PDA

View Full Version : The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

barawn
2007-06-19, 11:29 PM
Damian

Damian nods at Tiriel, a look of frustration crossing his face. "I couldn't agree more. No offense, Lissa, but the idea of sleeping surrounded by snow doesn't thrill me."

After Tanner suggests his ... rather unorthodox plan, Damian doesn't look particularly convinced. "That... doesn't make me feel wonderfully safe, either. I'm not exactly at home in the wilderness, but... well, first, we don't know how deep the snow is we're standing on. A wall of fire would melt quite a bit of snow, and that could possibly cause another avalanche, like you said. It could also leave us in a rapidly forming lake. Plus, second, you'd be sending up a beacon for miles - even if it prevented anyone from approaching while it was up, it would still tell some creatures we were here. Plus, not everything hates fire."

Damian sighs, and scans the horizon. "There's got to be a ledge, or a cave, or something we can hide near."

Matticus
2007-06-20, 12:19 AM
Grynde, Half-Elf Ranger

Upon hearing his suggestion, he gives Tanner Gondsman a piercing glare.

You can't make a wall of fire around us!! What's to say none of our group sleepwalk? What if someone needs to urinate during the night, and accidentally walks into a giant flaming wall? No, I really do not think that will work. However, I agree with Damian; Chances are there's a cave or ledge that we could all sleep in tonight.

Surveying their surroundings, he attempt to locate a likely cove for the group to make camp.
Spot Check 13 (6+7)

I don't think food will be a problem, however. Our resident plainsman seems rather capable, and I pride myself on being a good hunter. I'm sure there'd be some goats around here, maybe a few birds haven't forsaken the area. They wouldn't be difficult to catch.

(OOC: Did I mentioned I *beeeeeep*ing hate Overwrite?)

Naleh
2007-06-20, 04:50 AM
Retay, human barbarian

"Oh, there are plenty of things to hunt up here." I hope. "You just have to know how to find them." Which I probably don't.

Retay too takes a good look around, hoping to find some sort of shelter.
[roll0] if Spot is appropriate. If Survival would be better, the mod's +11

elliott20
2007-06-20, 10:08 AM
Olfacht

Should have just stayed in the city... he mutters underneath his own breath.

While his exterior is calm and quiet, in his head, he continues to whine and moan about his predicament:

Could have been a journeyman, could have been a master perfume maker... but NOOOOOO~~ had to go out and see the world... could have been working in an almond scented lab over a good cup of tea... but NOO~~~ just had to come out here... I hate nature, so. so. much...

Darius
2007-06-20, 11:45 AM
Tanner Gondsman - armored human

After Damian speaks against his suggestion, Tanner says, "Let me get this straight...you don't want anyone to see where we are and rescue us?" Tanner starts laughing at the idea when Grynde chimes in. Tanner listens still smiling and says, "Perhaps I should explain the gift of Gond to which I speak. Only one side of the wall is hot - the other is completely safe. I can shape it into a ring or into a normal wall. Either is about 20 feet high. If I made it into a small ring, it could act like a bonfire that wouldn't require any fuel except that of my faith. If I had made it bigger, it could provide us with protection should we need it. I would need to ferry us into the center, but it could work."

He looks at Grynde still smiling, "I am not sure if you heard when I said that I do not require sleep. I would not allow one of you to get too close to the wall if you did sleep walk. As for needing to make water, you would be free to do so in privacy," Tanner makes a motion out into the wilderness. "Plus, not everyone can see in the dark, and it would provide those with light enough to see."

"As for a cave, I would think that such a place fit to house us may be an option, but I would gather that all sorts of creatures like bears would be using it. We could easily kill such creatures which would provide us with meat, and I could help tan the hides, but I thought our goal was to get out of this situation and back to civilization and not go spelunking."

At that, Tanner flips his cloak which seems to move of its own accord, and he begins to rise into the air. "If it is a cave you seek, then I shall get an aerial view." Tanner continues to rise into the air, and he begins to survey the area.

[roll0]
[roll1] - to help find a place where a cave might be

barawn
2007-06-20, 11:56 AM
Damian

Damian shakes his head as Tanner rises into the air, and mutters under his breath for those around to hear, waiting until Tanner is out of earshot. "If I thought anyone was randomly passing by to rescue us, sure. But if they were, they're probably buried under tons of snow. If anything's out here, it's not likely to give us a hand."

He glances around at the others as Tanner surveys the area. "I'm sure his heart's in the right place, but I don't plan on being anywhere near a wall of fire in the middle of a snowfield primed for an avalanche. We've already survived one disaster. I don't plan on relying on luck a second time."

Matticus
2007-06-21, 12:41 AM
Grynde, Arrogant Jerk/Half-Elf

He watches Tanner rise into the air, a little jealously, but also with a smug grin planted upon his face.

He knows little of angles, eh? Foolish human. If he goes high into the air, then an entrance to a cave will become hidden. Gah, forget it.

I think we should resolve this. There's not an awful lot of good ground to sleep on, whether surrounded by a large flaming deathtrap or not, and I don't think it would protect us from all the elements. It would be much easier to simply find a cave and make a fire at the entrance, rather than have a massive wall around us.

(OOC: I also think we should resolve this damn thing, there's been about twenty posts on the subject)

Naleh
2007-06-21, 03:09 AM
Retay, human barbarian

Retay's eyes bulge when Tanner begins to rise. Although he was used to magic, men spontaneously taking flight was something new. "W-w-what? H-how?" he said, craning his neck to keep watching the flying cleric.

Eventually, overcoming his shock, the barbarian suggests something of a compromise. "Well, a cave would probably be better. Natural shelter. No chance of the rock losing its concentration! Your wall of fire could guard the cave entrance, and even if it should fail, it would be a defendable position. And caves don't melt." Yeah, like mountains don't fall on people?

Dr._Bob
2007-06-21, 08:35 AM
The armored human, Tanner, floats upward into the air. The dramatic display of his powers amazes some and annoys others. Tiriel smirks and rolls her eyes for Katrin's benefit, the two of them sharing a private joke.

Ulmarek's unconventional idea of creating a snow shelter seems feasible, particularly if Tanner lends his fire controlling abilities to help melt the snow, but in the end, most of the more experienced members of the party seem suspicious of this radical idea and instead recommend simply finding good old-fashioned shelter in a cave if possible.

Norgold, Damian, Retay, and the two rangers, Grynde and Adalmar, fan out across the snow. The occasional scraggly pine trees offer little in the way of promising shelter, but before the sun sets, Grynde has found an outcropping of rock that looks large enough to perhaps be useful.

Although there is no cave per se, the group is able to dig away the snow at the base of the outcropping to create a makeshift shelter.

Norgold uses Retay's axe to fell a pair of evergreens. Their trunks and branches are used to create a primitive lean-to of sorts against the rock overhang.

The shelter isn't large, but it looks like the close quarters will help conserve body heat in any case. Those with food generously share them with the others who are without.

In the hour or so before nightfall, some of the survivors quickly survey the area looking for potential game. Unfortunately, this snow-covered plain appears to be barren, without even tracks of small game.

The moon rises on the horizon, waning and no longer full. Almost immediately, Katrin drops off to sleep, seemingly even more exhausted than everyone else. Some survivors quietly meditate or pray.

Olfacht mutters to himself under his breath. His nostrils flare as the musty odors of sweat, damp fur, and pine needles mingle inside the shelter. Khazrael sings a quiet tune, grooming the feathers in his hair, and seeming surprisingly cheerful considering the circumstances. Tryntha, the Rashemi woman, also maintains a positive demeanor, though one wonders whether this is just a brave front put on for everyone else's benefit.

"Who will keep watch?", Desmona asks.

elliott20
2007-06-21, 09:40 AM
Olfacht

Without even acknowledging the question, he turns his face to the wall and tries to catch some sleep.

Something makes it difficult for him to relax though. He didn't notice it before in the open but somebody here actually smells kind of nice. If only he can identify who it was... meh, oh well.

barawn
2007-06-21, 10:09 AM
Damian

Damian glances around at the primitive lean-to, crowded with the mass of survivors. A brief smirk crosses his face, almost nostalgic. A dozen-plus people crowded in a tiny living area, scraping for food and heat. Never thought I'd be back here again.

"Well, with this large a group, we don't need everyone to keep watch. I can take the first few hours. I'm used to little sleep."

In what seems almost a reflex, he pats himself down, checking the locations of various items on his body before slumping down onto the ground. He looks over to Khazrael. "You asked us why we were out here, if memory serves. Care to answer the same question? I'm assuming those of you who weren't with the caravan were traveling together, right?"

Diarmuid
2007-06-21, 10:20 AM
Tryntha

The squabbling among the group was worrisome to the Rashemi healer. A lack of leadership could lead to ruin, but she did not feel confident enough in her understanding of foreign ways to try to step into that role. While the flaming wall idea had some merit, she silently echoed the others' words in preferring a more mundane sort of shelter. She was also suspicious of how this man of Gond was able to manifest his magics over such long periods of time, and didnt truly trust it to keep the group safe and warm throughout the evening.

When word of an acceptable place to rest reached her, Tryntha relaxed visibly. Once the group congregated there, she cast a spell that conjures breads, cheeses, dried meats, and water enough for the whole group and then some (sustenance for 21 people for 24 hours is created).

"The food is simple and bland, but I can guarantee it will nourish you properly. Any excess will begin to decay in about a day, but I can cast another spell to keep it fresh tomorrow. If anyone has any lingering pains I have plenty of healing magics left for the day. Also, I have two spells to protect people from the elements if anyone has a need, and will prepare more in the morning."

Koji
2007-06-21, 01:08 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael avoids the conjured food, preferring the half-frozen trail rations. The one detail aside, he remains amicable towards his new acquaintences.

"We're trying to keep ahead of the army that's currently swallowing the Great Dale. We gotta reach the Iron Lord before it overtakes Rashemen, I guess."

He looks around as he says this, trying to read anyone's reaction to his statement.

elliott20
2007-06-21, 01:58 PM
Olfacht

"Who?"

barawn
2007-06-21, 02:55 PM
Damian

"There's an army headed this way?" The dark-clad human perks up dramatically at that word, leaning forward towards Khazrael. "Do you know any details about it? What kind of soldiers, what their goal is? Who their opponent is?"

An army, huh? Little did I know there was an incipient war in this area. Could be good money involved! Maybe that tip wasn't so bad...

"Sorry, that was a bit rapid-fire. I'm a bit eager to find work again, after the avalanche disaster."

Koji
2007-06-21, 05:03 PM
Khazrael

"They're demons and drow, and some undead, I think. My time observing them was mostly spent desperately running away or fighting for my life, so forgive me if my description is a little vague."

Vague? Yeah right, I probably know some of them.

"There were more than I could count, and they moved fast. I had trouble outpacing an entire army, and I move fast. They're not a bulky siege machine, they're not raiders, and they're not here to occupy. They're something more like a pure, destructive force. They waste no time, and there'll nobody to stand up to them if we don't do something."

Maybe they're coming for me, too.

Darius
2007-06-21, 07:58 PM
Tanner Gondsman - armored human

Having missed all the baleful glances and speech towards him, Tanner does not think anything is amiss at camp. He maintains watch until Khazrael speaks about the approaching army. Tanner turns and says, "By Gond! An army you say? Yes, Khazrael, something must be done. Although I am not a coward, I am not sure if our band is the one that could turn back such an army - especially in our current state. Since my suggestions seem to be foolish, I shall leave it up to others to decide - but I see little we can do other than warn the Iron Lord. I am not one to abandon you, but since I have the capacity to fly - perhaps I should do so to warn Immilmar and then return with help?"

Thargor
2007-06-21, 08:47 PM
Norgold

"With this big a group we can afford a double watch and still let everyone get enough sleep. If there are enough volunteers I'll join you on first watch. Else wake me in a few hours and I'll take the second."

That settled Norgold digs through his pack for the heavy blanket buried beneath the rest of his supplies. Rapped warmly and chewing on the last bit of dried meat from dinner he waits for the rest of the party to sort itself out. Khazrael's comment destroys the temporary peacefulness.

"What!?"

He listens as Khazrael began outlining a more and more dire situation. I've been sitting in Taporan while a war destroyed most of the Great Dale. Helm protect us. Who could be powerful enough to hold an army of demons, drow, and undead together? On that point, to what end if all they do is destroy? Damian's response triggered a look of disgust, the whole war might fit well with Norgold's plans as well, but he wasn't callous enough to rejoice at the news. Addressing himself to Tanner,

"If you can get the news there sooner you should go, we aren't likely to starve. Our Rashemi companions can probably give you directions that you can follow from the air."

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-21, 09:31 PM
Desmona

Army...Great Dale...heading this way...warning the Iron Lord...

Cormyr!

Desmona kneels in front of Khazrael. "This army you speak of...tell me, it did not cross through Cormyr, did it? What news is there of the people of Cormyr?"

Desmona trembles slightly, fearing the worst for her people.

OOC: Sorry for taking so long to post again. Honestly didn't know what to do. Got put into a leadership role considering I'm a damn fighter with low Charisma. @.@

barawn
2007-06-21, 09:53 PM
Damian

"Don't be too rash. Getting there is one thing. Convincing them is another, and you haven't seen the army. They have."

Damian peers to the entrance of the leanto, out to the rapidly approaching cold. "Plus, I don't doubt your confidence, but it's still a dangerous trip on your own. I think it's more important that we get them," as he nods to Khazrael, Lissa, Adalmar, Tiriel, and Achkby, "to Immilmar."

Damian nods over towards Tiriel. "Speaking of which, if I've got my names straight... she mentioned someone before who isn't here." His burrow frows as he searches his memory. "Callos? Wasn't it? What happened to him?"

(OOC: see reference here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2765761&postcount=499). Damian's a careful listener.)

Matticus
2007-06-22, 12:41 AM
Grynde, Half-Elf

An army?? Of demons and drow? The undead???

He swears very loudly in elvish.

That's...Not good. Drow...Insult to elves everywhere......

Turning to Tryntha;

My leg has been aching since, well, a mountain fell on us. If you could help...

Dr._Bob
2007-06-22, 09:02 AM
The survivors gather together to hear Khazrael and Adalmar tell of the blitzkrieg sweeping the East. Some refuse to believe the tales - a combined army of demons and drow allied with the undead sweeping through the Great Dale and Thesk in the middle of winter? It seems hard to comprehend ...

Desmona desperately asks for word from the West. She is horrified to learn of the fall of Myth Drannor, which bodes ill for all of the free peoples of the West. Of Cormyr's fate specifically there is no word.

Katrin and Tiriel remain tight-lipped about their exact mission, but it is clear that they believe that the Iron Lord must be warned and that the Armies of the North must be assembled, lest the entire East falls to the forces of the Baneson and Sethra, the necromancer reborn ...

Tanner volunteers to fly to Immilmar himself, but others warn him that travel alone, even by air, might be perilous. As if to reinforce this sentiment, a cry pierces the moonlit night - a scream from high above. After a few minutes the cry is answered by others. Nocturnal birds of prey, perhaps?

Diarmuid
2007-06-22, 09:23 AM
Tryntha

The Rashemi woman's eyes go wide at the description of the army and it's destructive path, and it's apparent intended path through her homeland.

"This...this is horrible. When we reach Immilmar I will do everything I can to make sure you are brought before the Iron Lord immediately."

She seems quite shaken at the news of this threat.

Wordlessly she casts a healing spell on the half-elf's leg.

[roll0]

suffice to say, tryntha likely has enough healing to heal everyone to full hit points.

barawn
2007-06-22, 09:28 AM
Damian

Before Tiriel can answer Damian's question, the sharp scream causes him to leap to his feat, quickly drawing two daggers in a smooth motion. "That didn't sound pleasant." He quickly walks over to the edge of the evergreen trees forming the simple lean-to, and peers upwards, his eyes squinting against the darkness.

Beh. Not like I can see anything in this dark...

After a brief moment, he pulls his head back in and whispers to the others. "Anyone with better eyes than me, I could use the help. Unless one of our spellcasters can cast a spell to let me see in the dark."

Well, if I feel anything this way, we're in trouble. But might as well...

While looking to the others, his grey eyes flare with a blue light, which fades leaving his eyes a normal blue afterwards. Peering outside, he scans the skies for the source of the noise, and his arcane sense searches for a telltale sign of a magical aura...

Detect Magic, second time (1/day remaining)

barawn
2007-06-22, 09:31 AM
Damian

(OOC: beh, dice roller fudged on me. Not that it matters much.)

[roll0]

elliott20
2007-06-22, 10:55 AM
Olfacht

That sounds pleasant. But if I may, I don't think we're exactly equiped to fight an army with our handful of survivors and very much limited rations. Let's not kid ourselves here, we're a caravan full of travelers, not a military unit.

If you want to help, the best we can do is relay the message to the Iron Lord and have him rally his armies and allies to action rather then have us get rolled over by an unholy army.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-22, 11:20 AM
Faluil, lightly armored wood elf

A quiet wood elf stands and draws his longbow when the shriek from above disturbs the night air and readies an arrow. He scans the night sky and tries to recognize the sound.

This is to see what he can see see see.
[roll0]
This is to recognize the shriek as either a natural creature or an unnatural one. if it's natural, he also wants to know if it's dangerous.
1d20+7

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-22, 11:22 AM
OOC: Dammit...stupid forum problems. Let's try that Knowledge (trees and such) again.

[roll0]

Thargor
2007-06-22, 12:33 PM
Norgold

His whole body goes tense at the sudden shriek. Carefully easing his blanket off his shoulders and onto the snow, Norgold rose to a crouch within the cramped shelter. He unhooks a chain from his belt using one hand to keep the links from clanking. With nothing left to prepare he stares out past the covering evergreens into the moonlight, and waits.

[roll0]
Not sure how big a penalty to apply, not really expecting to see anything anyways.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-22, 02:33 PM
Desmona

She was shocked beyond her imagination. Myth Drannor, the great city of Cormyr's elven allies was gone. Razed to ruins by this massive army that had broken out of its incredible barrier.

And if that was the fate of Myth Drannor, then her beloved Cormyr which she loved more than her own life could possibly be in danger - no, it could even already be occupied, or worse. Her father and mother...her two younger sisters...what had happened to them all?

Her emotional crisis was put onto the backburner of her mind as a screeching wail pierces the silence of the night.

"Tanner, you stay put - EVERYONE GET BACK IN THE LEAN-TO!" Desmona orders, surprising all those near her. "I don't care that you defend yourself if need be, but unless they attack us first, we'll leave the birds to their own doing. Now, I'll take first watch with one other person, who doesn't need continuous sleep for spells. Any takers?"

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-22, 02:35 PM
OOC: Sorry about the Double, wanted to roll for Intimidate:

[roll0]

barawn
2007-06-22, 03:01 PM
Damian

With Desmona's sharp cry, Damian turns and glares at her, his now-blue eyes narrowed in anger. He quickly, but silently, walks over to her, his gaze forceful, and his voice stern, but quiet. "Keep your voice down! If there is anything out there, you're just going to make it worse. I'm not going anywhere, and I won't let anyone wander around out there, but I am not going to sit here and hope it was just a harmless bird."

"And do not give me orders like that. If you want to give me orders, hire me. But right now I'll follow you out of respect, not authority. And get your emotions in check. You don't know what's happened to your loved ones. Worrying about them will just get you killed. Assume the best for now. Find out later."

Damian glances around at the others. "Like I said. If anyone has a spell to let me see in the dark, I'd appreciate it." With that, he shakes his head slightly and walks back to the edge of the lean-to, peering out.

[roll0] (turnabout's fair play, Desmona)

Naleh
2007-06-22, 04:11 PM
Retay, human barbarian

The barbarian eats the magically-created food without question. No need to waste food.

Retay listens to the story without much interest, having never heard of the places mentioned. At the screech from above, however, he leaps to his feet, greataxe in his hands.

Uncharacteristically, he gives an order. "Quiet, both of you!" he whispers at Desmona and Damian, even though the latter was quiet. "If there's something out there, don't let it know we're here. And yes, it obviously knows we're here thanks to your yelling, but it might not yet know we're here here."

Retay stands tensely, staring into the dark sky, his hands gripping his greataxe, his teeth clenched in an almost animal snarl. At this moment, his barbarian origin is obvious.

"I'll join you on watch."

Can't seem to get the board diceroller to work, so I'll just post some mods in case they're needed.
Intimidate a measely +2, although Retay's not really trying to intimidate them, just to get them to shut up
Spot +3 to see any threats
Listen +4 to hear any threats
Knowledge (nature) +5 to identify the creature if applicable

Koji
2007-06-22, 04:23 PM
Khazrael

The piercing screech sets him to crouching low. His eyes turn skyward and his hands splay out in preparation for spellcasting.

Darius
2007-06-23, 09:29 AM
Tanner Gondsman

As he is about to reply to the 'vote' on whether he should stay or go to Immilmar, the shriek pierces the air. It takes conscious effort to not open his fire hand to prepare to throw a ball of fire, but he manages to not do so. He knows that the flame would illuminate them and reveal their position, so Tanner chooses not to do so. "Looks like our food problems may be solved..." Tanner begins to say.

Then, the fighting breaks out. Not against an outward foe, but against the worst kind...ego. Already not in good standing with the others, Tanner stays out of the Alpha selection process thinking to himself, I don't even think the army needs to worry about us, we'll likely kill each other for them. Tanner then scans the sky with his darkvision.

[roll0]

blackfox
2007-06-23, 03:00 PM
Katrin

Katrin wakes up blearily at the bird screeching overhead. "What's going on?" She takes a minute to figure out the situations and listen in on people's conversations, then gets up from her bedroll, her hand on her sword hilt. "I can see well in the dark, let me take a look."

Katrin has low-light vision.
Spot Check (1d20+12=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1117769)

Dr._Bob
2007-06-23, 03:47 PM
Even those with mere human vision are able to make out the dark forms circling overhead in the moonlight.

Some of you with keener eyes are able to recognize the birds as large carrion crows. They keep their distance but appear to be patiently waiting, as though they know something that the rest of you don't ...

There is a faint groaning or creaking noise audible in the distance. The birds continue to caw overhead, but this new noise seems to be coming from underneath the ground ...

namo
2007-06-23, 03:56 PM
Adalmar

He has been mostly friendly with the newcomers, offering his name and his origin - the Great Dale - when asked. At the same time, he seems a little defensive - perhaps that has to do with tiredness ? His slightly bloodshot eyes and uneven beard attest that he has seen better days.

When the noise gets closer, he wearily prepares to fight if needed, his thoughts plain on his face : What is it going to be this time ?

barawn
2007-06-23, 04:59 PM
Damian

"They're circling. Waiting for something..." The grumbling from below causes Damian's eyes to open wide. He rapidly starts scanning the area for a hiding place, and turns quickly to the others. "Get up! Something's coming!"

Koji
2007-06-23, 05:07 PM
Khazrael

The rumbling calls to mind images of burrowing umber hulks and other creatures of the Underdark, and Khazrael's mind works rapidly to get to safety. He casts his glance to the outcropping the group camps around and mutters a few odd-sounding words. He hunches forward and his knees bow out, his body changing to accomodate the spell he weaves. He scrambles up the snowy rocks and perches atop them.

((OOC: Casting an extended spider climb and climbing to the top of the rocks))

Naleh
2007-06-23, 06:47 PM
Retay, human barbarian

The barbarian knows what circling birds means, but seems relatively unfazed. He shifts his gaze downward, looking for the source of the groaning.

Without a word, Retay places his greataxe on the ground - the handle leaning against his leg for easy retrieval - then reaches behind his back to the pack he still hasn't taken off and takes out a shortbow and quiver. It seems slightly odd how quickly he finds them, without any rummaging.

He silently readies the bow, staring out into the darkness.

As much for my own reference as anyone else's . . .
If Retay sees anything living (or undead or a construct for that matter), and it's within good shooting range, he'll fire. He'll continue to shoot it until it gets within 40 feet or so; then he'll drop his bow, grab his greataxe, and close for melee (charging if possible).

Matticus
2007-06-23, 07:51 PM
Bond. James Bond. ...I mean Grynde.

Looking out into the sky, he sees the birds circling.
Swearing in Elvish, he draws one of his shortswords.

Quickly!! Something is definitely wrong. Anyone who can, make some fire. Anyone with a bow, ready it. Draw your weapons!! I have a very bad feeling...

If there's nothing at all wrong, I'm going to look like a real fool.

Drawing his other shortsword, he gets into a fighting stance, legs well apart, tense, ready to throw himself in any direction, and to slash at any danger with his swords.

Thargor
2007-06-23, 09:12 PM
Norgold

Perfect, just as were about to get into a fight someone has challenge authority. Between the rumbling and the circling crows stealth was starting to seem irrelevant. Standing Norgold positioned himself in front of the shelter, chain hanging ready in one hand. His other hand went to his belt pouch and rested on one of the remaining potions within, in case it would be needed.

Can anyone light this place up a bit? It obviously knows where we are already.

Naleh
2007-06-23, 10:29 PM
Retay, human barbarian

"If you insist." Without moving his eyes, Retay eases the arrow out of his bow in order to reach into his pack and somehow pull out a torch, already burning. The lean-to is flooded with light. "I like to be prepared," he mutters, barely audible above the strange creaking. He tucks the torch into his belt, so he can use his bow again. The flame continues to burn happily.

barawn
2007-06-23, 10:34 PM
Damian

Bows. Right. Good idea. Get ahold of yourself, Damian.

Slipping his daggers back into his belt, he draws his crossbow, and loads a bolt in. Glancing around the area around the leanto, he focuses on a concealed area near the downed tree, and quietly slips out of sight, scanning the horizon for movement.

[roll0] (assuming he can find a spot to hide)

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-24, 12:01 AM
Faluil

The moon elf shifts his attention instantly to the groaning, nocking two arrows in his bow. In a calm and clear, yet commanding, voice he says

There's no reason to immediately assume this is an enemy. We should determine exactly what's going on before we jump to conclusions.

[roll0]
Looking for anything strange on the ground, and scanning for movement

Thargor
2007-06-24, 01:01 AM
Norgold

Without turning around or relaxing his stance Norgold lets out a tense laugh.

"Ha... Anything with a long enough history of violence to have carrion birds herald its arrival is bad news for us."

Matticus
2007-06-24, 01:43 AM
Grynde, Edgy Elf-Supremist.

Of course it's bad, what do they think? Can't they hear the rumbling? Bloody half-breed, more human than elf...

Anyone who is not particularly adept at fighting should get further to the back of the lean-to. I think fire is a very good idea here.

Completely tense, he bites his lower lip.

Something just isn't right...

Koji
2007-06-24, 04:31 AM
Khazrael

On the edge of the firelight, Khazrael takes on a new look. His sharp, perfect teeth seem overlong and jagged, the saliva making them catch the flickering luminescence. He looks to Norgold and grins at his comment.

The young man's eyes are black, save for a small highlight--the thin layer of moisture reflects the light of the campfire back--and he speaks. His breath floats past his curled lips as a thin white vapor and rises into the night air.

"The birds will be surprised to find that tonight, they feast upon their provider."

blackfox
2007-06-24, 09:38 AM
Katrin

Katrin dashes back to her pack and retrieves her everburning torch and crossbow. She tosses the torch towards the group of people at the front of the outcropping, knowing it will do no harm, loads her crossbow, and moves back towards the front. Those things are huge... and I'm not sure I like what that says about whatever they intend to feed on.

kuja.girl
2007-06-24, 04:24 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel glances at Katrine before she ducks outside the lean-to. The rumbling in the ground worries her more than the crows, however large they may be.

Drawing her sword, Tiriel moves to a relativity open area near the shelter prepares for the worse.
Though what could be worse than undead, drow, vampires, and fish-monsters, I have no idea.

(ooc: the site hosting my character sheets is down right now, hopefully it'll come back soon as my paper copies are old and packed away...)

Dr._Bob
2007-06-24, 04:38 PM
Damian wakes the sleeping survivors while Tiriel, Katrin, Faluil, Norgold, and Retay fan out in front of the shelter, weapons at the ready. Both Katrin and Retay have everburning torches that illuminate the area immediately in front of the rock outcropping.

Grynde, Damian, Desmona, and Adalmar form a second defensive line, half-in and half-outside the lean-to, their backs to the solid stone.

Between the torches, the moonlight, and the reflective snow cover, there appears to be a clear line of sight in 180 degrees in front of the protective boulders. The scraping, grinding noise gets louder - it is definitely getting closer - but what is creating it?

Khazrael clambers up the sheer rock face until he is perched at the top of the outcropping, about 20 feet above. Illuminated from below, the gangly feather-headed human looks something like a monster himself ... a gargoyle perhaps.

Cocking his head, he gazes outward from his vantage point, looking for the source of the rumbling. At first he sees nothing ... then he notes a rippling in the distance. The icy crust is being distorted by something moving underneath its surface. The wake creates a beeline directly towards the shelter's position. Whatever is creating it is large and moving quickly ...

Koji
2007-06-25, 02:06 AM
Khazrael

"It's burrowed underground, moving right for us! Get out of the way or get ready to get hit!"

He points in its general direction and clings to the rock tightly.

Matticus
2007-06-25, 02:59 AM
Grynde, half-elf

Upon hearing Khazrael's cry, his eyebrows crease in worry.

Burrowing? Underground?

BURROWING!!! UNDERGROUND!! Crap!!!

Suddenly at a complete loss as to what to do, he stands, still tense, but shaking with nerves.

blackfox
2007-06-25, 07:38 AM
Katrin

Katrin, too, is somewhat shaken by Khazrael's announcement. Although she had heard of a creature that could burrow like this before, she had never seen one or experienced its attack. If what she had heard was correct, even accounting for the exaggeration that usually comes with tall tales, this creature could easily snap her in half. She quickly stows her crossbow in her pack and scans the rock outcropping for handholds and footholds she can use to pull herself up.

(OOC: If is likely Katrin will fall by climbing quickly (accelerated climbing, Climb modifier reduced to +5) then she will move well out of the way to the side instead and retrieve her crossbow from her Handy Haversack.

Diarmuid
2007-06-25, 08:50 AM
Tryntha

Pushing down the lump in her throat, she overcomes her fear enough to know that she will likely be in the way of the fighting. Taking a few steps back but staying close enough for her spell to effect as many of the group as possible, Tryntha begins a spell, asking for the land of her home to bless these people with it's protection and to help them overcome these obstacles so they can deliver their dire message to the Iron Lord.

Tryntha casts Bless.

Each ally gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Giving thanks for the enchantment, she moves further back and begins looking on the ground for small stones until she has three she considers acceptable.

Cupping the stones in her hand, she again prays for these stones to fly straight and true in striking down any who would threaten those who wish no harm to Rashemi.

Tryntha casts Magic Stone.

Dr._Bob
2007-06-25, 09:16 AM
Katrin recalls the bulettes she had seen harnessed to wagons in the Underdark when she, Tiriel, and Si'rene had first left Velprintalar on their journey under the Sea of Fallen Stars. She feels a pang of sadness, remembering the loss of her gray elf friend. She also remembers that Lumpy was a part of that caravan. The hardy half-orc must have finally run out of his nine lives, and presumably now lies buried under tons of snow back at the Running Rocks.

She has no time for more than a second or two of introspection, however, for in a matter of moments, the monster has arrived ...

Khazrael's warning causes quite a stir. Some survivors snarl and grip their weapons with additional intensity. Others abandon their weapons and start to try futilely to climb up the icy, sheer rock face with their bare hands. (Katrin quickly realizes that she doesn't have enough time to climb, and instead she retrieves her crossbow and moves off to one side.) A few simply stand still, too surprised or terrified to move ...

The monster breaches the surface of the snow about 30 feet from the shelter. It is a giant white worm with a pair of fearsome mandibles. The creature is as thick as a massive tree trunk and probably 40 or 50 feet long.

On its first pass, it severs an unlucky member of the caravan in half completely. (Norgold recognizes him as the man who helped untangle him from the crumpled wagon ...) Steaming dark blood sprays across the white snow, as the two halves of the unfortunate man's body tumble to the ground ...

Panicking, survivors scatter in all directions across the icy ground ...

OOC: You can make your own attacks if you wish (preferably using the GitP roller). The monster is huge and has AC 18 (touch 8).

barawn
2007-06-25, 10:01 AM
Damian

Hidden off to the side of the leanto, Damian waits until the worm closes within 30', and then fires his crossbow at the mind-numbingly huge beast, hopefully placing his shot well. Let this shot strike true... if my guess is right, white creature, snow environment, I'm gonna guess he's well adapted to the cold.

His thoughts drift down to the chain of holy symbols on his belt. They were never more than tokens before, simply conduits to aid the magical powers he could take from others. Their crude construction testified to that fact. He never gave much thought to the gods, or religion. He had always made his own way.

The corpse lying a stone's throw from him made him question the wisdom of that approach. Just for a moment.

[roll0] (+1 from the Bless)
Assuming it hits, and assuming I'm hidden, sacrifice 1d6 sneak attack to take resistance to cold (worm loses nothing, as he's immune, and I gain cold resistance 10 for 1 minute)
[roll1]
[roll2]

(OOC: crud. Great time to roll a two. Well, never mind all that, then!)

Damian swears as the shot flies well wide. That's what I get for lamenting my lack of faith. His cover at this spot well blown, he drops his crossbow and moves from this position, circling to the side of the giant worm, staying about fifteen feet away. Hopefully, one of the others will move in on the other side to distract the worm. In a moment, more direct action might be necessary. The two daggers that slip into his hands gleam with anticipation.

OOC summary:
Shoot, miss, yay. Drop crossbow, move to within 15' of a flanking position, hopefully. Draw daggers.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-25, 10:07 AM
Faluil

The moon elf's bow twangs as he looses the two arrows that he had nocked. Without stopping to see if they hit, he turns and yells at his horse to get away.

Attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2] +4 (favored enemy, sorry) Total = 8
[roll3] +4 Total = 8

Koji
2007-06-25, 02:43 PM
Khazrael

The gentle tinkling of silver on silver surrounds Khazrael as his hands weave in an intricate dance. A single word sparks the energy within and a blue-white bolt of lightning streaks from his hands toward the worm.

He pants as the bolt streaks away. His hands shake and his vision starts to lose focus.

Already?

((OOC: Initiative Check 1d20+1=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1120423)

Reflex DC 16 for lightning bolt.
6d6=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1120424)

Knowledge (Arcana) roll:
1d20+2=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1120447)

I will try to take cover behind the rock face or stay out of sight as best I can))

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-25, 04:58 PM
"Holy-" Desmona draws her spiked chain and runs along the side of the huge worm, thrusting it at the beast's flank from a distance.

"Everyone, scatter and hit it from all sides!" Desmona shouts out, her chain whirling in her grasp.

Desmona will keep her distance from the worm using the full reach of her spiked chain. Next turn if it's within ranged she'll use her flurry of strikes ability (Three attacks at +10/+10/+5) to hit it harder.

Rolling attack: [roll0]
Damage from attack if it succeeds: [roll1]

kuja.girl
2007-06-25, 09:29 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel feels the bottom of her stomach drop out from under her as she watches the white worm rise from the snow. It really wasn't all that long ago that she, Katrine, Si'rene, Trinark, and the lizard-man druid had almost been killed by a similar monster.

Well, at least this one's only got one head, she thinks to herself as she starts preparing for a long, hard, fight.

Tiriel casts Aid on herself, assuming that she is not w/in reach of the worm.
new HP = 45 + [roll0]
AC = 20
+2 morale bonus on attack rolls (+1 from bless, +1 from aid)
+2 to saves vs fear effects (+1 from bless, +1 from aid)

Thargor
2007-06-25, 10:38 PM
Norgold

He was so quite before the avalanche. I didn't even know his name. Norgold watches as his one time savior is killed instantly. Then the plight of the rest of the group takes over. Glancing over his shoulder at those huddled in the cave he pulls a potion from his belt pouch and downs it in a single swallow. Loosing a battle cry the normally slight Norgold grows a good four feet taller. His muscles bulge and the snow sags taking on his increased weight. Taking two steps forward he once again plants himself in front of the shelter as if challenging to beast to try and pass.

Potion of enlarge person +2 str -2 dex -1 atk -1 AC +1 size category. Moved to within 20ft so that it is within reach. If it makes another move toward the cave Norgold will use his aoo for a trip attempt, if tripping has any meaning for a worm, else just a normal attack.

not sure if this is right but rolling in advance to speed things up
[roll0]
[roll1]
or
[roll2]

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-25, 10:52 PM
Eeep!

I forgot my initiative too.

[roll0]

barawn
2007-06-25, 11:05 PM
Damian

Edits because of stupidity (note that previous post is updated too):

[roll0]

Edits from previous post: I forgot to say Damian drops the crossbow, and pulls out his two daggers (hence the 'direct action next time'). And that 30'? Should be 15'. Sorry, still remembering the way Damian works (and remembering the way Tumble works).

Naleh
2007-06-26, 12:06 AM
Retay, human worm food

Entirely forgetting his bow, Retay stares at the creature rising out of the snow before him. ...Not quite the sort of adventure I was planning for.

He averts his eyes as one of their members is sliced cleanly in half. Gods that thing is quick! Oh, gods, I don't stand a chance...

He looses his arrow futilely and swaps to his greataxe, preparing for a hard battle. The message echoes around his head: You don't stand a chance... You're useless, absolutely useless...

Hope this works...
[roll0]
[roll1] EDIT: +1 from Bless
[roll2]
Hmm. I can get the diceroller to work now, but a 16 ain't so useful...

Matticus
2007-06-26, 02:08 AM
Grynde, scared little elf

Dumbstruck at the size of the worm, he practically drops his swords, but forces himself back to reality. Readying himself, one sword hanging loosely at his side, the other held horizontally at chest height.
Daringly, he launches himself forward and past the worm, slashing at it with both swords.

[roll0]
Attack...Er...I get three...
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Critical Check here (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121206)

I Do Not Like This Dice Roller. :smallfurious:
Damage...
[roll4] (Critical hit, so, x2.)
[roll5]
[roll6]

He charges forward and past worm, slashing at it on the way, and then runs to the opposite side of the area as to where he started from. And if he actually worshipped a god he'd be praying right now.

Dr._Bob
2007-06-26, 08:59 AM
Tiriel places a hand over her heart, closing her eyes for a moment. When she opens them, she fixes her eyes on the giant worm and draws her longsword, which bursts into flame ...

Damian, Faluil, and Retay pepper the enormous worm with arrows and crossbow bolts to little effect. Despite its size, the worm writhes and whips around surprisingly quickly, making it hard to draw a bead on it. Damian and Retay drop their ranged weapons and ready a pair of daggers and a greataxe respectively.

Dancing just out of range of the worm's snapping mandibles, Desmona whirls a spiked chain, trying to hold the worm at bay.

Grynde, seeing an opening, dashes in and his keen shortsword opens up a long gash in the worm's belly. Before he can escape, however, the worm twists and manages to gore the half-elf. Grynde's studded leather tears like tissue paper. The split second of contact chills Grynde to the bone, even as blood begins to pour down his side.

Downing a potion, Norgold doubles in size. His spiked chain also grows proportionally, and the now-massive chain howls as he spins it overhead. Norgold attempts to tangle the worm in its steel links, but the worm twists away, almost pulling the chain out of his hands.

CCRRAAAACKK!!!! Khazrael blasts the worm with a lightning bolt from up above. The monster rears back in pain, screeching in agony. The unnatural cry echoes into the night, freezing many of the scattering survivors in their tracks ...

OOC: Tiriel buffs. Retay misses. Damian misses. Faluil misses with one arrow and hits with a second for 8 points. Desmona hits for 7 points. Grynde crits for 12 points. The worm hits Grynde with an AoO (hitting AC 28) for 27 points. Norgold grows and attempts to trip the worm. Khazrael hits with a lightning bolt for 22 points.

The worm trills ... Everyone needs to make a DC 17 Will save to avoid being stunned for 1d4 rounds ...

barawn
2007-06-26, 09:48 AM
Damian

The high-pitched trill from the worm screams in Damian's ears as he's crouched near the worm. Maybe... I... should've... stayed... hidden...

[roll0]

(OOC: Whew! OK, I'll live with the 2 on the first attack for that roll right about now.)

As the trill continues, Damian shakes his head as the grating sound pulses through his eardrums. The momentary loss of focus in his eyes subsides, and his eyes flick to the others in the party. What was that for? And what did it do?

Diarmuid
2007-06-26, 09:49 AM
Tryntha

The cleric almost lost her concentration on her second spell as the giant wurm burst through the snow and ice, but she bent her will towards harnessing the magic and her stones began to glow with a small nimbus of light. Looking up at the giant wurm, she considered whether her small missles would even scratch it, but she was confident the magic imbued in them would prove potent enough.

[roll0]

The noise coming from the beast threatened to overwhelm her, but her duty to her homeland was stronger, and she fought through the mental anguish.

Backing up, she looked for a section of the wurm that was not too close to one of her companions and let fly with one of her magical stone.

Rolls in OOC Post
Attack Roll = 20 (-4 if considered throwing into melee, -1 additional if she can get more than 20 feet away from it, but not more than 40 feet)
Damage Roll = 6

blackfox
2007-06-26, 10:30 AM
Katrin

Katrin is surprised by the great worm's attack, having expected something slightly less enormous. She had heard of bulettes, armored shark-like creatures that swim through earth as if it was water, and she had seen them in the Underdark, used as beasts of burden. However, this creature was completely new to her. Probably, she thought, because I've never been this far north.
When the worm trills, she manages to block out the painful noise, shake herself out of her thoughts, and hit the monster with a bolt from her crossbow. Automatically, she reloads.

Initiative (1d20+3=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121607)
Will Save (1d20+3=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121567)
Attack Roll (1d20+8=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121569)
Damage (1d8=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121573)

elliott20
2007-06-26, 10:40 AM
Olfacht

This entire time, Olfacht has been searching for cover and backing away from any imminent danger that might befall him. But after several minutes, he finally musters up some courage and casts Heroism on the closest warrior he can get to, before expending what remains of his courage and running back behind the frontlines.

OOC: I'm not sure who would be the closest fighter to me, but whoever that may be, that will be the one to get the heroism spell. I don't know... maybe just roll a random die for me and see who I get?

Will Save: 1d20+3 = 17 +3 = 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121595)

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-26, 11:30 AM
Desmona grits her teeth, trying to resist the creature's shrill cry. She focuses her reflexes on the worm as well, ready to dodge its attack at any moment.

"Every...one...fight...to...survive..."

[roll0]=Will Save

[roll1]=Attack 1
[roll2]=Damage for attack 1
[roll3]=Attack 2
[roll4]=Damage for Attack 2
[roll5]=Attack 3
[roll6]=Damage for Attack 3

Declaring Dodge on Worm

Darius
2007-06-26, 12:05 PM
Tanner

Once word of light needed, Tanner opens his hand, illuminating the area with his flame. When the rumbling starts and the revelation that the enemy comes from below, not above, Tanner takes flight - rising into the air so not to produce a target. He then looks for an opening to rain down fire to the enemy.

[roll0]
[roll1] - Ranged Touch Attack
[roll2] - I think you may have to double this since it is fire.

ooc: with the immense size of the creature, I don't think Tanner has to -4 to hit if he is firing into melee, but he will if needed.

Koji
2007-06-26, 12:22 PM
Khazrael

The ear-splitting cry is too much for Khazrael, and he pulls himself close to the rock, trying to escape the noise.

((OOC: will vs worm (1d20+5=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121779)

stun time from worm (1d4=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121781)

Stunned for 4 rounds...))

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-26, 12:45 PM
Faluil falls to his knees and covers his ears, trying with all his might to ignore the demonic shriek of the worm, but failing miserably.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Waaaah! Stunned for 4 rounds as well!

namo
2007-06-26, 01:26 PM
Adalmar

His initial shots struck true, but the vibrations of the beast's scream run through his body. It seems like his bones are about to break... Limp fingers let his precious bow fall on the ground, while he tries to make his limbs work again.

1st round : move action and Manyshot (1 attack roll for the 2 arrows) :
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]

Total damage = 20 + 4 (Favored Enemy damage, which I forgot) = 24

[roll5]

At least I hurt it before getting stunned...

stunned (1d4=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1122650) Ouch me too. :smalleek:

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-26, 01:58 PM
Desmona's efforts to resist the creature's shrill cry were in vain, as she drops to her knees, whimpering and clamping her hands over her ears, trying to block it out.

Rolling Rounds of stunned: [roll0]

Thargor
2007-06-26, 03:02 PM
Norgold

Norgold fights the urge to drop everything and curl into a ball as the shriek batters at his ears.

[roll0]
will post actions for the round in a few hours if the save is succesful.

kuja.girl
2007-06-26, 10:26 PM
Tiriel

The worm's ear-splitting cry makes Tiriel cringe. It takes all of her concentration just to remain standing...
[hr] DC 17 will save: (1d20+3=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1121533)
stunned for: (1d4=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1122627) rounds after the worm finishes trilling

HP = 45 +[9] = 54
AC = 20

Matticus
2007-06-26, 11:47 PM
Grynde, rather slightly put-out Half-Elf

Gasping for breath, he staggers away from the thing, sheathing a sword. When it begins to trill, he tries to cover his ears and shut out the sound, but to no avail.

Yay me, I got Wounded!
[roll0] (Gah. Thing is actually +4. 11. still failed. :smallfurious: )
[roll1]

Dr._Bob
2007-06-27, 09:19 AM
The screeching cry freezes many of you in your tracks. Faluil, Khazrael, Desmona, and Tiriel all reel backward as they cover their ears, trying to clear their heads. Grynde, bleeding profusely, collapses as he tries to crawl away from the worm.

Adalmar looses a pair of arrows that bury themselves completely in the beast's flesh, but then the ranger too drops to his knees, overcome by the worm's trill.

Olfacht's eyes fall on Norgold, now a giant, and the thin man scrambles over and places a hand on the fighter's calf, imbuing him with heroism. Perhaps Olfacht was too late, however, for even the giant man falls victim to the worm's stunning cry. His enormous spiked chain drops harmlessly to the snow.

Those who were able to resist the trill do their best to bring down the monster. Katrin shoots the worm, and Tryntha hurls a small stone at the beast as well. It is hard to say if either has much effect. Damian observes the situation carefully, eyes narrowing as he considers various tactical actions ...

Tanner soars up into the air, his cape billowing around him. Fire appears in his hand, and the warrior throws it down onto the worm, blackening its hide and causing it to writhe even more violently in pain.

This proves to be a mistake, however, as the flying man now has the worm's attention. The monster uncoils to its full length and sprays Tanner with a cone of frost. The icy blast knocks Tanner out of the air. He lands with a muffled whump! and lies still. It is not clear if he is alive or dead ...

OOC: Olfacht casts heroism on Norgold. Tryntha hits for 6. Katrin hits for 3. Adalmar hits for a total of 24 damage. Adalmar, Faluil, Khazrael, Desmona, Norgold, Tiriel, and Grynde are all stunned. Tanner hits for 12 points of fire damage.

The worm hits Tanner for 60 points. Reflex DC 22 for half damage. The worm has taken a total of 94 points of damage so far.

elliott20
2007-06-27, 09:31 AM
Olfacht

"umm... sir? please get up. I'm feeling rather vulnerable right now without my body shield." Olfacht says nervously to Norgold. Watching the now stunned giant at his feet, Olfacht's survival (read: cowardly) instincts kick in once again, and he mutters to himself, "screw this, I'm not gonna die by the jaws of some stupid worm."

He casts invisibility on himself and starts to make his way towards Tanner to see if he is still alive.

OOC: cast invisibilty on self and then I'm going to move in Tanner's direction.

blackfox
2007-06-27, 10:30 AM
Katrin

Damn, damn, damn. There goes half the group... this is one of those times I really wish I was a mage. I wish I had some way to burn this thing, Tanner's attack really got its attention. I'm never leaving a city without oil and tindertwigs again.
Katrin aims carefully and looses her bolt, which buries itself in the worm's thick body up to the fletching.

Attack Roll (1d20+8=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1123409)
Critical Confirm (1d20+8=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1123414)
Critical Hit Damage (2d8=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1123424)

Diarmuid
2007-06-27, 11:41 AM
Tryntha

The rashemi cleric watches in horror as many fall victim to the terrible cry of the wurm. She had hoped the gigantic warrior would fell the beast with his mighty weapon, but he too was down.

Making up her mind quickly, she moved near to the giant man and quietly incanted a spell that would bring forth his mental resistances in an attempt to assay the assault upon his psyche.

Tryntha casts Resurgance on Norgold

The touched creature receives a new saving throw against one ongoing spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability affecting him/her. If the subject has more than one ongoing effect, the caster chooses which one the save applies to.

barawn
2007-06-27, 02:03 PM
Damian

Unbelievable! Everyone in front is trapped by that thing!

Damian watches calmly as Tryntha aids Norgold, and he silently hopes the magical aid will free the now-giant warrior. Once Tryntha finishes casting the spell, he pulls himself together, and rolls on the ground, dodging the flailing worm, finishing with a sideways stab into the heart of the beast.

Damian's delaying action until Tryntha's spell finishes, which hopefully will free Norgold to actually threaten the worm. God, I hope. Note that if anyone else in the front line is actually moving and distracting the worm, he'd tumble there if he could.

Tumble to avoid AoO: [roll0] (DC 15)
Attack: [roll1] (+2 if he's flanking, which I desperately hope - so 18 total)
Damage: [roll2] plus [roll3] (sacrifice 1d6 to attempt to take cold resistance)

Seeing Tanner fall out of the sky, but seeing him move out of the corner of his eye, an idea springs to mind. The beast writhed from that little ball of fire. Writhed.

"Everybody who can move, get the stunned ones back away from the worm! Tanner, that big wall of fire you were talking about before. When we're clear!"

Darius
2007-06-27, 02:33 PM
Tanner 12/42

Tanner sets his teeth against the blast of the beast.

[roll0]

Edit: Didn't know if Tanner would be alive or dead.

IC:

Lying in the snow, he considers his options. He knows that another such blast would surely kill him, so he seeks to help the others by praying to Gond.

ooc: cast prayer.

Prayer
You bring special favor upon yourself and your allies while bringing disfavor to your enemies. You and your each of your allies gain a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, while each of your foes takes a –1 penalty on such rolls.

Thargor
2007-06-27, 02:59 PM
Norgold

Still stuck in a personal hell as the worms cry echoed inside his skull Norgold heard a soft voice somehow carrying over the tumult. Using it as a lifeline he once again tried to clear his head.

[roll0]
Heroism and prayer are in the bonus, are there any other spells up that I missed?

Naleh
2007-06-28, 01:00 AM
Retay, human worm food

You don't stand a chance... You're useless, absolutely useless... They're all going to die... Their blood is on your hands, Retay...

Sweating, Retay gripped his greataxe, almost hugging it. No, he told the memories. No!

The next moment, an incredible screeching pierced his ears.

[roll0] Woohoo! I JUST made it!

Retay staggered, but he still stood. And now, he was angry.

"No!" he shouted. "I won't give in! Not like that!" With fire burning in his eyes, he lifted his axe and charged.

Rage (for 7 rounds; +4 str, +4 con (giving +14 hp), +2 on will saves, -2 AC) and charge the worm (1 round, +2 attack, -2 AC), for all the good it'll do . . .
[roll1] (including Bless and charging) EDIT: I forgot - the +4 str from raging gives me +2 attack, which means I hit! :smallbiggrin:
[roll2] (including rage)
AC reduced to 12 until my next turn, when it becomes 14 - not that it matters against a frost worm. :smallannoyed:

Dr._Bob
2007-06-28, 02:41 PM
Grimly, Katrin reloads and fires, burying a bolt deeply. She smirks with satisfaction as she reloads again.

While Grynde scrambles away from the worm, covering his ears, Damian and Retay charge forward. Damian easily dodges the worm's bite as he closes in, but Retay is not quite quick enough and gets caught in the worm's mandibles. Howling in rage, the berserker slams his battleaxe down on the worm's head, which frees him from its jaws. The berserker ignores the deep gashes across his torso as he screams at the monster. The worm rears back, eyeing the berserker curiously. It then dives forward, clamping its jaws down on him once again.

While the worm focuses his attention on the berserker, Damian takes the opportunity to slip his blade into the worm. He draws blood, but more importantly, he immediately feels warmer as he siphons off some of the creature's ability to ignore the cold.

Tryntha calls to Norgold, trying to rouse him from his stupor. Still holding one end of his limp chain whip, Norgold struggles to focus ...

Olfacht decides to make himself less of a target. With a whisper, he vanishes from sight. A trail of footprints appears in the snow, heading towards Tanner's body. As Olfacht closes in he sees that Tanner is alive. The warrior's lips move as he prays to Gond ...

OOC: Katrin hits for 13. Damian hits for 4 and steals cold resistance. The frost worm hits Retay with an AoO for 22. Retay hits for 10. The worm attacks Retay for 25. Tryntha casts resurgence. Norgold fails to save. Olfacht casts invisibility. Tanner casts prayer.

elliott20
2007-06-28, 03:14 PM
Olfacht

"Good, he's alive" Olfacht thinks to himself. He creeps up to Tanner and whispers: "Hey, psst, buddy, you okay?"

OOC: walking up to Tanner and holding action. I'm still deliberating whether or not to cast blur is worth it.

Darius
2007-06-28, 07:52 PM
Tanner Gondsman 12/42

"Aye, barely. You had best get away if you can; if that thing breathes at me again, we both will become meatsicles. I am going to grab anyone who has been subdued by the wyrm's cry."

Tanner steels himself and then takes wing - grabbing Norgold. He turns to Tryntha and says, "We need to get him to safety." Tanner then will drag Norgold away with his 'good hand' as he flies him out of harms way - especially from another frost breath.

Tanner will double move this round. Since there is no map, he will want to avoid getting close to the worm if he can help it, but he wants to get Norgold and Tryntha (as well as Olfact) out of harms way - perhaps behind the lean-to or inside it if it will protect them.

blackfox
2007-06-28, 07:56 PM
Katrin

Katrin shoots again. The previous shot had given her some confidence, but she still felt useless against the huge beast. Her spirit drops lower when her next bolt barely pierces the hide of the beast.

Attack Roll (1d20+8=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1126312)
Damage (1d8=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1126313)
EDIT: Gah, I keep forgetting I have Dodge. Declare Dodge on frost worm... might as well, even though I'm not in melee, my AC isn't that high.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-06-28, 10:27 PM
Desmona

"Ugh..." Desmona pries her hands away from her skull, the ringing in her head subsided now. That was one of the worse things she had heard in her travels, and hoped that it would be the last time she heard it.

Standing up, she faced the frost worm, currently digging its jaws into the barbarian - Retay, she remembered. Holding her spiked chain loosely, she started to swing it, slowly at first, but then in an instant it became a wild spinning mesh of metal links and spikes that lashed out at the hide of the winter serpent.

Flurry of Strikes
Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]
Attack 3: [roll4]
Damage 3: [roll5]

Declaring Dodge on Frost Worm

Naleh
2007-06-29, 02:32 AM
Retay, doomed human

Retay ignores the blood pouring from his body - in his battlelust, he does not even notice his wounds. He continues to howl and slash away at the worm, seemingly unaware the monster will surely kill him in just moments.

Next round . . .
Full attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
That went slightly better.

barawn
2007-06-29, 08:38 AM
Damian

A cruel smile crossing his lips as the dagger slips into the worm, Damian's eyelids flutter as a surge of energy runs through him. His grey eyes seem almost to frost over with an edging of white, and he glances around at Desmona and Retay.

"Desmona! Retay! Withdraw! Back off! Let Tanner cast the wall of fire between it and us! Back off! Get him and her out of here, too!" He quickly points at Tiriel and Grynde, and then immediately backs away from the worm, carefully at first, and then quickly moving back.

Thanks to Tanner's prayer, I can't miss this check. Woo!
[roll0]
After tumbling out of the worm's threatened area, Damian pulls back another 30', continuing to indicate to the others to back away. And looking at Tanner, hoping that he wasn't lying about the giant flaming wall he could conjure.

"And do any of you Rashemi types know what the heck this thing is?"

elliott20
2007-06-29, 09:29 AM
Olfacht

Upon Tanner's signal, Olfacht begins to sprint as fast as he can away from the worm and towards safety.

Olfacht is going to double move and just move away from the worm along with the group. seeing as he's still invisible, he's probably going to have to move by foot.

Darius
2007-06-29, 09:43 AM
Damian
"And do any of you Rashemi types know what the heck this thing is?"

Although he wasn't a true Rashemi, Tanner searches his memory for any stories of such a beast as he flies to safety with the others.

[roll0]

Tanner has both Knowledge Local and Arcana...not very skilled, but he has them.
:smallfrown:

Edit - that is too funny. From the Penthouse (20) to the Outhouse (1)...will board roller wonders never cease?

Dr._Bob
2007-06-29, 10:44 AM
Damian shouts for everyone to get clear, while Katrin covers their retreat as best she can from her position. Tanner rises and swoops towards Norgold's position. The cleric tries to grab Norgold to pull him to safety, but the enlarged fighter is too heavy for him to budge. Olfacht and Grynde move as far away from the worm as they can.

Desmona and Retay either don't hear the call or choose not to retreat. Desmona's limbs blur as her spiked chain whips through the air, singing as it slices into the worm's icy flesh. Retay's cries are almost incoherent as he chops again and again into the monster, ignoring his wounds and the intense cold radiating from the beast.

Suddenly, a miracle - one of the berserker's blows cleaves the frost worm's skull in half. The monster convulses, almost ripping the greataxe right out of Retay's bloody hands. Before your eyes, the worm contracts and crystallizes, flash-frozen by its own energies. It begins to vibrate, and fine cracks begin to craze across its body ...

As if in slow motion, Retay and Desmona turn to flee, but before they can take more than a half dozen steps, the frost worm explodes, its death throes sending shards of ice in all directions.

A number of stunned survivors, standing motionless or kneeling, are obliterated by the icy shrapnel. Their bodies partially shield Retay and Desmona from the full brunt of the blast. Several other stunned survivors a bit farther away are knocked off their feet by the explosion.

Those that were able to move far enough away are spared significant injury.

OOC: Katrin hits for 2. Desmona hits for 8. Retay hits for a total of 30, killing the frost worm. The frost worm explodes doing 4d6 piercing damage and 6d6 cold damage to all within its blast radius (Retay, Desmona, Adalmar, Faluil, Khazrael, Norgold, and Tiriel). Retay and Desmona can attempt a Reflex save for 1/2 damage (DC 22).

kuja.girl
2007-06-29, 01:50 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel watches the barbarian charge the worm indifferently. One part of her wonders why and another more senseable part can't help but wonder if the man is crazy.
She barely has time to recover from the worm's trill before the man cleaves open the worm's skull, transforming the animal into a crystalized model. Tiriel throws a hands in front of her face right before the icy image shatters sending cold, sharp, fragments of ice in all directions.

piercing/cold: (4d6, 6d6=[1, 5, 1, 5] =12, [1, 3, 5, 5, 4, 5]=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1127774)
Tiriel takes a total of 20 points of damage (see spoiler for details)

damage reduction, 5/magic, - takes 7 points of piercing damage
resists 10 points of cold damage - takes 13 points of cold damage
In short - yay! not dead!

HP = 45 +[9] = 54-20=34 (25 points after Aid wears off)
AC = 20

Diarmuid
2007-06-29, 01:56 PM
Tryntha

As she sees the body freezing, and the strangling clinking start, a horrible realisation occurs to Tryntha and she dives behind the largest piece of cover she can find...the enlarged Norgold.

She sees shrapnel fly over her head, and feels it impacting the huge fighter behind her. Once the blast is over, she remembers that she had been trying to decide if a spell to rid the man of paralysis would break the hold on him. No longer worried about his motor functions, she quickly channels that same spell into healing energies and pours them into Norgold.

Channel Remove Paralysis into Cure Modertate Wounds.
[roll0]
plus 4 extra points of healing from Augment Healing = 25 total healing

Praying it was enough to keep the large man alive, she begins looking for others who need her assistance.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-29, 02:02 PM
Faluil, elf-sicle

Faluil's body is torn and battered by the force of the blast, leaving him bleeding and unconscious in the snow.

Piercing damage from Worm (1d6=4, 1d6=5, 1d6=1, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1127855)

Cold Damage from Worm (meep) (1d6=5, 1d6=1, 1d6=2, 1d6=6, 1d6=5, 1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1127857)

Total damage = 38, HP left = -6 (help please)

How do we handle stabilization?

elliott20
2007-06-29, 02:26 PM
Olfacht

The blast completely takes Olfacht by surprise, but luckily he was too far away to be harmed by the blast. However, he realizes that the warriors there were probably not so lucky.

Springing to action, he immediately starts looking for the bodies of those caught in the blast to see if they're still alive.

Naleh
2007-06-29, 02:48 PM
Retay, surprisingly alive

Retay's greataxe plunges into the skull of the worm. He roars with success, completely unaware of what happens next . . .

Now, this is the bit I was worrying about . . .
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Damage reduction 1/-, which I believe means I take 10piercing+20cold=30 total damage.
Leaving me with 2 hit points. :smalleek:

When the worm shatters, Retay barely has time to move. His body is pummeled with shrapnel, leaving huge gashes in his body and probably breaking ribs. Worse than the shrapnel, though, is the blast of cold that passes through him - so cold it burns.

As he struggles to his feet, a single thought pierces the ongoing haze of his rage: Hey, look, another mountain fell on me.

Rather than returning to the rest of the party, however, the barbarian staggers off and, still snarling with rage, begins attacking the offending ice shards, shattering as many as he can find.

A short look at his wounds shows that his passion is probably the only thing keeping him alive at this point.

barawn
2007-06-29, 03:20 PM
Damian

Fleeing from the worm, Damian turns to shout to Tanner. "Head to the side of the overhang! Once the worm gets near there, cast the wall of fire to trap ..."

The shockwave a fair distance back shoves Damian face first into the snow. Mmf... Hey... it isn't so bad, now.

After the initial shock wears off, he stands up and turns around, his grey-white eyes widening in shock as he sees the field strewn with body parts, and several of his recent allies with large shards of ice pierced through them.

"Oh, not good..."

Thargor
2007-06-29, 05:30 PM
Norgold

[[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

The screaming in his head seemed like it would never end. When a sudden sharper pain cuts through Norgold latches onto it. For a moment the noise in his head fades, driven out by the more pressing physical pain. Norgold can almost focus on the world around him before his concentration slips and he clutches his head with his hands once again.

Matticus
2007-06-29, 07:47 PM
Grynde, Overused Race & Class

Watching the tall, heavyset man attack the worm, he could not help but be impressed. When it exploded, he could not help but laugh a little at the irony.

If that thing hadn't got me, I'd be over there picking ice out of myself. Gods, that human's taken quite a beating.

Healers? I think some people might be dying around here. And I wouldn't mind some help, either.

Strugging to his knees, he inspects his chest. The wound is rather large and painful.

Have I mentioned 'Ow' yet?

OOC: Who's dead? :smalltongue:

Darius
2007-06-29, 10:45 PM
Tanner Gondsman 12/42

Pulling with all his might, Tanner's futile efforts to move the enlarged warrior prove to have saved him. Norgold's giant sized body proved to perfectly shield the two clerics from the blast of the worm. As the shell shock from the blast fades, Tanner sees that the Rashemi cleric is healing Norgold. Shaking himself free, Tanner takes flight to scan the scene...he sees several up, but one down. Diving like a bird of prey, Tanner lands next to Faluil. He places his unflaming hand upon the chest of the elf and detects a faint heartbeat. He says a prayer to Gond which stimulates Faluil's natural healing to begin at an alarming rate.

Cast lesser vigor on Faluil. It automatically stabilizes him and will heal 1 hit point a round for 15 rounds...so 15 hit points back over time, basically.

Tanner will then stand from his squat and look curiously over at the still raging barbarian.

ooc: Dr. Bob, can I assume with my knowledge of the Rashemi barbarians and previous adventuring experience that Tanner understands Retay's plight?

Koji
2007-06-29, 11:13 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael is still stunned, and has no chance to protect himself.

His body is blown clear from the outcropping and lands in the snow with a dull thud.

4d6=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1128602)
6d6=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1128605)

36 damage. -24 hp. I only have 12 max hp. Khazrael is dead now?

namo
2007-06-30, 12:30 AM
Adalmar

He is still fighting to make his muscles respond to his command when he is fully hit by the exploding shards of ice. He falls headlong in the snow, a pool of blood spreading around him slowly, slowly...

I couldn't resist pretending he was going to die...

Ref (1d20+10=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1128681) --> HP = -4 (using Kuja's rolls)

Stabilization (1d100=93) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1128683) so I think he'll be at -5 next round - I'm not sure what method (high or low) DR uses anymore.

Darius
2007-06-30, 11:56 AM
Tanner Gondsman 12/42

After recognizing that Retay's battle lust is all that keeps him clinging to life, Tanner calls out, "Lissa, I saw Adalmar down over there -," he points Adalmar's body location out to the gnome, "can you get to him? Tryntha, I didn't see Khazrael anywhere. I am going to try and help Retay out." I only hope he doesn't cleave my skull in the process.

When he is able, Tanner takes wing and flies towards Retay with nothing in his hands. He lands nearby and announces his presense. "Retay...it's Tanner. I am your friend. I am going to heal you if you'll let me." Tanner will approach with his 'good' hand open showing that he has no weapons and will spontaneously channel the energy from his dispel magic into cure serious wounds.

If he is able to...
[roll0]

Naleh
2007-06-30, 05:07 PM
Retay, somewhat injured

At the sound of Tanner's approach, Retay whips around and growls, looking like a wounded animal. His own blood mingling with that of the worm, he crouches a short distance from the Gondsman, his greataxe at the ready.

Friend.

A drastic change comes over the barbarian. He stops growling and lowers his axe to the ground. His face begins to lose its ferocity.

But as his mind clears, Retay notices something: the pain. Gasping for breath, he murmurs "Friend..." and begins to lose consciousness... until Gond intervenes.

Surprised to find himself alive, Retay stands and, thanking Tanner, limps back to the lean-to trying to look casual. He is still badly injured, but, he reasons, he is alive, and others need healing more.

Diarmuid
2007-06-30, 07:26 PM
Tryntha

Nodding quickly to Tanner, the priestess scours the battlefield looking for Khazreal. Seeing him lying face down in the snow, she quickly checks the extent of his wounds.

[roll0]

Closing her eyes, she offers up a silent prayer that his soul will find its rest.

"Tanner, there was nothing I could for Khazreal."

Her voice is quavering with grief, but she stoicly moves on, looking for more injured. As she reaches Adalmar, she again check the severity of his wounds.

[roll1]

Happy to feel a heartbeat, but concerned with its erratic pattern she centers herself and once again channels the power of healing into the man.

Channel Delay Poison into Cure Moderate Wounds

[roll2]

Darius
2007-06-30, 10:02 PM
Tanner Gondsman 12/42

Tanner smiles as Retay stumbles back to the rest of the group. "Today was not your day to die, but it was your day for glory. Strength and Honor," Tanner says to the barbarian.

As he follows Retay and approaches Tryntha, his smile is replaced with pursed lips and a furrowed brow at her words. He wants to fly over to Khazrael's body, but he knows that he needs to tend to those who are alive now.

Tanner announces, "Could those of you who are injured please join Tryntha and me if you are able or call out if you are unable. My last count was that there were at least a dozen of us. I have stabilized the elf, Faluil, but I know he will require more attention."

Tanner turns to Tryntha and says, "I plan on asking for the Grace of Gond to knit my wounds and those of five others with envigorating strength. With Gond's blessing, such healing shall last for the entire day and into the night. I plan on using these magics on those that will most likely be in the front fighting and myself. That means Retay, Norgold, Tiriel, Desmona, and Damian...I like that one. Right now, I have one lesser vigor and the strength to cure one light wound and enough to heal three moderate wounds. I can assist with several minor cuts and scrapes as well."

Once everyone is assembled, Tanner says, "Friends, although in the Rashemi warrior culture it is glorious to die in combat, I regret to inform you that brave Khazrael has fallen to the death throws of the snow-wyrm. I think it only fitting that we bring him with us back to Immilmar. Let us gather him and his belongings and rest before we renew our quest. I think we should dedicate to the honor of Khazrael that we do our best so no others suffer a similar fate."

Diarmuid
2007-06-30, 11:35 PM
Tryntha

"I can help those who are the most grievously wounded, all of my most potent spells are available to me, as well as a few smaller magics."

Looking with sadness on the fallen Khazreal, she turns to the faces among the survivors that she is not familiar with,

"Are any of you familiar with his homeland? In Rasheman, it is not uncommon for one who falls to be reborn into the circle of life, the land choosing the form for this renewal. I have spell prepared for such an occasion, but I know some cultures have very differing beliefs regard death and the afterlife."

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-01, 12:09 AM
Faluil, going to be bruised in the morning

The elf coughs as his wounds slowly heal up. He pushes himself up and looks around.

"So...did we kill it?"

He says with a bit of a grin.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-07-01, 12:16 AM
Desmona

"Frick! Fricking frickers!"

Desmona scowls, her extremities numb from the wave of cold that had blasted her. She had managed to avoid some of the damage dealt by the exploding worm shrapnel, but was still sporting some injury. Take the shard of ice buried under her left shoulder and above her armpit.

Grimacing, she grasps the end of the shard with one hand. If she grips for too long, the ice will melt and it will be hell getting it out of her that way. Gasping slightly in pain from the mild shock of pulling the icicle out of her, she tossed the bloodied thing away and went to check on who had survived and who had died during this cold night.

Matticus
2007-07-01, 12:55 AM
Grynde, Stubborn.

Getting to his feet, he begins to walk on unsteady legs towards Tanner.
Annoyed at himself, he asks Tanner for aid.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I think this may require some healing. Yes?

Wincing in pain, he stands idly by, waiting for someone to heal him.

namo
2007-07-01, 02:40 PM
Adalmar (14/31)

It felt good, and warm. The world seemed so far away.

Suddenly, he feels a strong energy coursing through his body, and everything comes back : the cold, the blood, an explosion... Gasping, he slowly sits down and looks at the face of his savior. "Thank you, Tryntha. Thank you." Ignoring the lingering pain, he gets up and surveys the remnants of the battlefield.

Many people survived. That's almost enough. In any case, he isn't likely to get any better from the gods.

Limping and coughing, he makes his way to a venture point where he can check whether the noise has attracted more unpleasant visitors.

Darius
2007-07-01, 02:56 PM
Tanner Gondsman 12/52

When Grynde walks up to Tanner and shows his wound, Tanner inspects it. Not being the healer that Tryntha is, he addresses it the only way he truly knows - with healing magic.

[roll0]

"You are correct, let me see what I can do, Grynde."

Tanner will then reach out and touch the wound, channeling positive energy through his faith to heal Grynde.

ooc: Since I don't know how much Grynde is down, I am not sure which spell Tanner would use. I would guess he could assess how badly Grynde is hurt with Heal checks, so it may help Tryntha and Tanner out if you would post your current hit point status in a manner similar to how I have done with Tanner.

elliott20
2007-07-01, 03:38 PM
Olfacht

ooc: just checking in. short of looking a little shook up and preturbed, there is not much Olfacht can do.

blackfox
2007-07-01, 04:16 PM
Katrin

The force of the icy explosion pushes Katrin backward, pushing her off her feet. She rolls with the fall, coming upright with snow all over her back and arms, which she brushes off as she moves back towards where the worm used to be, to see if she could be of any use to the various healers.

kuja.girl
2007-07-01, 04:18 PM
The true after math of the frost worm's attack isn't readily apparent. Many were injured by the worm's frozen explosion and a few frantic moments are spent trying to reach all of the survivors before they succumb to their injuries.

The final count of fatalities is nine. Eight of the unnamed cavern members who'd survived the avalanche have now joined their not-so-lucky brethren in their frozen graves on the trail behind them.

The last fatality was Khazrael - the mage who Tiriel, Katrine, Achkby and Lissa (among others) rescued with Adlamar only a few short weeks ago...
Various suggestions are offered as too what to do with Khazrael's body - Tanner suggests taking Khazrael's body to Immilmar where there may be an opportunity to relive revive him while Tryntha offers the less conventional method of reincarnation.

As those who'd known him the longest consider the two offers Adlamar returns and quietly points out that the crows have started to land in anticipation of feasting on the corpses of the cavern members. Tiriel picks up Khaz's body and carries it back to the shelter.

No one knows what Khazrael would have wanted done so his body is laid in a corner of the shelter and shrouded with a blanket.
A light snow starts to fall.

barawn
2007-07-01, 08:59 PM
Damian

After the worm explodes, and Damian gathers himself, he hurries back to the rest. His healing skills nonexistent, he instead quickly gathers his dropped crossbow, and meanders through the dead.

As the night creeps on, Damian keeps stealing a glance over at Khazrael's shrouded body. I was going to go up after him once I saw him enthralled, but... he was too far up. There was nothing I could've done. Really. Nothing. The cold reality of the situation keeps attempting to pull the bit of nagging guilt away, but it clings with the same grip of death that caught Khazrael.

Finally, after quite some time, he sighs deeply and turns back to the others. "I agree with Tanner. Khazrael knew something of the oncoming army. We should take him to Immilmar. Perhaps the Iron Lord will wish to question him - or if not him, his spirit - directly."

He glances over at Khazrael's former companions. "I'm sorry for your friend. It's a tragedy his cheerful mood this day had to be ended so harshly."

The melancholy quickly slides past the dark-clad knifewielder, and a thought crosses his mind. He looks at Desmona and Tryntha with a wild look in his eyes. "You two... you're both from this area, aren't you? That... beast. Do you know what it was? More importantly... do you know if it hunts alone?" He glances up at the sky, where the birds of prey circled previously. "Perhaps we aren't quite safe yet."

Diarmuid
2007-07-01, 09:43 PM
Tryntha

Moving among the wounded/fallen, Tryntha makes sure that no one else is in danger of passing from world into the next. Over each of the deceased she offers a similar prayer, wishing their soul a safe, speedy journey to its resting place.

When questioned about the best, she thinks back to her studies of surviving out in the wilds.

[roll0]

she doesnt have Knowledge: Local, that's the closest thing I have to maybe identifying the beast and it's tendencies.

Kawaii Catboy
2007-07-01, 10:28 PM
Desmona

Desmona sighs. "Honey, I'm not from around these parts. I'm a Cormyrian, which is why this whole war business is unsettlin' to me. Especially since I don't know what could have happened to my family."

She carefully wraps her length of chain around her breastplate, contemplating the next move. "So, everyone here wants to go to Immilmar. To see the Iron Lord or just to get there. And..." She looks over at the sorceror's corpse covered in the corner. "I want to know more about this army. I want to know what's happened to my homeland." She looks at Tiriel and his fellows.

"I'd like to go with you. To see the Iron Lord, and to aid you all. I'm concerned for the well-being of my country, and I'll be damned to the Nine Hells if I don't fight them while they're a threat to everyone."

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-01, 11:56 PM
Faluil, limping ranger

Faluil, carefully stepping through the snow to avoid opening any of his freshly closed wounds. He grins weakly as he groans out his request.

"Oww....anyone mind helping me with some of these wounds?"

He looks around and focuses on Desmona.

"You say you're Cormyrian? I'm Cormanthor. Specifically Myth Drannor. Name's Faluil."

Matticus
2007-07-02, 04:35 AM
Grynde, 17/44

He stands anxiously, waiting for magic to flow into his being and heal his chest.

Naleh
2007-07-02, 05:12 AM
Retay, human punching bag 25/65 :smallannoyed:

Back inside the lean-to, the berserker grunts in pain as he settles down. He takes his torch - still flickering merrily - from his belt, and picks up his dropped shortbow. At last, he drops his haversack - surprisingly undamaged - and takes out a bedroll and a thick blanket. "I suppose I did offer to take first watch," he mutters audibly, "although some would say near-death counts for credit."

Diarmuid
2007-07-02, 08:43 AM
Tryntha

Tryntha will inspect each person in turn who was injured and apply her talents.

Casting Lesser Vigor, Mass on Retay, Grynde, Faluil, and Tanner.

Each heals a total of 24 hit points over 18 minutes.

After that she casts Cure Light Wounds on Tanner and Retay.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tryntha still has 6 Cure Minor Wounds (1 point of healing), 1 Cure Light Wound (1d8+10 healing), 1 Cure Modertate Wound (2d8+12 healing) and then 2 Cure Critical Wounds (4d8+16). To speed things up, take what you need for healing, roll your own in your post.

Her shoulders slumping from her mystical efforts, Tryntha removes a bedroll and a winter blanket from her haversack and beds down.

"I am severely taxed, but I will regain my energies in the morning with my prayers. If need be, I can take one of the middle watches, but for now I need some rest."

blackfox
2007-07-02, 12:40 PM
Katrin

Katrin trudges over to her bedroll. "I wasn't hurt at all, although I am somewhat exhausted. I suppose I could take a watch near the morning, I might as well be useful for once, but I'd like to get a good night's rest first."

To Tryntha, she says, "It's complicated. I'll explain in the morning, unless you'd like to explain to her, Tiriel?"

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-02, 12:58 PM
Faluil, can't think of anything witty wood elf 32/32 :smallbiggrin:

As the magic courses through the wood elf's body he breathes a sigh of relief. Afterwards, he whistles loudly and his horse returns from its hiding spot.

He pets its neck and says

"Good boy Norwyn, don't want you getting into any trouble."

The horse trots off to rest as Faluil pulls his bedroll out of his bag and lays it out.

"I'll stay up, I'm feeling much better after that healing. Thank you...Tryntha, was it?"

Dr._Bob
2007-07-03, 09:54 PM
There was no time to think after the frost worm's explosion. Those still able to get to their feet waste no time triaging and stabilizing their comrades.

Several, such as Grynde, Tanner and Desmona, survived by being shielded by others. In Grynde's case his benefactor did not live to accept his thanks. Norgold, on the other hand, managed to shield at least two or even three others with his enlarged bulk. As he and his spiked chain shrink back to their normal size, the healing ministrations of the others already have begun to work.

That Retay survived, despite being at the epicenter of the blast of ice shards, is a testament to the power of barbarian rage, but even he requires intensive care as the adrenaline fades.

The bodies of those who did not survive are collected and placed within part of the shelter. This grisly necessity prevents their bodies from being picked apart by the waiting carrion crows, who screech in disappointment. The birds continue circling overhead for most of the night, visible against the moonlit sky.

A single horse makes its way back to the camp after the worm attack, its hooves sinking deeply into the snow. The horse's miraculous survival of, not one but two disasters, is astonishing. The anomaly is difficult to explain, but Faluil has no complaints, whispering into the horse's ear in elven.

Dramatically reduced, the remaining survivors cluster together at one end of the makeshift shelter to wait for sunrise. The fire is re-lit at the entrance. Warmth being deemed more necessary than stealth at this moment.

When Faluil mentions his home, there are several lowered gazes and cleared throats. In the earlier conversations, it appears that the elf had not heard of Myth Drannor's fate. The elf remains stoic, but is clearly shaken to hear that the impossible has happened - Myth Drannor has fallen.

One-by-one, exhaustion overtakes each of you. The healing magic acts as an additional soporific, and soon only a couple of pairs of eyes remain open at a time, and even the scattered whispered conversations cease.

There are fourteen survivors now:

Tiriel - tall, blond, and now that you get a closer look at her, quite beautiful in an ethereal way. Her flaming sword is sheathed at her hip.

Katrin - Tiriel's friend with dark-short hair, green eyes, and scar across one cheek. Her crossbow lies cocked and loaded in her lap.

Lissa and Achkby - the gnome (Lissa) and halfling (Achkby) snuggle back to back, apparently more comfortable with their own company than with the tall-folk. The two of them emerged safely from their hiding place after the frost worm battle. Lissa's wand proved to be quite helpful in stabilizing the wounded. Both of the child-sized survivors seem to have little to say.

Adalmar - a ranger from Ashanath, just on the other side of Lake Ashane from Rashemen. He tends the fire, saying little. Perhaps his thoughts are about his village, deserted - the whereabouts of his family and friends, unknown.

Retay - the tall (6 1/2 feet), black haired, and fur-clad barbarian who miraculously managed to slay the frost worm and live to tell the tale.

Norgold - the heavyset fighter, now back to "normal size". He sleeps sitting upright, his spiked chain draped over his neck and shoulders.

Desmona - from Cormyr. She wears her brown hair in a high ponytail. Her modest tunic, breeches, and breastplate can not completely disguise her shapely figure. She also carries a chain whip, but whereas Norgold swings the weapon with power and strength, Desmona wields the weapon with speed, grace, and finesse. When she engaged the frost worm with her whip, the ends of her weapon were practically invisible as they whirled about her body in an impossibly intricate pattern.

Damian - clad all in black. He has gray eyes and jet-black hair. His daggers are sheathed and hidden away. He sits with his arms folded across his chest, a thoughtful look on his face.

Grynde - the half-elf ranger. He seems more subdued following the battle, keeping his anti-human comments to himself among this mixed company. He inspects his pair of matched shortswords carefully before resheathing them.

Faluil - a moon, or perhaps wood, elf. His bow sits propped up against the rock wall behind him as he meditates. His horse (the only one in the party) snorts softly as it stomps in the snow outside the shelter.

Olfacht - apparently some type of magic user. He closes his piercing blue eyes, letting his thinning hair fall into his face. His nostrils flare periodically as the smoke from the fire occasionally drifts into the shelter.

Tanner - bearded, armored and cloaked. This flying warrior keeps his cloak wrapped tightly about him. He stares quietly at the palm of his hand while a small flame flickers there.

and

Tryntha - the only native Rashemi among the group. This gentle healer has blue eyes and red hair, braided in the traditional manner.

Before she sleeps, Tryntha uses some melted snow to perform a small ritual over each of the nine corpses. It would be impossible to bury them properly in the snow, and digging into the frozen ground is not an option, but perhaps a blessing of some kind would allow their spirits to know that their passing has not gone unrecognized ...

She only knew the names of three of the dead - Nadshi, the monk who helped to dig out Norgold, is one. Ulmarek, the ranger who had proposed building a shelter out of the snow itself, is another. And then of course there is Khazrael ...

She looks down sadly at Khazrael, now bare to the waist. She notes his delicate, feminine yet angular, features. Gently she brushes a hand across his hair, smoothing down his feathers, which she realizes are not merely decorations like his bangles and piercings as she had first assumed. She frowns. Something about the shape of his torso and his proportions seem off somehow, beyond the penetrating wounds he suffered.

She gasps softly as a thought comes to her. Was Khazrael even human? She leans down to look more closely at his almost bird-like features ...

Khazrael opens his eyes and looks directly back at her. Tryntha screams and scrambles backwards. Khazrael bends at the waist and sits straight up. "What happened?" he asks ...

Koji
2007-07-03, 10:49 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael coughs so hard that a feather comes dislodged from his hair and drifts to the ground. He looks confused at the bodies around him and puts a hand to his head.

Long, thin scars crisscross his back, clearly visible now that his shirt is off, as well as a deeper, much more serious pair which form a V between his shoulderblades.

He draws his knees up to his chest and wraps his arms around them. All pretense of a cool demeanor is gone as he shakes violently and closes his eyes.

namo
2007-07-04, 12:01 AM
Adalmar

Feeling like a burden already, he decides not to ask for more healing. He can do just fine like that, after all.
He accompanies Tryntha from body to body, blending his (shorter) prayers to hers.

Tomorrow, he vows, he will leave the gloom behind. He has wallowed for too long in what was, in the end, only self-pity.

And then Khazrael comes back from the dead. He is surprised, but only mildly so. Due to exhaustion, perhaps. He has questions for the sorcerer, but they don't matter right now. Taking his wand out with precipitation, he applies it on the wounded man's chest and speaks the words that release its healing power.

[roll0]

Kawaii Catboy
2007-07-04, 12:23 AM
Desmona

Whatever cool facade Desmona was putting up to ensure that the others knew to look up to her vanished as a feathered body rose from the corpse pile.

"GAH!" Desmona gasps, falling over backwards and pushing herself away from the newly risen dead. "What the...wasn't he dead?"

She grips her chain tightly, watching carefully for anything suspicious. She's encountered her share of undead in her travels, and it didn't pay to take something like the recently deceased waking up again as nothing to worry about.

"You're not a ghoul, are you?" She asks.

Koji
2007-07-04, 01:58 AM
Khazrael

Adalmar's aid seems to pull him together, if only a bit.

To Desmona, he spits, "What?"

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-04, 02:07 AM
Faluil

The elf opens his eyes when Tryntha screams and looks over at the (oddly animate) Khazrael. Rather than jump or appear overly startled, his eyes open wide and his mouth stretches into a strange grin.

"I don't think I've ever witnessed this phenomenon before...spontaneous rejuvenation...I need to check this out!"

He mutters under his breath.

He stands and moves closer to the formerly dead man and studies his appearance, glad to put his mind to a task that directed it away from the depressing thoughts of his homeland.

Matticus
2007-07-04, 06:49 AM
Grynde, Half-Elf Ranger #1. Yes, 1, he was here first.:smallannoyed:

He sits on his own, more than ten feet from anyone else, tapping a rhythm on his knees. He doesn't seem shocked when Khazrael sits up.

'Back again? Are you going to stay for longer this time, or should we dig your next grave now?' he remarks.

Wow, the chicken-man has returned. Just in time, I'm hungry.

blackfox
2007-07-04, 08:51 AM
Katrin

Katrin is confused. Yet again, a comrade of hers has mysteriously 'come back from the dead'. She stands and aims her crossbow at Khazrael, but lowers it when Aldamar's healing wand appears to have a beneficial effect. So he's not undead, at least... "Tryntha... what's going on?" Is this like what happened with Karzak and Evendur?

Diarmuid
2007-07-04, 09:33 AM
Tryntha

She cannot containt the gasp and shriek that escape her lips as the strange "man" sits upright while under her inspections. Shock is clear on her face, and she reacts little as someone comes and administers a wand of sorts.

Wha...but.....how is that possible...

Her inner monologue is pierced by Katrin calling to her and she snaps back into herself. Kneeling before Khazreal, she places a hand on each shoulder and gently eases him back into lying on his back.

"Khazreal, please lie back. You have suffered grevious wounds that were beyond all of our ability to heal. We had thought you lost to the worm's violent eruption. Do you possess the ability to heal from wounds above that of normal men and woman?"

As she speaks, she begins inspecting him for further wounds and trying to speculate what could have possibly happened.

Are the wounds from the ice shards still there? Have they healed/closed? Is he pale from blood loss, etc?

[roll0] (To look for anything wrong with him still)
[roll1] (To recognise anything like this from a religion stand-point)
[roll2] (To remember if Rasheman history speaks of similar miracles)
[roll3] (To recognise anything like this from an arcane stand-point)
[roll4] (To recognise a spell effect that might be on Khazreal)

barawn
2007-07-04, 03:33 PM
Damian

Leaning against the outcropping lazily, half asleep, Damian's eyes bolt open when Khazrael miraculously recovers. "That's a neat trick..."

Damian's glance doesn't linger long on Khazrael, however, but turns to his companions - Katrin, Adalmar, Tiriel, Lissa, and Achkby. His gaze lingers on Adalmar and Katrin. They're not nearly as shocked as we were. That's odd... Katrin's suspicion at least makes him believe that this isn't a common occurance, but...

Curious, he focuses his attention on Khazrael's other compatriots, leaving Tryntha to her ministration, looking for their response. Have they encountered this before? Or did they expect this from Khazrael?

Koji
2007-07-04, 05:27 PM
Khazrael

Without a word, Khazrael shakes his head violently and scrambles away from the bodies. He weakly pushes past the people in his way and settles several yards from the bodies.

He tries to relax, but it's a bit much to ask. He stares at Tryntha but has no answer for her.

"I don't think..."

His breath comes in short sobs, and his sentence never finishes.

Why are my ears ringing?

Naleh
2007-07-04, 05:38 PM
Retay, human barbarian 50/65

Before going to bed, Retay asks Tryntha for a final healing spell.

[roll0]

Retay's eyes bulge as the dead man sits up. Warily, the barbarian reaches for a weapon. "Who are you who disturbs the rest of our dead?" he asks harshly.

Dr._Bob
2007-07-04, 08:03 PM
Damian watches Tiriel, Katrin, and Adalmar closely out of the corner of his eye. At first it seems as though they aren't as astonished as he would have expected, but after a little more observation, he realizes that they actually are surprised at Khazrael's "resurrection". It is an interesting dichotomy. It is as if they have seen others rise from the dead, just not Khazrael specifically ...

Tryntha attends to Khazrael immediately, noting the severe wounds from the ice shrapnel along his upper body and face. His lower body and legs were spared injury, and she deduces that the edge of the rocky cliff face must have shielded him somewhat from the blast.

Comparing his wounds to those of the nearby corpses, she notes that his body doesn't show the signs of flash freezing that most of the others display. It is as if his body isn't as vulnerable to cold as that of a normal human.

What about his lack of a pulse? She quickly checks for a radial or carotid pulse and finds that he still has none! Yet, Khazrael is obviously very much alive. His response to the healing wand seems to indicate that he certainly not un-dead either. Her brow knitted, she adjusts her fingers and eventually is able to find pulses, just not in the usual anatomic locations.

The feathers, the scars, the anomalous anatomy, the inhuman ability to resist cold ... it seems to add up to something ... but what?

blackfox
2007-07-05, 09:14 AM
Katrin

Katrin glares at Damian until he starts staring at someone else, then returns her gaze to Khazrael. She does not have the advantage of being able to observe him directly, like Tryntha does, but she can clearly see that he is not frozen, and guesses from Tryntha's confusion and her basic knowledge of human anatomy that Khazrael's pulse can only be felt in different places than a normal human. He's not human... then again, that's no suprise, is it? Many of us are more than human... or less than human...

Katrin suddenly scowls, and looks away, lost in her own thoughts.

elliott20
2007-07-05, 01:13 PM
olfacht

"What's all the commotion ***... GAAAAAAAAAAAAH~~!" Olfacht is clearly startled by Khazrael's suddenly revival.

"What the... but then... are you.... is this... CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?"

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-06, 12:52 AM
Faluil the speculation elf

The fascinated elf goes back to his pack and pulls out his various texts on flora and fauna, including magical and non-magical creatures and plants. As he peruses the pages of his prodigious pieces, he cheerfully and, perhaps a tad, arrogantly, gives his summary of the situation.

”My new friends, while it is surprising to see a fallen soldier return to the land of the living, and even more surprising to return in such a state that does not become the foul interference of necromancy, and more surprising still in such a way that did not overtly include the invoking of a great and powerful deity, I think we can be calm.

“It’s possible that Khazrael here went into a sort of mini-hibernation. From what we can tell, he is not elf, human, dwarf, halfling or any of the other common races that we can readily name. Doesn’t make him any less Khazrael, though, I would like to point out.

“There are a few possibilities to consider: Khazrael here was merely knocked into a deep state of sleep or hibernation in order to self-heal, and we assumed him dead. A powerful deity or other supernatural being has rescued him from the after-life for purposes we cannot hope to imagine. Perhaps a freak occurrence (an ebb in the flow of magic, possibly?) spontaneously recovered our comrade for no purpose at all.

“But even with these possibilities at heart…”

And Faluil sets down his books and walks over to Khazrael, squatting down to become level with the man,

”We can’t forget that he is as stunned and shocked as many of us. How many people can truly come back from the brink of death (possibly even from beyond that brink) without that crash of emotions?”

The elf reaches a hand out and places it on Khazrael’s shoulder, hoping to show the man that he means to help and support, not to question or accuse.

Darius
2007-07-06, 12:53 AM
Tanner Gondsman 24/42

As Tanner begins healing the others, his attention is drawn to the sudden cries of shock and awe. He is hard pressed to not show a similar face when he sees Khazrael sitting up. "By the Maker..." he manages to say. Seeing the Rashemi cleric hovering over the feather-dressed miracle-maker, Tanner returns to his work on helping insure that others do not need to experience whatever just happened.

ooc: Please see the OOC thread for healing choices.

Koji
2007-07-06, 01:49 AM
Khazrael

He watches Faluil as he speaks, but slowly his attention drifts to the bodies.

"What...what happened to them?"

Matticus
2007-07-06, 02:16 AM
Grynde Half-Elf Ranger

They died, what do you think? Did you see the size of that thing? It's remarkable so many of us did live. And speaking of life, you don't seem to be entirely human. Are you really a chicken man? You realise chicken are a great meal, don't you? And that chicken coops are designed to hold potential food? They're not some kind of brothel.

Enjoying himself thoroughly, he decides to discontinue this malicious act.

We're all glad your alive, freak.

With that, he wanders off, contemplating his next meal.

Koji
2007-07-06, 02:31 AM
Khazrael

Relax, it's not the first time you've been called a freak, and it's certainly not the most painful.

He touches a hand to his lips and mumbles something before waving a hand at Grynde. A sneer crosses his lips as he does so.

"Why don't you apologize and go get me some food, buddy?"

((OOC: Casting Charm Person on Grynde, who must make a DC 14 will save or else perceive my words and actions in the most favorable way possible for the next six hours, unless someone's going to make an AOO and hold Khazrael's arms.))

Matticus
2007-07-06, 02:55 AM
Grynde
OOC
[roll0]

Damn. Here goes the very best part.(IC)

'I am deeply sorry for the things I said, friend. I did not really mean all those things, and I certainly don't think your father enjoyed his 'time' with his poultry. Here, let me find you something to eat.

Walking away from Khazrael, and feeling very confused, he searches for something his great friend would enjoy eating.

Chickens eat grain, don't they? Hmm. No grain here. I know! I have the perfect idea!

Several minutes later, he returns to Khazrael and dumps an assortment of worms and insects into his lap.

I hope you enjoy it, friend!

OOC: He think's Khazrael's a chicken, after all. :smallamused:

Koji
2007-07-06, 03:51 AM
Khazrael

With a quick wink to the others, he nods to Grynde and says, "I'm glad we got that all sorted out."

Matticus
2007-07-06, 04:08 AM
Grynde, muddled half-apple. No, wait, tree. No! Argh! Not left!

His face falls in dissapointment.

Aren't you going to eat the food I bought you?

Koji
2007-07-06, 04:16 AM
Khazrael

Revenge seems to be the best medecine, and Khazrael perks up a little, though his shoulders still hunch forward and he remains quiet.

He nods to Grynde and pretends to nibble at the food as a show for the charmed half-elf, but finds that he's not as hungry as he thought.

elliott20
2007-07-06, 09:36 AM
Olfacht

Olfacht sits next to Khazrael, and looks at him with his piercing blue eyes. "Jokes aside, what are you exactly? Or do you have even the faintest idea? Where I'm from, people destroy things that don't stay dead. Of course, there they also kill people for having the wrong skin color, wrong smell... or lack there of... but no matter. I'm not trying to scare you. Just curious is all."

Darius
2007-07-06, 10:10 AM
Tanner Gondsman 42/42

Seeing no one coming for healing, Tanner administers to himself.

use healing belt - will use the charges as needed. If Tanner gets close, he will stop before using the last charge.
[roll0]
[roll1]
edit: [roll2] - not used

Edit: Feeling better, Tanner approaches the strange scene as it gets even stranger. He listens intently to the exchange between Khazrael reborn and the others' questions. Tanner does not wish to judge Khazrael, for he is in the miracle business himself and knows that there are powers much greater than himself - or that he can comprehend - out there.

Koji
2007-07-06, 07:43 PM
Khazrael

He moves to dismiss Olfacht's question, but he turns his gaze on the others and sees the same question written on each of their faces.

"Everywhere I've gone, what I am has put me in trouble. People have tried to kill me. They've tried to use me. They've tried to control me. I haven't had a carefree day in my life since I was ten, and that could be just a fabricated memory."

He pauses, trying to gauge whether continuing is prudent.

"I've never heard a proper word for what I am. There are others like me, but they're not the same as me. I don't think any of us are alike."

His eyes dance over the priests. The believers. Tiriel.

"The drow called me errdegahr, their word for a kind of demon. I learned most of what I am from them, but don't think that a little education made them friends or benefactors. I spent ten years as their slave and test subject." He spits on the ground before continuing, "The funniest part of that is, the treatment I got there wasn't much different than what the humans on the surface gave me. At least the dark elves made the effort to understand before they chose to hate."

He pushes himself to his feet. His legs shake with the effort, and he nearly tips forward, but manages to steady himself.

"I look almost like one of you. I spent the first half of my life trying harder to look like you. I plucked out my feathers, I hid my gaze from the righteous and the self-righteous, and tried not to use my magic where anyone could see it--that's the big one, I can feel my blood burning with abyssal energy every time I use it. It is the furnace, the source."

I can feel the stares. I can taste the bile on your lips.

"I am born of the blackest corner of your hearts. I am empowered by inborn magic and driven to act on my darkest wishes. From the abyss I crawled, and someday, I'll return to it. Is that what you want to hear? Well, it's close enough to the truth. There's a voice in my ear every second screaming, 'Do it! Do it!' My heart races at the thought of flames licking through the walls and roofs of everything that mortal civilization has wrought. Every time my magic harms someone or something, it gives me a tingle of pleasure like you'll never feel."

"But I know it's wrong, and that's why we're going to Immilmar. We're stopping an army of my brothers and sisters, my former taskmasters, and every wicked thing that walks on the earth from making every one of my dreams come true."

He returns to a seated position. His hand moves to his knife, but he doesn't draw it.

"Now, was there anything else? I'd like to get some sleep."

((Note, had to go back and edit a previous post, didn't see Grynde bring me a pile of worms, I thought it was regular food.))

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-06, 09:39 PM
Faluil, moved elf

Faluil sits back and absorbs the words in Khazrael's speech. He fights against his ingrained feelings and personal experiences, those that told him that any infernal or abyssal creature was despicable and evil. I cannot give into these feelings. This Khazrael is fighting the evil within him because he is a good soul. He fights against his blood-brethren to save those that have shown him no mercy and given him no kindness.

He shoots up to his feet and proclaims,

"Indeed our reanimated comrade! Sleep seems like a good choice right now, for all who need it. Too much excitement this night, I think. Best to sleep on it now, and we can discuss the rest in the morning."

With a wink at the rest of the group he returns to his bedroll and begins to meditate.

kuja.girl
2007-07-06, 10:00 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel had been surprised but not shocked by Khazrael's return to life. After all there was Evendur...the first time he died, and Trinark... she stops her train of thought once it hits the hollow space that had once been held by her missing companions. She'd never really gotten the chance to know any of them well. Even Si'rene (who, next to Katrine, was the person she'd spent the most time with).
She mets Khazrael's eyes as he sweeps the room during his speech. She frowns when he gets to the part about "liking" destruction and hurting people. When he finishes she stands up, and walks over to him. For a moment she pauses contemplating him and what she's about to do, but the moment passes.

She grabs him by his upper arm and hauls him to his feet, "We should talk. Then we can both sleep. Come on." She leads him outside, by force if needed.

Koji
2007-07-06, 11:02 PM
Khazrael

He stumbles along after Tiriel, still tired from the whole experience.

Naleh
2007-07-07, 01:22 AM
Retay, human barbarian

Not lowering his axe, Retay stares after Khazrael.

"We're supposed to believe that?" he mutters. "Drow don't have feathers."

blackfox
2007-07-07, 08:24 AM
Katrin

Katrin stops sulking and starts listening when Khazrael starts talking. After his speech, she quickly begins to sulk again. The parallels with her own life were immediately apparent. She considered following Tiriel to wherever she was going to take Khazrael, but decided to let them be. His claim that he was a kind of demon seemed plausible. She had heard of people who had abyssal ancestry. Most of what she had heard were myths meant to scare children (The Red-Demon-Man eats little children who don't eat their green vegetables!), but she had heard enough first- or second-hand accounts that she believed such people existed. Most were bandits and thieves, hiding from the 'more civilized' people who had rejected them for being different. She pitied them for this, having been in the same situation, but from what she had heard, most of them enjoyed killing and stealing, as Khazrael had confirmed. He's fighting it, though... that's the least he can do. At least he has good intentions... I have good intentions...

Katrin begins pacing around under the outcropping, arms crossed. Khazrael's claim of living among the drow seemed truthful, too, given the scars on his back. Even with her limited experience in the Underdark, she was familiar with the drow mentality, and that the drow would consider Khazrael a curiousity, and later a danger, seemed like something they would do.

Katrin sits down on her bedroll and spends a while trying to figure out if Khazrael was with the drow for the first 10 years of his life, or the second 10 years, to keep her mind off the links she automatically between Khazrael's life and her own...

barawn
2007-07-07, 11:51 AM
Damian

Damian's eyes avert from Katrin's when she glares at him while he's studying her, but his peripheral vision is good enough to continue watching unobserved. When Khazrael begins to go on his long discussion of his heritage, his eyes continue glancing around, watching his former companion's responses.

Khazrael's heritage didn't interest him, other than intellectual curiosity. It's not like he was normal himself, and it's not like his entire life hadn't been filled with people trying to isolate him from society. He still had sneaking suspicions about Tiriel and Tanner as well, so it wasn't as if Khazrael was the only odd one. Still, Damian's lack of knowledge of creatures of the planes bothered him - it's not like Khazrael had been hiding his abilities - just not flouting his nature - and his choice of music distraction should've been a strong hint as well.

It was clear to him now that this group has seen some bizarre things, and several of them weren't exactly normal. He could be in severely dangerous company.

When Tiriel grabs Khazrael and pulls him outside, his self-preservation sense takes over, and he uses their distraction to duck into a shadow and hide within listening distance.

(OOC: yeah, I hate spying on party members, but Damian just would never let this opportunity go.)[roll0]

Matticus
2007-07-07, 07:26 PM
Grynde, Isolated from internet for thirty-four hours.

A little stunned by his "friends'" revealation, he decides to find something to eat and maybe get rid of the headache he suddenly has.
As he looks for something to eat other than the bugs Khazrael left behind, a thought strikes him, and he looks sideways at Tanner.

Does anybody else have something to reveal?

....Hmm.....Forget it. Where's my waterskin?

He drips some water onto his head to try and get rid of his headache.

I don't like being out of the loop...

OOC: Hi, outsider. Yeah, you, the flying guy. I'm on to you. :smallamused:
Is everyone here part-something weird except Grynde??

namo
2007-07-07, 08:14 PM
Adalmar

Good ol'Adalmar should be dumb-founded by the dark tale weaved by Khazrael. But he's decided that from now on, he would not to be one step behind. So he's mainly thoughtful. Because of the World Below, he knows very little - only fragments of old tales, and they seem hardly believable.

The priest Tanner repeats his offer of healing, so he ends up giving in, and exposes his remaining wounds for his benefactor to heal. He thanks Tanner with a nod and a smile.

Finding the shredded remnants of his blanket, he covers himself as best he can, and goes to sleep wishing for a few uneventful hours of sleep.

Darius
2007-07-07, 11:39 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner listens intently to the tale woven by Khazrael. He meets his gaze with kind eyes and a knowing nod but does not interject. When he leaves the shelter with Tiriel, Tanner does not try to stop either but looks to make sure no one else does. He then returns to his work tending the wounded until...

Grynde, Isolated from internet for thirty-four hours.

Does anybody else have something to reveal?

Tanner finishes administering to Adalmar and pats him on the shoulder before turning and facing Grynde. "You seem more out of sorts than normal, Grynde. Is something bothering you? Perhaps an after-effect of the wyrm's trill?" Tanner looks intently at Grynde for a moment and then decides, No - same Grynde...just a bit more irritable and irritating. Tanner smiles at Grynde, "If you would like to know more about me, all you have to do is ask." Tanner's voice grows louder and addresses the others with his gaze as he speaks to all. "I have nothing to reveal other than a minute understanding of Khazrael's plight. I am no expert on outsiders or people for that matter, but I do believe that one should be measured by their heart and their merit. As an outlander to the Rashemi, I wasn't trusted initially. This is no slight on the Rashemi at all," Tanner says looking at Tryntha, "but it is one that I am sure any of us here has done and will continue to do out of experience. Eventually, I became accepted within the Rashemi by remaining true to myself and to those I met, and I am thankful for that. Khazrael has hidden nothing from us and has only spoken truthfully to us - even if it would mean judgement by those here. I have no right to judge, for I am no god - I am simply a humble servant of one. Gond has granted me many great gifts, and I use these to emulate the best that Gond has to offer. Gond is a builder - a creator of things. Relationships are one thing that only we can build, and moments such as these are crucial to making something stronger than adamantine. Now, I cannot tell you how to think or what to feel, but I ask you to put yourselves in Khazrael's position. Think of how he must feel before you make a judgement; think of what you would want if roles were reversed. Then do what you think is right."

Tanner then looks everyone in the eyes again and resumes tending to the wounded before he takes his post on watch.

Matticus
2007-07-08, 02:54 AM
Grynde

'Nothing to reveal'? Ch'yeah, and I'm Fenmarel Mestarine. Nobody seems to be normal around here. And nobody's an elf, either. It's like I'm back at home or something.

Sitting down, he reaches into his pack and pulls out a longsword. He begins to examine it's edge, making sure it's still in good condition after it's long stay in his slightly unusual pack.

Naleh
2007-07-08, 05:12 AM
Retay, human skeptic

The barbarian finally drops his axe, and retreats to his bedroll. He continues to mutter to himself about the revelation, but seems reluctant to speak up about it.

Tanner Gondsman

"I am no expert on outsiders or people for that matter..."
"Who brought up outsiders?"

"Khazrael has hidden nothing from us and has only spoken truthfully to us - even if it would mean judgement by those here."
"He didn't even say what he claimed to be, he just chatted about the drow a bit. And having drow blood doesn't explain any of the facts."

Nevertheless, Retay doesn't raise any objection. Following Grynde's example, he examines his famous greataxe for any damage from the battle.

OOC: What? He's a barbarian, he's got low Int.

Dr._Bob
2007-07-08, 11:59 AM
The remainder of the night passes quietly. The remaining dead remain dead.

At first light, a funeral pyre is created. Retay and some others fell nearby evergreens, and the soft wood burns quickly and fiercely.

Tryntha offers a few words for the fallen. Included are the dozens of other caravaners lost in the avalanche and other fellow adventurers who have been lost along the way.

A light snow begins to fall. As soon as possible, the party moves out, accompanied by a single horse. The rangers keep the party moving north. Toward the end of the day, Adalmar announces that you've reached a road.

Stopping in your tracks, you look around, seeing only featureless, flat snow-covered ground all around.

Grynde agrees with Adalmar. He adds a single word, "Immilmar," pointing towards the setting sun ...

OOC: Tiriel and Khazrael (and Damian perhaps) can have their conversation in the Private Conversations thread (in my sig).

Darius
2007-07-09, 07:49 AM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner looks off in the distance and says, "Excellent work! It looks like we have a long road ahead of us. It is probably best if we rest here. I am worried about this snow, however. Not that our fine trackers could not find the trail again, I think we should mark our destination somehow."

elliott20
2007-07-09, 08:38 AM
Olfacht

"Oh civilization, how daddy misses you..."

Matticus
2007-07-10, 01:19 AM
Grynde

Yeah, I bet everyone's real anxious to sleep our here in the cold and freezing, despite what happened last time we tried that.

He looks around at the desolate landscape, then back to the group of people he's beginning to tire of.

Is anyone hungry or in danger of loosing their extremities to the cold? Otherwise we should keep going.
If we do have a long road ahead of us, it doesn't get any shorter by sleeping, and it'll go a lot slower if we're all minus our toes.

Wait, what am I saying? We'd lose our toes walking anyway.

He looks towards Khazrael, a strange expression on his face, which changes quickly as his confusion turns to anger.

You little prick, you cast a spell on me!!!!

He draws one of his swords and takes several threatening steps.

Koji
2007-07-10, 04:10 AM
Khazrael

He smiles at Grynde, quite aware of the proximity of the others.

"A little grumpy, eh? Settle down, you're lucky I didn't fry you on the spot."

elliott20
2007-07-10, 10:08 AM
Olfacht

"No More Fighting! The sooner we stop bickering, the sooner we can get out of this featureless landscape and maybe, MAYBE find ourselves a nice warm bed to sleep in."

diplomacy check: 17 + 3 = 20

kuja.girl
2007-07-10, 12:19 PM
Tiriel

Tiriel tries to stay alert as they walk but the landscape is monotonous. Snow, rocks, maybe a bare twig, more snow, oh and more rocks.
So finding a flat patch of snow that might be a road, while different, doesn't exactly get her excited. What does catch her attention is Grynde shouting at Khazrael.
Tiriel doesn’t exactly count Khazrael as a friend but his attitude and actions make more sense after last night’s conversation. So she decides to watch the two of them just in case things get out of hand.

Diarmuid
2007-07-10, 01:04 PM
Tryntha

As the morning dawns, those rising find Tryntha out in a small snow-cleared area kneeling. Deep in her prayers she gives thanks to the land for giving her new companion a second chance at a full life.

Between Tanner and Tryntha, I'm fairly certain everyone would have been fully healed before resting.

She followed along near the front of the line lending her assistance with the landmarks and whatnot whenever she could. She was anxious to reach Immilmar and deliver the news of this approaching army.

Matticus
2007-07-10, 06:07 PM
Grynde

Fry me on the spot? You're really lucky all these other people are here, or I'd cut you down where you stand.

Sheathing his sword, he walks away from Khazrael, aware that a number of eyes are watching him.

Bloody stupid magicians...I'll show them...Useless...

barawn
2007-07-10, 11:25 PM
Damian

Walking near the front of the group, the bickering between Grynde and Khazrael barely makes him glance back, just for a moment. Just the slightest hint of a grin crosses his face when Olfacht jumps between them, and he glances back to the others as night begins to fall.

"If I can interrupt the entertainment for a moment... if we're going to find a place to stop for the night, we should start doing that soon. Then, Grynde, you can start challenging the guy who just came back from the dead. Plus, I could use some food."

Darius
2007-07-11, 08:34 AM
Grynde

You little prick, you cast a spell on me!!!!

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner walks to Grynde. He speaks to him softly in hopes that their conversation doesn't escalate the situation, "Grynde - what is this you are talking about? I had cast spells on you - healing spells and the elemental endurance - and you didn't behave in this way. At any rate, this is not helping our chances of survival. My spells are taxed, and Tyrntha is not an endless fountain of healing. The sooner we get to our destination, the sooner you can be rid of him and us. Can you do this, or is there going to be a problem?"

Dr._Bob
2007-07-11, 11:38 AM
Turning to the west, you trudge onward wearily through the night.

The temperature dips down even lower once the sun has set. Even the magical rations and warmth only serve to take the edge off of the misery. Tempers flare as the cold, hunger, and lack of sleep take their toll on your bodies.

The moon is hidden behind a layer of clouds, making it difficult to see where the snowy fields end and the horizon begins.

Weapons are kept at hand in case of danger, but the night passes uneventfully.

With your fingers, toes, and minds numbed by the piercing chill, it takes a while to notice the lightening of the sky behind you. Dawn almost catches you by surprise, the rays of sunlight casting long shadows before you. The sky has cleared. It looks like it is going to be a sunny day.

Occasionally, the rangers point out small stone markers, poking through the snow, which confirm that you are on the road to Immilmar.

Around mid-day, Adalmar raises a hand, stopping you in your tracks. Silently he points ahead. A large, pure-white wolf stands several hundred yards away in the center of the road. It observes you carefully, its ears pricked forward attentively. The party's lone horse snorts and stomps uneasily.

kuja.girl
2007-07-11, 12:18 PM
Tiriel

"Don't any of you even think of attacking it until it makes a move first." Tiriel says loud enough for the entire group to hear.
And thank the gods that Callos isn't here. He almost got all of us killed last time we saw wolves... I hope he's okay where ever he is, the bastard.

elliott20
2007-07-11, 01:20 PM
Olfacht

He leans in slowly to Tiriel and whisper, "so umm... what do we do exactly? Do we.... do we throw something for it to eat?"

kuja.girl
2007-07-11, 02:47 PM
Tiriel

"No we don't throw anything at it. We wait for it to leave and if that doesn't work then..." She'd been about to suggest that the lizardman druid talk to it, forgetting that they'd been forced to leave him in the cavern.
"Well there's got to be someone here that could try talking to it." She finishes rather lamely.

Diarmuid
2007-07-11, 03:20 PM
Tryntha

The Rashemi woman looked on with concern at the lone white wolf. She knew wolves usually ran in packs. Thinking back to her experiences in the wilderness, she tries to think if she knew of anything specific about this kind of white wolf.

[roll0]

"I do think we have quite a few woodsman here with us, perhaps one of them is skilled at handling animals. If not, I have a small amount of skill with the creatures local to these lands, and if necessary I have a scroll that would let me communicate with the wolf. But it is my only one and I would prefer to preserve it for perhaps a time of greater need."

Matticus
2007-07-11, 09:08 PM
Grynde

Huh. You don't see one of those everyday.

No worries. It's just a wolf. I don't reckon anyone should make any sudden moves, but if it does go hostile, make yourself look big. Still...I can calm an animal, no worries. Give me a couple of minutes and I could be petting it and having it lick my face, like some kind of puppy.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-11, 11:23 PM
Faluil

He frowns as his horse becomes uneasy.

"Shhh...settle Norwyn. What's the problem?"

He says as he eyes the wolf suspiciously.

[roll0]
1st roll is Knowledge (nature); 2nd roll is Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+7=12, 1d20+4=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1147465)

Handle animal is, of course, to settle my companion down.
Nature is to find out if there's anything off about the wolf, arcana is if there's anything magic about it.

Naleh
2007-07-12, 04:47 AM
Retay, human barbarian

Hardly speaking throughout the trek, Retay's habits do not change now. As with the frost worm, he draws a bow and arrows from his pack, although this time he does not move to nock an arrow.

Koji
2007-07-12, 06:13 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael frowns at the canine, then decides to mumble a few strange words and wave his hand.

"These things don't hunt alone, right? What's it doing out here?"

((OOC: Detect Magic, looking at the wolf))

Darius
2007-07-12, 08:03 AM
Tanner Gondsman

In the morning, Tanner will use his spells to aid the party again. Since he has used Gond's grace to extend the length of the enduring spells, Tanner decides that today he can add some different spells today and takes an hour for contemplation as the morning's light crests.

During the trek, the gondsman continues to remain vigilant. When the wolf appears, Tanner wonders what to do. Talk to a wolf? he thinks to himself. He says to the group, "Does anyone see others?"

Tanner then looks around himself:

[roll0]

barawn
2007-07-12, 09:33 AM
Damian

With the wolf's appearance, Damian's hands flash to his daggers, keeping them low at his side. Talk to it? It's a wolf... I think. If it goes away, we continue on. If it attacks, we kill it.

Calmly, he waits to see its next actions before responding. His eyes flash at the others, curious at their discussions.

kuja.girl
2007-07-12, 10:18 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel looks at Grynde in exasperation. "You know, I'd like to see you try that. I really would."
Shaking her head, she draws her sword and moves to the edge of the party.

(ooc: just setting Tiriel up as a frontliner if there's a fight; which seems very likely.)

Kawaii Catboy
2007-07-12, 03:20 PM
Desmona Darkwind

Desmona steps up next to Tiriel, her spiked chain drawn but still, wrapped around her forearm delicately as to not puncture her own skin.

"Wolves don't usually hunt alone..." She observes the surrounding landscape, looking for any other wolves hidden around the scenery. "Any rangers want to try to calm it so we can move along?"

Spot Check: [roll0]

Matticus
2007-07-12, 06:39 PM
Grynde

Eyes on the wolf, he relpies to Tiriel with a smirk on his face. Oh you would, would you. I might just do it, then.
Still smirking, he moves to the front of the group.

Dr._Bob
2007-07-13, 10:04 AM
The wolf stands her ground as members of your party shift position. No other wolves are visible nearby, though there are some rocks and isolated trees scattered about the landscape, behind which an enemy could potentially hide.

The she-wolf tilts her head as she watches you with icy blue eyes. Her ears twitch as though she is listening to your conversation from her vantage point.

Khazrael is surprised to find that the wolf appears to be magical. Tryntha wonders if the wolf might be one of the many spirits or telthors that watch over Rashemen ...

Koji
2007-07-13, 01:39 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael blinks at the magic surrounding the beast, and smiles.

Ha! I knew a normal animal wouldn't just sit there and stare at us all alone like that.

"Hey, that's, uh...not a wolf. Or someone cast something on it as a joke. It's radiating a pretty decent amount of energy. Do they have magic wolves here?"

Diarmuid
2007-07-13, 03:43 PM
Tryntha

Turning to look at Khazreal, Tryntha offers:

"There are many spirits who wander the lands here. It is to them that I pay my homage and pray for the blessings to heal the wounds of those would bring harm to my land. They are called Telthor. If this is indeed a telthor, we should have nothing to fear from it."

Moving tentatively, Tryntha moves slowly along the path the group has been traveling, easing past the wolf if she has to pass it.

barawn
2007-07-13, 05:49 PM
Damian

Damian turns and looks at Khazrael when he mentions that the wolf is magical. "What? Really?"

Nerves getting the better of him, he slips out one of his daggers, twirling it slightly in one hand as Tryntha approaches the wolf. "I'm just hoping your spirits recognize that we've already had enough adventure for the past two days." A bit twitchy, he hangs back and waits for the cleric to pass the wolf, his eyes scanning the horizon.

"I hope it's not trying to warn us or anything."

Naleh
2007-07-13, 09:08 PM
Retay, human barbarian

Hearing Tryntha's theory, Retay relaxes. The spirits protect this land and those that live on it. The wolf is no danger to us. If anything, we're safer in its presense than we would be otherwise. Still, he makes no move to approach the animal.

"Why?" he says to Damian. "If there's a danger, don't you want to be warned?"

barawn
2007-07-14, 07:59 AM
Damian

"I'd prefer that there wasn't a danger in the first place."

Dr._Bob
2007-07-14, 10:24 PM
The white wolf stands her ground as Tryntha approaches.

As Tryntha nears the wolf, she holds her hands down by her sides, palms outward, showing that she is no threat.

The wolf steps forward, sniffing Tryntha's palms. The wolf's wet nose tickles.

Tryntha keeps walking until she is past the wolf. The wolf then sit down on its haunches, thumping its tail, dog-like, in the snow.

Everyone in the party, Tryntha in particular, relaxes.

Silently, a dozen figures rise from the snow. The men are wearing hooded, white cloaks. They have your group surrounded, except for Tryntha who now stands outside their circle. She passed within three feet of one of the men, but did not notice him.

Shaking the snow from their camouflage, they lower their hoods, revealing themselves to be Rashemi. They carry no bows or crossbows, but their battleaxes are well-worn and the warriors heft them with practiced ease.

One addresses you in accented common, "You are not welcome here, strangers. Go back from whence you came. Proceed no farther along this road."

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-15, 12:08 AM
Faluil

Faluil's first instinct is to raise his bow, but thinks better of it when he sees all twelve men. He keeps it down and pats his horse on the neck to keep it calm.

Should I say anything? They aren't bandits, so we're safe if we go back, but...we need to press forward.

He breathes calmly and closes his eyes.

I'll let someone else tell them our reasons for being here, as I'm no good with words. Best let one of our more charming comrades take care of that.

Matticus
2007-07-15, 02:15 AM
Grynde, All-round useless idiot

And just why can't we go further? I mean, here we are, needing to go over there he points in the direction the road travels but you're all in our way! So before we impart anything to you, why don't you give us a couple of good reasons why we should turn back at all, and then we can explain why you should get the hells out of our way.

Despite the situation, fear has not bought it's presence to his head - Maybe he just doesn't have the capacity. He stands relaxed and confident, hands at his sides, not making a single move towards his weapons, nor even going as far as balling his fists.

OOC: Dun't tink I be's needing an timidate check, dun't tink it'd do mutch good.

namo
2007-07-15, 02:18 AM
Adalmar

In an uncharacteristic gesture, the ranger steps forward. He gives the newcomers the traditional greeting of Rashemi rangers, learned long ago during his trip to Rashemen. It roughly translates in Common to "May the snow part before your steps."

Then he switches to Common, to allow everyone to follow what he is saying. "We have come to you in an hour of need. Ours most assuredly, but yours too, soon."
He suddenly realizes he is rushing things, and takes a deep breath. "Forgive me. I am Adalmar, a ranger of the Great Dale, and my traveling companions are, well, of very diverse origins but many share the same goal."

"We have come a long way to warn you. An army of demons is coming from the West, sweeping through the land and bringing destruction in its wake. My beloved forest of Lethyr was ravaged." His speech is oddly formal, almost as if he had rehearsed those words in his head. Or perhaps eloquence is a way to distance himself from his emotions.

"Against this, it seemed to us that Rashemen was the only recourse, and your people the only ones capable of stemming this mad tide.

We have come to plead our cause, ask for help, and pledge our weapons where needed. Please let us pass."

Adalmar bows his head, in an attitude of submission. For even if he could muster all the pride of the world, it would avail him nothing in front of those wary guardians.

He also realizes a bit too late that not everybody may agree with what he said.

Hmm, I feel like I may have made some syntactical/grammatical/... mistakes. Please point them out to me ! [non-native speaker]

edit: oops, simul-post. I don't really want to edit though, so I'll pretend it was simultaneous to Grynde's actions.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-15, 02:58 AM
Faluil

The wood elf winces as Grynde snaps at the ambushing group.

That...fool. I hope Adalmar's silver tongue can compensate for that idiot's manners.

Naleh
2007-07-15, 03:42 AM
OOC: Kevka, I think you mean "The wood elf winces as Grynde snaps".

Retay, big guy with axe

Seeing the guardians rise from the snow, Retay drops his bow, unhesitatingly. He stands back and tries to look unthreatening - which isn't easy for a muscled, fur-clad, axe-wielding, 6'5"-tall barbarian. He watches the locals in respectful silence. It seems strange that the mad axe-fighter who slew the frost worm should be so much less militant than others like the half-elf.

Not only spirits guard this land, he thinks.

barawn
2007-07-15, 08:01 AM
Damian

Damian glances over at Adalmar as he makes his impassioned plea to the white-cloaked guards, his hands not moving from his daggers. His eyes flash over to Tryntha, who has already passed the wolf and appears to be free to travel.

"What he said," says Damian, indicating Adalmar. "Plus we're her guard," nodding towards Tryntha. "She can vouch for us. Unless you're happy to let a native of this land travel the woods unaccompanied."

kuja.girl
2007-07-15, 09:58 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel sheathes her sword as soon as she sees that the "wolf" and the men that had popped out of the snow mean them no immediate harm.
Before she can speak Adlamar and Grynde start talking at the same time. She silently applauds Adlamar and represses the urge to knock Grynde senseless. After such a long time, and the loss of many companions, she and Katrine were close to their goal and she'd be damned if she let some jackass prevent her from reaching the Iron Lord.

She turns to Grynde and gives him a strained smile, "I think you'd better shut up. Right now."
Intimidate: (1d20+10=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1152143)

Darius
2007-07-15, 12:58 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Shooting a stern look at Grynde, Tanner can only hope that it will not be long before he can be rid of this 'companion.' If nothing else, perhaps he will upset the Rashemi enough to warrant a lesson. Although he is accepted in Immilmar, Tanner knows that his influence over the Rashemi means nothing out here. Tanner relaxes a bit when Adalmar speaks; Tanner wishes to help assuage the situation despite Grynde's arrogance.

Tanner adds in Rashemi, "Brave warriors and sentinels to the land - what Adalmar speaks of it true. Detain us if necessary, but please get word to your lord at Immilmar."

ooc: Hoping to aid another diplomatically [roll0]

Matticus
2007-07-15, 02:04 PM
Grynde OOC: Very nice mistake, Kevka Palazzo

He's a bit too difficult to intimidate with just one person, but when he realises the rest of the group would rather be quiet and not fight like some kind of big collective coward, he gives up, not sure where to look with a number of hostile faces wherever his met them.

Gondsman, huh. Do they teach all Gondsmen to be that annoying, or is it just this one?

OOC (again): With any luck, Darius, you'll be stuck with me for a long time.:smallsmile:

Koji
2007-07-15, 02:33 PM
Khazrael

That has to be more words than Adalmar has spoken in the entire time I've known him.

Khazrael nods and tosses in his own version of the truth.

"Besides, the road leading we came in on was buried in an avalanche and we lack the resources to traverse it. Our supplies are running low and we'll die out here without help."

ooc: Bluff check. 1d20+12=30 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1152410)

Dr._Bob
2007-07-15, 07:50 PM
The Rashemi leader turns to Tryntha and addresses her in their native tongue. "Do the strangers speak the truth?"

The other Rashemi seem unperturbed by Grynde's outburst, as if that kind of rude behavior is what they expect from outsiders.

Diarmuid
2007-07-15, 10:33 PM
Tryntha

Bowing to the leader of the squad the Rashemi healer addresses him with an authorotative tone in her voice none have heard before:

"I cannot confirm their story of an approaching army personally, but I believe them to be speaking the truth. These are good people, and have risked much to warn our people of a possible threat. It is my intent to bring them before the Iron Lord that he may judge them for himself. They are not familiar with our lands and the perils have already taken a toll from many of them. An escort to Immilmar would be greatly appreciated."

[roll0]

barawn
2007-07-16, 12:34 AM
Damian

Damian leans to Khazrael and whispers as Tryntha and the Rashemi talk. "I don't get it. We were part of a caravan headed for Immilmar. Surely they would've let it through, but not us alone? Or maybe the caravan would've also been turned back?"

"Anyway, if they let us through, it's a good thing you ran into us, then. Getting through here on your own wouldn't've been easy."

namo
2007-07-16, 06:59 AM
Adalmar

Puzzled, the ranger listens to the exchange in silence. That he would be considered a complete stranger shows that the times must be dire indeed.

DR, I just wanted to remind you that he looks partly Rashemi (his father was), and he speaks it rather well, too.

Dr._Bob
2007-07-16, 09:17 AM
Adalmar is a bit disappointed to be lumped in with the rest of the "strangers" despite his part-Rashemi heritage, but he reminds himself that his clothing and company mark him as a foreigner, and he has to admit that the Rashemi are not the only people to discriminate against those of mixed race (as any half-elf or half-orc could attest to).

Damian also is puzzled by the Rashemi hostility. On the other hand, as he looks around at the motley band of survivors, he has to admit that the group he is traveling with is suspicious-looking. It would be one thing to show up at Immilar's gates as a part of a wagon train with a (presumably) reputable caravan master. It's another thing to be a dozen armed vagabonds found trampling through Rashemi territory on foot in the middle of Deepwinter.

A few of the Rashemi have trouble hiding their smirks as young Tryntha addresses their captain so boldly. The captain, however, listens to her words seriously and bows gently at her command.

Darius
2007-07-16, 04:06 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner listens intently to what Tryntha says. He ignores the smirks of the warriors, tacking them up to typical bravado; Tanner's eyes bore into the captain until Tanner sees the body language indicating the decision had been made. It is then when Tanner turns and quietly translates to the others,
"Tryntha has informed the rangers of our plight, and she has asked the Rashemi to accompany us to Immilmar. It appears that the captain sees the need and is willing to help us." Tanner locks his gaze on Grynde when he speaks his last sentence, "Let us not jeopardize this momentary truce with rash words or actions."

Tanner will continue to stare at Grynde until the half-elf acknowledges his understanding of the gravity of the situation before Tanner files behind Tryntha.

Matticus
2007-07-16, 11:59 PM
Grynde

Against his better judgement, which is probably a good thing for the group, he keeps quiet. He casts a few dark scowls at Tryntha and the apparent leader of the warriors, but remains silent.
However, Tanner, whom he has taken somewhat of a dislike to, begins to glare at him rather pointedly, which bothers him to no end.

Yeah, yeah, whatever, human he says angrily I'll keep my mouth shut.
But maybe he mutters darkly once Tanner is out of earshot Maybe you could try shutting yours as well, I could help, if I removed your head it'd make the whole thing a lot damn easier...
He continues to think painful thoughts about several of the group members and will follow along at the back of a walking group if it occurs.

Darius
2007-07-17, 08:35 AM
Edit: Whoopsie - this was meant to be in the OOC section. Sorry

Grynde

Yeah, yeah, whatever, human he says angrily I'll keep my mouth shut.
But maybe he mutters darkly once Tanner is out of earshot Maybe you could try shutting yours as well, I could help, if I removed your head it'd make the whole thing a lot damn easier...
He continues to think painful thoughts about several of the group members and will follow along at the back of a walking group if it occurs.

For being such a tough guy, he sure is a coward.

Diarmuid
2007-07-17, 09:06 AM
Tryntha

Returning the bow to the captain, Tryntha offers words of gratitude and then returns to the group, carefully moving past the wolf once more.

"These proud warriors of Rasheman will escort us to Immilmar, where I hope to facilitate your meeting with the Iron Lord to apprise him of these threats to these lands. Please do not take offense if the men are not exactly...friendly. We have dealt with the harsh machinations of the lands on our borders for long enough that we have become quite suspicious of outsiders."

The healer waits to field any questions or comments from the survivors before preparing for the final push to Immilmar with her countrymen.

Koji
2007-07-17, 10:01 AM
Khazrael

Khazrael's pale blue eyes search the Rashemi axemen, trying to analyze their intent.

Who are these guys? Are we supposed to trust them? They could be robbers for all we know.

kuja.girl
2007-07-17, 10:14 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel keeps a close eye on Grynde, making sure that he doesn't spoil anything with another outburst. A feeling of relief washes over her when she hears that the they will be allowed to pass, more than that, that they will be escorted. For once things seem to be working out.

It's a nice change, but she still has mixed feelings about many in the group. Her thoughts turn to the mask that she and Katrine have been hauling around for months now. We could show it to them and it might back up our story, or it could land us in trouble if these men arn't who they say they are.
Falling back Tiriel joins Katrine and asks her what she thinks about her idea.

(ooc I know blackfox said she'd be out of town.)

elliott20
2007-07-17, 10:25 AM
Olfacht

Olfacht has been silent the entire time, somewhat uncomfortable with Grynde's reaction. After all, he's in the business of staying alive. And he likes it when business is good. Business would not be so good, however, if the group were to piss off every stranger they come across.

However, he does understand Grynde's concern. After all, a healthy dosage of paranoia does help keep people alive.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-17, 12:56 PM
Faluil

The ranger breathes a sigh of relief when Tanner relates the good news to them and Tryntha confirms it.

He eyes the Rashemi suspiciously nevertheless. The wolf wasn't hostile to them-indeed, it seemed to be their ally-but that didn't mean that they were particularly accepting about his band. But he smiled and said,

"Then I thank them for their assistance. Thank you for facilitating a mutual understanding, Tryntha."

With a short bow to Tryntha and the Rashemi leader, he begins to relax.

At this point, I'd imagine everyone is on edge and alert, possibly even listening for anything wrong. So this is a listen check to hear Grynde's little complaint.

[roll0]

barawn
2007-07-17, 07:28 PM
Damian

Damian's eyebrows remain furrowed, slightly unsettled by the sudden armed Rashemi guard. He looks over to Adalmar and whispers quietly, "How far are we from Immilmar? We didn't seem to be that close, although this godforsaken snow may be playing tricks on me. And a guard this far out from the city seems strange... unless they're worried about something."

Dr._Bob
2007-07-18, 11:34 AM
Without speaking further, the Rashemi captain leads the way westward, the wolf loping at his side. With a small hand movement, he signals for two of this men to move forward ahead of your group. They raise their hoods and advance until they are lost from sight.

The remainder of the Rashemi scatter to the sides and rear of your party, disappearing from view.

Tryntha converses briefly with the captain before falling back to the main group. She has learned that these men are members of the Wolf berserker lodge and have been on a routine scouting mission. Immilmar lies ahead two days journey on foot.

Tiriel and Katrin converse quietly together. Katrin keeps a hand on her pack protectively as they whisper to each other.

Grynde sulks at the rear of the group. His eyes glaring out from beneath his lowered brow.

Late in the day, the more sharp-eared of you hear a series of bird calls. The Rashemi captain raises his hand, stopping in his tracks. He kneels and motions for the rest of you to do the same. The wolf crouches, his nose sniffing the wind.

namo
2007-07-18, 11:54 AM
Adalmar

In an unusual surge of pride, he had been about to reply to the "harsh machinations of the lands on our borders"... but he bit it back instead. An end to strife was what he longed for.

To Damian, he replied, obviously surprised that one could doubt the Rashemi : "Immilmar should be at most three days away. But really, I don't think it's strange. We... They are a careful people."

Adalmar drops into a crouch, one hand already reaching towards his quiver. If a surprise awaits them, he doesn't expect it to be good - not after the trolls, vampires and aboleths.

Koji
2007-07-18, 01:11 PM
Khazrael

Khazrael sinks into a low crouch and allows his pent-up magical energy to bristle outward. His mind dances over the spells he knows as he readies himself for any coming danger.

Darius
2007-07-18, 02:24 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner remains quiet for much of the trek. When danger approaches, the Gondsman instinctively reaches for the wheel-cog holy symbol around his neck as he says a prayer to his god and extends it to those around him - locking it to them with positive energy.

cast prayer and make it persistent. All allies (even Grynde :smalltongue: )within 40' of Tanner gains a +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, while each of your foes takes a –1 penalty on such rolls.

elliott20
2007-07-18, 02:35 PM
Olfacht

Instinctively, Olfacht charges up his magical energy, ready to react upon a moments notice and... cast a cover for himself so he can be safe from danger.

Olfacht is holding his action, but if something vicious looking pops up, he's casting invisibility on himself

Diarmuid
2007-07-18, 03:01 PM
Tryntha

Pleased with the development of the crossing of the two groups' paths Tryntha tried to remain close to the captain to act as an intermediary if further necessary.

She halted immediately at the signal and took to watching the wolf, trusting it's keen senses would find any danger before anyone else.

barawn
2007-07-18, 05:48 PM
Damian

Damian quickly drops to his knees, setting his daggers on the ground. With a crude thrust forward of his hands, and a single arcane word, his dull eyes flare for a brief moment, before returning grey. Those nearby him feel a gentle woosh of air, as though an invisible force had suddenly emanated from him. His eyes quickly scan the skies, his arms reaching back to draw his crossbow.

Casting shield. Those with Spellcraft who recognize the spell would note that both the words of power and the gestures Damian uses are remarkably primitive - so much so that you're half surprised they worked.

Naleh
2007-07-19, 12:16 AM
Retay, human barbarian

After learning their identity, Retay looks at the men with even more respect. He had much looked forward to meeting the 'great warriors of Rashemen' in Immilmar.

Retay drops into a crouch, retrieving his bow again. He stares all around him, looking and listening for any danger.

I guess this might be a good time for some checks...
[roll0]
[roll1]

Dr._Bob
2007-07-19, 10:35 AM
The Rashemi captain drops even lower, lying prone in the snow. The wolf similarly lies flat.

Two hundred feet ahead, a group of six large creatures moves out of a copse of evergreens and shambles out onto the road, heading northward.

The wind blows in your faces. The creatures appear to be unaware of your presence.

At first the creatures appear to be a sleuth of large bears, their coats shaggy and snow covered. Strangely, however, the animals ambulate on their hind legs, and when one turns its head, the sunlight glints off of a sharp beak set in the middle of its face ...

kuja.girl
2007-07-19, 10:51 AM
Tiriel

Tiriel looks around in some confusion as first their escort and then her travling companions go on alert. She knows something is wrong but since no one had clued her in as to what exactly was happening, she just follows suite and drops to the snow next to Katrine.

When the large shaggy shapes emerge she decides to stick with the age old moto and be "safe rather than sorry," and prepares to draw her sword. Then she looks to the Rashemi captian for direction, waiting to see if he plans to engage the animals or wait them out.

Darius
2007-07-19, 01:16 PM
Tanner Gondsman

Tanner gets low to the ground like the others. Unfortunately, his breastplate prevents him from getting as low as the others. He keeps his head up so he can watch to see if the creatures approach.

[roll0]

Also, just to remind you all, we get +1 on skill checks. :smallwink:

Edit: Ouch - I guess the sunlight glints off of his breastplate. :smallredface:

barawn
2007-07-19, 02:40 PM
Damian

As the Rashemi guard drop to the ground, Damian follows their lead, pulling his crossbow free and slinking quietly out of sight, sliding under a cover of free snow and shuffling to distribute it over himself.

[roll0]

As he slips into his hiding spot, he notices Tanner's poor attempt to conceal himself, needing almost to squint to keep from being blinded off of the metal gleam. He smirks confidently. Amateur.

Matticus
2007-07-20, 12:47 AM
Grynde.

For a brief moment, he considers standing up and yelling, but he isn't that stupid. Instead he flattens himself onto the cold ground, trying to hide from the lumbering beasts.

[roll0]
That better've worked.

Koji
2007-07-20, 09:23 AM
Khazrael

With no sound or movement signalling a spell being cast, the shadows in the immediate area lengthen and twist, making things palpably darker.

Khazrael makes no real motion of his own, perhaps assuming his hiding place is good enough already.

((OOC: Using my darkness spell-like, which as described has no verbal or somatic components.
Hide: 1d20+3=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1160775) ))

Dr._Bob
2007-07-20, 11:00 AM
Although several members of the party are able to hide as well as the Rashemi clansmen, some of the others are not quite so stealthy, and there is no easy way to hide Faluil's horse.

One of the half-owl, half-bear creatures turns its head, and locks its eyes onto the horse. With a sharp bark, it alerts the others, who freeze in place, turning their heads to look toward the party.

The expressions of the owl-bears is almost comical - surprised big round eyes and an incongruously-placed beaks where snouts should be.

Darius
2007-07-20, 11:07 AM
Tanner Gondsman

The horse! By the furnace, those things are going to come over here and feast on that horse, Tanner thinks to himself. I am not going to let that happen.

Tanner then watches and waits. He whispers to the captain first in Rashemi then in common so the party will know of Tanner's plan, "Where are your men? I do not want to singe them with my wall of fire."

Koji
2007-07-20, 12:05 PM
Khazrael

Damn it. Well, time for a little lightni--"Where are your men? I do not want to singe them with my wall of fire."

Khazrael sighs at Tanner's statement. An unseen man could just as easily be in the way of a lightning bolt. Instead he calmly begins casting some more simple, less destructive spells.

((OOC: Casting Jump and Expiditious Retreat on myself while the owlbears approach. The darkness effect is centered on myself, and extends 20 feet in every direction for the next 70 minutes. 20% miss chance on attacks made against people in the shade.
Initiative: 1d20+1=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1161000)))

Diarmuid
2007-07-20, 12:34 PM
Tryntha

Having knelt near the captain, the healer hoped the creatures would pass by, but she had forgotten about the horse. Seeing their attention focused towards them, Tryntha began calling to the spirits of the land to come to her aid.

[roll0]

Begin casting Summon Monster IV bringing into being a Celestial Lion.

barawn
2007-07-20, 01:34 PM
Damian

Damian silently sizes up the oncoming creatures, his crossbow held ready as they grow nearer. The darkness clouding the area unnerves him slightly, and when his eyes fail to locate the source, he switches senses, his eyes shifting to a clear sky blue.

Detect Magic, first time/day.

Noting the emanation from Khazrael, he relaxes slightly. He shoots a harsh but quiet whisper over. "A warning would've been nice."

After that, he silently waits for the creatures to come into range of his crossbow.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-07-20, 05:23 PM
Faluil

Knowing his horse is so visible, Faluil gives it a sharp slap to send it running and mutters a short prayer to Oghma to protect him. For an instant, translucent blue armor covers his body and shimmers before going invisible.

I can only hope these creatures will pass us by peacefully. If not...well they are not natural-looking, that is for certain.

(OOC: Cast mage armor, Initiative = [roll0], hope it goes well)

kuja.girl
2007-07-21, 10:32 AM
Tiriel

Well crap. That was a waste; we only lost the element of surprise. Tiriel thinks bitterly to herself. She's about to stand up when suddenly everything turns dim, not dark, but darker. She doubts that the owl-bear-things cast the spell so she ignores it.

The mention of a wall of fire does pique her interest though. She hisses at Tanner, "No! No wall of fire or whatever it is. At least not near us. We're surrounded by snow and ice, the last thing we need is a river to wade through.
"If you can cast it near the monsters, go ahead. It will slow them down, otherwise it's just a danger to us."

Tiriel hands her pack to Katrine. And after some hesitation, draws her sword realizing that she, the barbarian that downed the worm, and few others are equipped to take the front line. [hr]
ooc: the owlbears are 200 feet away, which is still out of bow shot for Tiriel by 90'. She could probably get 1-2 shots off before they close, but she's just going to draw her sword and get ready to charge them - hopefully putting some distance between the archers and the owlbears. Good idea? I hope some of the others join her.... :smallannoyed:

Naleh
2007-07-21, 05:14 PM
Retay, oxymoronic barbarian-who-doesn't-want-to-fight-close-up

Seeing their cover is blown, and the rest of the party preparing for a fight, Retay quickly lets off two shots, intending to wound the creatures a little before they have to fight.

"What are those things?" he wonders aloud. "And why are there so many things intent on killing us around here?"

[roll0] - initiative
Full-round action to shoot at random owlbears:
[roll1] attack, including bless and range penalty
[roll2] damage, including bless
[roll3] attack, including bless and range penalty
[roll4] damage, including bless

OOC: I believe Retay can fire 141-210ft with a -4 penalty... and from that far away, he's not terribly concerned about being attacked. And, assuming we ever get to Immilmar, losing arrows isn't a problem in his mind. So front-liner or not, he likes to shoot until he's forced to charge. Sure, we want to keep them away from the softer members of the party, but that doesn't negate the strategy of wearing the opponent down first. (Of course, Retay doesn't know the rules about range, or about how many things you can do per round...)

EDIT: Dang it, I got a "You must wait 60 seconds between posts. Please wait 1 second" message, and it's ruined all my rolls. :smallmad:

Naleh
2007-07-21, 05:19 PM
Trying the rolls again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

namo
2007-07-21, 05:30 PM
Adalmar

He gets up from his crouch in the snow, where he was hidden as well as anyone and promptly fires two arrows at the owlbears.

He had taken 10 on Hide => 25.
[roll0]
[roll1] (including prayer bonuses and range penalty)
[roll2] [roll3] (elec.)
[roll4] [roll5] (elec.)

edit: and of course I forgot the Favored Enemy damage : add +2 damage to each arrow.