PDA

View Full Version : Help, I can't walk unless I'm nude!

Variable Arcana
2007-03-16, 01:50 PM
Now that I've got your attention with a slightly exaggerated title-line...

I need some help understanding the carrying-capacity/encumbrance rules.

I'm generating a low-level wizard with a strength of 8, and encumbrance is becoming a problem (at higher levels -- with more cash -- I'd buy a haversack and not worry about it).

With a strength of 8, medium size, a light load is anything up to 26 lbs.

Begin with the absolute basics:
8 lbs: Explorer's Outfit
1 lbs: Dagger
2 lbs: Backpack
5 lbs: Bedroll
4 lbs: Waterskin
4 lbs: 4 days trail rations
3 lbs: Spellbook
2 lbs: Spell Component Pouch

Without a tent, torch, staff or so much as a potion or scroll or cloak of resistance... My wizard is already lugging around 29 lbs of gear -- a medium load, slowing him to 20' movement and restricting his dex bonus.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just buy a pack-mule with all the hassle that entails?

Is there an enormous untapped market for low-level pouches of holding (a pouch that could hold a 4 lb waterskin and 6 lbs of food without encumbrance would easily be worth a 500 gp outlay, and I'd probably spend 1000 gp for something that would take 20 lbs off my encumbrance at this level -- the 10' of movement alone would make it worthwhile over a +1 cloak of resistance).

ZekeArgo
2007-03-16, 01:53 PM

I'm generating a low-level wizard with a strength of 8, and encumbrance is becoming a problem (at higher levels -- with more cash -- I'd buy a haversack and not worry about it).

Without a tent, torch, staff or so much as a potion or scroll or cloak of resistance... My wizard is already lugging around 29 lbs of gear -- a medium load, slowing him to 20' movement and restricting his dex bonus.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just buy a pack-mule with all the hassle that entails?

Is there an enormous untapped market for low-level pouches of holding (a pouch that could hold a 4 lb waterskin and 6 lbs of food without encumbrance would easily be worth a 500 gp outlay, and I'd probably spend 1000 gp for something that would take 20 lbs off my encumbrance at this level -- the 10' of movement alone would make it worthwhile over a +1 cloak of resistance).

The clothes your wearing do not count toward weight or encumberance first off. So without that your well under the light weight limit. Also, how low is low-level? There are quite a few ways to make due with a low STR, but really you should follow your own suggestion: just pickup a cheap pack mule and maybe a cart. Don't try to use it for dungeon craziness, just hide it well and go about your business

Jacob Orlove
2007-03-16, 01:53 PM
1) Whatever clothing you actually wear doesn't count towards encumbrance.
2) Yeah, get a mule for mundane supplies, or just have the fighter or whoever carry stuff like rations for you.

Neek
2007-03-16, 01:56 PM
You're not doing anything wrong (as a note, I thinking seeing someone actually care about encumberance is a little different--nearly none of the campaigns I've been in ever actually concerned themselves with this factor of the gameplay).

There aren't many options to cut weight. The gear you have is essential. You could possibly ask the big guy in the party if he could carry your stuff, or perhaps get a pack animal. A pack animal may not be enjoyed just by yourself, so it's good to remember that.

[edit]Oh, forgot that clothing doesn't effect encumberance, as the two previous people simu-ninjad. So there we go.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-16, 01:56 PM
Ouch.

Yeah, a Handy Haversack is pretty much your only option. When you gain a level or two, a Tenser's Floating Disk will greatly alleviate your encumbrance concerns. However at 1 hour/level, it doesn't really do you much good. How low is your level and what sort of cash do you have left over to work with?

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-16, 01:58 PM
Hey, the fighter is finally useful outside combat! He's the groupie that carries everything.

broderickdruce
2007-03-16, 02:00 PM
Everyone says ''Get a PACK MULE'', I say get a RIDING DOG with a pack saddle. Mules generally won't follow you into a cave or dungeon (not in our games anyways) but a dog wouldn't have too much trouble with it. And if there is a halfling or gnome in the party and the dog dies, you can put the saddle on sed halfling or gnome!

Fax Celestis
2007-03-16, 02:03 PM
Conversely, play a nudist character.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-16, 02:04 PM
I play a rogue with 8 Str in a campaign where my wife and I swap out DM-duty. The barbarian carries my pack, so I only have to carry the essentials. Okay, his masterwork studded-leather could be a little lighter, but he survives...

Variable Arcana
2007-03-16, 02:19 PM
Ah -- no encumbrance for clothing. *nod* I knew I forgot something.

To answer a few of the questions -- 3rd level character, with 2500 gp starting wealth -- but at 300 gp a pop, a few extra 2nd level spells eat into that quite a bit.

The problem with getting a pack mule is that this is going to be one of those kidnapped-in-your-sleep starting hooks (or something like that) so that mounts are out.

Re: caring about encumbrance... my main concern is mobility. A low-level wizard who can't keep a fighter between him and the monster (to prevent a "charge" and threaten AoOs) is a dead wizard.

Telonius
2007-03-16, 02:23 PM
Ask the party tank to carry your non-wizardy stuff. Alternately, get yourself a pack mule, riding dog, horse, or nodwick.

ZekeArgo
2007-03-16, 02:26 PM
Everyone says ''Get a PACK MULE'', I say get a RIDING DOG with a pack saddle. Mules generally won't follow you into a cave or dungeon (not in our games anyways) but a dog wouldn't have too much trouble with it. And if there is a halfling or gnome in the party and the dog dies, you can put the saddle on sed halfling or gnome!

You may want to take a look at the discription of the mule in the PHB, since it specifically says the mule *will* follow you in a cave or dungeon.

Tobrian
2007-03-16, 03:00 PM
(Is it wrong that I thought of Elan when I saw the thread title?)

Arg. I have a halfling rogue/bard with only STR 06! I'm glad our gamemaster doesn't look too closely at encumbrance unless a character starts to carry two swords, three backpacks and the print edition of the Encyclopedia Britannia.

Hey, the fighter is finally useful outside combat! He's the groupie that carries everything.

If the fighter is strong enough he could carry the wizard on his back, too, Thunderdome-style. :smallwink:

Wizard: "Heya! Faster, Snowmane, faster!" *snaps whip*

My little pony...
Maybe the fighter will enjoy the bit and bridle. And the wizard could take ranks in Ride (meatshield). :smallamused:

My mind is in a very dirty place. :smallbiggrin:

Tellah
2007-03-16, 03:13 PM
Also, there's no particular reason you need to carry around your spellbook. Put some sort of security around it--thugs, traps, exploding runes, be creative-- and leave it back at the Mages' Guild.

Tobrian
2007-03-16, 03:15 PM
Also, there's no particular reason you need to carry around your spellbook. Put some sort of security around it--thugs, traps, exploding runes, be creative-- and leave it back at the Mages' Guild.

Won't he, sort of, you know, need his traveling spellbook while he's adventuring? Unless it's a very short round trip.

Dausuul
2007-03-16, 03:19 PM

First, as others have said, your clothing doesn't count toward encumbrance.

Second, as others still have said, the party fighter can carry your stuff if necessary.

Third, if you do end up carrying it yourself, your "travelling kit" (rations, waterskin, bedroll, et cetera) should be in a pack that you can dump as a free action at the first sign of combat. When the battle is over, you can pick it up again. Chances are the party fighter will be in medium or heavy armor anyway, so you won't slow down the group.

(Note: Unlike the rest of your travelling kit, your spellbook and component pouch should be in something firmly attached to your person. If you end up having to run and leave your rations behind, you can share with someone else until you get a chance to buy more or recover the lost items, but you don't get that option with your spellbook.)

Fourth, you can usually put multiple people in one tent, so let the fighter carry that too. Alternatively, pick up endure elements and cast it on yourself when you camp, then spread your bedroll in the midst of a howling blizzard and sleep comfortably.

Douglas
2007-03-16, 03:19 PM
Maybe the fighter will enjoy the bit and bridle. And the wizard could take ranks in Ride (meatshield). :smallamused:
Have the wizard take Mounted Combat too, and the meatshield might actually appreciate that.

Dervag
2007-03-16, 03:23 PM

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just buy a pack-mule with all the hassle that entails?Probably.

Is there an enormous untapped market for low-level pouches of holding (a pouch that could hold a 4 lb waterskin and 6 lbs of food without encumbrance would easily be worth a 500 gp outlay, and I'd probably spend 1000 gp for something that would take 20 lbs off my encumbrance at this level -- the 10' of movement alone would make it worthwhile over a +1 cloak of resistance).How much would you spend for a pack donkey?

Granted, then you wouldn't be able to carry your week's supply of iron rations and your bedroll into the dungeon, but if you have to abandon your pack beast you should probably stick that stuff in a cache anyway.

Think of adventuring as being like camping. If you're not in good physical condition, you probably won't try to carry enough camping gear to stay out for several days on your back. Certainly a strong and healthy person can do it; your wizard can't.

Now, if your wizard were camping, and he were a STR 8 thin pasty guy, then he would instead go car camping, using the car as a base camp. Of course, a car can't go off road, which limits your mobility. But a donkey can go off road, carrying a large amount of goods, including pretty much everything you don't specifically need to carry into a dungeon.

Is there an enormous untapped market for low-level pouches of holding (a pouch that could hold a 4 lb waterskin and 6 lbs of food without encumbrance would easily be worth a 500 gp outlay, and I'd probably spend 1000 gp for something that would take 20 lbs off my encumbrance at this level -- the 10' of movement alone would make it worthwhile over a +1 cloak of resistance).How much would you spend for a pack donkey, by comparison. The pack donkey really does solve most of your encumbrance problems, even if it creates a new set of problems all its own.

It's very true to life. Pretty much every army or group that travelled, ever since history began, used pack beasts to carry their extraneous heavy stuff.

Krellen
2007-03-16, 03:40 PM
Ah -- no encumbrance for clothing. *nod* I knew I forgot something.
You might also just go with lighter clothes: the Artisan's, Entertainer's and Traveler's outfits will all bring you under (or to) 26 lbs.

As a bonus, the Traveler's outfit comes with a hooded cloak, which is way cooler, especially for a wizard, than the Explorer's wide-brimmed hat.

Mael
2007-03-16, 03:52 PM
Also, throw out your spell component pouch and take the feat that lets you not care. Otherwise it's just a matter of time before the DM asks whether you've replaced all the bat guano you've used :)

draca
2007-03-16, 03:56 PM
First, as others have said, your clothing doesn't count toward encumbrance.

Second, as others still have said, the party fighter can carry your stuff if necessary.

Third, if you do end up carrying it yourself, your "travelling kit" (rations, waterskin, bedroll, et cetera) should be in a pack that you can dump as a free action at the first sign of combat. When the battle is over, you can pick it up again.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Dausuul. I had a low strength Mage/Theif once upon a time. He carried about 10 pounds of essentials on him, in pockets, or in his book sachel (secured tightly), and had the rest in a backpack -- which hit the ground at the first sign of combat. When he was hurt, or feeling whiney the barbarian would carry the backpack for him.

Saph
2007-03-16, 04:33 PM
I've been having this same problem with my wizard. 8 Strength makes it really hard to carry stuff, particularly once you start factoring in all those other things that you don't really need but would like to have - backup spell component pouch, light crossbow, extra books and kit . . . It gets really bad once you start picking things up in the dungeon. How are you going to carry that 300 gp? Give it to the Fighter? Better hope nothing happens to him!

I finally hit the level where I could just get a Handy Haversack and forget about it. But at low levels inside dungeons, you're likely to end up relying on the party dwarf to act as your pack mule - which means that if he loses his gear, so do you.

- Saph

Rigeld2
2007-03-16, 04:38 PM
Wand of Floating Disk is greater than any pack mule.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm

Jasdoif
2007-03-16, 04:40 PM
Well, someone's already mentioned floating disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm), which is designed for encumbrance issues...Let's try some creative thinking. (I make no claim that these ideas are feasible or sensical.)

Look through the spells you have; see how many of them don't have material components or focii. If none your spells need them, you don't need to lug around a spell component pouch. Eschew Materials is even better in this respect, but that'll cost you a feat that you might have other plans for.

Mithral gear can be useful since anything made of metal can be made out mithral for half the weight, but in this case all you'd get is the dagger. It'd only cost you an extra 200gp over the cost of a masterwork dagger, but 200gp for a half-pound weight reduction might not be the best of deals.

Mage Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mageHand.htm) will let you move a 5lb object for as long as you concentrate.

Mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mount.htm) summons...a mount. Someone would have to lug around a 15lb pack saddle, and you'd need the material component (though if anyone in the party actually has a horse, that won't be a problem), but a light horse with a heavy load can run as fast as a human with a light load, and the heavy load is up to 450 lbs., which will more then make up the difference. Lasts two hours per level, twice as long as floating disk, and has a better upper limit until you get caster level 5.

squishycube
2007-03-16, 04:49 PM
"should be in a pack that you can dump as a free action at the first sign of combat"

There was a thread about this recently. Bottom line: Dropping a backpack from you back is not a free action.

Miles Invictus
2007-03-16, 04:52 PM
Can someone tell me where to find the rule about clothing not contributing to encumbrance? I didn't see it in the SRD, though I may have been looking in the wrong section.

Jasdoif
2007-03-16, 04:59 PM
Can someone tell me where to find the rule about clothing not contributing to encumbrance? I didn't see it in the SRD, though I may have been looking in the wrong section.I think it was in the Player's Handbook, saying the first set of clothing a first-level character starts with doesn't cost anything and doesn't contribute to encumbrance. Being related to creating a character, it's not in the SRD.

goat
2007-03-16, 05:03 PM
Refuse to travel anywhere without a team of six loyal sherpas.

Krellen
2007-03-16, 05:07 PM
Can someone tell me where to find the rule about clothing not contributing to encumbrance? I didn't see it in the SRD, though I may have been looking in the wrong section.
I'm not sure there is one. The first set of clothing is free, but I don't remember anything about it not having encumbrance. However, I've never played with a group that tracked encumbrance of the regular everyday clothes of characters.

Diggorian
2007-03-16, 06:12 PM
3.5 PHB pg. 131, first paragraph after the Clothing subheading: first set of threads is on the house and doesnt count towards the amount ya carry.

If it didnt, nudism would be rampant in the game and D&D would gain even more ill-fame. :smallamused:

You can free up some weight from rations by taking 10 on a Survival check to scrape up some grub outside of cities.

Blackdrop
2007-03-16, 06:31 PM
Or http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0027.html (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/../comics/oots0027.html)

Tobrian
2007-03-16, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tobrian View Post
Maybe the fighter will enjoy the bit and bridle. And the wizard could take ranks in Ride (meatshield)Have the wizard take Mounted Combat too, and the meatshield might actually appreciate that.

"Dude, why is your wizard feeding your fighter sugar cubes and carrots, and calling him 'horsie'?"
"The wizard threatened to polymorph him into a real horse if he doesnt play along."

The word "saddle-sore" gets a whole new meaning... :smallwink:

Dark
2007-03-16, 07:14 PM
Be an elf so that you don't need a bedroll :smallbiggrin:

TroyXavier
2007-03-16, 07:32 PM
I once played in a game with a character with a strength of 3. (We were playing extreme stats) I used a cart and horse to carry my stuff.

Maerok
2007-03-16, 08:20 PM
Try a portable hole. Can those be tied like a belt or bandolier when not in hole-mode? I'd like to see a matador use a portable hole instead of a red cape.

Aquillion
2007-03-16, 08:59 PM
Also, why are you carrying a waterskin? Create Water is a cantrip, so there shouldn't be any chance of running out; unless you're adventuring in the desert with no clerics or druids, there's no reason why everyone on the party would need to carry their own water supply.

Just mooch off your friends--have them carry stuff for you, use their water or food, whatever. They'll be more than happy to do it rather than having to constantly cover for you in combat because you can't carry any useful equipment.

Collin152
2007-03-16, 09:17 PM
Also, why are you carrying a waterskin? Create Water is a cantrip, so there shouldn't be any chance of running out; unless you're adventuring in the desert with no clerics or druids, there's no reason why everyone on the party would need to carry their own water supply.

Just mooch off your friends--have them carry stuff for you, use their water or food, whatever. They'll be more than happy to do it rather than having to constantly cover for you in combat because you can't carry any useful equipment.
(Read the following in the voice of Grandpa Simpson)
"What the- arcane might is not a solution to everyday problems! In my day I used to walk 17 miles through the snow to my spellbook, uphill, both ways! And that was just to memorize a knock spell to get my frozen over outhouse to open! And you're just throwing around spells like they were jellybeans! For Shaaaaaaaaaaame!"

Amphimir Míriel
2007-03-16, 11:56 PM

Rüdiger Nehberg, a german explorer, survival expert, and real-life-mcguyver used to tell that when he wanted to explore the blue nile, he found someone who wanted to go with him... This guy started talking and talking about all the stuff (and staff!!) they needed to make the trip

"Oh sure I want to go and explore the Blue Nile with you... I have thought of bringing along a catamaran... Yes I know they get stuck frequently, so that's why a Land Rover is indispensable... and let's not forget to bring along a boy that will serve tea and cold whiskey"

Of course Nehberg dismissed this clown and went on to explore the Blue Nile in a home-made boat with a few friends... And let me tell you that even today, this is no day trip; the Blue Nile is famous for its bandits, huge crocodiles, parasites, hostile locals... did I mention huge crocodiles?

Later in 1981 he criscrossed Germany without any special equipment and relying for his sustenance solely on what he was able to find in nature, while being followed by a camera team... in 1987 he crossed the atlantic in a pedal boat. And in 2000 he crossed it again in a fir tree!

This guy's real, look him up, read his books...

---

Ehem! Back to the point in hand...

Really man! get a mule or three, plus some henchmen to guard them!

Did you really think that a medieval knight had less than 3 horses? No way! he had to have one palfrey for riding (light horse), plus a pack horse for his stuff (heavy horse) plus one or two warhorses... And this is only for him! Add a cart and a couple of mules if he was travelling with a small entourage.

Seffbasilisk
2007-03-17, 03:35 AM
Go size small. Your carrying capacity goes down what? 1/4? But everything weights about 1/2.

Caelestion
2007-03-17, 06:43 AM
I once played a Diminutive creature with Str 8 (mostly for laughs). It was just as well it was a monk type character because he could carry about 2.5 lbs and be doine with it!

Crueldespot
2007-03-17, 09:07 PM
I agree that being size small is a net gain in carrying capacity. Armor and weapons weigh half, but rations, bedroll, etc weigh 1/4 for size small.

However, the best race for a wizard is grey elf (if your DM allows them) due to the INT bonus with no level adjustment. If you can't play a grey elf, you should play a gnome for the size small perks.

I strongly disagree with the proposal to leave your spellbook at home. Read the PHB p177-178. You can't prepare spells without a spellbook. If the trips lasts longer than one day you are hosed.

I would ditch almost all the rations. Somebody in your group will have survive skill or you can stay in inns/houses while you travel, or you can mooch of of someone else's rations, or if your group has a druid (and every group should ) you will already have acid reflux from eating 8 full meals worth of goodberries every day anyway.

Lord Tataraus
2007-03-17, 09:30 PM
I once played in a game with a character with a strength of 3. (We were playing extreme stats) I used a cart and horse to carry my stuff.

Hey, you beat my Kobold with 4 Str, but then he can only carry 9lbs as small. Fortunately, he is a dex based soulknife/swordsage (26 Dex :smalltongue: ) so the only equipment he has, he throws to the barbarian with 26 str and powerful build (holds 4 tons when raged). Talk about extremes.

Caelestion
2007-03-17, 09:35 PM
Spot the half-dragon legendary Minotaur who can powerlift an articulated lorry when he's not in a rush...

Collin152
2007-03-17, 09:39 PM
Hey, you beat my Kobold with 4 Str, but then he can only carry 9lbs as small. Fortunately, he is a dex based soulknife/swordsage (26 Dex :smalltongue: ) so the only equipment he has, he throws to the barbarian with 26 str and powerful build (holds 4 tons when raged). Talk about extremes.
4 tons? Wow. I find that extremely suspicious.

Caelestion
2007-03-17, 09:46 PM
Hmmm. The top-end of Medium Encumbrance (to still allow uncanny dodge and fast movement) is 613 lbs for Str 26 or 1064 lbs for Str 30. If Powerful Build allows you to be Large for encumbrance purposes, that means, even when raged, he can only effectively carry almost one Imperial ton (2128 lbs of 2240 lbs) and still be useful.

nows7
2007-03-18, 09:54 AM
Wizard: "Heya! Faster, Snowmane, faster!" *snaps whip*

My little pony...

My mind is in a very dirty place. :smallbiggrin:

Mental image i don't need, thank you.

Pocket lint
2007-03-18, 12:40 PM
I was in a party like that in Rokugan. 5-PC party of about 20 people and at least 10 horses. And a litter. That shugenja didn't travel light...

Yvian
2007-03-18, 02:56 PM
"should be in a pack that you can dump as a free action at the first sign of combat"

There was a thread about this recently. Bottom line: Dropping a backpack from you back is not a free action.

Then get a sack and throw it over your back. When in combat just let it go. Sure, it can not hold as much as a backback, but it should work. [As a DM I would cut down carry capacity and count it as a swift action.]

Woot Spitum
2007-03-18, 10:30 PM
The problem with getting a pack mule is that this is going to be one of those kidnapped-in-your-sleep starting hooks (or something like that) so that mounts are out.

Then you probably won't have basic gear, and won't pick up tents, rations, and sundries until you have the time and leisure to get a mule as well.

To lighten the load further: You don't need the dagger. Wizards and melee combat not involving Shapechange = dead wizards.

clericwithnogod
2007-03-18, 11:18 PM
Maybe dump the bedroll and get a hammock (1 lb.) from the Arms and Equipment guide. Wrap yourself in your cloak (part of your Explorer's Outfit) for warmth.

I just went through this putting together a Beguiler, which is worse. You can't fight worth a damn but you get proficiency with the Rapier so of course you take one...and the Short Bow...and Arrows - which weigh 3 freakin' pounds...and of course a Mithril Shirt at 10 lbs...belt pouch 1 lb...Thieves Tools 2 lbs - because masterwork toold weigh twice as much...and maybe a Mithril Buckler. By the time you're done, even with the HHH, you're still putting a 10 in STR and 8 in CHA to allow yourself the illusion of versatility. It's a kind of odd situation where "traveling light" means carrying your haversack everywhere otherwise everytime you pick something up it slows you down.

"I lift the belt pouch with the key in it while the guard is distracted."
"You succeed, but are noticed, roll initiative. You win initiative."
"I tumble back and run away."
"You can't tumble. His belt pouch has put you over your weight limit."
"I run away. *takes big whack from guards polearm* "Ouch!"
"The guard catches up to you." *whacks him with guard's polearm"
"Ouch! I run away. *takes big whack from guards polearm* "Ouch!"
"Ouch! Goddammit! I drop the pouch and tumble away, then run like hell. The rest of the party can rot in jail for all I care." *escapes*

barawn
2007-03-18, 11:21 PM
To lighten the load further: You don't need the dagger. Wizards and melee combat not involving Shapechange = dead wizards.

Bah! Even first-level wizards have sufficient spells to make themselves useful in melee combat if you want to take that route.

However, a wizard's best use in melee combat (once spells run out) is flanking and Aid Another, not a direct attack, since the chance of you hitting is so godawful low. Which means yeah, skip the dagger, and just use an unarmed strike.

clericwithnogod
2007-03-18, 11:28 PM
Maybe dump the bedroll and get a hammock (1 lb.) from the Arms and Equipment guide. Wrap yourself in your cloak (part of your Explorer's Outfit) for warmth.

I just went through this putting together a Beguiler, which is worse. You can't fight worth a damn but you get proficiency with the Rapier so of course you take one...and the Short Bow...and Arrows - which weigh 3 freakin' pounds...and of course a Mithril Shirt at 10 lbs...belt pouch 1 lb...Thieves Tools 2 lbs - because masterwork toold weigh twice as much...and maybe a Mithril Buckler. By the time you're done, even with the HHH, you're still putting a 10 in STR and 8 in CHA to allow yourself the illusion of versatility. It's a kind of odd situation where "traveling light" means carrying your haversack everywhere otherwise everytime you pick something up it slows you down.

"I lift the belt pouch with the key in it while the guard is distracted."
"You succeed, but are noticed, roll initiative. You win initiative."
"I tumble back and run away."
"You can't tumble. His belt pouch has put you over your weight limit."
"I run away. *takes big whack from guards polearm* "Ouch!"
"Ouch! I run away. *takes big whack from guards polearm* "Ouch!"
"Ouch! Goddammit! I drop the pouch and tumble away, then run like hell. The rest of the party can rot in jail for all I care." *escapes*

Collin152
2007-03-19, 12:04 AM
Bah! Even first-level wizards have sufficient spells to make themselves useful in melee combat if you want to take that route.

However, a wizard's best use in melee combat (once spells run out) is flanking and Aid Another, not a direct attack, since the chance of you hitting is so godawful low. Which means yeah, skip the dagger, and just use an unarmed strike.
When you find a first levels spell that bossts hit die and base attack bonus, let me know.

Leon
2007-03-19, 07:16 AM
Go VoP

Use a Non standard Spellbook such as body tattoo's

Jayabalard
2007-03-19, 08:00 AM
then again, a real set of normal clothing doesn't weigh 8 lbs either.

Sahegian
2007-03-19, 08:42 AM
then again, a real set of normal clothing doesn't weigh 8 lbs either.

I don't know. Take away all the really light synthetics we use and then weigh a normal set of outdoor clothing. I bet it would weigh 8-10lbs easily enough. A pair of leather boots probably weighs upwards of 5lbs.

It would vary a lot by culture and climate too though. I doubt most African tribal garb weighs more than a pound or two, while your typical eskimo is probably weighed down quite a bit more.

Pocket lint
2007-03-19, 08:43 AM
Even Gandalf rode a cart when he needed to. No reason why your wizard couldn't do the same.

storybookknight
2007-03-19, 12:04 PM
Em, to add something helpful to the discussion, if I may, scrolls of first level spells are very cheap. The aforementioned Floating Disk and Mount could be yours for a mere 25 gp! Forget the very minor bag of holding at 500!

Variable Arcana
2007-03-19, 03:19 PM
Scrolls...

True... but the 25 gp versions are at CL:1, which means the mount lasts two hours and the disk lasts one. So, that's 4 scrolls of Mount and 8 scrolls of Disc each day, for a total of 300 gp -- not a bargain. A week's worth of 8 hour days would cost as much as the Haversack.

Aquillion
2007-03-19, 04:01 PM
To lighten the load further: You don't need the dagger. Wizards and melee combat not involving Shapechange = dead wizards.I agree that the dagger is optional if you have to dump something, but it's worth keeping if you can make room for it. Being armed is good for a number of reasons unrelated to normal melee rolls: You can threaten squares, make attacks of opportunity (even if they're unlikely to hit, they're still free), cause people to be flanked, Coup de Grace in a pinch, and so on. Nothing hugely useful, and hopefully you won't get close enough for it to matter too often, but it doesn't really cost you anything aside from the sliver of weight, which can be freed up much more effectively by having someone carry non-combat things like food, water, and your bedroll.

Vodun
2007-03-19, 11:27 PM
The thing about DnD is that it seems to have picked the weights of things somewhat arbitrarily, for example youll be hard-won to find a dagger nowadays that actually weighs one pound, maybe a bigger knife, but not a dagger.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-20, 09:33 AM
Vodun- The word "dagger" is used in D&D to refer to large knives -- anything too small to be called a shortsword. It doesn't necessarily refer to the tiny, easily concealed stabbing weapons historically referred to as daggers.

Baalzebub
2007-03-20, 09:37 AM
And that's why we removed the carrying capacity of the house rules...

But yeah, use the fighter or a mule. Same str, sometimes same int.

Jayabalard
2007-03-20, 10:01 AM
I don't know. Take away all the really light synthetics we use and then weigh a normal set of outdoor clothing. I bet it would weigh 8-10lbs easily enough. A pair of leather boots probably weighs upwards of 5lbs.

It would vary a lot by culture and climate too though. I doubt most African tribal garb weighs more than a pound or two, while your typical eskimo is probably weighed down quite a bit more.IMO: "eskimo" clothing would not fall under normal clothing; it's specialized cold weather clothing (even if it is "normal" for people in that geographic region to wear it. Nor would a heavy pair of leather boots; that's borderline armor.

remember, padded armor, which is quite a bit thicker and heavier than a set of normal clothes, only weights 10; a normal set of clothes should be no more than half of that.

Krellen
2007-03-20, 10:30 AM
The thing about DnD is that it seems to have picked the weights of things somewhat arbitrarily, for example youll be hard-won to find a dagger nowadays that actually weighs one pound, maybe a bigger knife, but not a dagger.
Many times claimed, never proven. Medieval swords weighed approximately what D&D says they do, for instance. As for the 'dagger', we have much stronger and lightweight metals today than we did 1,000 years ago.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-20, 10:54 AM
Medieval swords weighed approximately what D&D says they do, for instance.
Ah yes... This is something I have often found confusing about modern people.

The confusing thing is when you try to explain that yes, a rapier did weigh about the same as a 'long' sword. The whole difference was in the distribution of the weight. They tell me I have no idea what I am talking about and I just smile and shake my head. I mean, it is not like you can't just ask at a museum...

Raum
2007-03-20, 05:02 PM
Many times claimed, never proven. Medieval swords weighed approximately what D&D says they do, for instance. As for the 'dagger', we have much stronger and lightweight metals today than we did 1,000 years ago.No, D&D tends to be high when compared to historical weapons. With smaller weapons they aren't too high, but with the hammers and two hand weapons? It's obvious the writers had never handled a good replica. Here's a good essay (http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html) on two hand sword weights. For other weapons, just go to your nearest museum an find out the actual weights of archaeological finds.

This comes up often, and while I've seen a variety of resources show lighter historical weights, the only heavy historical weapons references were ceremonial rather than used for combat.