PDA

View Full Version : Set to Stun [Magic Weapon Special Ability]

mikeejimbo
2007-03-22, 04:41 PM
Stunning

All damage the weapon deals is nonlethal. Any living creature struck by this weapon must make a Will save at DC 15 or be paralyzed for 1d6 rounds. They may make attempt another Will save to see if they break free every round they're paralyzed. On command, the weapon suppresses this ability until commanded to resume it. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the stunning effect upon their ammunition.

Moderate Enchantment; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Hold Monster; Price +2 bonus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is that it would be used by law enforcement to take in people without permanent harm. I especially like the idea of having it on a crossbow, so you could "set it to stun," so to speak.

Yakk
2007-03-22, 05:11 PM
Save should be fixed (say, DC 15), and the target should get a save every round.

As is stands, a simple 40 damage is an "I win" attack, even on targets with 100s of HP.

Khantalas
2007-03-22, 05:18 PM
Stunning

...Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the merciful effect upon their ammunition.

Hmm... So, two enhancements in place of one?

mikeejimbo
2007-03-22, 07:52 PM
Save should be fixed (say, DC 15), and the target should get a save every round.

As is stands, a simple 40 damage is an "I win" attack, even on targets with 100s of HP.

Yeah, that's quite true, actually... the save DC needs to be changed. I originally envisioned it for bows and crossbows, which wouldn't give that much damage. I didn't really see my error until I was discussing it with someone else earlier today (but after I posted it).

Hmm... So, two enhancements in place of one?

Actually, by how I wrote it, it seems you only get the merciful if it's in bow or crossbow form. :smalltongue: The reason I made that mistake is because I copied the SRD text from merciful so I could get the wording close, and forgot to mention that. That said, adding merciful to it wouldn't do anything but an extra 1d6 non-lethal damage.

Fizban
2007-03-22, 08:33 PM
I disagree, the DC needs to scale somehow. Weapon abilities with static DC's are pratically useless by the time you can buy them. I'm guessing you started it with DC=10+damage dealt? Maybe 10+1/2 damage dealt or 10+the amount by which you beat the opponenet's AC. Or heck, just 10+enhancment bonus of weapon+wielder's str bonus.

With the 1/2 damage dealt and amount you beat AC by, it should be +2-3. With the last one, it should probably be +4-5.

Icewalker
2007-03-23, 01:00 AM
10 + enhancement + str sounds pretty good, if a bit low, maybe 15 + those.

I like it, although quite powerful. You should get a bonus to subsequent saves after the first stunning, because otherwise you would just keep restunning them and they couldn't really do much about it.

Angafirith
2007-03-23, 02:05 AM
I like this enchantment. Do you mind if I use it in my campaign and post it on my private campaign wiki, with a link to this thread?

Yakk
2007-03-23, 10:20 AM
You are aware that the "set to stun" on phasers was "this weapon would kill the target, but instead we knock them out".

Merciful (does an extra +1d6 damage, but all of the damage is non-lethal) basically creates this effect.

Also note that strength is far easier to buff up than mental stats are.

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-23, 11:37 AM
I like this enchantment. Do you mind if I use it in my campaign and post it on my private campaign wiki, with a link to this thread?

hmm me too.
Can we?

and this is a good ability but the DC should be 10+enchantment+Int modifier (casue Int is what you use to deal nonlethal damage...I think)

mikeejimbo
2007-03-23, 12:40 PM

hmm me too.
Can we?

and this is a good ability but the DC should be 10+enchantment+Int modifier (casue Int is what you use to deal nonlethal damage...I think)

Yes, you can definitely use it.

And while I personally like the idea of a scaling DC, I no longer want it to be based off of Strength.

You are aware that the "set to stun" on phasers was "this weapon would kill the target, but instead we knock them out".

Merciful (does an extra +1d6 damage, but all of the damage is non-lethal) basically creates this effect.

Also note that strength is far easier to buff up than mental stats are.

And that's why, Yakk is quite right that strength is easier to buff up. The only problem I have with the merciful effect is that it could take a while to knock someone unconscious with it, especially if you're using a crossbow. The thing is that I originally envisioned this effect on a crossbow, and that wouldn't add strength at all. I like Spartacus' suggestion of 10 + enhancement + Int mod, actually.