PDA

View Full Version : What A Pest! [Creatures]

The Demented One
2007-03-20, 08:48 AM
Stone Beetle
Diminutive Magical Beast (Augmented Vermin)
Hit Dice: ½d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 size, +3 Dex), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-17
Attack: –
Full Attack: –
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: –
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., stone carapace, tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 16, Con 10, Int –, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: –
Feats: –
Environment: Any Temperate
Organization: Solitary, pair, or cluster (4-10)
Challenge Rating: ½
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 1-2 HD (Diminutive)
Level Adjustment: –

Stone Beetles are perhaps the worst kind of pest there is. No one knows exactly where they cae from–some suggest they were transformed by magical contamination, while others suspect they were bred by a medusa. While a Stone Beetle cannot cause any harm, it is the bane of people everywhere because it is almost impossible to kill. Though it looks no different than a normal cockroach, if a Stone Beetle is about to die, it will turn itself to stone until all danger is gone, making it far, far harder to kill. Once there is nothing within the range of its tremorsense, it will revert, and scurry back to whatever it was doing.

Stone Carapace (Su)
As a swift action, a Stone Beetle may turn itself into stone, like the statue spell. It may remain in this form indefinitely.

Haedrian
2007-03-20, 09:13 AM
I like this... a lot

*picks up a stone beetle and tosses it against someone's head*

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-03-20, 03:19 PM
Cool creature, kind of reminds me of Egyptian Scarabs. What happens if Stone Shape, Stone to flesh, and all those other stone affecting spells are cast?

The Demented One
2007-03-20, 04:24 PM
Hmm...that all depends on how those spells interact with the statue spell, and I don't know much about that. I would guess they would work they same as on a creature turned to stone by flesh to stone or similar means.

Demented
2007-03-20, 04:33 PM
Of course, that's mainly an academic question, since few are going to waste such a spell to kill a single lowly cockroach.

On the other hand, it's a very large cockroach....

The Demented One
2007-03-20, 05:13 PM
On the other hand, it's a very large cockroach....
That's all a matter of perspective. You ever been to Florida?

Lemur
2007-03-20, 06:07 PM
Unless cockroaches in Florida are the size of cats, I'd say Demented makes a good assertion.

In any case, these things would be really dangerous in swarm form. They might not do any damage, but swarms still nauseate people inside of them, and swarms have their own defenses to make them harder to kill.

The Demented One
2007-03-20, 06:46 PM
Unless cockroaches in Florida are the size of cats, I'd say Demented makes a good assertion.
I may be exaggerating a bit as to the Floridian bugs...I suppose making it diminutive wouldn't hurt.

Danu
2007-03-20, 07:55 PM
This is hilarious. I can just imagine a bunch of first level dwarven warriors running around with hammers just trying to smash the things, but unable to bypass the hardness.

Triaxx
2007-03-20, 08:19 PM
Counter spell, mass Shatter? As shatter, but with an area effect?

Demented
2007-03-21, 07:17 PM
Heh.

- Re-check the flatfooted AC.
- These things will starve to death with that wisdom.
- Needs a swarm!

TheDon
2007-03-21, 08:22 PM
- These things will starve to death with that wisdom.

I think a cockroach can live up to 2 weeks with it's head cut off, so chances are, the players will get bored before it does :P

Triaxx
2007-03-22, 02:34 PM
These would make very handy bucklers. Enlarge it a couple times, and turn it stone, and viola, instant shield.

mikeejimbo
2007-03-22, 04:45 PM
Doesn't it technically need a positive Int, too?

mockingbyrd7
2007-03-22, 06:41 PM
These would make very handy bucklers. Enlarge it a couple times, and turn it stone, and viola, instant shield.

LOL! Only problem is that it won't stay enlarged forever. And if it chooses to pop out of stone form, it's now a much "bigger" problem. (Pun intended).

Triaxx
2007-03-22, 07:00 PM
Fortunately, even if does pop out of stone form, it still won't stay enlarged forever. Besides, I can toss it at my opponent.

The Demented One
2007-03-22, 07:34 PM
Doesn't it technically need a positive Int, too?
Nah, lots of vermin have no Intelligence score.

mikeejimbo
2007-03-22, 07:56 PM
Nah, lots of vermin have no Intelligence score.

Ah, I thought things with no Int just sort of curled up into a ball and drooled. Doesn't make MUCH difference, though.