PDA

View Full Version : The Clash

psychoduck14
2007-03-19, 07:55 PM
Amazing band! along with The Ramones they are the best bands EVER!:thog:

FdL
2007-03-19, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I never really got into them but they are a seminal band. I can't get over "The Guns of Brixton", though. It's my favorite song of theirs. That song is a whole different level of cool.

Jack_Banzai
2007-03-19, 08:49 PM
I have always loved "The Magnificent Seven" on an almost cellular level. I have no idea why.

psychoduck14
2007-03-19, 09:09 PM
koka-kola,spanish bombs, and the guns of brixton are my fav 3 but i realy like jimmy jazz too

Sundog
2007-03-20, 10:54 AM
"London Calling" is what always goes through my head when someone mentions them.

bosssmiley
2007-03-20, 03:04 PM
*pffffft* Rock the Casbah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkfHShATKY) pwns all the above.
You know a band is great when they can make a catchy, anthemic bawl-along rock song about Middle Eastern politics that still sounds good 25 years later.

Also: I Fought the Law (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZWzPVK1fxU), Should I Stay or Should I Go? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ag8J2NMYmc) + White Riot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YYJ19W5o-A).
Anglo-Punk = Superior! :smallcool:

storybookknight
2007-03-20, 03:19 PM
I like the Clash - I have a friend who is very into the british punk music, and is a card carrying member of SHARP - SkinHeads Against Racial Prejudice.

Also fun listening to some of the bands inspired by them, like New Model Army.

Joosbawx
2007-03-20, 03:23 PM
Don't forget Rudie Can't Fail.

Chunklets
2007-03-20, 04:07 PM
With a few exceptions (e.g. "London Calling"), my favourite Clash songs are off their two first albums. I love "Safe European Home," "Complete Control," songs like that. That said, I also like a fair bit of what Strummer did after The Clash, including his amazing rendition of "Redemption Song."

psychoduck14
2007-03-20, 09:16 PM
the album london calling was #8 on rolling stones (i think) top 500

FdL
2007-03-21, 01:34 PM
I like "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" a lot too.

EllysW
2007-03-22, 06:48 AM
Hm, never much cared for "Rock the Casbah," myself, although the mideast-policy aspect of it is pretty cool. Now that I'm old and responsible, I sometimes hear something by the Clash -- "Should I Stay " or "Train in Vain," I guess -- at the grocery store as I do my shopping. They never play "Lost in the Supermarket," though. That would be awesome.

psychoduck14
2007-03-22, 03:34 PM
lol good times

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-23, 09:49 AM
Don't forget Rudie Can't Fail.

Is this the reason ska fans are sometimes referred to as Rude Boys or Rudis?

psychoduck14
2007-03-23, 10:00 AM
i really dont know....actually i never heard them called that but it may be...anyway i would call rudie cant fail reggea...i think, its a while since i heard it though so correct me if im wrong

Catch
2007-03-23, 10:11 AM

No, no. The Rude Boy culture is from Jamaica, and it's from the rocksteady scene. In the '60's, rude was Jamaican slang for "cool," or more accurately, "hip." Rudies generally were attired in the latest fashions, and Jamaicans were in love with American gangster movies, so that manifested itself into the sharp suits, thin ties and the quintessential pork-pie hats (a fedora works too.)

Ska, especially two-tone, draws its roots heavily from reggae and rocksteady, so when the music migrated to the US, so did the rudeboy subculture. Since then, "rudie" has become the handle for ska fans, just like punks are punk fans. In the same way, black and white checkers is part of the basic ska fashion--it's the Jamaican symbol for racial unity.

"The More You Know"

Source: My own (vast) knowledge and, of course, the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rude_boys).

Jorkens
2007-03-23, 10:20 AM
It goes back to the Jamaican subculture from the 60's. Young men, sharply dressed, listening to the very latest rocksteady, often involved with crime and steeet violence. In this context rude = bad = some combination of hip and dangerous.

It kind of spread from there to the UK with reggae culture. That's why it turns up in everything from ska punk to UK garage.

edit - like Catch said.

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-23, 11:35 AM
Okay, now where does that leave the Mods?

Amotis
2007-03-23, 11:39 AM
The mods came way before that. The Who, The Kinks, The Yardbirds. 1950's about.

bosssmiley
2007-03-23, 11:52 AM
The mods came way before that. The Who, The Kinks, The Yardbirds. 1950's about.

late 50s-early 60s (it was our attempt to do a cafe culture/bosso nova thing on £0 3/6d). The moptop look the Beatles had in their early years was classic Mod chic.

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-23, 12:24 PM
I always thought the mods were big during the 70's since the first exposure I really had to the culture was from the movie Quadraphenia. I also was under the impression the fashion went through an number of different modes as it developed.

Always considered classic mod fashion was a stylish suit with a fishtail parka adorned with a RAF symbol, oh and don't forget the vespa scooter. I always liked the fashion, and I'm think of fleshing out my current wardrobe to have some Modish type clothes.

I was also wondering if there were some cross-overs with Rude boy/Mod fashion?

Catch
2007-03-23, 03:34 PM
I always thought the mods were big during the 70's since the first exposure I really had to the culture was from the movie Quadraphenia. I also was under the impression the fashion went through an number of different modes as it developed.

Always considered classic mod fashion was a stylish suit with a fishtail parka adorned with a RAF symbol, oh and don't forget the vespa scooter. I always liked the fashion, and I'm think of fleshing out my current wardrobe to have some Modish type clothes.

I was also wondering if there were some cross-overs with Rude boy/Mod fashion?

Kinda. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28lifestyle%29) But as a general rule, don't mix your subcultures. Water and oil, y'know?

bosssmiley
2007-03-25, 01:53 PM
Kinda. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28lifestyle%29) But as a general rule, don't mix your subcultures. Water and oil, y'know?

I'd say more kerosene and hydrogen peroxide (can you say 'hypogolic'?). :smallwink:

Ethdred
2007-03-26, 05:24 AM
CHEESEBOIGER!

One

Ethdred
2007-03-26, 05:27 AM
CHEESEBOIGER!

One of my favourite bands - came from having a brother who was well into them. London Calling is obviously the best album, though I am still a big fan of Combat Rock. Amazing how imaginative and inventive they were, given the punk milieu they cam from. Incredible variety of musical styles, never really stayed still but always sounded good. Of course, their politics may have been a bit pre-fab, but they did have some good messages. And great music, of course...

Smokin' menfol...

Stagger Lee
2007-03-29, 03:27 PM
I own all the albums plus some live bootlegs. As my avatar may indicate, they're my favorite band. Stummer's solo work is good as well.

NEWS FLASH!-- FROM THE CLASH!

Incidentally, this is the first topic about The Clash that I've ever seen at a forum that wasn't created by me.

psychoduck14
2007-03-31, 06:27 AM
lol yep it took me a little but i finally relized that your name was from one of the songs um...wrong em boyo i think.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-31, 06:43 AM
Catch, Two-Tone is actually the second wave of Ska- Reggae was actually a derivative of the first wave.

Reptilus
2007-03-31, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I never really got into them but they are a seminal band. I can't get over "The Guns of Brixton", though. It's my favorite song of theirs. That song is a whole different level of cool.
That is because Paul Simonon is what happens when someone takes awesome and makes a person out of it.

The Clash are probably my favourite band of all time, to the point I am unable to pick a favourite song. Know Your Rights is under-represented here, despite being one of their best. One More Time, as well. Neither were the hits of some of the songs mentioned (many of the songs on Sandanista went unrecognized for their brilliance because of the record's sheer volume),

i really dont know....actually i never heard them called that but it may be...anyway i would call rudie cant fail reggea...i think, its a while since i heard it though so correct me if im wrong
Well, Ska and Reggae are difficult to technically tell apart, but Ska is based more in Jazz and R&B, while Reggae is based in a combination of Ska, Rocksteady, and African roots. Because of the extensive horn use and up-beat, downstroke rhythm, I'd have to say Rudie Can't Fail is more of a ska song, but especially with English bands, it's often a close call, between the two.

Shadow of the sun is correct, Reggae came from Ska and Rocksteady, not the other way around. Two-Tone is English, revivalist ska, and named for the two-tone suits worn by the revivalists. Two-Tone, as a movement, drew many of its roots from the Clash's combination of punk and ska, although most Two-Tone bands took primarily ska musical influence and punk attitude, while punk music didn't make much of an impact until the Third Wave of ska, with bands such as Operation Ivy speeding up ska to punk tempos and sometimes replacing upper-partials with power-chords. Each "wave" of ska has seen a gradual synthesis between it and other, more modern genres of music with similar ideas, essentially.