PDA

View Full Version : Possible hint of Hasbro influence?

Nagalipton
2014-10-11, 10:06 AM
So I just recently scooped up the 5th ed. Monster Manual and was skimming through it with a friend. Page 224 speaks of the creatures called Modrons from the plane of Mechanus. It is said that they serve a god named Primus, which is the same name as the god of the Transformers (also machines). Are these two entities the same person, or is this just a coincidence? I'm kinda hoping I'm onto something here, cause I'm a big fan of crossovers.

Divayth Fyr
2014-10-11, 10:11 AM
I'm kinda hoping I'm onto something here, cause I'm a big fan of crossovers.
That is very doubtful. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons))

Milo v3
2014-10-11, 10:11 AM
So I just recently scooped up the 5th ed. Monster Manual and was skimming through it with a friend. Page 224 speaks of the creatures called Modrons from the plane of Mechanus. It is said that they serve a god named Primus, which is the same name as the god of the Transformers (also machines). Are these two entities the same person, or is this just a coincidence? I'm kinda hoping I'm onto something here, cause I'm a big fan of crossovers.

Primus has been in D&D for a long time, but he isn't a robotic planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)).

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd

Rater202
2014-10-11, 10:13 AM
Possible, but Hasbro has owned Wizards for a while, haven't they?

The Only way you'll know for sure that Hasbro is influencing things is if they release a seireis of setting/Spaltbooks about playing in Hasbro owned settings.

Which would be pretty cool if they did the right ones.

Rfkannen
2014-10-11, 10:13 AM
That would be hillarius! however nah primus was already leader of the modrons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

However I still realy hope they do a crossover because... XD that would be hillarius

Milo v3
2014-10-11, 10:15 AM
Possible, but Hasbro has owned Wizards for a while, haven't they?

The Only way you'll know for sure that Hasbro is influencing things is if they release a seireis of setting/Spaltbooks about playing in Hasbro owned settings.

Which would be pretty cool if they did the right ones.

Primus was around in D&D before wizards owned D&D, so doubtful.

Nagalipton
2014-10-11, 10:38 AM
Oh well, it was a cool idea while it lasted. Thanks for indulging me guys.

HorridElemental
2014-10-11, 06:35 PM
Hasbro could easily retcon anything and say they are the same entity...

They own both D&D and Transformers brand... It wouldn't be to hard on their part.

Telwar
2014-10-11, 07:41 PM
I'm still surprised they didn't do a G.I. Joe d20 Modern setting book. But I suspect Hasbro internal policies would've been in the way of that.

Beleriphon
2014-10-11, 07:42 PM
Primus is god/creator of the modrons living on a gear in Mechanus. He's been around since 1983 and appeared again in Planescape and was created by TSR. I'm fairly certain Orcus in the guise of Tenebrous took over the role for a while, so the link to Primus the Autobot god is probably not there. That said, the similarities between the two are not insignificant.

Rater202
2014-10-11, 08:50 PM
Primus is god/creator of the modrons living on a gear in Mechanus. He's been around since 1983 and appeared again in Planescape and was created by TSR. I'm fairly certain Orcus in the guise of Tenebrous took over the role for a while, so the link to Primus the Autobot god is probably not there. That said, the similarities between the two are not insignificant.

I'm sorry for the Nitpic, but Tenebrous wasn't a guise of Orcus as much as Orcus using his powers as the Demon Lord of Undead to return as an undead after being slain.

Then he either got rezzed or there was a Retcon(I'm Fuzzy on the details) and I'm not 100% sure, but I think Tenebrous got shunted off as a seperate entity(The Vestige? Or is that an other Tenebrous?)

Beleriphon
2014-10-11, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry for the Nitpic, but Tenebrous wasn't a guise of Orcus as much as Orcus using his powers as the Demon Lord of Undead to return as an undead after being slain.

Then he either got rezzed or there was a Retcon(I'm Fuzzy on the details) and I'm not 100% sure, but I think Tenebrous got shunted off as a seperate entity(The Vestige? Or is that an other Tenebrous?)

Fine fine, Orcus got ganked and came back Tenebrous who used some word of power to kill Primus and prented to be the Modron god. Then Tenebrous gets killed (wasn't that a Planescape adventure?) and Primus comes back after one of the Secundi ascends. I think that was the order of events anyways.

BRKNdevil
2014-10-11, 10:54 PM
On that note, in 3.5 Orcus was revived in the Nine Hells as Orcus again, losing his divinity of Tenebrous. Which he was overall fine with since he wanted to come back as a the God Orcus, not the God Tenebrous. However the Divinity of Tenebrous prevented a True Death and Tenebrous was fragmented and made a vestige. In an article from the Dragon, and I think also in the archives of Wizard, you can also find the fragmented divinity of Primus as a Vestige as well. I'm assuming its because that is because Secundus had taken their sweet time ascending. So Remember, If you are a god and die, you will likely just end up as a broken personality that has been shunted off this plane of existence. I'm Honestly not sure if that is worse though.

Objulen
2014-10-12, 12:05 AM
On that note, in 3.5 Orcus was revived in the Nine Hells as Orcus again, losing his divinity of Tenebrous. Which he was overall fine with since he wanted to come back as a the God Orcus, not the God Tenebrous. However the Divinity of Tenebrous prevented a True Death and Tenebrous was fragmented and made a vestige. In an article from the Dragon, and I think also in the archives of Wizard, you can also find the fragmented divinity of Primus as a Vestige as well. I'm assuming its because that is because Secundus had taken their sweet time ascending. So Remember, If you are a god and die, you will likely just end up as a broken personality that has been shunted off this plane of existence. I'm Honestly not sure if that is worse though.

How did he get Asmodeus to overlook a Demon Prince being reborn on his plane?

SiuiS
2014-10-12, 12:43 AM

Primus, the one and the prime, shows up in 1e sources of AD&D at the latest, as the ruler of Mechanus. His left hand is encased in black ony void, his right in cascading incandescence. A strike from one will transport a victim without fail to the land of most lawful evil, the other to the land of most lawful good. He existed before hasbro bought the franchise.

This is an appeal to roots, not a cash grab.

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/elpintogrande/may09/modron6_img.gif

E: I wonder if anyone will get the meta humor of people posting the same answer about modrons despite the routine no longer being needed...

Cambrian
2014-10-12, 12:50 AM
Does that mean we get Transformers in the next monster manual?

Seriously, what other awesome IP does Hasbro have to include in a MM?

Objulen
2014-10-12, 01:22 AM
TBH, D&D already has mechanical Modoron, mechanical Inevitables (also from Mechanus), and a variety of machine-looking golems. All you really need to make then into Transformers is give them Polymorph and a fitting fluff description of how their's operates.

Elana
2014-10-12, 02:14 AM
Does that mean we get Transformers in the next monster manual?

Seriously, what other awesome IP does Hasbro have to include in a MM?
My little pony?

Oh wait, they're already in the MM.
They just need to work on their colors and add alicorns to the mix ;)

Abithrios
2014-10-12, 02:55 AM
I am pretty sure Orcus came back because someone accidentally dropped a really heavy pig. Poor guy...