PDA

View Full Version : Farming for a Weapon Idea [Exalted]

Gungnir
2007-03-18, 10:19 PM
I need some ideas for making a weapon made to be used only by way of telekinesis. I'm looking for fluff right now, I can add the crispy rice later.

Long story: Me and my friends are starting an Exalted game soon. My character's main combat tactic is a terrestrial spell that allows him to endow inanimate objects with physical attributes and a combat skill, namely Melee. (House-ruled in from 1st Ed, and was extremely broken until emergency Craft: Rules rolls were made.)

Short story is, he could essential make a amorphous bubble of fighting chains, granting himself and anyone within 20 feet a parry Defense Value of something like 34, and otherwise granted him immunity to physical damage. And thats only if he's working at half capacity. A one die stunt allowed him to convert the chains into Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion, doing around 60 dice of damage, again at half capacity. The DM attacked us with a warstrider (mech) in practice session, and my starting character tore it to shreds.

What I need now is a flavor hook. In previous incarnations my character has been a noted inventor and mage, and my DM has allowed me to give him a weapon he created himself in a past life, specifically made to be used by this sorcery.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to think of anything besides fighting chains or typhoon wheels (Yuffie-sized artifact chakram). I actually like the idea of the typhoon wheels, but, another person in the group would kill me for falsely impersonating Axel from Kingdom Hearts. Any ideas?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-18, 10:24 PM
It seems inane, but what about very small daggers or needles?

Gungnir
2007-03-18, 10:32 PM
Sadly, smaller things aren't practical, mostly because with the new spell, he can only reliably control 2 things at a time.

Caduceus
2007-03-19, 12:17 AM
A giant spiked ball of doom! Cousin to the giant spiked cube of death! Brother to the giant spiked d4 of boo-boos!

Demented
2007-03-19, 12:56 AM
Well, one of the better approaches would be to have a complementary pair of items, such as a pot and a pan (my creativity is on vacation at the moment, sorry). That would make the item(s) much more special than just an identical pair of weapons.

Alternately, something weird or eccentric, such as a pair of poisoned feathers, or Caduceus' Oversized Spiked Balls of Doom!™ Yo-Yos even.

The Great Skenardo
2007-03-19, 10:12 AM
Well, if there aren't any weight restrictions, I'd suggest an anvil and a stevedore's hook and chain. They're mundane objects you can find lying around, cover a wide degree of combat, and horribly deadly in that common-place sort of way.

As for the why, that depends a lot on your character. An inventor might have any number of reasons to have an anvil about the place (although if you don't have a ready means of transportation, it could be awkward.), and the stevedore's hook might have come from a sudden insight you had while watching some longshoremen at work and witnessing a terrible accident.

Zeta Kai
2007-03-19, 10:19 AM
How about something like those Sentinel Spheres (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinel_Sphere) from the Phantasm movies? They're basically telekinetic blades balls-o-doom, & I don't anyone actually touched them (being slashed to death doesn't count as touching, as such).

Lapak
2007-03-19, 11:24 AM
A weapon meant only to be controlled by telekinesis? Hmm. If we're going for practical, a bag full of poisoned caltrops.

If we're going for style, I'm thinking something like a two-bladed sword with no grip in the middle, maybe curved at either end. Like two scimitars placed handle-to-handle, only there's no handle: just one continuous edge. Set it a-twirling and shove at your enemies, or use it as like a sharp quarterstaff from a safe distance.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-19, 11:52 AM
Farming for a weapon? Kama, Nunchaku, Scythes, Sickles, Three-section staffs, run them over with a Combine Harvester.

Gungnir
2007-03-19, 06:42 PM
If we're going for style, I'm thinking something like a two-bladed sword with no grip in the middle, maybe curved at either end. Like two scimitars placed handle-to-handle, only there's no handle: just one continuous edge. Set it a-twirling and shove at your enemies, or use it as like a sharp quarterstaff from a safe distance.

I think we have a winner. While a telekinetically controlled combine harvester would be nice, it's a bit over the weight limit.

Part of the reason for the win is that My guy also has a way to shrink items. Shrink the Tele-Sword, put it into a pitcher, and you have Exalted's first Blentek Blender!

Orcs: They blend!

Oh, but by all means, all new ideas are still cool.