PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 8 Bit Subclasses (Giving Everyone Nice Things) (WIP!!!)

Perseus
2014-11-19, 10:30 PM
Hi! This is my attempt to make a few subclasses for 5e D&D that will give everyone nice things. These will take the work of Brian Clevinger and bring it to the D&D world... If you have not read 8 Bit Theater then you really really should... http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/03/02/episode-001-were-going-where/

If you are not in favor of everyone getting nice things (mainly non-casters) then I suggest you avert your eyes for your stomach will not be able to hold its contents for long.

Basic Rule: Multiclassing is barred between these subclasses, you can only have one 8 Bit subclass... Taking two would make you 16 bit and thus your abilities would no longer work in this new area of existence.

Fighter Martial Archetype

Level 3

Zodiac Kenshido: Choose one of Master Vargus's Zodiac styles to employ, sadly you didn't actually pay attention at Fighter camp or you may have learned more than one... Once per turn whenever you have advantage against a target or an ally within 5' of the target, you may apply your Zodiac Kenshido Style along with your weapon attack you hit the target with. The DC for your ability is 8 + Strength Modifier + Proficiency Bonus.

Ram Style: You gain the ability to break your enemies equipment with your head before they break your head with their equipment... Yeah you read that right. You head butt your enemy's equipment in effort to Sunder the item (giving it the sundered condition). The target gets a Dexterity Save to negate the Sunder*.

Snake Style: You gain ability to strike like the poisonous snake, hint why it's called snake style... Anyways, when you are able to strike with this style the target can not regain hit points until the start of your next turn. A constitution saving throw negates this effect.

Two Fist Monkey Style:

Tiger Fang Strike:

Dragon Fire Attack: Your attack is so powerful that it causes a large explosion. The target and all enemies within 10' take additional fire and bludgeoning damage equal to double your strength modifier.

Superior McFighter: Unless the base weapon damage is higher, your base weapon damage when you are using a two handed weapon is 2d6, when you are using a one handed weapon it is 1d10. You add your strength modifier to all weapon damage rolls. You gain proficiency with swordchucks* and improvised weapons.

Additionally when you are wearing medium or heavy armor your AC is set at 18. You may still gain the benefit of magic armor, shields, protection style, and any other effect that raises your AC that isn't a spell (such as Shield or Mage Armor). You may sleep in your armor to no ill effect and you have resistance to any falling damage you may take.

Level 7

Fighterdoken/Medoken: When an ally throws you, or if you throw yourself, you may deliver your Zodiac Kenshido attack as a bonus action before or after you take your action even if you don't have advantage or a an ally within 5' of the target... If you do this more than once per battle your crazy is telegraphed through your moves and the target can easily evade granting them advantage against your action attack and on the saving throw to resist your style attack...

Drownball Champion: Either you have the most endurance in the world or you just simply forget you need to breathe, whichever the case you can survive for 8 hours without breathing.

Improved Second Wind: Your second wind heals 50% of your max HP instead of the normal 1d10+Fighter Level.

Level 10

Block: You may use your reaction to nullify any attack against yourself or a creature within your weapon's reach (reach weapons add 5' for this purpose). Additionally if you choose to take the dodge action on your turn you may choose yourself or a creature within your weapon's reach and nullify all attacks against the one you chose until the start of your next turn.

Additionally when you fall from any height you may block the earth and thus take no damage (free action).

Dr. Swordopolis: You add your proficiency bonus to damage rolls. Double your proficiency bonus to damage on a critical hit.
Level 15

Greatly Improved Zodiac Kenshido Style : At level 15 your Zodiac Kenshido style greatly improves. Targets now have disadvantage against your Zodiac Kenshido style attacks and you may use it twice per turn.

Great Second Wind: Whenever you use your second wind it heals 75% of your max HP instead of 50% of your max HP.

Level 18

"Hint-I can block any attack and kill anything that bleeds" AKA "Glorious Chainsaw Method": Actually, you lied, it doesn't even have to bleed... If you hit a creature or object that has 100 hit points or less with a weapon attack, the attack is a critical hit and your damage is maximized. This ability works on creatures and items normally immune to critical hits.

24 (4d6) + 12 (double prof) + 5 (Str) = 41 damage without magical items and feats... 4 attacks for 164 damage. If you can hit it, it will die due to being under 100 HP and if it does have resistance... Well Action surge will bring this up to 328... Half of which is still over 100. If you hit, it will die.

Sunder: You give an item the [Sunder] condition which means that anyone using the item can not add their proficiency bonus when using it. *insert more info on Sunder later*

Hadoken:
Missiledoken:

"Half Circle Back to Front": As an action, an ally may grab you and perform a cantrip. You aren't really sure how they can do this but you have long since stopped questioning things like this. As you level up higher level spells become available for your allies to manipulate you into using. Consult the following table for the highest level spell available to be used.

Blue Magic:
Helldoken:

Fighter Martial Archetype

Level 3
Rearrange: As an action you may switch any skill choices that you have previously made/been given based on race, class, background, or class feature with another skill. Additionally as an action you may reallocate your racial ability bonuses to different ability scores. For example if you are an Elf (+2 Dex/+1 Int) then you may take those scores and place them into something like (+2Str/+1Con). You can not break up or add ability scores together and must keep them as they come as their total bonuses. (dwarven redmages might be very very popular)

Spells: You gain the spells known, spells per day, and cantrip known of a Sorcerer of your level. However you may learn spells from the Cleric or Wizard spell list but they must be Healing/Restorative Spells (any school... False Life is necromancy but works) or from the Evocation or Conjuration school. Your cantrips may be from any school. Intelligence is your spell casting ability score.

You lose the ability to wear heavy armor and shields

You only gain extra attack at level 5.

Level 7
Double Cast: When you cast a spell of 3rd level or lower you may cast the same spell again against the same target.

But I don't know I died...: When you fall to 0 HP, and not killed outright, you may as a free action use any healing spell you have on yourself. This expands spells as normal and once you run out of spells... Well... Hope that doesn't happen.

Level 10

Mime: You may use your action perform the same ability you have seen within the last round. You can not duplicate effects that come from a level (or CR) higher than your level. You can not mime yourself or another mime. If you duplicate a spell then you must give up a spell slot of the same level or higher.

Patron Avatar Megahedron: Your hallucinations give you insight of what's to come... You have advantage on all saving throws.

Level 15
Greater Rearrange: As an action you may replace your feats with other feats or change them to ASIs or hell even change your ASIs to feats. Also, as an action, you may rearrange your ASI choices. You must still follow all rules for ASI but you are just able to make the choice again with a different outcome.

Level 18
Data Sphere Casting (WIP): As an action you may once per long rest cast all your spells at once. This omni spell does SpellSlotsd12 damage in a 30' radius. The damage type is Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing, and all elements at once (thus to resist or be immune to this you must be immune to all forms of damage at one time). If you need something killed this is usually the way to go, unless you need something left afterwards as this spell wipes the creature from the plane (seriously nothing is left) if the creature dies.

Any creatures damaged by this spell is pushed 100' in a random direction.

You must use all spells you have available when you use this ability.

The target can make a saving throw if they wish (Str, Dex, or Con save) but this spell always does at least half damage. Sadly Block does work against this omni spell... Damn that Fighter...

"Know Every Move In the Game": During a short or long rest you may exchange your spell known for any other spells in the game. You are still limited on how many you can prepare and such but you are not limited by class spell list.

3:Steal Anything,

"Damn it Thief": You may use your reaction to move half speed and then hide whenever you roll initiative, even during a surprise round.

Summon Law Ninjas: As an action you may call upon your Law Ninjas, when you do as such four CR 1/2 Law Ninjas (see below) appear within 60'. They appear and do your bidding for two rounds (they act after your turn has been completed this round and the next) before disappearing into the shadows. Part of summoning the Ninjas is giving them a general command such as *defend*, *kill*, or *help*. You may use a bonus action to give specific actions to your Ninjas. You may summon these ninjas once per short or long rest (they wont be prepared unless you give them time in between their attacks).

9: Double Jump, Throw Anything/Anyone, Counter Attack
13: Steal the Unstealable, Insane Ninja Hiding Ability,

Summon Law Ninja II: When you summon your law ninjas there are 6 of them and they are each CR 1 Law Ninjas.
17:

Perseus
2014-11-19, 10:31 PM
Reserved for later use

Perseus
2014-11-19, 10:32 PM
Reserved for Ranger (done reserving)

MReav
2014-11-19, 11:37 PM
I think Red Mage might work better as a bard, maybe a Paladin with the Oath of the Munchkin.

Perseus
2014-11-19, 11:47 PM
I think Red Mage might work better as a bard, maybe a Paladin with the Oath of the Munchkin.

I thought of Bard but all the extra stuff the bard gets would have to be fixed up.

I thought about paladin, but then I remembered that Red Mage can cast Ice 9. Thebspell casting of the paladin just isn't enough to match redmage.

Though I do need to give a massive boost to his spells known at level 18...

DiBastet
2014-11-22, 11:38 AM
Yeah, Bard would fit nicely.

Also, kudos on using the names of the abilities from the strip.

Perseus
2014-11-22, 05:28 PM
Yeah, Bard would fit nicely.

Also, kudos on using the names of the abilities from the strip.

Thanks! I'm mostly adding in names that I can remember, I'm starting to read the comic again so that's helping. As I make new abilities I'll eventually go through and use more official names so that people can connect the D&D ability with what it did in the comic.

Of course, we don't get to see Glorious Chainsaw Method in the comic... But that name just had to be in this no matter what :).

The Bard... Well it really doesn't have enough OOMPH that redmage requires. Also expertise and jack of all trades types would normally be good, however Red Mage isn't a jack of all trades but erases his skills and gains new ones. Giving a really cool new abilit to a Fighter works a lot better than going off what the Bard gets. Rearranging skills might be the single funnest ability, well until you can rearrange ASI/feats, that I've placed on here thus far.