PDA

View Full Version : D20 firearms rules suck: part 2

alchemy.freak
2007-03-21, 11:37 AM
Since its been some time since i put up the first part, i decided to start a new thread.

my new set of house rules is about equipment.

Haven't you noticed D20 moderns rules on sighting equipment don't make any sense, according to them you either have a scope or you don't. the fact is that a few common types of sight exist, and they don't talk about it, they just assume that they are all the same. so i created some house rules to show the difference between the various types of sight.

iron sights: this basic type of sight is found on virtually all weapons and confers no special penalties or bonuses

Red dot sight(may also be called a reflex sight): a relatively new type of sight that aids in rapid target acquisition, usually seen as standard equipment on high end tactical weapons. it consists of a piece of plexiglass and a laser pointer all built into one relatively small unit, the dot is projected onto the glass and that is the point of aim. it provides a +1 equipment bonus to initiative checks, provided the weapon is in your hands and ready to fire, and that it is used to make the first attack(i.e. you cant get the +1 if you drop this weapon and use your sidearm instead). this type of sight can be built into a weapon, but it is more common to attach it to accessory rails on the top of the weapon, if it has them. also this type of sight requires batteries, and will not work without them

Low magnification sight(usually a scope with less than 4x magnification): Usually seen on newer assault rifles, it can allow the user a great improvement in range, just not as much as a much higher magnification telescopic sight, it is also usually much smaller. much like a scope it multiplies the range increment by 1.5X, but only out to the first five increments, after that use the weapons normal range increment. also low mag sights require only a move action to designate a target as opposed to an attack action for regular scopes. this effectively provides a middle ground between a full on scope and simple iron sights. this type of sight is standard equipment on the hk g36, the steyr aug, and the sa-80/L-85 british assault rifle. Note: usually a weapon with this type of sight, also has iron sights, or reflex sights to allow it to attack normally. also if your scope has a variable zoom that can go less than 4x magnification, you can spend a free action to change magnification to change the benefit from a low mag sight to that of a regular scope

night sight: this differs from the electro optical scope in one way, this type offers no magnification, and thus does not need an attack action to designate, it requires batteries and will not function without them. this type of sight does not usually come with a weapon, and must be purchased separately.

All sights that are not permanently attached to a weapon(or were not attached in the factory) must be zeroed in order to be effective. rules for zeroing are in the d20 weapons locker.

if the sight did not come with the weapon, it must be attached to an accessory rail on the top of the weapon. and you can only benefit from one at a time, but something worth noting, it is possible to have more than one type of sight on the weapon at a time.

anyhoo, those are my rules for now, i will post purchase DC's a little later.

EDIT: if you want to see what sight you have on a Real World gun then check out the link in my sig. if it is from this century and relatively well known you should find it there.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-21, 12:37 PM
invest in the Sorcery and Steam book, perfect reference book

alchemy.freak
2007-03-21, 05:10 PM
to be honest i have never heard of that book before, whats in it

alchemy.freak
2007-03-22, 09:35 AM
Scratch that, i googled it and didn't find anything. seriously what is it

alchemy.freak
2007-03-22, 11:41 AM
Here is another addition Backblast rules.

When firing a recoilless weapon, such as a Bazooka or Rocket propelled grenade it creates a very dangerous backblast. anyone within a 30 ft line behind the weapon must make a reflex save DC 15 or take 4d6 fire damage and catch fire, any flammable object will also catch fire. if there is a large solid object less than 10 ft behind the shooter, such as a wall, this damage is dealt to the shooter as well and he takes a -2 penalty to the save.

Bottom line: it may seem cheap to give the already powerful weapon and additional way to deal damage, but this can and will hurt allies and even may harm the shooter himself. it is never a good idea to fire such a weapon with allies behind them, or in a confined space.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-22, 11:43 AM
its a third party book, its right in front of me, part of legacy and lairs

Kioran
2007-03-22, 04:53 PM
Reflex sights donīt necessesarily use a laser pointer - i handled a G36, and itīs Hensoldt-reflex sight used sunlight, via prism and mirror i guess, as primary lightsource, and a lightbulb or Laser of sorts only as a fallback.

Reflex sights suck at any distance longer than 50 Meters btw., always used the low magnification sight beneath it when possible......