2007-03-19, 09:58 AM
Web Fungus
Large Plant
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 0 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +8 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11
Attack: Spit acid +5 ranged touch (2d6 acid)
Full Attack: Spit acid +5 ranged touch (2d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Spit acid
Special Qualities: Blindsense 60 ft., damage reduction 5/slashing, plant traits, rootweb
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex –, Con 14, Int –, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: –
Feats: Weapon Focus (Ranged Touch)B
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 7-9 HD (Large), 10 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: –

The Web Fungus is a strange, carnivorous fungus, a bane of underground explorers. The main body of the Web Fungus looks like a simple pile of organic, fungal matter. More distinctive, however is its namesake, its weblike root system, which it uses to entrap its prey. It attacks creatures caught in the web by spitting digestive fluid at them, and then absorbs their pre-digested corpses through its roots. Web Fungi are cultivatable, although a great investment of time and effort is required, and some subterranean dwellers will use them as guardians or watchdogs.

Spit Acid (Ex)
As a standard action, a Web Fungus can spit digestive fluid at an enemy. It must make a ranged touch attack to hit. The digestive fluid deals 2d6 points of acid damage. In addition, a creature hit must make a DC 15 Reflex save or have the acid cling to it. If it fails, then it takes an additional 1d6 points of acid damage each round for an additional 1d3 rounds. The save is Constitution-based.

Rootweb (Ex)
The tendril-like root system of a Web Fungus emerges from the ground and forms a sticky “web” around it. This web encompasses all ground within 20 ft. of the fungus. Moving through the web is difficult. The web counts as difficult terrain, and hampers movement appropriately. In addition, each round, all creatures other than the fungus that are in the web must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be entangled. The saves are Constitution-based. An entangled creature may, as a full-round action, attempt a DC15 Strength or Escape Artist check to free themselves. The web, being made of plant matter, is highly flammable. A magic flaming sword can slash it away as easily as a hand brushes away cobwebs. Any fire can set the web alight and burn away 5 square feet in 1 round. All creatures within a flaming web, including the fungus itself, take 2d4 points of fire damage from the flames. A destroyed or damaged portion of a Web Fungus’s rootweb regrows in 1d10 minutes.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-19, 10:01 AM
Constitution-based Reflex saves seem odd to me. Beyond that, I think I'll populate graveyards with some of this.

The Demented One
2007-03-19, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but I didn't know what else to base it off of.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-19, 10:51 AM
Yeah, that is a tough call.