PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other My One Piece Haki feats, would appreciate some feedback ^^

ktccd
2014-10-15, 05:57 AM
I am working on some feats for my campaign, and one of my players wanted to use Haki from the series (Link) (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Haki), so I wrote these feats for the 3 types of Haki. This is however, one of my first attempts at making homebrew feats, so I'm unsure if I might be missing something, or if there's some other things to consider :S.

Last note before I post these feats, is that I chose Dreadful Wrath as a pre-requisite, because the Haoshoku Haki is supposed to be an innate ability that is sometimes expressed in a lesser form before someone learns how to master it, and Dreadful Wrath reflected that very well, in it's lvl 1 requirement and the fear aura it gave. For my campaign, that feat has no race restriction, but must still be taken at level 1.

Busoshoku Haki (Color of armaments)
Keywords: [Haki], [Fighter Bonus Feat]
Prerequisite:
Character level 8
Benefit:
As a swift action, you may activate your Busoshoku Haki in an offensive mode, adding half your level to the damage of your attacks as well as allowing your attacks to bypass the defensive powers of Devil Fruit users.
Any creature with the [Devil Fruit User] subtype can not use it's Paramecia Body, Zoan Body or Logia Body abilities to defend against your attacks. They may still use other skills, abilities and items to defend against it, such as counter manouvers, armor or other items that might help, as normal.

As an immediate action, you may activate your Busoshoku Haki in a defensive mode, adding half your level as an enhancement bonus to your natural armor. Though this is an immediate action, it has to be done before your opponent makes it's attack roll against you.

Special:
A fighter may select Busoshoku Haki as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Kenbunshoku Haki (Color of Observation)
Keywords: [Haki], [Fighter Bonus Feat], [Tactical]
Prerequisite:
Character level 8
Spot, Listen OR sense motive 12 ranks.
Benefit:
The Kenbunshoku Haki feat enables the use of 3 tactical manouvers. The range of this feat is (10 * Your character level) feet.

Predict Movement: To use this manouver, you must make a sense motive check against an opponent attacking you, the DC of this check is (10 + Hit dice of the opponent). You can use this manouver whenever an opponent within your range makes an attack against you. An opponent can try and mask their killing intent by replacing the DC for this manouver with their own Bluff check, though doing so gives them a -5 penalty on the check. If you succeed with your check, you may add your Hit dice to your Armor Class as an insight bonus. This effect does not work against attacks that are inherently random. Any of the following conditions disables the use of this manouver: Confused, Dazed, Fascinated, Nauseated, Stunned or Unconscious. Any of the following conditions require a concentration check in addition to the normal sense motive check, though the DC is a flat 20: Dazzled, Disabled, Exhausted, Fatigued, Sickened or Staggered. If you are blinded or deafened, you require the same concentration check only if this condition was inflicted on you in the current encounter or the last hour, whichever is longest, people who have these conditions for a while become adapted to using this feat even without their usual senses.

Sense Presence: To use this manouver, you must make a make a sense motive check against any creature within your range, the DC of this check is (10 + Hit dice of the target). You can use this manouver as a move action, but you may target as many creatures as possible within your range with the same move action. An opponent can try and hide their presence by replacing the DC of this manouver with their own Bluff check, though doing so gives them a -5 penalty on the check, though they have to decide to do so before you try and sense them (Hiding your presence takes no action, but requires you to be conscious). If you succeed with your check, you know the Hit dice, Creature type of the target, the direction and distance to the target. If you fail the check by less than 5, you only know the direction and distance to the target.
A creatures presence is unique to that creature, making it easily discernible to anyone who has succeeded on this check against them. Mundane disguises are ineffective against this manouver.

Empathic Link: To use this manouver, you must make a sense motive check against any creature within your range, the DC of this check is (10 + Hit dice of the target). You can use this manouver as a move action, but you may target as many creatures as possible within your range with the same move action. An opponent can try and hide their emotions by replacing the DC of this manouver with their own Bluff check, though doing so gives them a -5 penalty on the check. If you succeed with your check, you know the emotional state of that creature.

Special:
A fighter may select Kenbunshoku Haki as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Haoshoku Haki (Colour of the Supreme King)
Keywords: [Haki], [Fighter Bonus Feat], [Tactical]
Prerequisite:
Dreadful Wrath
Character level 8
Intimidate 12 ranks
Benefit:
The Haoshoku Haki feat enables the use of 1 tactical manouver. The range of this feat is (5 * Your character level) feet.

Overpowering Will: To use this manouver, you must make an intimidation check against all creatures within your range, this is opposed by your opponents modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear). You must take a full-round to do this, but it affects all creatures within range with the same, single intimidation check. If you succeed this check, your opponent has the following effect depending on it's hit dice:
* If their hit dice is at least 5 lower than yours, they become Unconscious.
* If their hit dice is lower than yours, but not at least 5 lower, they are Frightened for (3 + Your charisma modififer) rounds, minimum 1 round. After this, they are Shakened for 1 round.
* If their hit dice is equal to or higher than yours, but not more than 5 higher than you, they are Shakened for (3 + Your charisma modififer) rounds, minimum 1 round.
* If their hit dice is more than 5 higher than yours, they are Shakened for 1 round.

Special:
A fighter may select Haoshoku Haki as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Extraordinary Aim, Haoshoku Haki
Prerequisite:
Haoshoku Haki
Kenbunshoku Haki
Benefit:
You may choose to not affect specific creatures with your Haoshoku Haki. You must be able to recognise these creatures Presence with your Kenbunshoku Haki feat.

Special:
A fighter may select Extraordinary aim, Haoshoku Haki as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Extraordinary range, Haki
Prerequisite:
Any Haki feat
Benefit:
The range of any Haki feat you have that has a range expressed in feet is increased by 10 times.

Special:
You can gain this feat multiple times, it's effects stack. Each time you take the feat, the range increases by another times 10.
A fighter may select Extraordinary range, Haki as one of his fighter bonus feats.

ktccd
2014-10-15, 03:50 PM
Updated the keywords, as I didn't know there was a [Fighter Bonus Feat] and [Tactical] keyword that I should've used.

Hanuman
2014-10-17, 02:22 AM
I'd use simple recognizable terms (english and title describing the effect), clear formatting, no spoilers and I would approach this from existing mechanics.

Onepiece in 3.5 is VERY initiator focused, and it needs to be because marines are essentially fighters and they are the redshirt mooks of the series.

With few exceptions all characters use maneuvers, I would say nami uses a recharging 3 piece wand-staff to cast spells and there are some differences, but Haki just seems to be more like a high level stance to grant DR and bypass DR. Probably DR#/adamantine.

You could use feats to grant DR, but these in turn would have to be campaign specific, probably mythic options in pathfinder, and even then considering how strong high DR is it would have to be relative to your campaign, or stacking with itself and require considerable investment as it's more on the power balance of being a good class feature.

ktccd
2014-10-17, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the ideas, and although I have put thought into how the main characters would work mechanically, I'm not using any prominent characters from the show in the campaign (Partly because I fear it'd take 2 minutes before one of my players starts wondering if he could take them down and partly because I don't want to overshadow everyone with powerful DMPCs).

As for manouvers, I am using the Martial Adept system heavily in my campaign, even making the Devil Fruits into MA classes. Each of those classes have an ability called Paramecia/Logia/Zoan Body, which confers some defensive abilities (The way I word them though is NOT through DR/Hardness since there's a few low-level things that easily ignore that).

As for spoilers, I put that there to make it the thread easier on the eyes, separating the feats into a spoiler each. And I tried to use explaining names for the last two feats, but the main 3 have English translations to their names, which might be more obvious.

And I thought I was using clear formatting? I literally used the format that official feats use, down to even using proper keywords (Which some official feats can be argued doesn't)... So what do you mean by that? :S

As for existing mechanics... The only mechanic I found even remotely similar was the very basics, such as making them Tactical Feats... Any ideas for that?

Hanuman
2014-10-19, 01:41 AM
Ah ok so this is being used by you specifically for a campaign you are running and not necessarily intended to be used by others. That makes things a lot easier.

Spoilers: depends how big a project you want, i mean, i hear you about spoilers and i'm probably the last person to peach over stylization (heh, ozodrin), but as it stands the content doesn't need spoilers, dividers at most.

Clear formatting: check ozodrin for size, font, boldness, color, blah blah.

Prereqs: i'd evaluate whether you need prereqs on some of the feats, if they only effect certain things.

I'll just do one:

Extraordinary Aim, Conqueror's Haki - [Haki] [Fighter Bonus Feat]
Benefit:
When using your Conqueror's Haki ability you may choose not to effect specific creatures you can see with your Observation Haki abilities.

Special:
A fighter may select Extraordinary Aim, Conqueror's Hakii as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Or, like,

When using your Conqueror's Haki ability you may choose not to effect specific creatures you can see with your Observation Haki abilities. You may select this feat as if it were a bonus fighter feat.

Or... like...

Requires: Whatever

When using your Conqueror's Haki ability you may choose not to effect specific creatures you can see with your Observation Haki abilities.
You may select this feat as if it were a bonus fighter feat.[/COLOR]

Or something like that.

Having elemental bodies is kind of huge, it depends what level you are working at.

I would say that onepiece is definitely mythic if not epic. Take existing balancepoints, such as druid's wildshape and such as mark for elementals. If you were to get a body type made of poison for instance, liquid poison that could still make attacks and such in a viable way, how would you do it?
If you want to make it a gradually improving thing, what are the gradual steps?
I can't say too much because with the fruit system it seems like you are using a custom class system or something which I am not privy to, feel free to bounce back and forth and PEACH trade though.

Edit- I guess my formatting didn't work as well as I thought it would for the titles... 64 characters for a feat is a LOT of characters. I'm more used to working with about 1/3 that for the feats I make.

ktccd
2014-10-20, 04:09 PM
I can't say I care much about *that* kind of formatting, since I give my feats, classes and such as plain text to my players, I meant more like using proper keywords, the correct names for things and such. I have the short names for them, but the english are more there as a translation than as part of the name, as it gets very long otherwise ^^.

And this is only the haki part of the system, classes and such are already done ^^.
But safe to say, Logia are not allowed before level 10, and these feats are allowed at lvl 8-9, so Logia won't just curb-stomp everything.

Hanuman
2014-10-21, 05:33 PM
Sounds like you have everything figured out already. Good luck.