PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Slots

AKA_Bait
2007-03-21, 04:18 PM
I'm making a Pseudodragon character and I'm not really clear on how the magical item slots would work in this case. Bascially, what slots would a dragon type have? Certianly not all the same ones as a humanoid type.

Here is what I think it might have:

One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes
One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck
One belt around the waist
One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders Two pairs of bracers or bracelets on the arms or legs (forelegs, backlegs)
One ring on each claw (or up to two rings on one claw)

Thoughts?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-21, 04:21 PM
You can wear custom barding too, albeit at x4 the normal price.

AKA_Bait
2007-03-21, 04:22 PM
Good to know. Didn't really think about that since the character is going to be a wizard but it's something to keep in mind.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-21, 04:24 PM
Also, remember that pseudodragons have opposable thumbs and can hold and wield weapons appropriate to their size.

Damn, now I want to play a pseudodragon with a hand crossbow.

Dhavaer
2007-03-21, 04:50 PM
I think the Draconomicon has item slots for dragons, which would cover pseudodragons.

Arbitrarity
2007-03-21, 05:33 PM
Actually, a lack of item slots would seem to significantly underpower such a character at higher levels...

Can a dragon wear claw guards, or some boot equivalent, for example, or something glovelike? If not, there go gloves of dexterity, and boots of speed, unless you custom item them :/

AKA_Bait
2007-03-22, 07:56 AM
Customing stuff is less of a problem as the plan for the character is to take lots of the item creation feats and the DM is not going to be too nitpicky about needing to research. I just need to know where to put them...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-22, 08:15 AM
Page 24 of Draconicom, but the FAQ sums it up nicely.

Can a dragon wear magic rings, cloaks, bracers, and so on built by and for humanoids? Can it wield rods, staves, wands, or weapons? If it can, does it have to take off or put away its equipment when it changes forms using alternate form, or do the items it wishes to use in its new form remain intact and useable through its transformation?

As described in an earlier question, most magic items can be worn by any creature that has an appropriate body part upon which to wear it, regardless of the creature’s (or the item’s) normal size. Draconomicon has a sidebar dedicated to precisely this topic (page 24); basically, the answer is that a dragon can wear or use just about any magic item other than armor (unless it’s specially made for the dragon, of course).
As indicated in the Monster Manual errata, any gear worn or carried by a dragon that uses alternate form either stays worn or carried (if the new form can wear or carry it) or falls to the ground in its space.