PDA

View Full Version : Will Parson EVER change clothes?? [Speculation spoiler]

Tim
2007-03-21, 10:33 AM
So who thinks Parson will just remain dressed in that grease-stained hamster T-Shirt for the rest of the series? I personally find that an appalling thought - but he's only been in Erfworld a day (and now learning to use a... chamber pot...), so there's still hope. What do y'all think?

Wooter
2007-03-21, 10:37 AM
He'd have to get clothes specially made, what with him being a giant and all.

chrono
2007-03-21, 11:00 AM
He will, once Wanda breaks out her kickass leather gear, or once he gets armor.

Gitman00
2007-03-21, 11:13 AM
This thread's topic should maybe have SPOILER in it.
I predict that the Tool will decide that Parson's clothes are unfit for a warlord, and order him to change them. And yeah, he'll probably need some custom-made armor eventually. He should keep Hamstard on there for his coat of arms, though.

donkyhotay
2007-03-21, 11:55 AM
Tool will eventually force him into something more "warlordish".

slayerx
2007-03-21, 12:42 PM
I agree, considering how much Stanley in the past took pride in having good looking warlords, i would think that he would want Parson to have some awsome looking armor... Parson ain't that good looking, but he is really big, some goodlooking armor will make him look pretty damn intimidating. I'm thinking, something black, perhaps with a whitecape with his hamstard symbol on it... he's got to maintain his "lord hamster" image. Though the cape might be red... black and red is what all of Stanley's pas warlords wore... though hopefully he'll leave off the 'target' symbol this time...

This thread's topic should maybe have SPOILER in it.
If i recall, i don't think that's nessacary in Erfworld forums.
Unlike OoTS, Erfworld is allready completly planned out and thus we can't have any real influence on the comic, unlike OoTS which has a good idea of where it's going but isn't totally sure, and thus the gian may end up being influenced by what we speculate... this is if i recall hearing correctly, it was a while back

Teacher
2007-03-21, 01:18 PM
OMG!! Parson will be made to dress like a bloated Las Vegas Elvis!

pclips
2007-03-21, 01:23 PM
If i recall, i don't think that's nessacary in Erfworld forums.
Unlike OoTS, Erfworld is allready completly planned out and thus we can't have any real influence on the comic, unlike OoTS which has a good idea of where it's going but isn't totally sure, and thus the gian may end up being influenced by what we speculate... this is if i recall hearing correctly, it was a while back

You recall correctly. We have Erfworld fairly extensively plotted out. We know how it ends, to a pretty good degree of detail.

As far as I am concerned, you guys can speculate all you want. But I would suggest continuing to use those tags as a courtesy to the other readers, when you think you might really be on to something that someone who's completely "along for the ride" wouldn't want to read.

For myself, I am kind of amazed and gratified at how many threads pop up which anticipate where the comic is headed in the next few pages. For instance, I was chuckling like crazy at the "Evil vs Good" threads, when I knew that the pages that were coming up would be dealing extensively with those questions.

So yes, keep speculating. But know that Im In Ur Tagz, Readin Ur Spoilerz. If you guys all start buzzing about something I haven't anticipated, I'll take it as a canary in the coal mine for the comic possibly being off track.

So far, so good, though. Collectively, you guys are pretty sharp.

Tim
2007-03-21, 07:26 PM
Haha, I guess Pclips posting here means that his clothes would be a future issue. Oh well - I've decided to add in the spoiler tags. But for those who voted no - why not?

I thought it may have been possible - given how many comics make the characters (especially the dimension/time travellers) insist on wearing their traditional clothing. Why am I reminded of Zero no Tsukaima when I say that? ^^

agentx42
2007-03-21, 08:02 PM
So yes, keep speculating. But know that Im In Ur Tagz, Readin Ur Spoilerz. If you guys all start buzzing about something I haven't anticipated, I'll take it as a canary in the coal mine for the comic possibly being off track.

So far, so good, though. Collectively, you guys are pretty sharp.

SO...does this mean The Big Hamster will be getting a new set of clothes? Because I'm thinking, if the Elvis avatar is good enough for you, then it's good enough for the rest of us.

Parson in sequins... yeaaaah, now that's the uniform of a commander.

slayerx
2007-03-21, 08:04 PM
heh, now that i think of it, i recall making a few fanart sketches of what i thought Parson's outfit might look like that last time this topic was around.
One design had the upper body covered, but his gut was still stickingout... i don't think armor was ever meant to fit parson's... err.. Physique

though Elvis outfit? it's so obvious i'm not sure why i didn't think of it... definatly would be hilarious to see Parson react that THAT one

Glome
2007-03-21, 08:17 PM
Wouldn't dressing up your warlord as a Titan be considered sort of sacrilegious, even for a warlord? If anyone was to dress up as a Titan, it would have to be Stanley since it would enforce his divine right to rule, and even he doesn't dare dress as a Titan. Nah, however funny Parson dressed as an Elvis, he would have to be given something more militaristic.

It's possible that Parson might have to borrow some clothes from a twoll if they even wear any real clothes that is. They should be able to resize clothing by tomorrow, armor would be more difficult to resize though and would probably take more time (assuming no magic is used).

Rocheforte
2007-03-22, 10:41 AM
Wouldn't dressing up your warlord as a Titan be considered sort of sacrilegious, even for a warlord?
Blasphemous, I think. But I agree that it would be out of character for Stanley to countenance a mortal impersonating a Titan.

One Skunk Todd
2007-03-22, 12:39 PM
Collectively, you guys are pretty sharp.

Heh, and individually we're...? :smalltongue:

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-03-23, 07:26 AM
This thread is silly. Everyone knows that clothing NEVER changes in a comic or cartoon. Unless he gets an art upgrade, Parson will always look the same.

Azrael
2007-03-23, 10:37 AM
Heh, and individually we're...? :smalltongue:

Quite dumb.

:smalltongue:

What? We weren't playing madlibs? Oh. Well, if you're really that upset, just imagine that the response starts with the word "all".

Glome
2007-03-23, 02:38 PM
This thread is silly. Everyone knows that clothing NEVER changes in a comic or cartoon. Unless he gets an art upgrade, Parson will always look the same.

Not true. If there is a change in role or status, then you will usually see an accompying change in outfit. In the Order of the Stick for example, Elan changes from chain mail to regular clothes when he gains a prestige class. In this comic, Wanda changes to her interrogation outfit before torturing Jillian. In Peanuts, Snoopy dons his fighter pilot headgear before shooting down enemy planes. It's easy to see the change in role from Parson the GM to Parson the Warlord, so everyone expects a change in garb to accompany such a transition.

As a side-note, alot of good comic strip artists also change clothing according to season as well, but that doesn't seem to apply in this case.

Gez
2007-03-24, 10:37 AM
Blasphemous, I think. But I agree that it would be out of character for Stanley to countenance a mortal impersonating a Titan.

Stanley has no particular love for Parson, and only tolerate him because Parson is supposed to make him win the war. He'd never get him to dress as a Titan; Stanley has a sincere belief in and respect for the Titans.

Besides, it seems the standard warlord uniform for Stanley's commanders has a big target sign on it.

Khantalas
2007-03-24, 10:39 AM
I think Bogroll is forging something for Parson. Could it be an armor?

Pepz
2007-03-24, 01:26 PM
I'm with Khantalas on this one, Bogroll is either forging an armour, or a weapon....but my bet's on the armour :)

slayerx
2007-03-24, 02:28 PM
I'm with Khantalas on this one, Bogroll is either forging an armour, or a weapon....but my bet's on the armour :)

I'm thinking amror myself...
Parson definatly does not look like the type to wield any kind of weapon... He may be big, but it's fat, no muscle, so a weapon wouldn't do him much good. Amror however can not only protect him in battle, but also make him look more like a warlord. How this armor will look though... is questionable... afterall, this is bogroll we're talkign about

Dragor
2007-03-24, 02:33 PM
He doesn't need a weapon, when he could probably announce he's doing a Bull Rush and charge straight into the enemy. Probably armour; this will either make him look extremely cool or absolutely hilarious.

Ettlesby
2007-03-24, 05:35 PM
He doesn't need a weapon, when he could probably announce he's doing a Bull Rush and charge straight into the enemy. Probably armour; this will either make him look extremely cool or absolutely hilarious.

Well, Sizemore DID say that he should probably be afraid...

Scientivore
2007-03-24, 08:22 PM
Parson definatly does not look like the type to wield any kind of weapon... He may be big, but it's fat, no muscle, so a weapon wouldn't do him much good.

I'm the prototypical skinny geek myself but I from what I've read, people with Parson's build typically already have quite a bit of hidden muscle built up just from lugging their fat around.

I learned that a couple months after I quit smoking. While I was researching how to lose the fat that I had gained from quitting (which I also eventually succeeded at), I came across the recommendation that really big people start out with weightlifting and other strength training workouts (instead of jogging and other aerobics) because it's immediately rewarding for them.

chrono
2007-03-25, 09:11 AM
I'm thinking amror myself...
Parson definatly does not look like the type to wield any kind of weapon... He may be big, but it's fat, no muscle, so a weapon wouldn't do him much good. Amror however can not only protect him in battle, but also make him look more like a warlord. How this armor will look though... is questionable... afterall, this is bogroll we're talkign about

Parson is a lot bigger than your general medium-sized Erf dweller. Twoll-sized or so. That reminds me of Terry Pratchett, more notably the troll Detritus who uses a modified siege crossbow to a devastating effect.
For those who aren't familiar, the troll puts a whole lot of arrows instead of the siege bolt; when the crossbow fires the immense force shatters the arrows and as the shards are propelled forward they catch fire, in effect producing a fireball with area of effect splinter goodness.

belboz
2007-03-25, 12:12 PM
I doubt Parson has ever changed that T-shirt before. Why would he suddenly start now?

:smalltongue:

slayerx
2007-03-25, 01:47 PM
I'm the prototypical skinny geek myself but I from what I've read, people with Parson's build typically already have quite a bit of hidden muscle built up just from lugging their fat around.

Parson is a lot bigger than your general medium-sized Erf dweller. Twoll-sized or so.
There's a difference between being fat and in good shape nad being fat and in bad shape. Twolls for instance may appear to be large but they are in quite good shape. There is ALOT of muscle in all that fat, much more then just the bare minimum. They are fighters and thus get a regular amount of exercise. Not to mention you can't really compare to different races since one may have much more muscle by nature.

In comparison, Parson is a large guy who is out of shape. He has spent his life on his ass, so the only muscle he has is the amount to keep his large self moving around. He's gonna have more muscle than a small person who never exercises, but not enough to be a real fighter. His lack of exercise also gives him lower stamina, whatever muscle he does have, could not be used for very long in a real fight. I mean, going DOWN(where gravity helps you; unlike when you go up) a long set of stairs really tired him, where as the much smaller Stanely can take the same trip no problem. So, ya, overall, Parson isn't gonna be much of a fighter...

fat people CAN be very strong, but only if they actually put time into it, such as weight training. If they put no effort into it, they're just gonna have the bare minmum, which won't suffice for fighting...

ziggurat
2007-03-25, 01:57 PM
heh, now that i think of it, i recall making a few fanart sketches of what i thought Parson's outfit might look like that last time this topic was around.
One design had the upper body covered, but his gut was still stickingout... i don't think armor was ever meant to fit parson's... err.. Physique

though Elvis outfit? it's so obvious i'm not sure why i didn't think of it... definatly would be hilarious to see Parson react that THAT one

Have you ever seen a portrait of Henry VIII of England?

chrono
2007-03-25, 02:45 PM
There's a difference between being fat and in good shape nad being fat and in bad shape. Twolls for instance may appear to be large but they are in quite good shape. There is ALOT of muscle in all that fat, much more then just the bare minimum. They are fighters and thus get a regular amount of exercise. Not to mention you can't really compare to different races since one may have much more muscle by nature.

In comparison, Parson is a large guy who is out of shape. He has spent his life on his ass, so the only muscle he has is the amount to keep his large self moving around. He's gonna have more muscle than a small person who never exercises, but not enough to be a real fighter. His lack of exercise also gives him lower stamina, whatever muscle he does have, could not be used for very long in a real fight. I mean, going DOWN(where gravity helps you; unlike when you go up) a long set of stairs really tired him, where as the much smaller Stanely can take the same trip no problem. So, ya, overall, Parson isn't gonna be much of a fighter...

fat people CAN be very strong, but only if they actually put time into it, such as weight training. If they put no effort into it, they're just gonna have the bare minmum, which won't suffice for fighting...
The whole point was, he could still use a siege crossbow. First, they're meant to be operated by the smaller Erf dwellers (i.e. loading is easy enough), second, crossbow is aim&shoot technology so no skill required. No waving around either, if he's able to lift it, he's able to use it.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-26, 05:05 AM

For some reason, the words "bogroll" and "weapon" make me think of a plunger.

Exactly why a toiletless world would have plungers is beyond me, though...

Indon
2007-03-26, 06:06 AM

My guess is, Parson will think it looks excellent, and everyone else will think it looks stupid.

Exactly why a toiletless world would have plungers is beyond me, though...

It's probably an Arkentool.

Strengfellow
2007-03-26, 06:18 AM
Plunger weapons make me think of Darleks

DMcCoy1693
2007-03-27, 08:44 AM
It's probably an Arkentool.

The Arkenplunger?!? That doesn't sound quite right. I figure the arkentools are all what you can find as a child's toys. So a screwdriver, a wrench, a ruler, a saw, sure. But a plunger? I don't think so.

Also, a crap golem making a weapon or armor doesn't sound right to me.

Khantalas
2007-03-27, 10:12 AM
Bogroll isn't a crap golem. He's a twoll.

Imgran
2007-03-27, 12:20 PM
The whole point was, he could still use a siege crossbow. First, they're meant to be operated by the smaller Erf dwellers (i.e. loading is easy enough), second, crossbow is aim&shoot technology so no skill required. No waving around either, if he's able to lift it, he's able to use it.

No skill required?

For a crossbow?

Umm... no. There's a lot more skill required for a bow than for modern point ant shoot weapons like guns.

Besides, any crossbow worth the name would require a lot of muscle to pull the cord back -- so much that trained crossbowman needed winches to prepare them..

Job
2007-03-27, 12:28 PM
Yes Parson will change outfits, however it will likely be a fairly bland change, but I could always be surprised. He may also lose a little weight.

chrono
2007-03-27, 12:49 PM
No skill required?

For a crossbow?

Umm... no. There's a lot more skill required for a bow than for modern point ant shoot weapons like guns.

Nobody's talking about bows. That's a lot different than a crossbow. And a crossbow is a lot easier to use than a gun - I've used both and trust me, having no kick to your weapon really makes it aim-and-shoot.

Besides, any crossbow worth the name would require a lot of muscle to pull the cord back -- so much that trained crossbowman needed winches to prepare them..
Who do you think winds up the siege crossbows when there are few creatures bigger than Parson around that have hands? All siege crossbows would be meant to be operated by the inhabitants (therefore a creature smaller than Parson can load it, winch or no), therefore Parson will be able to load it.

Regardless, Parson doesn't have the raving badass image required to run around with a siege crossbow.

DMcCoy1693
2007-03-27, 02:06 PM
Bogroll isn't a crap golem. He's a twoll.

I meant twoll. Still true, I still don't see bogroll making weapons or armor. A bad painting because the other guards told him that it was a good idea and win favor with Lord Hampster or a meal made from the most disgusting food ever or something similar. He's "promoted" to lackey. His primary job function is things like disposing of Hampster's crap. He's increadibly low skilled. He makes 1/2 orc fighters with an Int 6 look skilled. Weapons? Armor? He probably doesn't even know the meaning of those words.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-03-27, 04:28 PM

That's what I'm thinking. 36 has one frame of what looks like a silhouetted arm with fire as a backdrop.

Pyrian
2007-03-27, 08:59 PM
And a crossbow is a lot easier to use than a gun - I've used both and trust me, having no kick to your weapon really makes it aim-and-shoot.

Wait, what kind of crossbow did you use that has no kick? A nerf crossbow? A crossbow (and indeed even a bow) has recoil, and for exactly the same reasons as a gun ("for every action..."). The one's I've used weren't anywhere near arbalest size and still kicked pretty good...

Bobbis
2007-03-27, 09:04 PM
Totally never gonna change out of his clothes. And definitley not into armor with hampstard and pizza stains like his shirt.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-27, 09:09 PM
never....not in 100 years

Imgran
2007-03-27, 09:54 PM
Superb call guys.

chrono
2007-03-28, 04:31 AM
Ah well... there go hopes of Parson getting some truly kickass gear. Not that this one is bad, but now he's still a fat guy in a breast plate.

Pepz
2007-03-28, 05:00 AM
hehe Parson will never be anything more that " a fat guy in (whatever)" :) that's just who he is ;) not that I don't like him despite that tho ;)

Indon
2007-03-28, 06:11 AM
Wait, what kind of crossbow did you use that has no kick? A nerf crossbow? A crossbow (and indeed even a bow) has recoil, and for exactly the same reasons as a gun ("for every action..."). The one's I've used weren't anywhere near arbalest size and still kicked pretty good...

Never used a crossbow here, but it seems to me it'll have less of a kick than most firearms simply because it employs less force in its' firing. Combine that with a large enough weapon to absorb some of the force, and you get a recoil that seems negligable, particularly to someone accustomed to firearms with signifciant recoil.

And DMcCoy1693; yeah, you're probably right, but I suspect we may see some wacky arkentools before all is said and done.

Gitman00
2007-03-28, 08:11 AM
And yeah, he'll probably need some custom-made armor eventually. He should keep Hamstard on there for his coat of arms, though.

Did I call it? Oh, yeah.

Rocheforte
2007-03-28, 08:30 AM
Never used a crossbow here, but it seems to me it'll have less of a kick than most firearms simply because it employs less force in its' firing. Combine that with a large enough weapon to absorb some of the force, and you get a recoil that seems negligable, particularly to someone accustomed to firearms with signifciant recoil.

The thing is, a good portion of the bow itself moves forward upon firing, and the bolt's mass relative to that of the bow is higher than a bullet's mass relative to that of a gun. So when a crossbow is fired a lot of the total mass moves forward, causing more recoil than you'd expect. And if by "siege crossbow" you mean "ballista", those can have a lot of jump when they're fired.

SteveMB
2007-03-28, 08:56 AM
The total momentum of a crossbow bolt (that must be balanced by the recoil) may be greater than that of a bullet (depending on whether the mass difference between a crossbow bolt and a bullet offsets the velocity difference), but it is spread over more time. The latter factor diffuses the intensity of the recoil.

chrono
2007-03-28, 09:23 AM
So people are still on the crossbow topic, eh?
Well keep in mind that the gun (handgun or gun-gun) recoils toward you, which often causes bruises, injury (plenty of sprained wrists or dislocated shoulders from not keeping it tight) and most often a miss on the following shots if you use burst fire.

As noted, the crossbow recoils away from you, so in the worst case you will drop it on your foot.

And if by "siege crossbow" you mean "ballista", those can have a lot of jump when they're fired.
I mean a type of crossbow which is usually mounted on the city walls - it's often bigger and heavier to increase its range, which makes it unwieldy and hence it's often mounted in some way. I don't mean something you use to destroy walls with. Even if they're oversized for Stanley-sized creatures, the crossbow and projectile will be a small fraction of Parson's total weight (now with added benefit of a breastplate), thus I still think he will be able to handle the recoil.

SteveMB
2007-03-28, 10:00 AM
As noted, the crossbow recoils away from you, so in the worst case you will drop it on your foot.
WTF? A crossbow shoots something forward -- it has to kick backward, unless the law of conservation of momentum doesn't apply in Erfworld.

chrono
2007-03-28, 10:11 AM
Look up "reverse recoil" of crossbows. It really does make sense once you think about it.

Logos7
2007-03-28, 11:13 AM
In which case Crossbows don't have recoil, they have coil?

Learn something new everyday!

Logos

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-29, 02:51 AM
Look up "reverse recoil" of crossbows. It really does make sense once you think about it.

I don't see any references to the information you're throwing out, please link a specifice reputable site.

Also, Parson isn't that much bigger than most of Stanley's units. Hobgobwins and twolls are only a head shorter than Parson, and the uncroaked are about 2/3 Parson's size. It's not likely that siege weapons will be based the stature of the ruler, who happens to be smaller than a large portion of his main fighting force.

chrono
2007-03-29, 04:54 AM
I'm not sure I can find a work of great scientific significance that discusses the recoil of crossbows. The best I can come up with is a shop that sells crossbows
http://www.thecrossbowshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=50
(which admittedly has like 2 lines on it) plus a bunch of examples of scopes being marketed as built to withstand reverse recoil and many of those mention "like what crossbows have", but some don't. I'm not sure why you keep arguing - much like bows, as a crossbow fires most parts move forward - the only force pushing back is the bolt and that's way too light to make a difference, let alone recoil the whole structure back (as opposed to guns where the explosion of the shell pushes the barrel back).

Anyways, if Stanley is medium then Parson is definitely large, which means all the standard weapons look one size category smaller to him than the people they were made for.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-03-29, 11:59 AM
The heavy crossbow I shot had roughly the same recoil as the deer-hunting rifle I shot (30-0-6, known in redneck terms as a Thirtyought-six).

I like Parson's philisophical view... "I can't think of anything that would better represent me than Hamstard... and two pizza stains".

So the answer, he changes clothing, but the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Pyrian
2007-03-29, 09:45 PM
A crossbow recoils both back and forwards. The net is normal recoil (as you'd expect from conservation of momentum), but the "reverse recoil" occurs in a shorter period of time and so you feel it as more jarring. The reverse recoil is actually caused by the stopping of the shot - i.e., you feel normal recoil as the bolt is accelerated, and then reverse recoil as the bow-part and string come to a sudden halt.

Nonetheless, the original claim that x-bows don't have recoil (or don't have significant recoil) is untrue.