PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Template - Half-Wyrm

Zaetar
2014-10-10, 12:00 AM
Half-wyrm

Half-wyrms are an uncommon breed of lizardfolks, and some believe they are not born so much as made. They are the result of a dangerous ritual. In big lizardfolk settlements, under the temples they do this ritual where they keep a Wyrm Broodmother enslaved. Due to the biological simmilarities between them and the wyrms, they discovered they could link one another to gain more power. During the ritual, the priests take the soul of a wyrm still in its egg and imbue it to the womb of a pregnant lizardfolk, the result is a stronger and larger version of their kind. It's a dangerous ritual that may kill the mother and the child, or once born the child might grow more like a beast than a sentient being.

They are created like this to withstand a training most lizardfolk would not survive, with the objective of turning them into their best warriors, the elite. They have the size and strength of their monstrous parent, as well as a keen instinct for tracking prey and finding their path. This warriors are often sent to fight the dragons that capture their people and burn their settlements, a deadly mission. Some do not agree with this and some mothers may even attempt to escape with their child from that fate. They are prosecuted and slain after being tagged as traitors, but few lucky ones manage to get away and live a new life in a new place.

Those that survive, quickly learn to assert themselves in their adoptive societies. The ones that manage to grow in a good place tend to be kind, while the ones that chose not to attach themselves to a place or group variate from righteous to evil. Some end up in other lizardfolk tribes, some try better luck in other species societies, and others will roam the land as adventurers or travellers. If they chose to stay in one place or with a group of people they might do heavy duty jobs like mining or lumberjacking, join the militia, army, or a band of mercenaries.

Half-wyrms are larger than other lizardfolk. Their general shape doesnt change, though they grow thick spine-like scales on their back, tail and arms. Also, dangerously pointy horns jut from the sides of their heads giving them a menacing look when they stare, well gained reputation after being used to impale their enemies with them, there are not 2 pairs of horns with the same shape.

Creating a Half-wyrm

"Half-wyrm" is an inherited template that can be added to a lizardfolk character.

A half-wyrm uses all the lizardfolk's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The base lizardfolk's type does not change. It gains one size category, becoming Large. The changes in this template are in addition to the changes outlined there.

Speed: All its speeds increase by 10 feet.

Armor Class: The lizardfolk's natural armor bonus improves by +2.

Attacks: It gains a gore attack. When not using weapons, the half-wyrm may attack with its gore at its highest attack value and gaining its full Strength bonus to damage. When using a weapon, a half-minotaur often uses its gore attack as a secondary natural attack.

Damage: The half-wyrm's gore attack deals damage according to its size as shown below.

Size
Gore Damage

Small
1d4

Medium
1d6

Large
1d8

Huge
2d6

Special Qualities: A half-wyrm has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Darkvision (Ex): A half-wyrm has darkvision to a range of 60 feet.

Dragonblood Subtype: Half-wyrms are aswell of the dragonblood subtype. For all effects related to race, a half-wyrm is considered a dragon and a humanoid.

Immunity to Frightful Presence: Half-wyrms are immune to the frightful presence ability of dragons, just as if they were dragons.

Scent (Ex): The half-wyrm inherits a very keen sense of smell. This allows him to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell alone.

Abilities: Change as follows: Str +4, Con +2, Int -2.

Skills: A half-wyrm has a +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.

Feats: A half-wyrm has Track as a bonus feat.

Challenge Rating: +1.

Alignment: Usually neutral.

Level Adjustment: +1.

nonsi
2014-10-10, 04:29 AM
Something's not right here.

Your opening line goes: "Half-wyrms are not that uncommon, and some believe they are not born so much as made. They can be found in large lizardfolk settlements with temples where they realise the mating ritual, a forced cross between a male wyrm and a female lizardfolk."

then, I encounter this:
"Attacks: It gains a gore attack. When not using weapons, the half-minotaur may attack with its gore..."

What is it then, 1/2 Minotaur or 1/2 Dragon?

qazzquimby
2014-10-10, 09:09 AM
Half wyrm, that's a typo because it's adapted from minotaur.

I'd need to check moore thoroughly to be sure, but it looks balanced.
As an alternative or for ideas, could a lizardperson take levels in a dragon monsterclass? You'd get various levels of dragon influence in them.

Zaetar
2014-10-10, 08:09 PM
Ops, sorry about that. But well... any thoughts about the template itself? And well, the idea is to link them with dragons, look at it as some sort of "upgrade". (Or at least that would be my excuse...)

Milo v3
2014-10-10, 09:00 PM
Why doesn't it have anything to do with giving the character a tail, if that was one of the aims. I'd've at least given it a wyvern's stinger attack, a tail slap, bonus to balance and swim checks or something.

Zaetar
2014-10-10, 09:35 PM
Why doesn't it have anything to do with giving the character a tail, if that was one of the aims. I'd've at least given it a wyvern's stinger attack, a tail slap, bonus to balance and swim checks or something.

The aim was to give dragonblood and Large size, I used the half-minotaur template for refference and successfulness.

Try to fulfill the bloodscale fury reqs without using more than 2 races in one character. Then you'll understand. There arent many races with wings or tails. To get them you can get dragonblood and grab one of the feats of 1st lvl and get one of them, but only ONE. and the other?

A wyrm isnt a wyvern, a the template doesnt give a tail it gives horns (lizardfolk already have tail), balance is pointless imo in this case and swim checks... please look at the lizardfolk features.

They already have a lot of things, Im already giving an extra one than the half-minotaur template.

Milo v3
2014-10-10, 09:57 PM
The aim was to give dragonblood and Large size, I used the half-minotaur template for refference and successfulness.
I was going off the first sentance, you know with:

This is something I made after burning my head trying to figure out how to make something with tail, dragonblood and Large size.

Just don't understand why you bother saying that when tails are completely and utterly irrelevant to the template.

A wyrm isnt a wyvern, a the template doesnt give a tail it gives horns (lizardfolk already have tail), balance is pointless imo in this case and swim checks... please look at the lizardfolk features.
Yeah... Severely disliking this tone :smallsigh:
I know wyrms aren't wyverns, but wyverns are dragons and wyrms are dragons and IMO when one of your aims is Tail, I'd generally to actually have that tail ya know Do something. I more mainly just commeting that the tail-ness of it was pointless. Also, if the wyrm part is literal then those are some dumb thousand year olds.

nonsi
2014-10-10, 11:42 PM
And well, the idea is to link them with dragons, look at it as some sort of "upgrade". (Or at least that would be my excuse...)

I don't recall any dragon ever having Gore attack.

Zaetar
2014-10-11, 03:54 AM
I was going off the first sentance, you know with:

Just don't understand why you bother saying that when tails are completely and utterly irrelevant to the template.

Yeah... Severely disliking this tone :smallsigh:
I know wyrms aren't wyverns, but wyverns are dragons and wyrms are dragons and IMO when one of your aims is Tail, I'd generally to actually have that tail ya know Do something. I more mainly just commeting that the tail-ness of it was pointless. Also, if the wyrm part is literal then those are some dumb thousand year olds.

There, fixed. Can we move on to the stats and features?

I don't recall any dragon ever having Gore attack.

Dragons have horns though. Really big and pointy ones.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081013212948/forgottenrealms/images/c/cd/4e_black_dragon.jpg