PDA

View Full Version : A Better Rabbit.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-01, 04:31 AM
The sources I've found for rabbits are entirely terrible. So I made my own.

Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1HP)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 70ft (12 squares), Burrow 5ft
Armor Class: 14, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: 0/-12
Attack: Slam +2 (1d6-4) or Bite -4 (1d3-4)
Full Attack**: Slam +2 (1d6-4), Bite -4 (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2ft/0ft
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, All Around Vision
Saves: Fortitude +2, Reflex +4, Will +1
Abilities: STR 2, DEX 15, CON 10, INT 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +6, Climb +0, Escape Artist +4, Hide +18, Jump +8, Move Silently +14, Swim +0
Feats: Run,
Environment: Any
Organization: Single, Pair, Burrow (10), Warren (20-100)
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 1-2 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: N/A

A rabbit may be selected as a familiar. It grants its master a +3 bonus on Hide checks.

Skills: Rabbits have a +4 Racial bonus on Balance, Climb and Swim checks and a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Jump and Move Silently Checks. A rabbit has an additional +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in their natural environment.

**A rabbit cannot both slam and bite the same target, due to obvious anatomical reasons.

Now, you might ask "Well, why did you set X to Y?" So, I decided to explain a few things.

Speed: Rabbits are impressively fast. They can run between 25 and 45 miles per hour. Giving them the Run feat, means the base value for their speed is 5 and 9 miles and hour, which is 44 to 79 feet per round. The average rabbit tends to be on the high end of that. Without the Run feat, they'd run at a base speed of 75 to 100 feet! Rabbits can burrow, but not very fast, and 5ft is the slowest speed I am aware of being given out.

Attacks: Rabbits usually defend themselves by slamming their back legs into an enemy. Their back legs are very, very powerful. Maybe even more powerful than I made them. Their bite is much weaker, and they aren't very good at it. They actually pounce and bite other rabbits, or when they are cornered. Or when being held and being brats.

Skills: I copied them from the dndwiki. It seemed accurate enough.

What did you all think?

Inevitability
2014-11-01, 05:13 AM
Nice. Allow me to add this:

Conjure Rabbit

Level: Bard 0, Druid 0, Sorcerer 0, Wizard 0
Conjuration (Summoning)
Components: V, S, AF
Casting Time: 1 Full Round action
Range: Touch
Effect: One conjured rabbit/4 levels
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: None

You reach into the hat, and pull out a small white rabbit a moment later. The animal looks around confusedly for a moment, then struggles to escape from your grab.

You pull a completely ordinary rabbit out of a top hat. The rabbit can then be placed anywhere within your reach as part of casting the spell. It acts on it's own initiative, and you have no special power over it. The rabbit may flee, hop around, or attack if cornered.

For each four levels you possess, you may summon an additional rabbit. (2 at 4th level, 3 at 8th level, 4 at 12th level, 5 at 16th level, and 6 at 20th level)

This spell was originally developed by bards who used it in street performances, but has since then found other uses: Druids often charm the rabbits created by the spell to serve as scouts or messengers, and some of the smaller races like to use use this spell to create a fast mount.

Focus: A top hat large enough to contain a rabbit.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-01, 05:27 AM
I can't say I don't think that's amazing.

brian 333
2014-11-01, 06:12 AM
Rabbit Decoy

Level: Bard 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1
Illusion (Figment)
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Full Round action
Range: Touch
Effect: One illusory rabbit
Duration: 1 turn/level
Saving Throw: Will negates

A rabbit decoy is created to lure trackers using scent or sight away from the caster. Any animal (INT 2 or less) predator must make a will save versus DC 25 to avoid chasing after the decoy, but each point of intelligence over 2 of the tracker reduces this DC by one, so that an INT 5 Blink Dog would have a DC 22 Wil save, and an INT 9 Orc would have a DC 18 Wil save. Making the saving throw negates the lure effect, but does not eliminate the illusory rabbit which remains for the full duration of the spell unless slain. If slain or the duration of the spell expires the rabbit vanishes.

For the duration of the spell the illusory rabbit will attempt to lead the hunter away from the caster in a direction of the caster's choice. If the hunter gets too close it will run faster, and if it finds it has lost the hunter it will circle back and attempt to engage the hunter in pursuit again. A single hit point of damage from any source is enough to destroy the spell, but the illusory rabbit will not fall off cliffs, into ditches, impale itself on briars or spikes, or set off traps it passes through. Observing the rabbit perform an otherwise impossible act allows the hunter another save, this time at a DC of 17 - INT.

Material Component: a preserved rabbit's foot.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-01, 06:20 AM
One thing, 17 - INT bonus, is what you meant, right?

Otherwise, that's a useful spell! But round / level isn't very much, is it? Maybe 5 Rounds / level or maybe even a minute / level.

Xefas
2014-11-01, 01:25 PM
I approve of the fact that this rabbit's kick is of equivalent danger to being run through by two feet of sharpened steel, impaled by a javelin, or mauled by a wolf two size categories larger than itself.

I feel like humans should probably be on the run from these brutes. One kick landed on an average peasant's shin has a 50/50 chance of knocking them right out, and a decent chance of leaving them bleeding to death on the ground. Just imagine getting kicked twice by a rabbit. Or, more likely with their reproductive rate, what if there were two rabbits? One kick each and you're done. Combine that with a +18 to +22 hide bonus depending on environment, whereas an average human's spot modifier is +0, and they've basically got Predator-esque cloaking technology.

There should be some kind of orcish bloodsport where slaves are forced into a grassy pen with a couple rabbits, and if they can survive for longer than thirty seconds, they get their freedom.

Inevitability
2014-11-01, 03:30 PM
I approve of the fact that this rabbit's kick is of equivalent danger to being run through by two feet of sharpened steel, impaled by a javelin, or mauled by a wolf two size categories larger than itself.

I feel like humans should probably be on the run from these brutes. One kick landed on an average peasant's shin has a 50/50 chance of knocking them right out, and a decent chance of leaving them bleeding to death on the ground. Just imagine getting kicked twice by a rabbit. Or, more likely with their reproductive rate, what if there were two rabbits? One kick each and you're done. Combine that with a +18 to +22 hide bonus depending on environment, whereas an average human's spot modifier is +0, and they've basically got Predator-esque cloaking technology.

There should be some kind of orcish bloodsport where slaves are forced into a grassy pen with a couple rabbits, and if they can survive for longer than thirty seconds, they get their freedom.

Hey, this is a world where housecats are amongst the prime predators of the human race. Don't you tell us common animals shouldn't pose a danger to us! :smalltongue:

rlc
2014-11-01, 05:06 PM
maybe this rabbit's from a certain welsh turreted castle.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-01, 08:06 PM
The good news is, rabbits flee rather than fight. However, rabbits are more than capable of killing an animal their size with one solid thump.

Milo v3
2014-11-02, 09:38 PM
This rabbit is under CR'd at the very least.

Realms of Chaos
2014-11-02, 10:13 PM
I think that the damage on the rabbit's attack might be seriously overstated here.

You note that rabbits are able to kill creatures of their own size with one kick... while completely ignoring the fact that rabbits (and most creatures of their size) have 1 hit point. The current stats for rabbits suggest that a random wild rabbit has a fair chance of killing a hunting dog or a hunter. If you didn't do the +10 Strength thing, the kicks would deal 1d6-4 damage, meaning that there's about a 15% chance of a rabbit hitting another perfectly healthy rabbit and causing it to bleed out and die (otherwise 'merely' leaving it disabled and at the verge of death). This increases to a 100% chance if the enemy rabbit has taken any injuries or has a slightly lower Con score than normal. While you could certainly argue that this doesn't address spinal injuries that could immediately "ragdoll" enemies, your current rabbit can't deal the required 11 points of damage needed to do so. Besides, that type of injury isn't modeled well in D&D at all unless you want to stretch critical hits (and a 1d6-4 hit with a x 2 critical hit automatically leaves similarly-sized targets bleeding out, as mentioned early).

darklink_shadow
2014-11-02, 10:57 PM
Fair enough, I removed the boost to STR for kicking.

brian 333
2014-11-03, 01:26 AM
One thing, 17 - INT bonus, is what you meant, right?

Otherwise, that's a useful spell! But round / level isn't very much, is it? Maybe 5 Rounds / level or maybe even a minute / level.

I meant 17 - INT, and not INT Bonus. It's a level 1 illusion spell, and as such its utility is severely handicapped when facing intelligent creatures. If a creature with 17 or better INT made such a bad roll to be tricked by the illusion originally, (25-15= DC 10) then observing the animal run over an untriggered trap, running off a cliff Bugs Bunny style, or otherwise doing something which would be impossible for a normal rabbit, he is entitled to realize it is just an illusion.

The duration is not a Round/level it is a Minute/level. My old school is showing: back in AD&D days a Turn was ten rounds.

darklink_shadow
2014-11-03, 01:37 AM
That also makes sense. Everyone is making sense!