PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Most powerful/versatile 5E character build so far?

Endarire
2014-10-12, 12:10 PM
Greetings, all!

I took my first read for myself of the 5E PHB and MM last night. My gut reaction was, "They gutted magic!" and "The PHB looked fine until they gimped the spell organization section!"

But I digress.

Considering that Wizard is probably the most powerful class overall, and that many Wizard spells base their power off the caster's character level (not Wizard/caster level), I believe the following is the best overall 5E build so far as of today, October 12, 2014. (By 'best' I mean most able to survive and be an asset to himself and his party from a level 1 - level 20 basis.)

Gnome Rogue1/Wizard19

Start with 17 INT (15 base + 2 race). Put your 13 into DEX and go DEX Gnome for +1 DEX. Ensure you have enough CON to feel comfortable. Other stats are not so important from what I can tell.

If your group uses feats, grab the Alert feat ASAP! It's better than 3.5's and 4E's Improved Initiative! Get trained in Stealth and Perception and perhaps Disable Device. Rogue1 is there for the skills and proficiencies; your goal is to sneak around and effectively be invisible while you cast your high DC/no save spells.

Beyond this, choose whatever Wizard track you fancy.

Any better character builds out there?

Bellberith
2014-10-12, 12:17 PM
Greetings, all!

I took my first read for myself of the 5E PHB and MM last night. My gut reaction was, "They gutted magic!" and "The PHB looked fine until they gimped the spell organization section!"

But I digress.

Considering that Wizard is probably the most powerful class overall, and that many Wizard spells base their power off the caster's character level (not Wizard/caster level), I believe the following is the best overall 5E build so far as of today, October 12, 2014. (By 'best' I mean most able to survive and be an asset to himself and his party from a level 1 - level 20 basis.)

Gnome Rogue1/Wizard19

Start with 17 INT (15 base + 2 race). Put your 13 into DEX and go DEX Gnome for +1 DEX. Ensure you have enough CON to feel comfortable. Other stats are not so important from what I can tell.

If your group uses feats, grab the Alert feat ASAP! It's better than 3.5's and 4E's Improved Initiative! Get trained in Stealth and Perception and perhaps Disable Device. Rogue1 is there for the skills and proficiencies; your goal is to sneak around and effectively be invisible while you cast your high DC/no save spells.

Beyond this, choose whatever Wizard track you fancy.

I like Battle-Master Fighter 11 / Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer 9

You can hold person as a bonus action (quicken) and then process to chop them up with 6 auto-critical hits (3 attack action and 3 action surge)

or do something like have haste active then attack 7x (3 action, 3 action surge, 1 haste) and bonus action scorching ray.

Animate a bunch of tiny object to supplement damage when not doing either of the other 2 is awesome aswell.

with movement based spells such as misty step, haste, dimension door. people will be hard-pressed to escape the onslaught.

edge2054
2014-10-12, 12:31 PM
Greetings, all!

Gnome Rogue1/Wizard19

Have you read cunning action? Seems like it would work well with your stealthy caster idea and it's only one more level in rogue.

Ghost Nappa
2014-10-12, 02:21 PM
I don't know about the strongest, but the Weakest is probably an even level split between all of the classes.

I think you should change the title from "Most Powerful" to "Most Versatile" since that's closer to your question.

AmbientRaven
2014-10-12, 06:23 PM
TBH most versatile I think is a 18 Lore Bard/2Warlock

Full caster, can get 9-12 Skill Proficiencies, of which 4 are expertise.
Gets 4 1D10+5 attacks a turn as a cantrip, has full utility spells as well. Also can take 8 spells from ANY caster list, including 9th level spells.
It Damages, it controls, it is a Skill Monkey. Very versatile

18 Valor Bard/2 Fighter, if you prefur using bows over magic as damage
18th level caster, can get 7 Skill Proficiency, of which 4 are expertise.
Take Swiftquiver. 4D10+20 a turn with +2 to hit, action surge and second wind. Has full utility spells as well. Also can take 6 spells from ANY caster list, including 9th level spells.

Shadow
2014-10-12, 06:59 PM

Gets 4 1D10+5 attacks a turn as a cantrip, has full utility spells as well. Also can take 8 spells from ANY caster list, including 9th level spells.

This is what I was going to say. Lore bard 18 / warlock 2 with the urchin or criminal background is the most versatile character you can create.
Take agonizing blast and repelling blast as your invocations for at will damage and control.
Cha/Dex build with a rapier and a spell component pouch (rather than an instrument). Defensive Duelist then gives you range/melee/casting/defense all in one with only a rapier in hand.

you can melee (not well, but you can do it if needed)
you have decent AC normally
you have excellent AC vs one attack per round
you have excellent at will damage
you have at will control
you have excellent spell based versatile control options
you you can buff/support the party
you can debuff enemies
you can heal
you get 8 spells from other spell lists to fill out missing areas of casting
you get 9th level spells
you are the trapper
you are the party face
Jack of All Trades & Expertise x2 makes you are the best skill monkey available
If you want versatility, lore bard 18 / warlock 2 with the right background and good decision making in spell selection & feats makes you the most versatile character imaginable, and it does so with 9th level spells.

emeraldstreak
2014-10-12, 07:04 PM
warlock 2 / abjurer 18 and RAW (not RAT) Evoker for power.

Rfkannen
2014-10-12, 07:07 PM
power = streangth

so obviously a barbarian is the strongest character

No but seriusly it depends on what you want to be good at, if you just want to be all around good at everything you want to be a lore bard, however otehr classes are good at other stuff

D-naras
2014-10-12, 07:16 PM

18 Valor Bard/2 Fighter, if you prefur using bows over magic as damage
18th level caster, can get 7 Skill Proficiency, of which 4 are expertise.
Take Swiftquiver. 4D10+20 a turn with +2 to hit, action surge and second wind. Has full utility spells as well. Also can take 6 spells from ANY caster list, including 9th level spells.

How do you deal with opponents that enter melee range and give disadvantage on your EB? I ask because I just started playing a Warlock and I was forced to use my blade as much as my EB. My 3 level combo as of now is to cast armor of agathys and enter melee while spamming bladeward. Once the temp hp run out, I have my fiendish pact boon to rely on and use my blade and hellish rebuke.

Endarire
2014-10-12, 10:38 PM
How does the Warlock2/Lore Bard18 (which I dub the 'Barlock' - which is pronounced 'Borelock') compare to, say, a Wizard20 or a Fighter2/Wizard18 or a Rogue2/Wizard18?

Which race and point buy allocations are best for a Barlock?