PDA

View Full Version : I'm a wizard and I meet an NPC wizard... how do I go about getting to his spellbook?

saintstardust
2014-10-22, 04:11 PM
Looking for some ideas. I'm thinking about going diviner wizard but, talking with my DM, I'm not confident if I'll see very many scrolls coming my way as loot. I'm hoping to capitalize on any and all wizards I meet (I don't mind being evil, btw) but I'm guessing most wizards won't be handing their entire spellbooks over. My DM also has ruled that applying the Keen Mind feat's accurate memory ability to the memorization and copying of spells has a 20% chance of failure.

What are some good tricks and tips to get access to spellbooks and scrolls?

SaintRidley
2014-10-22, 04:27 PM
Offer money and/or access to some of your spells in exchange for some of theirs.

MaxWilson
2014-10-22, 04:35 PM
Negotiation? Offer to swap, and pay for both parties' gold costs. It's an offer no one could refuse.

saintstardust
2014-10-22, 04:40 PM
Negotiation? Offer to swap, and pay for both parties' gold costs. It's an offer no one could refuse.

So if we were to trade like-for-like it would basically be about 100 gp per spell level?

MunkeeGamer
2014-10-22, 04:42 PM
You'll obviously have to work with your DM on this idea--but as a DM, this is what I would suggest. Put together a University or Academy and be a member of this institution. It will give the DM plot hooks as you can simply be handed down missions from the superiors of the academy. You recover artifacts, books, etc for them and pay some dues. In exchange, you get access to their libraries which are scattered throughout the game world. Each library has unique tomes which allow to you periodically update your own book.

This gives you the freedom to let your DM know what spells you want and gives the DM the freedom to say, "Well, this library doesn't have that spell right now" if the spell would hurt his story too much or "Alright, here's an in game explanation for how you get access to these spells you wanted." Even possibly turning the quest for a single spell scroll into a whole plot hook.

If your campaign world is low-magic, then all the more reason an institution like this would exist. Even obscure spells would be highly valued and it would make sense that it would attract large groups of people who sought to consolidate and control magic. In a low magic setting, the institution might be more underground and secretive; more like the illuminati.

Just an idea. :smallsmile:

Shining Wrath
2014-10-22, 04:52 PM
Hire an Arcane Trickster to steal his spellbook.

Offer to trade spells; give him a fake copy of your spell book in exchange for his real one, then decamp swiftly.

More honestly, trading spells or purchasing them with gold or magic items.

Geoff
2014-10-22, 05:04 PM
It's really up to your DM in the sense that he decides how mages interact in the given world. They could be friendly colleagues like they're all Hogwarts Griffindor alumni, and maintain spellbook lending libraries in every major city. Or they could train in secretive, power-mad hermetic master-apprentice relationships like Sith.

By default, though, you're not going to be buying scrolls or spells like you might have in 3e or 4e. I would not count on learning any spells that you don't acquire just by leveling.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-22, 10:30 PM
What are some good tricks and tips to get access to spellbooks and scrolls?

"Hey, I'm looking to expand my book. You're looking to expand your wallet. Let's make a deal."

"Want some quick gold? You don't even need to endanger your spellbook, just copy some spells and hand the pages off to me. I'll even compensate you for the trouble of making the copy."

"Hey, you've got some spells I want. I've got some spells you want. Let's see if we can't help each other out here."

"I understand your hesitation in dealing with a fellow magician. My friend here also doesn't like mages much; a few of them killed his parents, and he's held a grudge ever since. He has Mage Slayer, Polearm Mastery, Sentinel, a +1 Halberd, and a very nasty temper. Thankfully, I can normally persuade my friend to spare any magicians we encounter, with the justification that they may prove helpful to us. But should you choose to hinder our quest, however, I cannot make any guarantees for your safety or my friend's behavior. And naturally, if you find yourself in violent confrontation with my friend, I shall feel obligated to intervene on his behalf. So here's what is going to happen: You are going to write a copy of the spells I have requested, you will then provide me with those spells, I shall ensure their authenticity and safety, I will complete the transaction by providing you a bill of sale along with more-than-adequate compensation, and my friend and I will continue down this road, never to see you again."

Glarnog
2014-10-22, 10:33 PM
Sadly the lack of spellbooks of NPCs seems to be some sort of balcing factor of the game. At least when looking at the LMoP and HotDQ. Scrools seem to be the only, if not best way to get access to spells, seperate from the 2 when you level up.

saintstardust
2014-10-23, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking the 5th level spell modify memory has some potential in this case, especially in the short term.

Mr.Moron
2014-10-24, 08:38 PM
If I was running a game, getting to know a person would work wonders. Spend a while being friendly. Stop to chat at the market, share some of your spells, maybe help them on a project or two. Grab some drinks together and debate magic-type stuff.

Who wouldn't want to sit down and compare notes with a friendly colleague? You both stand to learn stuff, and it's interesting to boot.

If you're looking to get right away like in the span of 1 session, 1 minute or 2 at the table and maybe a handful of rolls... I dunno. Have the party beat him to death?

MaxWilson
2014-10-24, 09:05 PM
"I understand your hesitation in dealing with a fellow magician. *snip*"

Slipperychicken, I just want you to know that this was brilliant.

silveralen
2014-10-24, 09:49 PM
If you don't mind playing murder hobo playstyle there is the option of just stabbing/flaming them to death.

Or enlist the help of the party thief. Or grab sleight of hand prof via some method.