PDA

View Full Version : Core Class & Variant?

Nad
2007-03-20, 08:57 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking to expand the prowess of my archer but let me give a little background:

The campaign started off with 4 soldiers returning from war. To start the campaign, we all agreed to take 1st level as a fighter. Not a problem for me since I wanted to go the route of an archer. We're all human, so my starting feats ended up as: Point Blank, Percise, Rapid

We just hit level two after cleaning out an abandoned church. I was looking for any way to become more of an archer when I stumbled upon Dragon #310, page 38. They've listed a variant build of a fighter called the Targetteer.

Can my second level class be Targetteer even though I'm already a regular fighter at first? So basically, are you allowed to take a variant level when you've already taken the core class previously?

Thanks for reading and any feedback.

Assassinfox
2007-03-20, 09:00 AM
No, you can't multiclass two versions of the same class. Otherwise, people would use crazy combinations like Abjurer/Diviner.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between a targetter and a normal fighter at level 1. You could just retcon it so that you were already a targetter. Check with your DM, of course.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-20, 09:06 AM
This sounds like a question for your DM, not the board in general.

Retroactively having been a targetter would be the way to do it, but only if your DM allows it. (Hint: have the full description of the variant class printed/copied/available for your DM to read when you ask him.)

Nad
2007-03-20, 10:06 AM
See that's the problem. Would have loved to start out as a Targetteer but we were all soldiers. Our unit used spears and my character has a long spear as his alternate weapon.

Targetteers can't use martial weapons.

The question for the board was can you multi-class variants and I got my answer, thanks all!

Borogove
2007-03-20, 10:39 PM
longspear is a simple weapon, though.

Matthew
2007-03-27, 07:07 PM
It used to be a Martial Weapon in 3.0, but was sensibly downgraded for 3.5.

DaMullet
2007-03-27, 07:31 PM
Wait, no martial weapons? I assume they either use Crossbows or have provisions in the description for using real ones, because Long- and shortbows are martial.

Amiria
2007-03-27, 07:45 PM
Targeteers don't have proficiency with martial melee waepons. They have proficiency with martial ranged weapons.