PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gish - The Class

Waterdeep Merch
2014-11-10, 06:47 AM
Foreward: I have a player that adored his swordmage from 4e and was a little miffed at his nearest equivalent in 5th, the eldritch knight. In the interest of keeping all of my players happy, I decided to go the extra mile and try and make a flavorful, interesting class with plenty of choices inherent in the kit to reward thoughtful building.
I very much based the power level of this class on the paladin chassis, which I feel is about the most balanced class in the game and a very fun one to boot. I also did my best to outright ape the writing style of the PHB and Basic Rules PDF. To utilize this class, you will need a PHB.
But I'm sure you already knew that.

Gish

The githyanki have fought with both spell and sword for eons across the vast multiverse, a scourge to countless worlds and civilizations since recorded history. In their tongue, the word 'gish', meaning 'skilled', refers to an accomplished warrior that can effortlessly enhance their deadly martial prowess with potent magics. Many sects throughout the cosmos that have faced invasions by the githyanki have learned to replicate their fighting style- though most in modern times are ignorant of their origins.

The Gish

Spell
Slots
per
Spell
Level

Level
Proficiency
Class Features
Spells Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

+2
Fighting Style, Eldritch Ward
--
--
--
--
--
--

+2
Spellcasting, Battle Magic
--
--
--
--

+2
Gish Forme
--
--
--
--

+2
Ability Score Improvement
--
--
--
--

+3
Extra Attack
--
--
--

+3
Aura of Resolve
--
--
--

+3
Forme Feature
--
--
--

+3
--
--
--

+4
Elemental Control
--
--

+4
--
--
--

+4
Improved Battle Magic
--
--

+4
--
--

+5
--
--

+5
Elemental Resistance
--

+5
Forme Feature
--

+5
--

+6
--

+6
Improved Aura of Resolve

+6
Second Element, Ability Score Improvement

+6
Forme Feature

Class Features
As a gish, you gain the following class features.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10 per gish level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per gish level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Constitution, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, History, Insight, and Intimidation

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
(a) a martial weapon and a chain shirt or (b) two martial weapons and leather armor
(a) five javelins and a shield or (b) a shortbow and 20 arrows
(a) a scholar's pack or (b) an explorer's pack

Fighting Style
You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.

Great Weapon Fighting
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Protection
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

Two-Weapon Fighting
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage roll of the second attack.

Eldritch Ward
A gish can draw energies from the ethereal plane to strengthen himself against blows in an instant.
When a creature makes a successful attack against you (but before damage is rolled), you may use your reaction to gain the effects of the spell blade ward against that attack. Unlike blade ward, the spell immediately ends after the damage is applied for the attack it was used against and grants resistance against natural weapons as well.

Spellcasting
As important as their swordplay, a gish is a practiced spellcaster, able to draw from the abjuration, enchantment and evocation schools of magic. Though their prowess is less refined than a wizard and less powerful than a sorcerer, they have a wide variety of spells at their disposal to enhance their deadly abilities.
Starting at 2nd level, you learn how to cast arcane spells through your training and dedication to martial and magical perfection.

Spell Slots
The Gish table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
For example, if you know the 1st level spell armor of agathys and have a 1st level and a 2nd level spell slot available, you can cast armor of agathys using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know three 1st level wizard spells of your choice which you must choose from the abjuration, enchantment or evocation schools on the wizard spell list.
The Spells Known column of the Gish table shows when you learn more wizard spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be an abjuration, enchantment or evocation spell of your choice and must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach level 9 you can learn one new spell of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level.
Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the wizard spells you know with another spell of your choice from the wizard spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, and it must be an abjuration, enchantment or evocation spell.

Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your wizard spells, since you learn your spells through study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throws for a wizard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus +
your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus +
your Intelligence modifier

Battle Magic
A gish can ensorcell their weapon to apply the effects of a spell onto an enemy they strike. As a bonus action once per turn, you may cast any spell that requires a spell attack or an opposed saving throw onto a melee weapon you are wielding. Until the end of your next turn, the next time you hit with that weapon in melee combat causes the spell to activate. If it requires a spell attack, it automatically succeeds. Resolve the spell as normal against the target; the spell is then lost as normal. If the spell may have effects on anyone other than the target of your attack, those effects are lost.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

Aura of Resolve
Starting at 6th level, whenever you or a friendly creature within 10 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell, you gain advantage on the roll.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Elemental Control
A seasoned gish learns how to manipulate the fundamental forces of the planes to suit him. At 9th level, choose an element- fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison, or psychic. Whenever you would deal spell damage, you may change the damage type to the element you chose. Additionally, when dealing damage with your chosen element, you deal 1d8 extra damage of that type.

Improved Battle Magic
Diligent training has shown you how to infuse your weapon with two spells at once. At 11th level, whenever you use your Battle Magic feature, you may cast two spells at once. When you hit with your weapon, you choose which spell is activated. The other remains until the next time you hit or until the end of your next turn as normal.
This feature cannot be used if there is still a spell left in your weapon.

Elemental Resistance
Your mastery over your chosen element allows you to better withstand its effects. When you reach 14th level, you gain resistance to the same element you chose for your Elemental Control feature. If you already had resistance from any other source, you instead become immune to that element.

Second Element
You have learned to harness another elemental plane. At 19th level, you gain a second element for your Elemental Control feature. You also gain the accompanying Elemental Resistance feature.

Gish Forme
There are three prominent Formes practiced by gishes, each descending from the ancient practices of the gith. Many non-gith gishes are unaware that there are Formes other than the one they have learned, passing down the techniques of their Forme throughout the ages.
Your chosen Forme grants you features at 3rd level and again at 7th, 15th and 20th level.

Forme of Deceit
Some gith learned to use the powers of their ancient masters, the illithid. They learned to manipulate the minds of their foes in and out of battle, staying one step ahead of them.

Forme of Deceit Spells

Gish Level
Spells

3rd
Disguise Self, Silent Image

5th
Ray of Enfeeblement, Levitate

9th
Fear, Major Image

13th
Fabricate, Evard's Black Tentacles

17th
Mislead, Seeming

Mirage
Your weapon is not always where it appears to be, shifting in and out of sight at times. At 3rd level, whenever you have a spell ensorcelled in your weapon due to your Battle Magic feature, you gain advantage when attacking with that weapon.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with the Deception and Persuasion skills.

Adept of the Unreal
At 3rd level, you can use the wizard cantrip minor illusion.

Illusionist Ward
Even your ward is spelled to confuse and befuddle, making your foes wonder if they had struck you at all. At 7th level, whenever you use your Eldritch Ward ability you become invisible to your attacker until the end of your next turn or the first time you attack or cast a spell.

Clever Mind
Practitioners of the Forme of Deceit are very difficult to fool and even more difficult to control. Starting at 15th level, you can no longer be charmed and your mind cannot be read by telepathy unless you allow it. You also gain advantage on any insight check to tell when someone is trying to deceive you.

Double
You have learned how to make an illusion of yourself physically real. At 20th level, once a week you may create a double of yourself that follows the rules for the wizard spell simulacrum with the following exceptions: it requires no components (being made of solidified magical energy), your double may never use this ability or have the spell simulacrum affect them, and the double will dissipate automatically after 24 hours.

Forme of the Traveler
The most popular Forme amongst the githyanki, the traveler specializes in moving between the planes and conjuring deadly planar creatures and effects.

Forme of the Traveler Spells

Gish Level
Spells

3rd
Find Familiar, Jump

5th
Flaming Sphere, Misty Step

9th
Sleet Storm, Nondetection

13th
Dimension Door, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound

17th
Telekinesis, Conjure Elemental

Ethereal Step
The spells you place in your blade give you a taste of the power held within, allowing you to move into the shadowfell temporarily. At 3rd level, whenever you have a spell ensorcelled in your weapon due to your Battle Magic feature, your move action becomes a teleport. You may not exceed your regular movement distance, as normal.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor.

Mental Grasp
At 3rd level, you can use the wizard cantrip mage hand. The hand is always invisible.

Disjunction
You can use your Eldritch Ward to bend space, displacing your attacker. At 7th level, whenever you use your Eldritch Ward you may teleport the attacker up to 10 feet in any direction you can see. This does not prevent the damage or effects of the attack as being hit is still a requirement for using Eldritch Ward, though it may prevent effects reliant on remaining adjacent to you as normal, such as grappling. If the attacker was on solid ground when it made the attack it must be teleported back onto solid ground.

Uncontrollable
Travelers are free spirits by nature, and eventually become virtually incapable of being bound. At 7th level, you may use a reaction once per long rest to get the effects of the spell freedom of movement until the end of your next turn. You may use this reaction even if you are under an effect that would prevent a reaction, provided that the freedom of movement spell could end it.
At 15th level, you may use this feature twice per long rest. At 20th level, this increases to three times per long rest.

Arcane Will
The trained traveler is not easily mislead by magic. Starting at 15th level, you may add your Intelligence modifier to any Wisdom saving throw against a spell or spell-like ability.

Telekinetic Weapon
You can control your weapon with the power of your mind alone. At 20th level, after spending at least one hour attuning to a melee weapon of your choice you may direct it to float up to 20 feet away from you and wield it with your mind. While doing this, use your Intelligence modifier for attack and damage rolls, and it can provoke attacks of opportunity using your reaction. Your weapon moves on your turn, shares your movement speed and has flying. You may add spells to your weapon using Battle Magic without needing to touch it so long as the weapon remains within 20 feet.
You can return your weapon to your hand as a free action. You may only have one such melee weapon attuned at a time.

Forme of Patience
Though few githyanki today practice the Forme of Patience, their brethren the githzerai who still practice the ancient war arts of the gish prefer this Forme almost exclusively.

Forme of Patience Spells

Gish Level
Spells

3rd
Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic

5th
Invisibility, Magic Weapon

9th
Clairvoyance, Tongues

13th
Greater Invisibility, Phantasmal Killer

17th
Cloudkill, Scrying

Foresight
Your magic can better attune you to the multiverse, giving you a limited degree of omniscience. At 3rd level, whenever you have a spell ensorcelled in your weapon due to your Battle Magic feature, all attacks against you have disadvantage and you gain advantage on dexterity saving throws.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Dexterity saving throws.

Minor Telepathy
At 3rd level, you gain the wizard cantrip message.

Portent
You can see an enemy's attack before it comes, responding to it to protect a comrade. At 7th level, you may use your Eldritch Ward to teleport adjacent to an ally that has been hit by an attack, taking the damage and any effects from the blow instead. You still gain the normal benefits of Eldritch Ward when blocking in this manner.

Strength from Within
Your magic infuses your health, soothing wounds and restoring vigor. At 15th level, whenever you successfully cast a spell you regain hit points equal to 2 x the level of the spell slot used.

Split Focus
The patient gish has wells of mental focus that few can match. Starting at 20th level, you can concentrate on two spells instead of one so long as each only targets yourself.

Spell List

1st Level
Alarm
Burning Hands
Charm Person
Chromatic Orb
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Protection from Evil and Good
Shield
Sleep
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Thunderwave
Witch Bolt

2nd Level
Arcane Lock
Continual Flame
Crown of Madness
Darkness
Gust of Wind
Hold Person
Melf's Acid Arrow
Scorching Ray
Shatter
Suggestion

3rd Level
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Fireball
Glyph of Warding
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Lightning Bolt
Magic Circle
Nondetection
Protection from Energy
Remove Curse
Sending

4th Level
Banishment
Confusion
Fire Shield
Ice Storm
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
Stoneskin
Wall of Fire

5th Level
Bigby's Hand
Cone of Cold
Dominate Person
Geas
Hold Monster
Modify Memory
Planar Binding
Wall of Force
Wall of Stone

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-11-12, 12:14 PM
Looks pretty good mostly, but IMO you need to tighten up the action economy. I would make Battle Magic a bonus action. Alot more minor actions than spellcasts cost bonus actions.

Travelers are free spirits by nature, and eventually become virtually incapable of being bound. At 15th level, you cannot be affected by movement impairing effects exactly as though you were under a freedom of movement spell.

i also ahve quibbles with this. the closest i can think offhand is the monk and berserker abilities to clear status effects by spending an action. The clear parallel is costing an action to clear any movement impairing effects, or being able to cast Freedom of Movement as a bonus action (reaction?) twice/longrest or something similar.

Waterdeep Merch
2014-11-12, 01:38 PM
I would make Battle Magic a bonus action. Alot more minor actions than spellcasts cost bonus actions.

That's fair. I was concerned with making the class mesh with two-weapon fighting in case any of my players wanted to try it, but in retrospect it just makes the other combat forms that much more lucrative. More a fault of TWF in 5e, really.

i also ahve quibbles with this. the closest i can think offhand is the monk and berserker abilities to clear status effects by spending an action. The clear parallel is costing an action to clear any movement impairing effects, or being able to cast Freedom of Movement as a bonus action (reaction?) twice/longrest or something similar.

Another good point. I think I like it costing a reaction and having limited uses, as it requires a certain tactical panache since it would by necessity interfere with their primary defensive mechanism, Eldritch Ward. I think I'll try switching the level it's obtained with Arcane Will, and give additional uses/day at levels 15 and 20.

Ziegander
2014-11-12, 01:46 PM
You've done a really great job with this class, just so you know. I've been following along, and this looks wonderful.

Black Mage
2014-11-12, 03:33 PM
I really like this class, and may use it as an option in my games. I do have one question though, regarding Arcane Will. What happens if the character is already proficient in wisdom saves? I'm not sure if this is covered in the phb or not. Would the bonus stack for saves against spells? Or would it be a useless ability?

Waterdeep Merch
2014-11-12, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, my player is about a month away from giving this class a heavy-duty work out in a rather deadly campaign I've been working on. I'll be keeping things updated to prevent inborn abuse from cropping up, as well as streamlining the general mechanics. This is 5e, after all.

On that note-

I do have one question though, regarding Arcane Will. What happens if the character is already proficient in wisdom saves? I'm not sure if this is covered in the phb or not. Would the bonus stack for saves against spells? Or would it be a useless ability?

I believe there is a rule preventing stacking proficiency bonuses on the same roll. I hadn't really considered it a problem when I wrote it, but looking back at it there's a more elegant solution- instead of a proficiency bonus, I think I'll change it to adding your Intelligence modifier to spell-based Wisdom saves. It's almost as good at high levels, much stronger in a few multiclass builds, and there's precedent for stacking different modifiers on a save in the paladin's Aura of Protection.

It's also a better fit thematically, using magical defenses (Intelligence) to cover for a magical weakness (Wisdom).

Black Mage
2014-11-12, 05:01 PM
Maybe let them make Intelligence saves in place of Wisdom saves for magic effects? That way you don't have a problem with stacking, and even if they are proficient in Wisdom saves, odds are their Intelligence will be higher as it's a core ability for them..