PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Draenei, the Exiled Ones (Race PEACH)

Ralcos
2014-11-08, 01:39 PM
owned by Blizzard, all rights reserved and legal action stuff

Draenei, the Exiled Ones

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/233/c/e/double_draenei_ii_by_apocallisti-d6j3aey.jpg

The Draenei (pronounced as DRAN-eye, DRAHN-eye, or DRAYN-eye are a faction of uncorrupted Eredar who fled their home world of Argus, from the threat of the Burning Legion.
The Draenei culture is centered around two things: the Holy Light of Creation and magic. The first is the result of their unique relationship with the Naaru, while the second is the path that the eredar have always followed. As a result, Draenei usually choose religious professions, such as Cleric or Paladin, or magical ones, such as the Sorcerer or Wizard. A few have started to follow the path of the Druid.

As a people, the Draenei have devoted themselves to preparing for the day when they will join the Army of the Light, when they will finally take the fight back to the Burning Legion and atone for the sins of their Man'ari brethren. In spite of this overarching goal, the Draenei still lead personal lives and pursue their own interests, just as other races do.

RACIAL TRAITS
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2, while your Strength score increases by 1 OR your Intelligence score increase by 1.
Age. Draenei mature in a similar time to Humans, but are theorized to be immortal (at least in terms of aging).
Size. Draenei stand at 7' to 7'5" in height, and weigh around 230 to pounds on average. You are considered to be Medium-Sized.
Speed. Dreanei base walking speed is 30 feet.
Gift of the Naaru. As a Bonus Action, you can heal yourself or one ally that you can see within 60 feet, rolling a number of Hit Dice equal to your Wisdom modifier (Minimum: 1). This ability can be used once per Short Rest, and uses the Hit Dice of whomever is being healed.
Gemcutting. The Draenei are considered to be the best gemcutters in the realm, their skill renowned and respected by all races. You are proficient with Jeweler's Tools. In addition, you gain Advantage on any check using Jeweler's Tools.
Shadow Resistance. You have Resistance to Necrotic damage. In addition, you have Advantage on all Saving Throws involving effects that deal Necrotic damage.
Languages. You can speak, understand, and are literate in the Common and Infernal languages.

The Holy Light
The Light, referred to as the Holy Light by some cultures, is a non-theistic religious form of philosophy with adherents among a majority of races in the multiverse. The organization closest related to the Light is the Church of the Holy Light.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130813095032/wowwiki/images/0/09/Paladin_crest.png

The Holy Light teaches that there is a connection between the self and the universe. This connection manifests as what we feel through both senses and emotions. When a person is moved, through seeing something breathtaking or feeling love for another, that emotion connects him to the universe. Experiencing the emotion ensures that he exists, as something within him felt the emotions or processed the sensual awareness. Because he exists, so must the universe that gave him that feeling. From there, he can act upon the universe, causing more changes to create feeling in others. Thus, the followers of Holy Light seek to make the world a better place by being true to their own emotions.

The next step in recognizing this connection between the self and the universe is developing the goodness within and without. If one wishes for happiness, one must work to better the universe to make others happy. Experiencing the glory and beauty of the world will in turn tap into the inner beauty and glory within one's soul. However, giving in to greed, despair, and unhappiness will only darken the universe. The Holy Light is the glory of the universe reflected upon the soul and mirrored back onto itself.

Alignment: Lawful Good
Allowed Alignments: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good

Suggested Domains: Life, Light

Shamanism
Shaman are spiritual guides and practitioners, not of the divine, but of the very elements. Unlike some other mystics, shaman commune with forces that are not strictly benevolent. The elements are chaotic, and left to their own devices, they rage against one another in unending primal fury. It is the call of the shaman to bring balance to this chaos. Acting as moderators among earth, fire, water, and air, shaman summon powers that focus the elements to support the shaman’s allies or punish those who threaten them.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130813095240/wowwiki/images/d/df/Shaman_crest.png

All shamans gain their power from the Elemental Spirits, so most shamanic philosophy is the same no matter which race practices it. Access to the power of the shaman is borrowed, rather than taken. Unlike the rigid disciplines of the Holy Light which bends the power of the Light to its user through spells, shaman practitioners refer to the act of using their magic as calls, not spells. The power imparted by the elements to the shaman has a wide berth, and encompasses many forces. A shaman can diagnose and cure ailments, harness the power of the elements to defeat their opponents, and enhance the natural power of themselves and other. And these abilities are but a mere fraction of the ability of a shaman. By traversing the axis mundi and forming a special relationship with the spirits, shaman have gained access to divination, dream interpretation, astral projection, control over the weather, and a near innumerable list of abilities.

Shamanism is based on the premise that the visible world is pervaded by the invisible force of spirits that affect the living in a very strong and meaningful way. Shamanism can therefore be seen as the practical application of the concepts of animism through specialized knowledge and abilities. Shamanism is not, however, organized into full-time rituals or spiritual association as priests are.

Alignment: True Neutral
Allowed Alignments: Any Alignment.

Suggested Domains: Knowledge, Life, Nature, Tempest

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060610071400/wowwiki/images/7/7c/Broken.jpg

The Broken, also known as Krokul in Draenei,[1] are a mutated and devolved subrace of Draenei. They fell prey to the fiendish powers of a Demon Prince's sinister influence and were changed by the corruption. Though they lost some of their former powers, the Broken still present a clear danger to all races.

RACIAL TRAITS
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, while your Intelligence score increases by 1 or your Wisdom score increases by 1. This replaces the Draenei's base Ability Score Increase.
Strength of the Corrupted. You can wield a 2-handed melee weapon as if it was a Versatile weapon. However, you do not add your Strength modifier to attack rolls and damage rolls when using weapons in this way. Replaces the Gift of the Naaru trait and the Shadow Resistance trait.

DiBastet
2014-11-10, 03:16 PM
Nice, draenei are one my favorite fantasy races, and my wife's too. We shed many happy tears last year when the new expansion was confirmed and we would finally be able to see more draenei after such a long wait since BC. Now about the brew I like it, the only grip I have against it is that I would change the +2 to STR, since draenei are really big and considered to be matches for the orcs' physical might (but lacking their savagery); so I really can't really imagine them weaker than a mountain dwarf or a dragonborn as a race.

Kislath
2014-11-10, 06:41 PM
Considering their odd appearance, they would probably be considered to be some sort of demons to any D&D world dwelling peoples, and would probably suffer a -2 charisma penalty. Even orcs would be wary of such strange and dangerous looking creatures.

I would agree that they should get a +2 to strength and wisdom, +1 to INT, and a penalty of -2 to DEX. They're big and clumsy, make poor rogues, and those hooves aren't as good as feet for making the split-second micro adjustments which we humans don't even notice.

Xefas
2014-11-10, 06:55 PM
Considering their odd appearance, they would probably be considered to be some sort of demons to any D&D world dwelling peoples, and would probably suffer a -2 charisma penalty. Even orcs would be wary of such strange and dangerous looking creatures.

Meanwhile, a Balor, an actual demon has a Charisma of 22, above what it's possible for player characters to have. What you're describing isn't Charisma.

I would agree that they should get a +2 to strength and wisdom, +1 to INT, and a penalty of -2 to DEX. They're big and clumsy, make poor rogues, and those hooves aren't as good as feet for making the split-second micro adjustments which we humans don't even notice.

Races don't get ability score penalties in 5th edition. If a three-foot 40lb Halfling doesn't get a Strength penalty, "having hooves" doesn't really merit a Dexterity penalty. As another counter-example, Satyrs have a Dexterity of 16, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Although, this race already breaks the established norm for ability score adjustments, so there's that.

mr_odd
2014-11-10, 07:42 PM
I like it. The Gift of the Naaru ability seems pretty powerful, but balanced. I would make the ability score advancement strength or wisdom, not both.

Kislath
2014-11-11, 03:09 AM
Really? No ability score penalties in 5th Edition?
Wow. Okay. Sorry about that, then.

Ralcos
2014-11-14, 02:15 AM
UPDATED
Added Religions and the Broken Subrace.

toapat
2014-11-14, 10:22 AM
Draenei should have Infernal as their language known. DnD isnt exactly big on recognizing linguistic drift and then theres the fact that the draenei are for all we know immortal (several living ones being over 40000 years old) which presumably would lead moreso to linguistic stagnation then linguistic drift.

Gemcutting would in 5th be Tool Proficiency: Jeweler's Tools. (25g, 2lbs), possibly with advantage to the checks using the kit.

Personally for DnD terms though i would make Draenei have below 2000 years of maximum life span. I dont believe dragons are even immortal this edition, and dragon Max ages tend to start at 2000 years. Simply put, nothing native/natural should be completely immortal

shouldnt shadow resistance be damage resistance against necrotic damage?

Honestly, this is probably a better edition for Warcraft supplemental material than 3rd ed was.

(Note: Warcraft is still my favorite MMOs, just trying to prod this towards how 5th represents these mechanics or how DnD handles certain things.)

Ralcos
2014-11-14, 12:29 PM
UPDATED
Changes based on toapat's suggestions.

toapat
2014-11-14, 08:05 PM
UPDATED
Changes based on toapat's suggestions.

its a Jeweler's tools, not a Gemcutter's tools. i checked the PHB to make sure i was using the correct name in relation to the book. 5th might not be big on RAW but you still have to use the right name of the tool proficiency if its not a game set. In which case Game Proficiency: DnD 3rd Ed.

otherwise we just need something to represent that draenei, at least in DnD, would be mistaken for fiends at first. Granted, i dont remember any of the "archetypical" ones being blue/purple instead of red