.

Avaris
2014-10-08, 05:29 AM
Avaliss is interesting... How is wealth measured? Coin? It strikes me that the Wealthy would change regularly, and there are probably a lot of people who have been ruined by gaining the title and then losing it. The God strikes me as one encouraging philanthropy to ensure you don't become too wealthy and become its priest!

More detail on Gimis would be nice, particularly why its called Digger... Is the rotting disease something which kills them in time, or just cosmetic?

Ku: something I've had an idea for for a while, have set masks that priests wear to assume an identity. Mask of the Medusa, mask of the comedian etc. They have powers and personalities based on the mask they wear at the time, each of which represents an aspect of their god.

Kagusaha: I wonder about the interplay of a seer god with one whose realm is truth and illusion... Maybe Ku killed the Seer?

Zammim: I'm cautious about the child neglect angle: why are children sent to them if they have that reputation? Ice and storms are cool though.

Zarshur, no title? No priests, so assume passed on as tradition. Quite like the idea, but got nothing much to add

Iguki: seems quite similar to the Seer... Maybe Iguki is the saspect of that God which survived? Now mad and fickle, and cannot see when worshippers abandon faith after receiving a boon.

Baki: I assume immortal in the sense of invulnerable, rather than not dying of old age? Could build up conflict with Gimis

Oracle_of_Void
2014-10-29, 09:05 PM
Why is the god of destruction and cinder also in charge of birth, one of the greatest acts of creation people can accomplish?

Xuc Xac
2014-10-30, 12:33 AM
Why is the god of destruction and cinder also in charge of birth, one of the greatest acts of creation people can accomplish?

The goddess of clean slates?

GorinichSerpant
2014-10-31, 09:05 AM
As the saying goes, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. For something to be made, something must be lost.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-10-31, 08:13 PM
As the saying goes, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. For something to be made, something must be lost.

Yep, this is the rationale. Creation and destruction are simply opposite ends of a spectrum, which come from the same cosmic force.