PDA

View Full Version : [Weapons] of the Savage Races

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-17, 09:17 PM
The so-called "civilized" or "good" races are known for their unique weapons and combat styles, from the waraxes of the dwarves, to the courtblades of the elves, to the quickrazors of the gnomes and skiprocks of the halflings. But the "savage" races have their own martial traditions, and their own specialized weapons. Below are but a few examples of these.

{table=head]Martial Weapons|
Cost|
Dmg (S)|
Dmg (M)|
Critical|
Range|
Weight1|Type

Light|

Spiker, goblin|
8gp|
1d4|
1d6|
x2|
-|
4 lb.|Piercing

One-handed|

Lancesword, hobgoblin|
15gp|
1d6|
1d8|
x3|
-|
3 lb.|Piercing

Two-Handed|

Warstaff, hobgoblin3|
10gp|
1d6/1d6|
2d4/2d4|
x2|
-|
8 lb.|Bludgeoning

Ranged|

Blade-thrower, orcish|
2gp|
1d4|
1d6|
19-20/x2|
50 ft.|
0 lb.|Slashing

Throwing blades (10)|
1gp|
-|
-|
-|
-|
5 lb.|-
[/table]

{table=head]Exotic Weapons|
Cost|
Dmg (S)|
Dmg (M)|
Critical|
Range|
Weight1|Type

Light|

Axe-dagger, orcish|
4gp|
1d3|
1d4|
18-20/x2|
10 ft.|
2 lb.|Slashing

Clawknives, gnoll (2)|
16gp|
1d3|
1d4|
19-20/x2|
-|
2 lb.|Slashing

Cestus, hobgoblin|
20gp|
1d4|
1d6|
x3|
-|
4 lb.|Bludgeoning

Scalecleaner, kobold|
2gp|
1|
1d2|
x2|
-|
1 lb.|Piercing

One-Handed|

Boomstick, goblin|
30gp|
1d6|
1d8|
x3|
-|
10 lb.|Bludgeoning

Serpent-tongue sword|
25gp|
1d6|
1d8|
19-20/x2|
-|
5 lb.|Slashing

Two-Handed|

Anklebreaker, goblin2|
20gp|
1d6|
2d4|
x3
|
-|
9 lb.|Piercing

Fangsword, gnoll|
45gp|
1d6|
2d4|
19-20/x2|
-|
8 lb.|Piercing and slashing

Hookstaff, gnoll2|
10gp|
1d6|
1d8|
x3
|
-|
10 lb.|Bludgeoning and piercing

Reaver, orcish|
50gp|
1d6|
2d4|
19-20/x3
|
-|
10 lb.|Slashing

[/table]
1Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A small weapon weighs half as much, and a large weapon weighs twice as much.
2Reach weapon.
3Double weapon.

Anklebreaker, goblin: This polearm features a fork-like head with two sharp tines that are flat on the inside edge with ridged "grips." The weapon can be used for thrusting attacks, but its name comes from a unique form of attack skilled wielders can utilize to debilitate their opponents.

As a standard attack action, you can attempt to catch an opponents foot between the tines and, with a sharp twist, temporarily lame the target. If you succeed on a melee touch attack and an opposed Strength check (on which you receive a +4 bonus). The creature’s speed is reduced by one-half because its foot is wounded. This movement penalty lasts for 24 hours, or until the creature is successfully treated with a DC 15 Heal check, or until it receives at least 1 point of magical curing. Creatures without identifiable limbs cannot be affected by this form of attack. The weapon deals no additional damage when used in this fashion.

You can make trip attacks with the anklebreaker. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the anklebreaker to avoid being tripped.

Axe-dagger, orcish: A broad-bladed weapon balanced for throwing, the axe-dagger falls somewhere between a handaxe and a dirk in how it is wielded. Orcs created and greatly favor this weapon, often carrying it in place of more typical daggers.

Blade-thrower, orcish: A development of the sling with a particularly orcish bent, the blade-thrower does exactly what its name implies - allow its wielder to hurl a small blade far further than it could thrown by hand. The hurler itself is of wood and heavy cord, and the blades are roughly oval, about palm-sized and sharp all the way around.

Your Strength modifier applies to damage rolls when you use a blade-thrower, just as it does for thrown weapons. You can fire, but not load, a blade-thrower with one hand. Loading a blade-thrower is a move action that requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity.

Boomstick, goblin: A uniquely goblin weapon, the boomstick is a specially designed mace with a hollow head and several metallic pieces inside. The weapon makes a great deal of noise when used in a fight, but a skilled user can strike a deafening blow with it.

As a standard action touch attack, a wielder with the correct Exotic Weapon Proficiency can attempt to deafen an opponent. If the target of this attack fails a DC 14 Fortitude save, the target is deafened for 1d6 rounds. A successful DC 15 Heal check, or any amount of magical healing, can remove this effect.

Cestus, hobgoblin: A curved metal buckler studded with iron, the hobgoblin cestus is wielded in one fist and strapped to the hand. Because of this, you cannot carry anything else in that hand or use it to cast spells or use skills.

A hobgoblin cestus provides you with a +1 shield bonus to AC. Unlike with a spiked shield, you retain this bonus to AC even on a round in which you make an attack with the cestus. If you lack the appropriate Exotic Weapon Proficiency, you do not retain the shield bonus to AC. A hobgoblin cestus has no armor check penalty, and an arcane spell failure chance of 5%. Like a spiked shield, a hobgoblin cestus can be enchanted as a weapon, a shield, or both, but all enhancements must be paid for and applied separately.

Clawknife, gnoll: These curved blades are always wielded in pairs, and are favored weapons of gnolls. The inside edge of the blades is serrated, and the weapons are usually held point down. If a proficient wielder with two clawknives strikes with both in a single round, he can automatically rend for an additional 1d4 + ½ Strength bonus damage.

Fangsword, gnoll: This slightly curved greatsword is serrated on the outside edge and barbed along the inside edge. Invented by the gnolls – who are among the few cruel enough to wield it – the fangsword can tear open truly terrible wounds. However, in order to do so the wielder must sink the blade into the opponents flesh, potentially leaving the wielder open to attacks.

When you successfully hit a target with a fangsword, you can immediately twist the weapon and hook it into the target’s flesh if the target fails a Reflex saving throw of DC (10 + the damage dealt). After the blade is hooked, you may release the fangsword, or chose to keep hold of the hilt. If you keep hold of the weapon, you automatically follow the hooked creature if it takes a five-foot step, and may make an opposed Strength check to keep the hooked creature from moving further. If you fail this check, the hooked creature may move as normal and you lose your grip on the fangsword. While gripping a hooked fangsword, you do not threaten any squares, and are considered flat-footed to any opponents other than the one hooked.

Once hooked, either the wielder of the fangsword, if you have maintained your grip, or the damaged creature can take a standard action to rip the blade free. This requires two free hands, and deals damage equal to the initial damage the fangsword dealt. A character who succeeds on a DC 15 Heal check can remove a fangsword without further damage.

Hookstaff, gnoll: A long pole weapon with a heavy barbed hook for its striking head, the hookstaff is often found in the hands of gnoll slavers. It makes it easier to drag off an opponent, or at least slows down an escaping potential capture.

If it deals damage, the hookstaff lodges in an opponent who fails a Reflex saving throw (DC 10 plus the damage dealt). A hooked creature moves at only half speed and cannot run or charge. If you control the hookstaff by succeeding on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the hooked creature can only move within the constraints of the staff’s reach. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 15 Concentration check or be unable to cast the spell. You also gain a +4 bonus on Bull Rush attempts against the hooked creature in order to move it as you desire.

The hooked creature can pull the hookstaff free from its wound if it has two hands free and takes a full round action to do so, but it deals damage to itself equal to the initial damage the hookstaff dealt. A character who succeeds on a DC 15 Heal check can remove a hookstaff without further damage.

Lancesword, hobgoblin: The lancesword has a long, narrow double edged blade that comes to a very sharp point. The hilt is bent somewhat like the stock of a crossbow, so that the wielder’s full strength is behind any thrust. If you use a ready action to set a lancesword against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character.

Reaver, orcish: The result of the orcish obsession with large weapons that deal terrible wounds, the reaver combines features of axes and swords to create a truly fearsome blade. The reaver is heavy and unwieldy, but in the hands of a skilled warrior can cut a swathe through the battlefield.

Scalecleaner, kobold: Adapted from metal tool used by kobolds to clean between their scales, or to remove old ones, this weapon features a very sharp, slightly curved metal spike. The weapons design allows it to worm past and through chinks in an opponent’s armor. However, such attacks require exceptional dexterity and cannot have the full force of a blow behind them. As such, a scalecleaner is most often used to deliver poison, and is a favorite of assassins.

As a full round attack action, a character with the Weapon Finesse and correct Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats can make a touch attack with a kobold scalecleaner that deals only the base weapon damage. This attack cannot successfully score a critical hit, or deal any sort of precision based damage (such as sneak attack damage).

Serpent-tongue sword: This weapon is similar to a longsword, though with a somewhat broader blade. Its most distinctive feature is that it does not come to a point at the tip. Instead, the blade curves outwards, creating a pair of hook-like extensions and a blunt, split tip. This gives it an appearance somewhat like the forked tongue of a snake. Lizardfolk and yuan-ti greatly favor this blade.

With a serpent-tongue sword, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).

You can also use this weapon to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the flail to avoid being tripped.

Characters proficient with the serpent-tongue sword may treat it as a longsword for the purpose of any feat that specifies an individual weapon (such as Weapon Focus).

Spiker, goblin: This odd weapon consists of a simple wooden haft with several – usually three or four – barbed spikes. Usually found in the hands of goblin skirmishers, the spiker is used to debilitate opponents at the beginning of a battle so that heavier weapons can bring them down more easily.

If it deals damage, the spiker lodges in an opponent who fails a Reflex saving throw (DC 10 plus the damage dealt). The spiker’s cunning design makes it difficult to move freely when spiked; a spiked creature cannot run or charge and suffers a -1 penalty on attack rolls until the spiker is removed.

The spiked creature can pull the spiker free from its wound if it has two hands free and takes a full round action to do so, but it deals damage to itself equal to the initial damage the spiker dealt. A character who succeeds on a DC 15 Heal check can remove a spiker without further damage.

Warstaff, hobgoblin: This weapon is essentially a quarterstaff with heavy, shovel-like heads on either end and banded in iron. The weapon is heavy and the extra weight on either end makes it somewhat difficult to control, but it strikes harder than a quarterstaff. The weapon is a favorite of certain mountain-dwelling hobgoblin tribes, who invented both it and the styles that utilize it.

A warstaff is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding a warstaff in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

Sketches
Set 1 (Orc, Gnoll, and Reptilian Weapons) (http://gorbashkazdar.com/savageweapons1.jpg)
Set 2 (Goblin and Hobgoblin Weapons) (http://gorbashkazdar.com/savageweapons2.jpg)
These are fairly rough, and are basically cleaned-up versions of the ones I made while brainstorming up these weapons.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-17, 09:47 PM
The general concept I had for this set of weapons was, obviously, to create some unique weapons for the races usually encountered by PCs as opponents, particularly at lower levels. This includes goblins, hobgoblins, gnolls, orcs, lizardfolk, and kobolds. My thought was that giving specific weapons to each could help make them more flavorful and interesting opponents - a hobgoblin troop fighting with cestii and lanceswords is unusual and suggests a combat doctrine particular to that race. For each race, I tried to focus on a particular overarching concept.

Goblins
The goblin weapons were the first to occur to me, particularly the anklebreaker. Goblins have always seemed to suggest more cunning and conniving foes to me - after all, they're as smart as humans but smaller. They need to rely on guile to succeed. I decided it made sense for the goblin weapons to be "status effect" ones - that is, rather than merely do hit point damage, goblin designed weapons inhibited opponents in some way. The anklebreaker came to me first - a polearm that could be used to inflict a debilitating injury like that of a caltrop, slowing down the target so it could not close on, or run from, the smaller goblins, who would then pick it off from range. The spiker and boomstick occurred to me next. The name of the boomstick came first, but the function followed naturally from the name. For the spiker, I wanted something like the harpoon, but wanted to forgo the control rope - after all, goblins are small and relatively weak. I wanted something a goblin would whack someone with and then just leave there as an annoyance. This also fit with the "cannon fodder" concept often seen with goblins as well - have a small group charge the PCs with spikers to slow them up, and then the bigger bad guys come in to mop up. The hookstaff was also a goblin weapon at first, but as I developed the gnolls, it seemed to fit with them better.

Hobgoblins
At first I was going to have the hobgoblin weapons be slightly less quirky than the goblin ones but follow a similar trajectory. However, in the end I wanted to include a few more "normal" weapons to fill in certain conceptual gaps from the standard list, or to aid certain standard combat styles. The lancesword was one that occurred to me early - a sort of one-handed martial spear. The warstaff adds in a martial double weapon, as a bridge between the quarterstaff and the exotic double weapons. The cestus was inspired by the manople from Sandstorm; I always picture hobgoblins wielding shields in battle and I wanted something that could be used offensively to match the hobgoblin's ferocious image. The axe-dagger and blade-thrower were also hobgoblin weapons at first, but the flavor seemed to fit the orcs better.

Orcs
For the orcs, I wanted somewhat crude, heavy weapons that leaned towards orcish advantages - namely, high Strength. The blade-thrower fit this naturally, being a sort of martial sling. The axe-dagger also fit in nicely. It was simply a nastier dagger, but I liked it conceptually. The reaver I developed to round out the list, and also because I liked the idea of a 19-20/x3 weapon. By keeping the damage so low, I do believe I've kept it balanced.

Gnolls
To me, the gnolls have always seemed to most cruel and bloodthirsty of the "savage" races. Orcs are big and mean, goblins cunning, and hobgoblins disciplined, but gnolls seem to be the ones who truly delight in killing and maiming for its own sake. So, I wanted to have their weapons reflect this, and also their primal nature. The clawknives struck me first, as a way to put a rend effect in play without higher-end feats. The fangsword followed in name, but it took me a while to hammer out an appropriate concept for it. The hookstaff, as mentioned above, started out as a goblin weapon, but I wanted to move it to a stronger race, and it's somewhat cruel function seemed to fit well with the gnolls.

Reptilian Races
I struggled with coming up with concepts for lizardfolk and kobolds, but I wasn't coming up with any ideas that I liked. In the end, I took two weapons that I had been toying with and adjusted their flavor. The serpent-tongue sword started as a drawing that I fit stats to (a mix of the longsword and the flail), and the scalecleaner as an assassination weapon that I wanted to find a way to balance. Despite the after-the-fact modification, I think the flavor fits both well, and in fact I think the scalecleaner benefited conceptually from it - now it has a backstory to support its usage, rather than just being a weird idea.

Rules
Rule wise, the one thing I would do is give orcs and half-orcs weapon familiarity with the axe-dagger, and possibly with the reaver. Half-orcs need a boost stat wise anyways, and the axe-dagger is generally too weak to justify an spending a feat on EWP.

I might extend the weapon familiarity for the serpent-tongue sword to lizardfolk and/or yuan-ti (or your other favorite reptilian race du jour) for flavor reasons as well.

For the other racial weapons, I think they're good enough to justify an EWP, particularly if you're handing them out to NPC mobs. I wouldn't toss out a Weapon Familiarity on any of them.

Of all the weapons, the fangsword seems the most likely to cause problems due to its somewhat complex ruleset, while the warstaff worries me the most balance wise. It well could kill the exotic double weapons.

Jack Mann
2007-03-17, 10:23 PM
Well, the exotic double weapons aren't worth a feat in any event. Remember, when you design an exotic weapon, it should give power commensurate with other feats. Double weapons just aren't worth the investment. This is the problem with the majority of exotic weapons.

The hookstaff is interesting, but I'd have to see it in action to judge it.

As an additional note, you have the axe-dagger listed as an axe-dirk in the table. Which is correct?

Jannex
2007-03-17, 10:30 PM
I like these, conceptually. Unfortunately I can't contribute much to the game-balance end of the discussion, but I think it makes a great deal of sense that the "savage" monster cultures would come up with their own types of weapons that favor their fighting styles, and that the "civilized" humanoids might not immediately recognize.

I was wondering, is the orcish blade-thrower at all akin in design to the atlatl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl)? Because that's kind of how I'm envisioning it.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-17, 10:31 PM
Well, the exotic double weapons aren't worth a feat in any event. Remember, when you design an exotic weapon, it should give power commensurate with other feats. Double weapons just aren't worth the investment. This is the problem with the majority of exotic weapons.

The hookstaff is interesting, but I'd have to see it in action to judge it.

As an additional note, you have the axe-dagger listed as an axe-dirk in the table. Which is correct?
Axe-dagger; I've corrected it now.

I was wondering, is the orcish blade-thrower at all akin in design to the atlatl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl)? Because that's kind of how I'm envisioning it.
Roughly, though the ammunition is smaller. It also would likely be a bit "springier" than an atlatl. Honestly, though, that particular weapon mostly was a stat development, so I didn't spend much time thinking on exactly how it would work in real life.

Renrik
2007-03-17, 11:03 PM
brilliant!

I love the new weapons. Love them to death. Now I have to go play a savage character so I get to use one of the weapons. Do the clawknives count as a monk weapon?

Fizban
2007-03-17, 11:29 PM
For what few homebrew posts you've made, you seem to be very good at it, I like them.

My only question is: the scalecleaner special attack is unable to score a critical hit, but can it deliver a sneak attack?

EvilElitest
2007-03-18, 11:24 AM
Do you have any pics?
from,
EE

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-18, 12:39 PM
Agree with the request for pics, even rough sketches. That would be awesome.

I really love these; they add a whole new level of barbarism to the savage races, making them more frightening (at least in theory, if not to players) and exotic.

However, that said, it basically just decreases loot value for PCs. When you kill the Orkish cheiftan and he has a +2 Falchion, that's awesome. When he has a +2 Reaver, it's useless to you. You can't use it without a feat and it'd be hard to sell because no one else can use it.

mabriss lethe
2007-03-18, 04:37 PM
concept.

Goblins
The goblin weapons were the first to occur to me, particularly the anklebreaker. Goblins have always seemed to suggest more cunning and conniving foes to me - after all, they're as smart as humans but smaller. They need to rely on guile to succeed. I decided it made sense for the goblin weapons to be "status effect" ones - that is, rather than merely do hit point damage, goblin designed weapons inhibited opponents in some way. The anklebreaker came to me first - a polearm that could be used to inflict a debilitating injury like that of a caltrop, slowing down the target so it could not close on, or run from, the smaller goblins, who would then pick it off from range. The spiker and boomstick occurred to me next. The name of the boomstick came first, but the function followed naturally from the name. For the spiker, I wanted something like the harpoon, but wanted to forgo the control rope - after all, goblins are small and relatively weak. I wanted something a goblin would whack someone with and then just leave there as an annoyance. This also fit with the "cannon fodder" concept often seen with goblins as well - have a small group charge the PCs with spikers to slow them up, and then the bigger bad guys come in to mop up. The hookstaff was also a goblin weapon at first, but as I developed the gnolls, it seemed to fit with them better.

I've used goblins like this in many games. It makes them dangerous. In one setting, Goblins were masters of primitive biological warfare. I don't have the actual numeric stats on any of this on hand, but I'll see if I can dig it up, or leave it to someone else to recreate the effects of these lil' beasties.

All of these applied toxins are good for one successful hit on a target or until they've dried up.

Fever Sap: A staple of goblin skirmishers. Fever sap is a thick resinous sludge made from a mixture of sweet tree sap and animal dung. Fever Sap is applied to a weapon that does piercing damage, usually projectiles. Once applied, it stays usable for a week before completely drying out and flaking away. Animals or humanoids struck by a weapon encrusted with fever sap must make a Fort save and succeed against a DC of 20 or contract a burning fever from the infection festering deep within them 24 hours after exposure. Each day the target is entitled to another save roll. A cure wounds spell will just seal the infection deep within the body. It requires a Remove Disease or similar spell to stem the fever with magic. Otherwise it requires a healing check of 15 to make certain wound is properly cleaned. Fever sap is rather stable, so accidental poisoning is rare. A character in posession of bloodweep venom (see below) can apply a dab of it to the wound to bleed the clot of dung and sap out before septic infection sets in. One jar is enough contains enough for 10 applications

Bloodweep venom: Another potentially leathal substance developed by the goblin tribes. Bloodweep is rarely used in war, but often used by hunters. No outsider knows exactly how the thin reddish liquid is created. Most goblins don't even know. It is a secret known only to the hunting societies. Like Fever Sap, Bloodweep is applied to piercing weapons. On a successful hit, the weapon is treated as having the wounding special quality. On a a successful critical hit, the wound will bleed 1 hp per round for 1d4 rounds. An application of Blackfinger (see below) to the wound will stop the bleeding. One application of blood weep stays fresh for 1 hour before drying to the point of uselessness. The effect wears off after a single successful hit or after it dries up. Whichever comes first. A single jar contains enough for 10 applications.

Blackfinger poison: One of the more horrifying creations of goblin herbalism, Blackfinger poison is brewed from ergot contaminated grain into a foul smelling black paste. It can be applied to any weapon dealing piercing or slashing damage, though again, goblins prefer to use it on projectiles and traps. Anyone taking damage from a successful hit from the poisoned weapon must roll a fort save vs a DC of 20. Failure indicates that the poison has set in. nothing happens immediately, but an hour after exposure, the poisoned creature begins to hallucinate. these hallucinations last for 1d4 hours, then pass. 24 hours after exposure, the target creature feels a slight tingle in his extremeties and a sort of akwardness in his limbs (-2 dex). However, the character is immune to the wounding effect caused by blood weep and some magical weapons. this is caused by decreased blood flow as the toxin constricts blood vessels. If left untreated for a week, gangrene will set in, beginning with the fingers and toes. any effect that removes poisoning can be used to stem the poisoning, though other magic must be used to treat the gangrene. Daily doses of bloodweep can be used to thin the blood and keep gangrene at bay until proper treatment is administered. Blackfinger dries up and is useless 2 days after it is applied to a weapon. One jar contains enough for 5 applications.

there's still some things that need to be fleshed out. Like I said earlier, feel free to take a crack at things or if prompted, I'll hunt down the original writeup and pass on the info. yeah, what can I say, I'm lazy

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-18, 07:44 PM
Do the clawknives count as a monk weapon?
Not as written, no.

My only question is: the scalecleaner special attack is unable to score a critical hit, but can it deliver a sneak attack?
No. I'll clarify that in the main post

Do you have any pics?
from,
EE

Agree with the request for pics, even rough sketches. That would be awesome.
Added links to the main post, and below:
Set 1 (Orc, Gnoll, and Reptilian Weapons) (http://gorbashkazdar.com/savageweapons1.jpg)
Set 2 (Goblin and Hobgoblin Weapons) (http://gorbashkazdar.com/savageweapons2.jpg)

However, that said, it basically just decreases loot value for PCs. When you kill the Orkish cheiftan and he has a +2 Falchion, that's awesome. When he has a +2 Reaver, it's useless to you. You can't use it without a feat and it'd be hard to sell because no one else can use it.
Potentially, but it's easy enough to work around. Flavor wise, most orcs aren't terribly smart or powerful, so magical reavers would likely be quite rare, so even if chief would prefer to use one, he may be stuck with the falchion if he wants a magic weapon. No worse than any other use of exotic weapons. That's one reason I suggested going light on giving out Weapon Familiarities for most of these - even among the races that came up with them, they should be somewhat rare, just as the racial weapons I mentioned at the beginning are rare even among the "good" races.

Matthew
2007-03-30, 06:22 PM
Nice pictures, Gorbash.